• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

sonar.am.c!g24 causing issue with Big Fish game installation

I'm a loyal customer of Big Fish Games, but have experienced (for the first time) a Norton Security issue with the installation of a game after purchase.  The issue raised is with SONAR.AM.C!G24, and Norton recommends I don't proceed with the installation.  Big Fish say this is a false positive and that all their games are virus-free, but I'm really reluctant to proceed in case I end up compromising my security.  Can anyone help?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: sonar.am.c!g24 causing issue with Big Fish game installation

Report a Suspected Erroneous Detection (False Positive)
>> https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

SONAR.AM.C!g24
https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2016-121419-2202-99

For second opinion choose File &/or Search hash at VirusTotal

For more information re event > from Norton pop-up > More Details > Copy to Clipboard and/or from Norton history > More Options > Copy to Clipboard > paste.

Kudos0

Which game is giving the false positive? Are you downloading via the BF game app or direct from BF website?

I play BF games & never had a problem, I was just curious.

Virginia/Twilight Princess.Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone 5s, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos1 Stats

Grim Tales: The White Lady - it installed and played the demo without issue, but when I bought it, it gets as far as the installation stage and then flags the SONAR issue. 

Kudos0

Hi @Karen Wood 24,

Thanks for reporting an issue in Norton Community Forums. Please submit the file to Report a Suspected Erroneous Detection (False Positive) and share the submission tracking number with us for further investigation. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

I am having the same issue with the same game. I get the error when the Big Fish installer attempts to install the game.I attempted to complete the False Positive report, but it requires you upload the file, and Norton prevents the installation, so I don't have a file to upload.

Big Fish forums are still stating this is a problem with Norton and their games are guaranteed virus free. Is there any more news on this?

Carolyn

Kudos0

do you have direct download URL?

Or, temp turn off Auto-Protect.  Can you download file?

Norton prevents the installation

meaning file is Quarantined or Blocked ?

for more information > from Norton pop-up > More Details > Copy to Clipboard and/or from Norton history > More Options > Copy to Clipboard > paste.

Kudos0

I don't know the direct download url, it's done via the big fish ap. I have attached a text file of the error.

Kudos0

http:// acdn.bigfishgames.com/downloads/74cacd36f0b4dccc56c7022f6c134654a84050b8. exe

FWIW

Kudos0

I'm having the same issue in completing the False Positive report.  I'm also still awaiting further help from Big Fish - they've tried to help with another issue that's happened at the same time (with loading my Purchase History), but their help for that hasn't worked either!

Kudos1 Stats

Your submission has been received and will be reviewed. We endeavor to respond to all submissions within 2 working days.
The tracking number for your submission is: 45263
The tracking number for your submission is: 45268

Kudos0

Karen Wood 24:  I'm having the same issue in completing the False Positive report.

for information re event > from Norton pop-up > More Details > Copy to Clipboard and/or from Norton history > More Options > Copy to Clipboard > paste.

Kudos1 Stats

adding related pic .... Thanks CarolynTN

Kudos0

adding related information Thanks Karen Wood 24

Your submission has been received and will be reviewed. We endeavor to respond to all submissions within 2 working days.  
The tracking number for your submission is: 45281

File Attachment: 
Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

In relation to submission 45263.
Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:
File name: 74cacd36f0b4dccc56c7022f6c134654a84050b8.exe
MD5: 06a13ef9078b32f016f1b623c44324c7
SHA256: f00d8f4241e1bf5ccb2179f53ef4ba4411d60b27e0548074ad1cde1af846c0cf
Note: Whitelisting may take up to 72 hours to take effect via Live Update

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.
Sincerely,
Symantec Security Response

In relation to submission 45268.
Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and, as such, the detection(s) for the following file(s) will be removed from our products:
If detection persists, please contact support:
Norton: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/info
Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.
If you are a software vendor and would like to upload your software for proactive whitelisting, please complete: https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist
For more information on best practices to reduce false positives: http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/white_papers/b-to_increase_downloads-instill_trust_first_WP.en-us.pdf
Sincerely,

In relation to submission 45281.

Sincerely,

Kudos0

I just want to thank everyone, especially bjm for help in getting this matter resolved.

I installed the game, and all seems to work well.

I really appreciate the fast response from Symantec Security too. And, I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again,

Carolyn 

Kudos0

Hi all,

I was really hoping to be able to say that I had the game running too but I'm still having issues with my Purchase History which I'm trying to resolve.  Thanks everyone, especially bjm, for your help.  I agree with Carolyn - I don't want to needlessly compromise my security.

Thanks again,

Karen

Kudos0

Having same problems and the new Grim Tales CE game will not load either. Instead of loading in the game manager it is trying to download directly.   bigfishgames_p274238260_s1_l1 (2).exe

Kudos0

Hi @Carol J,

Are you getting "sonar.am.c!g24" detection for bigfishgames_p274238260_s1_l1 (2).exe file with latest Norton definitions installed? Please update Norton with latest definitions by running LiveUpdates and let us know the status. Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.