• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Freeze fix

Win 7 frozen because on Norton.

Had to found myself, 3 day lost, the source of freeze.

Had Norton uninstalled to fix the problem.

Norton support, please inform when you GUARANTY the issue wast fixed  

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Freeze fix

Valy Live Update now corrects this issue as per this thread.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7560611#comment-7560611

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 build 16299.16 / NSBU 22.11.0.41 Traditional
Kudos0

Thank you

Did you read the next 2 pages of thread with ongoing problems? 

I needed a NORTON feedback, GUARANTEEING that issue was solved.

I am paying not to troubleshoot myself their mistakes.

Kudos0

Valy I have read the entire thread. Here is what is obvious that you are not seizing on. Not everyone follows the instructions given for the fix. Per se, shutting off fast boot on Windows 10 BEFORE running the R&R tool. When running that tool paying attention to telling it whether you intend to reinstall and save your settings. Or just getting rid of it plus settings. I point you to this response:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7563671#comment-7563671

Does anyone actually apply what fixed this for another user or just continue to vent?

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7563981#comment-7563981

Is this person using a registry cleaner when they should not? You tell me.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7565651#comment-7565651

Then you state " I am paying not to troubleshoot myself their mistake".  I have personally assisted Norton employees with logs and other files to help them better understand a person's individual issue since not every user has the same issue nor will get the same fix for it. Please take into account this. We here on the forums have zero clue about what other software you have running, whether it is legit or not, whether it is misconfigured and causing issues with your entire system. LOGS tell us that in ways a user cannot. Therefore Valy, I invite you to contribute more than an attitude and be a part of the road to a solution here rather than being a part of the problem. I pay for Norton's services as well yet donate my time here to assist others. Please understand ALL of us donate our time here. Have a great day Valy!!!

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 build 16299.16 / NSBU 22.11.0.41 Traditional
Kudos0

Thank you for your "donated" time but  ....  I have win 7 not win 10, first.. 

When my computer freezes while I am at work, after months of running good, what are software, configurations or running who knows what have anything to do with the problem. Next tell me about Sun, Moon or Saturn interference.

Try to read last Norton rep suggested "fix" because it exceeds my computer knowledge and comfort.

Assisting with logs is one, start running and testing fixes on my own computer and time is completely different.

Please read again, this post is intended to Norton. I paid for the product and I expect to receive a working product. And if they broke it, they better fix it. That is my approach, you do not like bad luck. 

If you wand to find a fix for their bad update, you are welcome, as the problem is not completely fixed. 

Kudos0

Hi, Valy. Why don't you contact Norton Support to see if they can help ?

http://norton.com/chat

Windows 10 X64 Fall Creators Update 1709
Kudos0

I came on the forums, after their "help"

Kudos1 Stats

I can ask one of the Norton Admins to contact you if you wish.

@Valy

Kudos0

Hi Valy:

Just a few suggestions to keep in mind going forward.

I just read your thread window 7 freeze after booting in the bleepingcomputer forum.  If someone from Norton contacts you directly be sure to mention that the Norton Power Eraser (NPE) removed a "suspicious" registry entry - especially if your system freezes or your boot-up problems persist after Norton is reinstalled.  The description of the NPE at https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?lcid=1033 states "Norton Power Eraser uses our most aggressive scanning technology to eliminate threats that traditional virus scanning doesn’t always detect, so you can get your PC back. Because Norton Power Eraser is an aggressive virus removal tool, it may mark a legitimate program for removal. However, you can always undo the results of a scan."  The NPE is prone to false positive detections and has been known to damage important system files when removing "suspicious" files or registry entries - see Larry_A's thread Ran NPE and now computer won't boot to Windows for one example.  The MiniToolBox diagnostic log you posted in bleepingcomputer lists several errors, and the buggy Norton virus (SDS) definition set delivered to your Win 7 SP1 computer around 02-Aug-2017 might not be the only cause of those errors.  If necessary, someone from Norton can check your NPE scan log to see what was removed and determine if this was a false positive detection.

