• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

Computer is frozen after latest update

Hello! My windows 7 computer is frozen after latest today updates. I used NRnR, everything OK. But when I launched live update - computer was frozen again. I reinstalled norton security and turned live update off but I need a solution. What is the problem?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Computer is frozen after latest update

I understand you being upset, but you also should keep an open mind on the subject. What if you kept downloading malicious software? Have an illegal copy of Windows? Out dated hardware? Another anti-virus installed? Have too many applications running at the same time? Your HDD is full? You are 100% that you did absolutely nothing wrong and its exclusively Nortons fault? I would agree to this if there were multiple people constantly reporting of the issue, but if only a couple do, I would say it's a user error. I have made plenty of those myself, thinking its software's fault, without actually evaluating my prior actions to the situation.

While that might be the case, maybe the software malfunctions on certain Windows configurations and it is the Nortons fault? In which case you report the issue to them and we attempt to help you :)

Kudos1 Stats

John Ross, Care to elaborate why you think "....Because it is most likely our and not their error...." ?

My computer was frozen because I am a Norton subscriber. Perhaps that is my error.

Kudos0

I did elaborate :) Read up. And to add, in this case, it was an issue with certain system configurations which according to them, they have fixed it. If the issues remain, continue working with the developers to resolve the problem.

Kudos1 Stats

@ Imacri: Thank you for your reply.

@ Josh Ross:

Because it is most likely our and not their error.

Ah, that's interesting. The users themselves are responsible for the troubles.

You are 100% that you did absolutely nothing wrong and its exclusively Nortons fault?

Sorry, but if a problem exists with a software installed and the problem is gone when this software is uninstalled (with all other settings etc. on the computer unchanged) the most plausible explanation is that the issue is caused by this software.

You are 100% that you did absolutely nothing wrong and its exclusively Nortons fault? I would agree to this if there were multiple people constantly reporting of the issue, but if only a couple do, I would say it's a user error.

So you think that these "few" people made exactly the same error at the same time? Moreover you can be sure that there will be more users confronted with the same issue than we here. They simply did not find out that it has to do with their Norton software. I know for myself two such cases from other boards: People are upset because their computer suddenly freezes and they cannot explain why.

Finally I would like to remind you of what Sunil_GA himself wrote as a member of the Norton staff:

Sunil_GA:

Our team aware about this issue and working on it.

and

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the trouble caused.

According to you, Josh Ross, obviously it should be more the other way around: The users should apologize to Norton for their mistakes and for using their computers in a wrong way.

Kudos0

I don't want compensation but clearly Joss Ross you either work for Nortons or you are a complete idiot there was simultaneous failures world wide all after the same update I am a tech and it definitely was nothing I did but something Nortons did don't defend programmers errors the wasted is not good but put of sloppy programming that is all too common these days
Kudos0

I neither work for Norton nor I am affiliated in any way. Thank you for your concern about my intelligence, but I doubt you have a medical degree to judge it. I am pretty sure it was fixed at a fairly fast basis. And when it comes to my stand point, probably misinformed myself a little on this topic. Mistakes happen. And we all know that users are not the smartest people around if something goes wrong always BLAME THE DEVELOPERS. Which in this case I guess was fair and justified.

Kudos1 Stats

You have made yourself look a bit thick seeing as Norton have admitted on here that it was their fault. I was going to say you're too stupid to work for Norton but as they released an update that broke nearly every computer with Windows Vista and Windows 7 you probably could get a job with them. This is at least the 2nd time in about 5 years they have released an update which breaks loads of computers and they will have ended up costing their customers a lot of money in lost earnings or repair fee's. Additionally they havent posted a single message on their homepage to warn customers that their computer problems might have been caused by an update and how to resolve it but instead have relied on their paying customers to trawl through forums or search google for a solution.

Kudos1 Stats

@ Ross

Founded after work my computer frozen. My fault ??

Contacted tech support, they had no idea about the problem, unable to help.

