• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Identity Safe for Chrome got updated to 3.0.0.298, however, Norton Toolbar is still old

Hi Everyone! I have recently been notified that:

Norton Identity Safe 3.0.0 is now available! 

The FAQ's below addresses some common questions:

1. What is the version number for this toolbar patch?

IDSafe 3.0.0.298 for Chrome (Windows & Mac)
IDSafe 3.0.0.311 for Safari (Mac)
IDSafe 3.0.0.298 for Firefox (Windows & Mac)

The older versions of my IDSS(1.0.5) and NTB(2014.7.12.31) extension installed are as as follows:((screen shot below)
However, when I tried clicking on the 'IDSafe 3.0.0.298 for Chrome (Windows) to get the new IDSS installed, I noticed that the new  'IDSafe 3.0.0.298' highlighted got shown in addition to the old IDSS.

Also, the old NTB(Norton Toolbar) is still as it was 2014.7.12.31. However, only the IDSS is the one which was updated to 3.0.0.298.(screen shot below)

Besides, it is said that the changes in this release  3.0.0  are as follows

Support for Mac Browsers (Safari, Chrome and Firefox)
Vault Management

Change vault password

Create and delete vault

New vault User Interface

Logins

Wallets

However, I didn't see any changes in the interface IDSS at all. Even when updating the IDSS via liveupdates, the old version was still shown.(Screen shots below). There is change on the product version of IDSS at all. Only Web protection definition of IDSS was updated to 2017.09.09.
I was expecting that the product version of IDSS would be updated as well as long as there is new  Norton Identity Safe 3.0.0 released

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Identity Safe for Chrome got updated to 3.0.0.298, however, Norton Toolbar is still old

Re: Has IDsafe toolbar changed?

Posted: 08-Sep-2017 | 2:43PMPermalink new

Hi folks - the Chrome 3.0 extension is a new release that behaves independently of the "classic pair" of Norton Security Toolbar 2017.x and Norton Identity Safe 1.x.

Like peterweb recommends, the 3.0 extension is not meant to be used at the same time as the original extensions.  I would say for now if you are a longtime user of the original extensions, disable the 3.0 extension.

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7614761#comment-7614761 

Kudos0

Re: Norton Identity Safe for Chrome got updated to 3.0.0.298, however, Norton Toolbar is still old

bjm_:

Re: Has IDsafe toolbar changed?

Posted: 08-Sep-2017 | 2:43PMPermalink new

Hi folks - the Chrome 3.0 extension is a new release that behaves independently of the "classic pair" of Norton Security Toolbar 2017.x and Norton Identity Safe 1.x.

Like peterweb recommends, the 3.0 extension is not meant to be used at the same time as the original extensions.  I would say for now if you are a longtime user of the original extensions, disable the 3.0 extension.

Matt Powers
Symantec Corp.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7614761#comment-7614761 

Thanks a lot,

But why I am still seeing 'install extension'  for Chrome in the General' tab of IDSS even though the IDSS 3.0 extension is already installed. (screen shot below)

This screen shot below indicates that Norton Identity Safe 3.0 extension is already installed. 

Kudos0

Lets hear from Community

Kudos0

I have the Toolbar version 2017.x.x.x. in my Chrome extensions. On the Extensions page, click to enable Developer mode. Then click on Update Extensions now. See if that gets you the new Toolbar version.

I see you are using the ID Safe Stand alone version. Do you also have Norton Security on your system? If so, this could explain your issue with the extensions not showing as enabled. If you do have both, you should uninstall the IDSS and just run with the included ID Safe in your Norton product.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Thanks a lot, I only have the Norton Identity Safe Standalone installed. However, after installing the IDSafe 3.0 extension, when opening the Chrome extensions, I see that Norton Identity Safe 3.0 extension being already installed as well as Identity Safe 1.5 extension along with NTB. However, I am still asked to install Chrome extension whenever opening "general" tab inside IDSS desktop app. There is no issue with MS IE

Kudos0

This could be by design as the two are not meant to co exist. From the post you linked above from employee MJP

the Chrome 3.0 extension is a new release that behaves independently of the "classic pair" of Norton Security Toolbar 2017.x and Norton Identity Safe 1.x.

Kudos0

Thanks a lot, Even if the Chrome 3.0 extension is a new release that behaves independently of the "classic pair" of Norton Security Toolbar 2017.x and Norton Identity Safe 1.x., why do I still see "install extension, extension disabled" whenever clicking on "general" tab. Inside IDSS. Have you seen my previous screen shot of IDSS desktop app settings?

