• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security Suite: "Service Canceled: Your service has been canceled."

Last nite my computer (win 7) had an alert message above the system tray saying that I had cancelled my Xfinity internet account and therefore my Norton Security Suite was cancelled or inactive or whatever.   I thought that very strange as I haven't cancelled Xfinity.   I figured I should just download it again and copy/paste the activation code from the Xfinity page for downloading NSS.   Activation failed.   i texted with support which said they knew there is an ongoing issue and to wait 24-48 hours.   However, I've not seen one recent post about this problem.   Anyone else unable to activate NSS?

[Admin Edit: Clarified subject]

Labels: Activation

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security Suite: "Service Canceled: Your service has been canceled."

Engineering is working on reactivating these subscriptions.
KB article has been created about the issue:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/current/solutions/kb20100602120242

Kudos0

notice that I ALREADY performed those steps last night.   removed, and reinstalled, tried to activate, failed to activate.

Kudos0

...that's all I have...
Lets hear from Community

Kudos0

From the link you sent me:

" If you continue to see the "Service Canceled" message after uninstalling and reinstalling, please be patient. We are aware of an issue where some customers are receiving this message incorrectly. We are currently investigating and will update this solution when one is available. "

Perhaps that is a current alert, same as what I received from chat last night...

Kudos0

Kudos0

just fired up another one of my win 7 PC's.   Same error about activation.

Kudos0

Comcast says they are aware of problem and that it is a Norton problem and to contact them. Well?????

Kudos0

Support message just received from Norton:

We have checked that the activation PIN# ----------------- status is showing as disabled. This is a temporary issue and Norton is aware of the issue. We are working with Comcast to resolve the issue at the earliest. We request you to wait for 24 - 48 hours for us to work on the issue. We are sorry for the trouble that this is causing and for taking up your valuable time. I appreciate your patience throughout and would like to thank you for your precious time.

Kudos0

I've contacted Comcast/Xfinity and they stated it must be on Norton's end because it shows as active on their end.  Called Norton and the rep told me that Norton is performing maintenance on the system and it should be back up & running within 24-48 hours.  If this is true, why weren't customers notified?  I'm just left unprotected with no warning.  In glancing through the forum, I didn't notice anyone else having the same problem.  Anyone else going through this?

Kudos0

Kudos0

Thanks, at least I know I'm not alone  Although I think Norton should've figured out how to notify its customers and not leave us dangling without any info.  

Kudos0

Although I think Norton should've figured out how to notify its customers and not leave us dangling without any info.  

If you are using the Comcast version, Norton does not have any direct control of your account. The accounts are controlled by Comcast.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Well, that does make sense.  Thanks for the help & info.  

Kudos1 Stats

The finger pointing between Norton and Comcast on this issue is ridiculous.  How about both companies work together to fix this instead of blaming each other?

Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Norton Security Suite displays "Service Canceled: Your service has been canceled..." issue has been fixed. If Norton Security Suite displays "At Risk -  "Fix now", please run LiveUpdates and let us know the fix status. Thanks

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Still not fixed.  Cancelled screen still appears (attached).  Opening Norton Security Suite and running Live Update comes back with "no updates found"...

Kudos0

Here's my "live update"...fixed?  I think not...

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

What is really lame is that the problem with inactivating Norton and not being able to reactivate it is the problem has been going on for FOUR days now.  I spent 95 minutes on hold with Norton on Saturday Sep 9th, and 45 minutes on hold with Comcast and then Norton yesterday.  You would think that an Information Technology company would be able to solve an activation issue with it's product after four days, but I guess that is asking too much.  All my systems in my home that are using Norton 360 are exposed right now, and have been for four days.  WHAT IS GOING ON NORTON???

And to confirm that this is a Norton issue and not a Comcast issue, I have been speaking with Norton reps twice and they are aware of the issue and I have a Norton case number open with them.  It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that a product I am counting on working, and their IT department cannot even get a server up and running to validate their own product.  Don't they run backups of their servers?  Do they have only one server in their infrastructure?  What a joke.

Kudos0

they just fixed it.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

fixed

Kudos0

Still not working.  Just got done with Norton support..  Rep said problem affects most Comcast customers and problem will be resolved in 24 hours.  My Norton has been disabled for 4 days. Norton should give a warning and grace period before disabling.  This has been going on for years.  The suggested workaround is to install trialware.  Did a virus delete the Comcast user database at Symantec?

Kudos0

So dave1812, your Norton security back on line?  Mine not...