3 days of personal troubleshooting, had uninstall Norton, my computer runs like before.

So enlighten me, where is my fault !

And why I am paying yearly subscription when Essential is free, where is extra support??

Kudos1 Stats

Why is Norton so absent on this thread? Where are their solutions, to the problem they have caused,  that work?

Kudos0

The "Accepted Solution" on this thread is that a new live update has been published. Reading other posts it seems a clean install would still result in the buggy update being applied first and freezing your PC - so we are unable to get to the point of applying the update that provides the alleged solution.

Therefore I am unwilling to accept this as a solution or spend more valuable time trying to fix a problem caused by Norton.

@Norton - please deliver a straight-forward path to resolution that has been thoroughly tested.  Then communicate it to your affected users.

"These things happen" - Really? If you develop software, you should be testing it on all the target operating systems at the very least before release.  Bugs as bad as this should not be reaching customers.

Additionally I echo the sentiment of the other posters on this thread - Norton should be sending clear communication.  We are registered users, they have our email addresses and the operating systems we run on their records. Part of the subscription cost we pay is undoubtedly for Support.    

For the poster who accused us of using dodgy copies of Windows and installing malware - please read and digest the thread properly before making accusations.  Everything is legitimate on my PC which I rely on for working remotely - because I don't want the risk of downtime due to the financial loss it results in. The only way I could get it to function again is by removing Norton Security.  It is an appalling scenario.

Thanks for reading and I hope Norton do the right thing.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to clarify on what caused the Window freeze issue. Some of the definitions released on Aug 2, 2017 caused a system freeze issue for a few customers who had received these definitions. This problem is addressed in Virus and Spyware definitions dated August 3rd, 2017 rev. 6 or later (Sequence: 20170803.006). Customers who are already impacted with a System freeze issue should remove this specific set of bad definitions, and install latest definitions to get this issue resolved. A few customer reported earlier in this thread that installing the fresh copy of a Norton product fixed the issue for them. Please refer to the Symantec public article on this issue: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH247190.html

Please try manually updating the virus definition files using Intelligent Updater in a safe mode (no networking) and let us know if you are still facing this issue. Please let me know if you need any assistance with updating the definitions. 

Also, I remind you to keep the posts friendly in the Norton Forums. There's no need to engage in personal attacks, since everyone is here to get some information and to discussion Norton products. We are free to disagree, but we must remain civil. Please be respectful of other forum users, and abide by the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service. Thanks!

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

No it didnt cause a freeze on "for a few customers", it caused it for a great proportion of any Windows Vista or Windows 7 computers running Norton Internet 360, Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus. It is insulting and blatantly untrue to say any different.

Your lack of ownership of the problem and disdain for the impact it has caused your paying customers staggers belief.

Kudos1 Stats

@ Sunil_GA

How many kudos do you expect for the solution??

Did you expect an average Joe to understand the "solution" ?

Safe mode no network - means you ruled out any online tech support !!!!!

Who told you that customers must fix your mistakes ??

I am politely demanding a valid product for my money !!

Kudos0

Sunil_GA, thank you for your latest information. I assume your recent advices concern (only) users who have still installed the Norton version that causes the freezing ("Customers who are already impacted with a System freeze issue should remove this specific set of bad definitions ...").

I would like to ask you if for the other users - those who have already uninstalled Norton - your former advice continues to be valid (https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7562011#comment-7562011):

When you reinstall Norton(Fresh Download from Norton Account) and update with latest definitions by running LiveUpdate should fix this issue.

In other words: Can this be regarded in the meantime a reliable way of re-establishing a functioning Norton? (According to some postings, the procedure did not solve the issue for all users.)

Kudos1 Stats

FIX BELOW

After removing NS, performing a clean install from the License Manager did NOT work.  Froze again.  HOWEVER

This worked for me I hope it does for you too:

1) If you still have Norton and freeze issues, reboot in to safe mode.