Kudos0

As MJP noted, you are not supposed to use both at the same time. The new extension appears to be completely different code, ie it does not work with the Toolbar any more. It is because it is independent  from the Toolbar and older version that it shows as extension disabled. You are looking at the old version and trying to find about the new. They do not know about each other. ie they are independent. If you enable the older 1.0.5, does it still show disabled on the general tab.

I would honestly stop worrying about this. Norton is in the process of transitioning to the newer extensions. The IDSS has been discontinued and no longer supported.  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/standalone-version-norton-identit...

Any indications in the old version should probably be taken with a grain of salt now. As long as your vault works, just enjoy it.

Kudos0

peterweb:

As MJP noted, you are not supposed to use both at the same time. The new extension appears to be completely different code, ie it does not work with the Toolbar any more. It is because it is independent  from the Toolbar and older version that it shows as extension disabled. You are looking at the old version and trying to find about the new. They do not know about each other. ie they are independent. If you enable the older 1.0.5, does it still show disabled on the general tab.

I would honestly stop worrying about this. Norton is in the process of transitioning to the newer extensions. The IDSS has been discontinued and no longer supported.  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/standalone-version-norton-identit...

Any indications in the old version should probably be taken with a grain of salt now. As long as your vault works, just enjoy it.

Thanks a lot,

Yes, I have tried removing the IDSS 3.0 extension from Chrome extensions, and left the old IDSS 1.5 extension along with the NTB. Also, I have enabled the 1.5 extension. But, it still shows disabled on the general tab in the IDSS settings.

If the Norton is in the process of transitioning to the new extensions, then

1- why this IDSS 1.5 extension is still working well on the MS Internet Explore 11(Look at the screen shot of IDSS extension on MS IE 11). The IDSS extension doesn't show disabled on the general tab the IDSS settings.

2- what would be the substitution of IDSS? 

Kudos0

Hello

You would have to buy a Norton Security product that includes the I D Safe.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.11.2.7 Core 202 I E 11
Kudos0

Yes, I have tried removing the IDSS 3.0 extension from Chrome extensions

Small clarification. The version 3 is not IDSS, the Identity Safe Standalone. It is a totally separate entity. The old 1.0.5 is from the IDSS.

1. The IDSS will still function on your system as long as you do not uninstall it. Unless Norton does something in the future to disable it. And the 1.05 should still work in Chrome, regardless of what the General tab says. To try to fix that, try setting Chrome as your default browser.

2. The only way to keep access to your vault would be to install a Norton Security product. The ID Safe is included within that product line. You can also still access the information in your vault by logging into the vault at  https://identitysafe.norton.com    You can cut and paste any logins.

Kudos0

Thanks a lot, What do you mean with "The only way to keep access to your vault would be to install a Norton Security product. The ID Safe is included within that product line. You can also still access the information in your vault by logging into the vault at https://identitysafe.norton.com You can cut and paste any logins." Do you mean that when logging in to my local vault of IDSS desktop app installed, then neither would my local vault be synchronized with my online vault, nor would my local vault fill in automatically logins? If so, then that means keeping IDSS installed doesn't make sense. If not, then why will I need to cut and paste any logins?
Kudos0

AFAIK,    IDSS does not use a local vault. It is cloud vault only. So it would be synchronized with any other devices that use your online vault.

Your current IDSS will still function as it did in the past. If it was auto filling, it will continue to do that.

My comment for cut and paste was referring to if you decided to remove IDSS from your system and not install a Norton product to have the ID Safe feature again, your vault contents would still be there and accessible from the website. Then you could cut and paste the login information if you needed it.

Someone else can comment on my next statement.....I would appear that the new 3.0 version of the extension would still be functioning even after removing IDSS. Just with the lesser feature set mentioned in earlier posts. So you would still have the vault available for logins. 

Be aware that if you remove IDSS from your system, you will not be able to get it back because it is no longer available for download.

Kudos0

Thanks a lot, Spot on "IDSS does not use a local vault. It is cloud vault only. So it would be synchronized with any other devices that use your online vault." As far as I know that local vault of IDSS is based on the IDSS desktop app installed on a specific device. So, local vault is what I see when log in to my IDSS desktop app account. I.e. when logging in to my IDSS desktop app account using email and PW associated, and then enter the vault password. That what opens to me I call local vault of IDSS. However, online vault of my IDDS account is the one requiring me to visit the website https://www.identity.Norton.com, which let me access to online vault from any device. I have an already-download IDSS.

