• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox 54.0.1. has disabled Norton Toolbar add-on 2017.9.2.2 updated on 10-Jul-2017

Hi,

Firefox 54.0.1 has disabled the Norton Toolbar add-on, which seems to have been updated yesterday, i.e. 10-Jul-2017 to version 2017.9.2.2 as Firefox says it is unverified. Exact info displayed is "Norton Security Toolbar could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled". I have Norton Security Standard installed on my laptop, which is also updated to version 22.9.4.8.

Does Norton has a fix for this, as I feel it's unsafe to browse with the Norton Toolbar disabled, with so many viruses & spyware coming up these days ?

Thanks

Ramesh

NIS 2015 | Windows 8.1 (64-bit) with SP1 | 4Gb RAM
Labels: Firefox

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 54.0.1. has disabled Norton Toolbar add-on 2017.9.2.2 updated on 10-Jul-2017

OK re-did it all. It did not create a new coFFAddons folder even after multiple Live Updates (which found none) and shut-down/re-starts. I have left the coFFAddons folder renamed in hopes it will eventually pop-up and offer a fix. I noticed that my version of NSTB is newer than the two you are referring to, thinking its not trying to install a newer one cause there is not a newer one, I wouldn't think it would offer to go back to an earlier version. Tamper protection is back on.

Kudos0

Re: Firefox 54.0.1. has disabled Norton Toolbar add-on 2017.9.2.2 updated on 10-Jul-2017

Peterweb:  I think there is possibly a direct link between Norton Security Toolbar's lack of support for the new Firefox multiprocess feature and the Toolbar being disabled by Firefox 54.

However, I have taken your advice and started a new thread to discuss Symantec's support for these two new features in Firefox:

• Firefox's Multiple Content Processes
  • WebExtensions

I think that in the near future, Firefox will automatically disable any add-on that does not support the above two features.

Anyone interested in the above subject:  Here is the thread I started. Customers are already being impacted by Symantec's lack of support for Firefox's multiprocess feature (i.e., the Toolbar is being disabled in Firefox 54). Hopefully (with some nudging from customers) Symantec can get out in front of this and quickly support the two new Firefox features.

Kudos0

Well, strange morning. I tried again to run Norton Remove and ReInstall Tool, once again it got error and would not UNINSTALL but WOULD remove. So ran remove and re-installed via NortonNSDownloader.exe. After a few blips about browser and couple restarts, one load new version, and Live Updates til none...I now have:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Firefox 54.0.1 32-bit

Norton Security 22.9.4.8

Norton Security Toolbar 2017.9.2.2 ENABLED IN FIREFOX

(of course multi process still 0/1 disabled due to addons

Guess it's just a matter of time before Live Update gets me back up to date and Mozilla disabled NSTB again.

Kudos0

Freebird, I've been following your long, long journey to get this resolved, and am very happy for you to FINALLY have the toolbar enabled in Firefox !!! Read the book "Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance".
Kudos0

My new and old laptops both had Norton Security Toolbar 2017.11.0.1 enabled on July 6. The new laptop had the problem, resolved by removing-reinstalling FF, Live Updates and restart. (I opened a different thread). Multiprocess Windows is disabled by add-ons.
Kudos0

freebirdwil:

Well, strange morning. I tried again to run Norton Remove and ReInstall Tool, once again it got error and would not UNINSTALL but WOULD remove. So ran remove and re-installed via NortonNSDownloader.exe. After a few blips about browser and couple restarts, one load new version, and Live Updates til none...I now have:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Firefox 54.0.1 32-bit

Norton Security 22.9.4.8

Norton Security Toolbar 2017.9.2.2 ENABLED IN FIREFOX

(of course multi process still 0/1 disabled due to addons

Guess it's just a matter of time before Live Update gets me back up to date and Mozilla disabled NSTB again.

Can you confirm that the toolbar version displayed in FF add-ons manager is 2017.9.2.2 and not 2017.9.0.2 as I am confused by your last sentence about Live Update. Double-click the add-on in add-ons manager, or click the 'More' link.

I'm not sure if anyone else has managed to do a new install with 2017.9.2.2 and have it enabled in FF.

Kudos0

MyName13

OCD...both a blessing and a curse,can't really relax when problems need solving, oh dear...problems ALWAYS need solving.