(Always reboot with the reset button - not the power button as that kills off all power and if a HDD is in mid-write it can corrupt it.If you have trouble hitting F8 at the right time to get in to safe mode, as soon as you login use start/run msconfig, click on the Boot tab and choose the "Safe boot" option.) 

2) Uninstall Norton from the control panel Add/Remove programs.

3) Once that's done, reboot in to normal mode.  Now at least you have a functioning PC.  Download and run the NRnR tool with the Remove Only option to get ensure a full uninstall is done.

4) Next download the Intelligent Updater.

5) Next start the download of Norton Security - it initially asks you to launch a file called NortonNSDownloader.exe.    That just downloads the installation package, when the download is complete, click run to launch it - but go no further in the process yet.

6) When the "Thank you for choosing Norton Security" screen comes up, do not press Agree & Install yet.  First disconnect from the network i.e. disable your network connection or unplug you cable/turn off your WiFi router. Then click Agree & Install.   Norton Security installer will run but obviously it will complain about outdated definitions and not being activated and no access to the network - that's fine it will still complete the installation.

7) Run Intelligent Updater which you downloaded earlier - should give you this message:

"A Symantec Product was found and successfully updated".............

8) Enable your network connection again

9) Do a final restart for good measure. No more freeze...Open Norton - Protection Updates will show "Current" and your subscription status returns to what it should be.

10)  For good measure I ran Live Update and it did download some 13 updates. However they do not appear to be buggy and the system is still not freezing.

Good luck.  

PS.  If anyone has time to add screen grabs/more info on some of the steps above it would be greatly appreciated.

Kudos0

Just a clarification in bold below:

(Always reboot with the reset button (IF YOUR SYSTEM IS FROZEN) - not the power button as that kills off all power and if a HDD is in mid-write it can corrupt it.If you have trouble hitting F8 at the right time to get in to safe mode, as soon as you login use start/run msconfig, click on the Boot tab and choose the "Safe boot" option.) 

Kudos0

Thanks, EdC99, for this detailed description.

Anyway, this procedure is quite complicated. And if Norton is not able to offer its paying customers another, more simple solution for the problem which Norton has caused itself, I will stay with the software I use at the moment: Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall. So I will have lost almost the whole money I payed for my latest Norton subscription (as it started only a few weeks ago). But o.k. It will have been the last time that Norton got money from me.

According to EdC99:

After removing NS, performing a clean install from the License Manager did NOT work.  Froze again.

So I would like to learn from the Norton staff: Will this situation remain? Or are you willing and able to offer your customers within the next time a simple and reliable solution for reinstalling a Norton system that will work without  problems? - Please give us a clear answer!

Kudos0

@ Sunil_GA

Can you show your face and answer customers' questions?

You are not a "good Samaritan" helping here, but the face of a company that fail their customers.

My question:

What is with all nonsense from the article of your last posting, if uninstall and install fix the problem?? Or not.

I am paying Norton to came with a solution, not to use me as a "lab rat" to find if fixes are working or not.

Kudos0

Valy:

@ Sunil_GA

Can you show your face and answer customers' questions?

You are not a "good Samaritan" helping here, but the face of a company that fail their customers.

My question:

What is with all nonsense from the article of your last posting, if uninstall and install fix the problem?? Or not.

I am paying Norton to came with a solution, not to use me as a "lab rat" to find if fixes are working or not.

Valy, see my response here.  https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7569101#comment-7569101

Windows 10 X64 Fall Creators Update 1709
Kudos0

Valy:

@ Sunil_GA

Hi Valy:

According to Sunil_GA's post <here>, Win 7 SP1 users who still have their Norton product installed but can't run a LiveUpdate to receive the latest virus (SDS) definitions can download and run the latest offline Intelligent Updater after booting up in Safe Mode to manually update their definitions. I don't know what Norton product and version you have or whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system, but here are general instructions that might help if  F 4 E's suggestion to contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at www.norton.com/chat doesn't help.