Kudos0

What you are referring to as a local vault is not. If you have to enter your Norton Account email and password before you can enter your ID Safe vault password, that is an online vault.

There are multiple ways to access that same vault. Your IDSS is one, the new Chrome ID Safe extension and new FireFox and Edge extensions are other ways of accessing that same vault. And this holds true if you have multiple computers or mobile devices with access to the vault. Any changes you make, adding or deleting logins will be available from all other access methods.

The vault you access at the   www.identitysafe.norton.com    is the same vault that you access from the other methods.

Kudos0

peterweb:

What you are referring to as a local vault is not. If you have to enter your Norton Account email and password before you can enter your ID Safe vault password, that is an online vault.

There are multiple ways to access that same vault. Your IDSS is one, the new Chrome ID Safe extension and new FireFox and Edge extensions are other ways of accessing that same vault. And this holds true if you have multiple computers or mobile devices with access to the vault. Any changes you make, adding or deleting logins will be available from all other access methods.

The vault you access at the   www.identitysafe.norton.com    is the same vault that you access from the other methods.

Thanks a lot,

First of all, as long as you have mentioned that IDSS doesn't use a local vault, then there are other Apps use local vault. What are those Apps?

Secondly: I don't see any ID Safe extension for MS Edge, however, there are only new Chrome, and FireFox ID Safe extensions.

Thirdly: Yes, you think I can install the Chrome ID Safe extension and the FireFox and Edge extensions without needing to install IDSS desktop app? 

Finally: I know that installing IDSS desktop app requires to have IDSS 1.5 extension, along with NTB, installed onto any browsers(such as (MS IE11, FireFox, Google Chrome) installed and supported by IDSS. So, why are there Chrome , and FireFox independent ID Safe extensions?

Kudos0

First of all, as long as you have mentioned that IDSS doesn't use a local vault, then there are other Apps use local vault. What are those Apps?
You would have to research this on the internet. If you had a local vault at some time the ID Safe in the Norton Security products can still work with that local vault. But if you did not have a local vault, you cannot create a new local vault with Norton.

Secondly: I don't see any ID Safe extension for MS Edge, however, there are only new Chrome, and FireFox ID Safe extensions.
You can only get the ID Safe extension for Edge if you have the Win 10 Creators UPdate installed. If you do have CU, click on the 3 dots at the right of the address bar in Edge. Then click on Extensions, and then on Get extensions from Store. Then find the Norton ID Safe extension and install it.

Thirdly: Yes, you think I can install the Chrome ID Safe extension and the FireFox and Edge extensions without needing to install IDSS desktop app? 

Yes you can. But you will lose some of the functions noted in the posts above.

Finally: I know that installing IDSS desktop app requires to have IDSS 1.5 extension, along with NTB, installed onto any browsers(such as (MS IE11, FireFox, Google Chrome) installed and supported by IDSS. So, why are there Chrome , and FireFox independent ID Safe extensions?

It is IDSS that installed the version 1.0.5 extension for Chrome, and whatever the appropriate versions for IE. AFAIK, IDSS did not work with FF.  The new extensions for FF and Chrome are part of Norton's attempt to move to a unified extension for all browsers.

Kudos0

peterweb:

Yes you can. But you will lose some of the functions noted in the posts above.

Finally: I know that installing IDSS desktop app requires to have IDSS 1.5 extension, along with NTB, installed onto any browsers(such as (MS IE11, FireFox, Google Chrome) installed and supported by IDSS. So, why are there Chrome , and FireFox independent ID Safe extensions?

It is IDSS that installed the version 1.0.5 extension for Chrome, and whatever the appropriate versions for IE. AFAIK, IDSS did not work with FF.  The new extensions for FF and Chrome are part of Norton's attempt to move to a unified extension for all browsers.

Thanks a lot,

I think the one of the functions I will lose when don't have IDSS app installed on my device, and only have ID safe extensions for Chrome, MS Edge, FF installed, is the 'auto-logins filling function', and 'auto-loggins-saving function' 

Finally: the IDSS extension for Google Chrome shows disabled in the 'general' tab in the settings of IDSS although it sounds that it is functioning. If you look at this screen shot below, you will see in the top-left hand corner, "sing in to your Norton account to open your Vault and save time online", which means if I had been signed in to my Norton account, then my Vault would have been opened. 

I see,  in the screen shot above, that the NTB doesn't appear on the Google Chrome as shown on the MS IE11(Screen shot below). Though NTB is enabled in the Chrome extensions. 