Kudos0

Be careful with the trial ware...you will automatically be charged after the trial period ends.  And with my memory, I'd probably forget to cancel beforehand.  ;) 

Kudos0

Yes, both my PC and my wife's MacBook Pro have Norton functioning again.   I didn't have to do anything.  Just had to wait for Norton to make their fix.  I had been tweeting messages back and forth with them thru Direct Messaging on Twitter.    Good luck with your issue.

Kudos0

we aren't talking about trial ware here!   we are talking about NSS that comes with Comcast Internet services (ie, it is FREE).

Kudos0

It is still NOT working .. I am a Comcast customer and using the PIN supplied on the Comcast website to try to activate.

I suggest if you are going to post on this thread, that you indicate if you are a Comcast customer, and if so, if the PIN doesn't start with BQ7 .... ending in 74 .... I didn't post it in its entirety.

Kudos0

Don't try to activate with the PIN.  It should simply begin functioning normally without your intervention.   I think you should head over to twitter and start messaging them directly.  Use the direct message feature on Twitter for a real time chat with them,.

Kudos0

Dave, looks like you're one of the lucky ones.  Nothing happening here...still showing up as cancelled.  Communicated with someone there via e-mail (don't have a Twitter account).  Still waiting like these other folks...

Kudos0

dave1812 .. newflash ... I unistalled Norton Security Suite and ionstalled it fresh from the Comcast website.  It goes over to the Symantec website when you try to activate and wants you to enter in a PIN.  The PIN that is supplied from Comcast fgives the following error when trying to activate:

The PIN you entered is not valid for Norton 360 at this time. Check your entry to make sure it is correct.
If desired, click here to purchase this service.

THAT IS a fresh install.  Even another PC which I have done nothing to, when you launch the software it is it has a cancelled subscription.

No idea why you decided to make this as fixed when it clearly isn't.

Kudos0

We thought it was fixed, but we are now hearing from customers that indeed, it is still happening.  Further investigation is required as Symantec works with Comcast to finally resolve this issue affecting many Comcast customers.  

If you would like to send me a PM with your pin number, it may help us find a resolution sooner.  Click on my name and then "Send this user a private message". 

Kudos0

Dave, sent you a private msg with the PIN that is supplied from the Comcast install.

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks to everyone here who sent their pin numbers, we believe we've found the problem and will run a batch process overnight to resolve the issue.  I expect by morning everything will be working as expected again.

We appreciate your patience.  
​Dave

Kudos0

How are you supposed to run LiveUpdates when you cannot even get into that part of the software?? Do you really know your own product. When this happened to me, I could not get into any aspect of Norton!!!

Kudos0

You are correct: you can't access Live Update or run any features within the app.  If you go to the Norton icon in the system tray on a windows machine, and click on LiveUpdate, it will fail after a few moments with an error message.

Kudos0

OK this is the type of "advice" both Norton and Comcast are spreading. It is NOT helpful. You guys are supposed to know your product but when you tell people to do something that is impossible, it really reduces your credibility with the community. Frankly, I must agree with another poster here, does Norton really have credible tech savvy IT personnel on their staff. So far everything I have seen from both Norton and Comcast has been misleading and much of it "happy talk".

Kudos0

It is September 13 and still not working. I am tired of all of this wait 24 hours, then 48 hours and then 24 hours. Fix the thing already.

Kudos1 Stats

Mine finally back up this morning.  It has been a frustrating few days for many who posted here to say the least.  My main complaint was the lack of communication from both Norton and Comcast on this issue.

Kudos0

FWIW - true, LiveUpdate will not function until after the NSS has been reactivated - which the user should not need to do anything on their end for it to happen.  As I understand it, a change in the data base @ Norton will cause the NSS to activate.

Once NSS is activated, the user needs to run manual LiveUpdate until it responds "no updates found" in order to receive any definition updates that were issued during the period of inactivity.  If that period spanned enough days - you may see a FIX IT button to use. 

Kudos1 Stats

Looks like for me NSS is working this morning., I am running a full scan now.

Other systems that had a cancellation message are also operational.

Kudos1 Stats

All devices (4)  are working.  Patch available after running liveupdate.  Maybe there's a fix in the patch so it won't happen again.

Kudos1 Stats

I uninstalled my trial version (the temporary fix) and reinstalled through Xfinity and everything is working now. Running a full scan now.

Thanks,

Dave_Coleman.

Kudos0

Glad several of you reported the issue has been resolved!

Kudos0

FYI, never had this issue and didn't see anything unusual in the last few days.