If your Norton product is currently installed:

1. Go to the Intelligent Updater download page at http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=n95.
  2. Click the appropriate 32-bit Platforms or 64-bit Platforms tab.  See <here> if you don't know if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
  3. Download the appropriate Intelligent Updater for your Norton product and save it to your desktop.  Most NAV/NIS/N360/NS users will likely have a v22.9 or v22.10 product and should download the offline updater with a filename similar to 201708xx-xxx-core3sdsg2v5i32.exe (for 32-bit) or 201708xx-xxx-core3sdsg2v5i64.exe (for 64-bit).  The filename will change slightly every time Symantec posts an updated set of virus (SDS) definitions.  See <here> if you don't know the name and/or version of your Norton product.
  4. Re-start your computer in Safe Mode.  Re-boot your computer, and as soon as you see the initial black screen showing your computer hardware (i.e., before the Windows logo appears) tap your F8 key every second or so until a menu with your Advanced Boot options appears.  Choose Safe Mode (not Safe Mode with Networking) from the menu.  The bleepingcomputer article How to Start Windows in Safe Mode includes a screenshot of the Advanced Boot menu.
  5. Once your computer has booted into Safe Mode, double-click the Intelligent Updater .exe file on your desktop (or wherever you saved it) to manually run the offline installer and update your virus (SDS) definitions.
  6. Restart your computer and let it boot normally.

If you have a 64-bit Win 7 SP1 computer with a NAV/NIS/N360/NS v22.9 or v22.10 product here are images for the correct tab and download link.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MB v3.1.2

Kudos2 Stats

This is entirely missing the point.  At least in my case, it was impossible to download the Intelligent Updater (or anything) while Norton was still installed. PC would freeze within a few seconds of logging on.  In safe mode it didn't freeze but there's no network access so you still can't download Intelligent Updater.

Maybe safe mode with network support could work -  I didn't try that, perhaps someone else can and post back?

The fix process I posted up actually worked.  

Kudos0

EdC99:

This is entirely missing the point.  At least in my case, it was impossible to download the Intelligent Updater (or anything) while Norton was still installed. PC would freeze within a few seconds of logging on.  In safe mode it didn't freeze but there's no network access so you still can't download Intelligent Updater.

Maybe safe mode with network support could work -  I didn't try that, perhaps someone else can and post back?

Hi EdC99:

That's a good suggestion, and apologies for not understanding that some computers will freeze immediately after boot-up if Norton is installed. It's too late for me to revise my instructions <here>, but if Win 7 SP1 computers are completely frozen after boot-up and they can't download the Intelligent Updater downloading then Safe Mode with Networking should work since the computer will boot up with only core Windows drivers loaded, plus networking support.

I'm not even sure why Sunil_GA suggested <here> that the virus definitions should to be installed in Safe Mode (i.e., without networking) but better safe than sorry, I guess.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MB v3.1.2

Kudos0

@ F 2E

I am here exactly after their "help".

Only help I received was to uninstall Norton and get my computer working.

lmacri

I thing I am not the only confused by the answer.

And I most upset with technical level of "solution". Is not for a computer user but for a computer literate. 

No answer is user friendly, not for a simple Joe who knows how to start a computer and open few applications he uses.

Kudos0

I agree with Valy's opinion:

And I most upset with technical level of "solution". Is not for a computer user but for a computer literate. 

No answer is user friendly, not for a simple Joe who knows how to start a computer and open few applications he uses.

There is no doubt that the support and the instructions given here by other users are appreciated. But it is more a quite complicated workaround whereas the average users would expect a clear and simple solution presented by Norton. 

Sunil_GA from Norton had already suggested it:

When you reinstall Norton(Fresh Download from Norton Account) and update with latest definitions by running LiveUpdate should fix this issue. Please try reinstall and let us know the issue status.

But according to the reports of some users this did not fix the issue. So Norton should continue to try to solve the problem and inform us about the present state of things instead of remaining silent and leaving the support to some helpful fellow users.

