• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Can't reinstall Norton 360 (won't uninstall)

I had a serious problem with booting up my Windows 10 laptop. It had suddenly become very slow and laggy. I ran a disk check and it confirmed that repairs were needed. Unfortunately after the repair the boot up was incredibly slow, leaving me with a totally blank screen for more than an hour before even bringing up the desktop image, and then the laptop remained very slow. 

I noticed a Norton 360 warning that SONAR had not been implemented. When I tried to fix this, it failed. So I chose the uninstall and reinstall option. It successfully downloaded the program, but when it came to uninstall the existing program it just cycled endlessly. Without any option to close the program, I was obliged to use the Task Manager to force a closure ( I waited more than half an hour for the program to uninstall). I noticed that the Norton 360 icon had disappeared from my task bar and that it was no longer listed as a program in Control Panel programs.

I restarted again, and this time was gratified to have a normal boot up lasting just a few seconds. I saw no sign that the reinstall I had tried had been successful, and when I tried it again received only a blank dialogue box. So I went to my account and downloaded Norton 360. But now again it won't get past the uninstall.

Advice?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can't reinstall Norton 360 (won't uninstall)

Again  I used Task Manager to force a close. This time I was left with a Norton message directing me to Technical Support which in turn led to a web page providing another download link. I tried this and now it is cycling on "starting". I will let this run in the background until the evening (eight hours) and if it hasn't completed I will immediately close my account.

Don't have the time for this. Too much hassle. It's costs me hundred of dollars of my time.

Kudos0

On a fourth attempt I finally managed to install the program. I have switched auto-renew on my account Off. Payment is due October and I shall consider then providing I have no further hitches. Frankly I think It's time I looked elsewhere. This was quite ridiculous and there is only robotic support.

Kudos0

Good news that you finally got the product reinstalled.

Were you using a Windows admin account while going through this process? I have noticed that using a Standard user account will not start the install process, as the uninstall was done with Admin privilege when the UAC dialog comes up.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.