• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

adf (dot) ly / j(dot) gs malvertising alert

Hi everyone, I have something to ask.

this past few weeks, whenever i opened link to adf (dot) ly / j(dot) gs my norton security always warn me that it blocked intrusion alert.

The detection name is Malvertisement Website Redirect 4.

The thing that makes me puzzled that it almost never happened before this past few weeks, that and most of other people who opened the link don't seemed to get any problem or complaining about it. I wonder if this is dangerous or its another case of false positive.

Thank you

Replies

Kudos0

Re: adf (dot) ly / j(dot) gs malvertising alert

Hi, Dainsleaf. No problem for me to get to this.

Likely a false positive, but you can submit it to Symantec for re-evaluation, or just exclude the URL.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-report-false-positives

@Dainsleaf

Windows 10 X64 Creators Update
Kudos0

@F 4 E 

does this mean you can access those sites normally without any alert from your norton?

I want to ask whether other people that usually use those sites as form of redirection got similar alert or not as this has been going on for weeks and I still got similar warning.

that said I am really scared to access those sites with those alert going arounds...

Kudos0

Hi, Dainsleaf. Yes, I was able to access these sites with no blocking by Norton.

However, I'm on V 22.9 as 22.10 is being currently throttled on release, so that may be the reason.

Kudos0

mine also on 22.9
that said I am not sure whether just opening adf (dot) ly / j(dot) gs normally will trigger the norton or not
these sites after all are ads website, so it might take opening specific ad link to trigger it

though in my case whenever some website redirect me through those sites my norton will report something

Kudos0

This is why Norton picks it up--------as a redirect as you've found.

You could try running MalwareBytes Free Edition as a back up scanner to see what it finds.

Also to quote peterweb

Also you can try installing an ad blocker in your browsers. Often these redirects come from malicious coded ads on the web sites.

Kudos0

Adfly and jgs are both websites made to monetize links, although I do not think they control their ads properly. It could be, that the ads that are shown are malicious and would cause serious issues. As people have mentioned, double check your PC with Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro, that should clear up any confusion. And just in case, check if you don't have suspicious browser add-ons.

Kudos0

gah, even though i just finished 9 hours full system scan with malwarebyte last night... 

I'll just do normal threat scan tonight and full norton scan... I seriously don't have time for this... 

also, I did use adblocker but I need to unblock it as I was trying to access a link

Kudos0

Most ad blockers have whitelists, if you want to support the websites or need to visit them, you can add them to the whitelist without any issues.

Kudos0

Kudos0

@bjm_

as I previously mentioned I am not sure whether just opening adf (dot) ly / j(dot) gs normally will trigger the norton or not
these sites after all are ads website, so it might take opening specific ad link to trigger it

Kudos0

I get the impression this site isn't very safe or trustworthy. Perhaps find a safer alterative?