Kudos0

A re-install doesn't work because the first thing NS does after installation is look for live updates and automatically download them.For some reason Norton can't seem to remove the SDS that causes a freeze in Windows 7 from the live update servers.  If you allow it to download you are back to freeze problems.

So if you cut off the network during the later part of the install, you stop it from downloading the bad SDS.  Then you apply the Intelligent Updater which solves the issue by superseding the buggy SDS.

I hear your frustration that it's not right for users to be put in this situation.  I totally agree Norton should provide a simple seamless process and communicate it to affected users.  However they have taken far too long already - it doesn't look like its going to happen - so all we can do is help each other for now and consider which products we'd buy in future.

If you are still stuck it's best to call their support line for assistance to get it fixed and maybe make an official complaint while you're there.

Kudos0

Peter_2:

Sunil_GA from Norton had already suggested it:

When you reinstall Norton(Fresh Download from Norton Account) and update with latest definitions by running LiveUpdate should fix this issue. Please try reinstall and let us know the issue status.

But according to the reports of some users this did not fix the issue.

Hi Peter_2:

What happened when you uninstalled Norton from the Control Panel and reinstalled with the latest offline v22.10.0.85 installer for your Norton product downloaded from the links provided <here>?  Did you try wiping with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in Remove Only mode (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) after uninstalling as instructed at www.norton.com/nrt before reinstalling?

The post <here> you referenced by Symantec employee Sunil_GA was addressed to user Old Core.  Old Core did not post back in this thread but replied on 05-Aug-2017 in his own thread Video Card + Latest Norton 360 Update "Waited one day to try again new download now working fine bug fixed thanks everyone."

I've been posting in this forum since 2009 and based on my personal experience, the Symantec employees are not going to provide a customized solution tailored to your own machine (e.g., booting into Safe Mode and manually deleting the corrupted SDS definitions from C:\Program Files\<Norton product name>\NortonData\<22.x.x.x>\Definitions\SDSDefs folder) until you've provided feedback about what happened when you tried workarounds they've already suggested like reinstalling your product with the latest available installer or booting into Safe Mode and refreshing your definitions with the Intelligent Updater.
------------

Kudos0

Many thanks to EdC99 and to Imacri for your informative comments.

In a certain way they confirm the impression I got during the last days:

1. Norton is not capable to find a clear and easy solution for the problem it has caused.

2. Norton is not willing to communicate sufficiently about the situation with its users. Almost all the substantial comments and information in this thread came from other users. The last message from a member of Norton itself (Sunil_GA) dates three days back! Concerning the workarounds, the last "official" one (from Sunil_GA) referred to users who have Norton still installed (not for users like me who had already uninstalled Norton). For those there is still no official answer what they should do now respectively if the answer given to the user "Old Core" on August 4th

"When you reinstall Norton(Fresh Download from Norton Account) and update with latest definitions by running LiveUpdate should fix this issue. Please try reinstall and let us know the issue status.

refers only to Old Core himself (as Imacri says).

Moreover I agree fully with Valy's comment somewhere above in this thread:

This applies the more as Norton is not even willing to confess and to apologize for obviously being incapable of finding "a simple seamless process" (as EdC99 states) for fixing the issue.

So my solution will remain Microsoft Security Essentials plus Windows Firewall, unless Norton will be able to fix the issue in a clear and simple way. If they will not (and this seems to be the case) I paid in vain about 30 Dollars for my latest subscription - but it will surely never happen again.

Kudos0

Sorry Imacri, I forgot to answer your questions:

lmacri:
Peter_2:

What happened when you uninstalled Norton from the Control Panel and reinstalled with the latest offline v22.10.0.85 installer for your Norton product downloaded from the links provided <here>?  Did you try wiping with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in Remove Only mode (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) after uninstalling as instructed at www.norton.com/nrt before reinstalling?