Your recent post in John MV's thread Computer is frozen after latest update also notes that you followed bwv848's advice in bleepingcomputer and installed Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to protect your system after Norton was uninstalled.  If you ever decide to reinstall Norton (or even switch to another third-party antivirus like Kaspersky, McAfee, etc.) make sure that MSE is uninstalled and then wiped off your system with the Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool before reinstalling Norton.  Any orphaned registry entries and/or disk files left behind by the MSE uninstaller could interfere with Norton and create a whole new set of unexpected problems for you.

Any time you change antivirus programs a wipe with the manufacturer's removal tool is usually recommended .  If you decide to keep MSE and continue to experience problems it might be necessary to wipe any remnants of Norton off your system by using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool in advanced Remove Only mode as instructed at www.norton.com/nrt.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS v22.10.0.85 * MB Premium v3.1.2

Kudos0

Thank you for your time to read my bleeping computers post and thank you for advice.

Short all my steps.

Computer frozen. Run Malwarebytes no problem, run Eraser registry fault. fix. Still frozen.

Attempt a clean boot, disable all applications and processes, Norton will still be running and computer frozen.

Finally uninstall Norton, and I am enjoying my computer. Fix registry do not seem to create any problem.

My major frustration is slow response from Norton. I got 3 unsuccessfully chats that were followed just a week later by a "customer satisfaction" survey. On a first level of chat you can get only temp files removal, system updates, Norton install and uninstall.

And on top, I feel that they are solving few customers in the same time, base on delays in responses, and lack of understanding of my messages. Next level is more knowledgeable, but you have to be lucky to get there.

Kudos0

@ F 4 E

So you finally found the button to wake up Sunil_GA ??  Joking.

Thank you, I am waiting feedback from my survey. 

I definitely do not want to learn to install, uninstall and troubleshoot Norton.

My hobby list is full.  I choose to pay to have that service provided.

Lets see how much they want my business. 

Kudos3 Stats

Valy:

@ F 4 E
So you finally found the button to wake up Sunil_GA ??  Joking.  Thank you, I am waiting feedback from my survey.

Hi Valy:

Since you're new to this community you might want to read Nikhil's_CV's thread Norton Community Ranks and Levels about the special privileges that Gurus like F 4 E have in this forum.

The last time that F 4 E put me in touch with one of his contacts at Norton I was escalated to 2nd tier technical support and had an ongoing issue quickly resolved - see my thread Unused Installation Seats Illegally Activated (Again).  In my experience 2nd tier technical support is far superior to the front-line support you'll get from Norton Customer Service reps at www.norton.com/chat.  Service reps can resolve subscription and billing problems and do a bit of basic troubleshooting (e.g., reinstalling your Norton product via remote access) but you'll need 2nd tier technical support to analyze diagnostic logs and do other advanced troubleshooting.

If you're going to turn down F 4 E's offer to escalate your issue and would rather wait for feedback from an automated online survey then I don't think there's anything useful I could add to this discussion.  I hope you eventually find a resolution that satisfies you.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS v22.10.0.85 * MB Premium v3.1.2

Kudos0

Thank you @lmacri

@Valy

My offer still holds if you want a resolution.

Kudos0

Thank you lmacri and F 4 E.

I know about 2 tier tech support (got once help), definitely not about F 4 E privileges.

@F 4 E 

I appreciate your offer, and I will have time starting Saturday to find a solution (I am on-call this week).

The only thing I need now to reinstall Norton and be sure will no freeze my computer. 

I am one of the low maintenance user, as long stuff works I try not to touch it.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Valy. Ok, I'll leave a message for one of the Norton Admins to contact you.

He'll possibly leave a Private Message for you in your Inbox, top right of your forum pages.

Kudos0

Thank you for your intend.

No message on forum, no message from bad feedback.

I give-up. 

Kudos0

Valy:

Thank you for your intend.

No message on forum, no message from bad feedback.

I give-up. 

Tony, can you help ?  @Tony_Weiss

Kudos0

@Valy

I've asked again, for an Admin to chip in.

Kudos0

Hi @Valy,

I have sent you a private message requesting more details to escalate this issue to concern team. Please check it when you get a chance. Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.