• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Port forward ranges?

Hello,

I can't seem to set port forwarding ranges (e.g 10000-11000) in the setup view. I can only put a specific port number. Every other router I've ever used did allow ranges. Is this known limitation?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Port forward ranges?

Probably a security measure. From the support document here....

Once you specify the port numbers, Norton Core router forwards the network traffic on the specific port to a specific device. Norton Core blocks the inactive ports on the device thereby providing protection against attacks through hacking techniques such as port scanning.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi @pd5rm,

Although we don't have that feature currently, you can set range by enabling UPnP. Let me know if that helps. Thanks.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Are you saying if I enable UPnP feature, I can manually add ranges for port forwarding? The port I'm forwarding is for a service that doesn't have UPnP associated with it.

Kudos0

If you enable UPnP the device should automatically negotiate what ports need to be open with the Core, i.e. there would not be a range selected on your part.  The issue is you have exposed ports and are now dependent on your device, as opposed to Norton for locking those down.

Kudos0

The ports I'm forwarding to do not have a UPnP "client" to send requests to open them. They're "dumb" ports so to speak. For example, a Mosh server (https://mosh.org/). However, I'm able to use something like miniupnc to open a port via UPnP request. AFAICT, there's no support for ranges there either (seems to be a UPnP protocol limitation).

In summary, there doesn't appear to be port range support via manual port forwarding or via UPnP interfaces.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.