I had uninstalled Norton from the Control Panel (already before discovering this thread) and later I downloaded (from my account) the installer (as suggested originally by Sunil_GA for the user Old Core). But I did not execute it until now. The situation is too confusing (different advices where we should download from; users who say that after reinstalling the freezing remains). As mentioned before, I am no "lab rat" for Norton by trying procedures that may cause additonal troubles to my system instead of solving the problem. The same applies to the use of the NRnR tool. I did not use it because so I would risk to loose all my settings (as you also also confirmed).

Kudos0

Hey guys

Fist, thank you for effort and TIME you are putting in this problem.

I came to this forum after I spend 3 days to determine Norton as a cause of my computer freezing, and after 4 chats with Tech support.

Their first attempt to fix frozen computer was to clean my temp files and force win updates And he considered that he fixed the problem, suggesting to start in normal mode. Then when my computer fail to reboot, they wash their hand claiming they are not a computer specialists. The only helpful chat was when I had Norton removed, and computer running like before.

When I am receiving o fix, I am looking not only how easy is to perform it, but also how easy is do a mistake (typo, etc...), and what are the consequences of the mistakes. Not last how easy will be to fix mistake(s). Actually I am not a computer specialist, I know enough to know where NOT to stick my fingers.

About Norton fix, I left computer running in the morning, I found after work frozen. I do not need a "tailored" solution, I need a working solution. 

On Bleeping computers I received in 2 days more help (posts), than Sunil_GA provided us in 8 days, from just a good people willing to help others. Actually, who mark this thread as fixed ?? Or are we crazy??

About choices, we have many. I am now on Essentials, as a temp solution, and are plenty of free and good AV, or payed ones as good as Norton.

Finally  after 8 days from the first failed chat, I received "customer satisfaction" review. I inform problem not solved, and left my phone to call back. I will let you know what they will suggest.

Kudos0

Has anyone tried running the intelligent updater? Get it here. Valy since you have two threads going concerning this this is my suggestion for getting the latest updates for your product.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080409124354EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 build 16299.16 / NSBU 22.11.0.41 Traditional
Kudos0

EdC99:

Just a clarification in bold below:

(Always reboot with the reset button (IF YOUR SYSTEM IS FROZEN) - not the power button as that kills off all power and if a HDD is in mid-write it can corrupt it.If you have trouble hitting F8 at the right time to get in to safe mode, as soon as you login use start/run msconfig, click on the Boot tab and choose the "Safe boot" option.) 

I'm not sure the reset button is going to make much difference, also few computers even have reset buttons. As to safe mode with msconfig -- DON'T do that. If you set your PC to boot in safemode and safemode doesn't work, then you cannot change it back. Always use F8

Re-enable F8 if microsoft has stupidly disabled it for your "convenience":
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
bcdedit /set {current} bootmenupolicy legacy

Kudos0

lmacri:
Peter_2:
The Download button in your Norton Account downloads a small stub installer that manages both the download and installation of all required files.

Is this a file called "NortonNSDownloader.exe" (version 5.10.0.41)? That's what I got two days ago when downloading from my account.

Hi Peter_2:

Yes, that looks like the filename for one of these small stub installers.

...you can perform a thorough wipe of your Norton installation by running the NRnR tool in Remove Only mode (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) as instructed at www.norton.com/nrt, even after you've uninstalled from the Control Panel.

But this means that my former settings will be lost. Correct?

I'm not 100% certain (the last time I used the NRnR tool in Remove Only mode it left behind a few entries in the Windows registry as well as some stray files in C:\ProgramData\Norton on my machine) but yes, you should assume that you will lose your custom settings if you run the tool in advanced Remove Only mode.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MB v3.1.2

I have not done the remove only with the new NRNR, but I believe there is still an option to save settings for a future install. Having said that, not all settings are saved. On example is any custom firewall rules will not be saved. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Comment Promoted To: 
Mine renewal date wss last week. I am having this exact problem. I uninstalled then restarted to reinstall as per instructions & now no Norton at all. What do I do? I cant get on web to reinstall? Thanks Suejet

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.