Kudos0

WalkingMan

Yes I can confirm as follows:

VERSIONS WHEN LIVE UPDATE STARTED PROBLEM:

Windows 10 64-bit (1607-not Creator's)...Firefox 54.0.1...Norton Security 22.10.0.83 NSTB 2017.11.0.1

CURRENT VERSIONS WITH NSTB ENABLED:

Windows 10 64-bit (1607-not Creator's)...Firefox 54.0.1...Norton Security 22.9.4.8    NSTB 2017.9.2.2

(I have a suspicion Norton has figured out the 22.10.0.83 update messed things up and has blocked it til fixed, cause I got backed up and now I can't get any updates for 2 days and not on latest version NS or NSTB)

Kudos0

Freebirdwil:

CURRENT VERSIONS WITH NSTB ENABLED:

Windows 10 64-bit (1607-not Creator's)...Firefox 54.0.1...Norton Security 22.9.4.8    NSTB 2017.9.2.2

That's interesting, as users like myself with the same versions of FF, Norton and NSTB have experienced the add-on disabled by FF. The only difference seems to be that we reached those versions of Norton and NTSB over a period of time through LU, whereas you have uninstalled and done a new install. Your original problem config was with newer versions of Norton and NTSB installed via LU (by selected roll-out, as they are not yet on general release) and had the same add-on disabled by FF issue.

This makes me wonder if there is some other issue at play due to the LU process being different from a fresh install. However, I'm not sufficiently concerned to go to the length of uninstalling and then doing a fresh install just to prove a point, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else doing a fresh install has had the same success as yourself.

Kudos0

WalkingMan you are correct in the steps of my journey. LU had me up to date on both and NSTB went bad,remove and reinstall(via NSDownloader.exe not RnRTool) fixed it by back me up a version on NS and NSTB.  I got curious and ran and checked versions on my Windows 7 System...

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit...Firefox 54.0.1... Norton Security 22.10.0.83 NSTB 2017.11.0.1 and NSTB is enabled and all works fine...so Windows 10 needs one version of each but Windows 7 can use newer versions of each???

Kudos0

freebirdwil:

...(I have a suspicion Norton has figured out the 22.10.0.83 update messed things up and has blocked it til fixed, cause I got backed up and now I can't get any updates for 2 days and not on latest version NS or NSTB)

Hi freebirdwil:

My 32-bit Firefox ESR browser hasn't been affected by the problem being discussed in this thread, but just an FYI that I ran a manual LiveUpdate today and was updated from Norton Security v22.10.0.83 to v22.10.0.85.  The product announcement Norton 22.10 Product Update Available Now has been edited today to reflect that the v22.10.0 product update has been re-posted to the LiveUpdate servers (I didn't know it had been taken down ) but my Norton Security Toolbar v2017.11.0.1 hasn't changed and is still the same version delivered with my 06-Jul-2017 v22.10.0.83 product update.

Just a thought, but the Fast Startup feature of  Win 8.x or Win 10 is notorious for causing all sorts of odd behavior with Norton and it is generally recommended that Norton users with these operating systems disable the Fast Startup feature - see the instructions in the support article Message: "You Are At Risk. Your computer and network protections are at risk" and expand the section titled I have Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer. I wonder if Fast Startup could be preventing the proper application of updates for some users posting in this thread.  Note that it often takes one or two system restarts to ensure that Fast Startup is actually disabled once the setting is changed in Windows.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MB Premium v3.1.2

Kudos0

Imacri

I apologize in advance for my lack of documentation on this but it seems I remember reading something about Mozilla allowing overrides still in ESR to the new requirements, can't remember if it was multi-process stuff or signing stuff or both, I read so much it all runs together and since I don't use ESR I didn't really pay good attention or retention.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Too good to be true sometime tonight while I was in the other room, Firefox once again disabled NSTB but no versions have changed so I don't think it was an automatic update. Well it lasted about a day.

Kudos0

So about 15 minutes later I decided to run Live Update manually and lo and behold, it had another 49.95mb patch, applied and now I have NS Version 22.10.0.85 and NSTB Version 2017.11.0.1 AND IT'S ENABLED AND WORKING !!! Thinking maybe Norton has it fixed with new version (22.10.0.85)

Kudos0

Don't know if this threads still active, but another weird experience this morning. After booting up, live update failed (red x)and said click here for support, clicked, says can't fix, need to uninstall and reinstall (just did couple days ago) clicked to do so and it eventually got me to Norton RnRTool, which this time worked but took me back to NS 9.?.33.? sorry didn't write it down, with NSTB 2017.9.2.2 DISABLED, ran LU, nothing, waited awhile re-ran LU got 49mb patch now back to NS Version 22.10.0.85 and NSTB Version 2017.11.0 (ENABLED) again...getting scared to run Live Update it takes me back and forth and then makes uninstall/reinstall...adventures in updating...Crazy World of Norton Computing !!!

Kudos0

Just a note, I think this thread is dead.  For me personally I will continue my posts in this saga at this thread...

