• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Ports showing as closed rather than stealthed

Tested Norton core with GRC ShieldsUP. A lot of ports responded as closed rather than stealth. Norton core also had a ping response. Just wondering the reason for this or if it will be possible in a future firmware release for this to be even more secure by not showing that ports are closed and responding to ping. Corporate firewall at work is fully stealthed and I've even used Linksys/netgear routers that show as stealthed. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ports showing as closed rather than stealthed

Steve765 - Thanks for sharing this!  I'm still waiting on my pre-order to ship--knowing the Core responds to ping requests and a scan shows closed rather than stealth ports is disappointing.  From what I understand, this is less secure from a external scanning perspective than my current router.

Hope there is a way to change this behavior!

Kudos1 Stats

I just ran the same GRC Shields UP tests just now and received similar the results .  Thats disappointing.  Hopefully a later firmware update will have an option to set the unused ports in Norton Core to "Stealth" or "do not respond".  Norton, is this a feature that can be added?     

Kudos1 Stats

I just received the Core (08/26/2017).  I ran the GRC Shields Up test and same results as mentioned above.  1K ports closed, but not in stealth mode.  I contacted support and they opened a case ticket and are escalating this (case ID <removed>).  I've been running Cujo firewall and it completely passed the GRC Shields Up test.  The Core seems to be a potentially good product, but I'm concerned that you can't run the device in stealth mode.  I'm kind of surprised Norton would ship a product that does give you the option of running it in stealth mode.

[Edit: Removed the Case ID to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Hi, just ran GRC Shields Up and it TruStealth: FAILED  I tested with Network inspection default and advance  

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2017-08-28 at 17:44:53

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
 1056 Ports Closed
    0 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.
Kudos1 Stats

FYI... Here's my test results.  Norton we need the option to run in stealth mode!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2017-08-28 at 18:24:24

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
 1048 Ports Closed
    8 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 0, 25, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.
Kudos0

Hi  pslucas212I agree 100%  and it should not  get Ping Reply  (ICMP Echo)  

Kudos1 Stats

Im noticing a trend of issues surfacing here in this thread along with various other threads in the CORE forum area.  It seems as if Norton didn't fully finish bata testing this device before opening it up to the public, which leads me to think we are unknowingliy being used as "quasi" beta testers in their final stages?  Every commercial router I have used in the past has a stealth function and more recently also supports IPv6, which Core does not.  Even my basic MAC app firewall has stealth on which is native to the Mac OS operating system and had been for awhile.  Its strange Core wouldn't have slealth as an option.  Playing devils advocate, Norton might be allowing or want the pings and scans to go through and "hit" our devices so they can gather active intrusion data from all those attempts, maybe?  Anyways, I still love the speeds this router is producing for me.  The coverage area and signal strength increased by 50 percent and my internet speeds are about 25 percent faster using the Core versus my former ASUS router, so that I am happy about.    

Kudos1 Stats

I agree that performance is great, but the Core is lacking in some fundamental capabilities found in routers that are 5+ years older.  If Norton doesn't want Core to get a bad reputation it will need to update the firmware to support secure and support additional features very soon.

Kudos0

I've been a Norton customer since early DOS days. To the best of my recollection, this is the first hardware they've had. I think we early adopters ARE beta testers. It's almost as if they're learning the hardware business from scratch as opposed to being proactive and ready for this - even though the Core was announced and available for pre-order eight months prior to first shipments. 

They seem to have not had returns well prepared, the stealthed ports issue is just wrong, IPV6 is needed, an Ethernet browser interface is needed, no static IP addresses is wrong, USB ports only for a printer makes no sense, customer support is questionable at best, etc. 

Many of these functions are and have been available on other routers for years.

The reviews on Amazon are trending well, but the lack of browser interface, static IPs, poor customer support, USB ports for printers only, etc. are causing real negative comments that are out there for everyone to read (unlike this Forum which most folks may not be aware of).

The good news is that when it works, it works very well within the limitations mentioned above.

We can only hope Norton is paying attention and fixes these issues (and others that will crop up) in a timely manner or the Core may not last long.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay (Xerox PARC)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.