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/firefox-disabled-norton-security-...

Good Night and Good Luck

Kudos0

WalkingMan:

I have also followed the instructions above about turning off the tamper protection to allow the coFFAddon to be renamed/moved/deleted and then [...]

Many thanks, @WalkingMan, for the comprehensive compilation of the workaround procedure for this rather annoying incompatibility. It absolutely re-enabled my toolbar, thank God!

I had an older version of NIS, with Norton Security Toolbar 2017.9.2.2, running under Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit), when Firefox 54.0.1 (64-bit) first disabled the said toolbar, with no option to neither enable it nor remove it.

I'd initially struggled just as @freebirdwil has on another similar thread. Kudos to @lmacri who linked to @WalkingMan's post with the compiled workaround.

The previous attempts succeeded in upgrading my NIS to v22.10.0.85; however, failed to upgrade the disabled toolbar. Subsequently, I tried this solution, where I'd gone through the exact described scenario, only the toolbar has instead upgraded to v2017.11.0.1.

Users of older version of Norton Internet Security may rather find 'coFFAddon' sub-folder under 'NIS_xxxxxx' folder than 'NSBU_xxxxxx'.

WalkingMan:

Peterweb:
I disagree that these 2 issues are unrelated. It is quite clear from my own experiences that when either toolbar (2017.9.2.2 or 2017.9.0.2) is enabled then the FF multiprocess feature will be disabled, and vice versa. [...]

I'd also like to confirm Firefox Multiprocess Windows effect on the toolbar, just as @WalkingMan has explained. I've tested it as listed in the same procedure, where my Firefox and the toolbar behaviour matched the description — Norton Security Toolbar 2017.11.0.1 is preventing FF multiprocessing feature, and vice versa!

All in all, much appreciate the collaborative efforts put forth to come up with this workaround.
And here's hoping Symantec will fix this toolbar bug on Firefox sooner than soon™.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi @freebirdwil, having started this thread, I shall close this thread as 'solved' as NSTB stays enabled when updated to Version 2017.11.0.1 which happened on my notebook yesterday morning. So, while the NSTB remains incompatible with the Multiprocess feature of FF-54, I feel this issue of NSTB being disabled by FF is resolved.

However, I request fellow NSS users to post updates on this thread https://community.norton.com/en/forums/upgraded-nss-2210085-nstb-20171101-firefox-5401-still-shows-nstb-incompatible-multiprocess which shall continue to focus on Multiprocess feature staying disabled in FF thanks to unsigned / incompatible NSTB.

Thanks to all those who shared their experiences and work-around on this thread.

Kudos0

rameshiyer :

... having started this thread, I shall close this thread as 'solved' as NSTB stays enabled when updated to Version 2017.11.0.1 which happened on my notebook yesterday morning

Based on my own and others experiences with this issue, I think 24 hrs is too short a period to conclude that the issue is resolved with NSTB 2017.11.0.1 .... I wish you luck and will be happy if I'm proven wrong.

Kudos0

WalkingMan,

What I meant was this thread was started w.r.t. NSTB 2017.9.2.2 which was disabled by FF-54, and the priority was to get a working NSTB, pending resolution by Norton team. The work-around provided by some people in this thread, i.e. by reverting to an older version of NSTB, it offered a temporary fix of atleast having a working NSTB. But, now with NSS version 22.10.0.85 rolled out with NSTB 2017.11.0.1, which everyone seems to have got thru LU, I thought this thread could be closed and people could post their experiences on https://community.norton.com/en/forums/upgraded-nss-2210085-nstb-20171101-firefox-5401-still-shows-nstb-incompatible-multiprocess thread hereafter.

I am simply differentiating between a disabled NSTB and one which is enabled but is incompatible with the FF's Multiprocess feature, which are two separate issues, IMO.

Kudos0

rameshiyer:
I fully appreciate what you are saying, but I believe that some people with these same higher versions of NSS and NSTB have posted comments to say their toolbar was working again initially but was later disabled by FF in the same way as the earlier versions. For whatever reasons, whether it is FF or NSS, it seems there is a time delay and that what are apparently fixed systems become disabled again after a few days. It may well be that the 22.10.0.85 and 2017.11.0.1 combination suffers the same fate, so all that I was suggesting is that you wait a bit longer before concluding this to be a fix. I agree that the version of NSTB is not the same as when this thread was opened, but that is really just splitting hairs. Time will tell.

Kudos0

I just ran Live Update. There were 2 updates. After those were updated, it said there was a patch available. After that was applied, my Norton Toolbar is again working with Firefox 54.0.1, so the problem is fixed at least for me. Hope it doesn't return.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.