Kudos0

Could anyone please reply to my final post? (I do no longer see the screen shots uploaded and inserted in my last post?) Do you see them?

Kudos0

cooperator:

Could anyone please reply to my final post? (I do no longer see the screen shots uploaded and inserted in my last post?) Do you see them?

Yes, I see them. 

Kudos0

I still see your images. Try refreshing your browser, or maybe clear the browser cache.

I think the one of the functions I will lose when don't have IDSS app installed on my device, and only have ID safe extensions for Chrome, MS Edge, FF installed, is the 'auto-logins filling function', and 'auto-loggins-saving function' 

For now that would be correct. Hopefully a future update will restore those functions.

From your image, the Norton Toolbar is not visible. I have noticed some pages where the toolbar does not seem to appear. In this case, it could be that the ID Safe drop down bar is covering the Norton Toolbar. If you click the X at the right, does the Toolbar show again?

If you look at this screen shot below, you will see in the top-left hand corner, "sing in to your Norton account to open your Vault and save time online", which means if I had been signed in to my Norton account, then my Vault would have been opened. 

Not necessarily. Your signing into your Norton Account could survive system restarts and browser restarts. But the vault login would still be reset when you restart the computer or your browser.

Kudos0

peterweb:

I still see your images. Try refreshing your browser, or maybe clear the browser cache.

For now that would be correct. Hopefully a future update will restore those functions.

Thanks a lot,

You mean the logins saved in my online vault will not be auto-filled when only using the IDSafe extension 3.0 for Google Chrome, FF, MS Edge without having IDSS app installed. Also, new logins will not be saved as well? These functions I will lose when I don't' have IDSS app installed on my device, and only have IDS Safe extensions for Chrome, MS Edge, FEE installed?

peterweb:

From your image, the Norton Toolbar is not visible. I have noticed some pages where the toolbar does not seem to appear. In this case, it could be that the ID Safe drop down bar is covering the Norton Toolbar. If you click the X at the right, does the Toolbar show again?

If you look at this screen shot below, you will see in the top-left hand corner, "sing in to your Norton account to open your Vault and save time online", which means if I had been signed in to my Norton account, then my Vault would have been opened. 

When I mean with "sing in to your Norton account to open your Vault and save time online" with that when launching Google Chrome, then "sign in to your Norton account to open your Vault and save time online"  pops up to me since I am not signed yet to it, which means if I had been signed in to my Norton account, then my Vault would have been opened.  So, that popups of 'sign in to your Norton account to open your Vault' means that IDSS is functioning well, or otherwise I wouldn't be faced with that popup message. Thus, why do I still see (Google Chrome 'extension disabled') in the 'general tab of IDSS. (Could you have seen my last screenshot?)

No if I have clicked on X at the right shown in the popup of "sign in to your Norton account to open your Vault and save time online", then only this popup will be hidden. No relation is there with that popup message and  NTB at all.

Could you see that the NTB is being shown on MS IE11(screen shot was posted in the bottom of my previous post)? And NTB is not being  shown on Google Chrome although the NTB, along with IDSS, extension is being enabled in the Google Chrome extensions(screen shot was posted in  a previous post of mine).

Kudos0

You mean the logins saved in my online vault will not be auto-filled when only using the IDSafe extension 3.0 for Google Chrome, FF, MS Edge without having IDSS app installed. Also, new logins will not be saved as well? These functions I will lose when I don't' have IDSS app installed on my device, and only have IDS Safe extensions for Chrome, MS Edge, FEE installed?

The functionality will be reduced if you only have the new 3.0 extensions. I just tried a few logins and they do not seem to autofil, but a Norton login prompt comes up that you click on to fill in the login details.  And I seem to have mis spoken about the auto save feature. There is a setting in the new extensions for saving new logins.

Thus, why do I still see (Google Chrome 'extension disabled') in the 'general tab of IDSS. (Could you have seen my last screenshot?)

Other users have seen this message. It is just a disconnect between Norton and the newer version of the toolbars. As long as the ID Safe functions in Chrome, just ignore that message. You could try setting Chrome as your default browser to see it that changes the message. 

If the Norton Toolbar is not showing in  Chrome, click on the little black square Norton Icon at the right of the address bar. That should bring back the Toolbar.

Kudos1 Stats

how come the new google chrome norton identity safe extension is different in that your signing in remotely on your actual norton account and it sync's it?......then you can /or not sign in to the local identity safe, either way the extension works , i guess its getting info from the clouds............then the new extension shows the page sign in that you must click before clicking enter , to enter the sign in, ....its alot more buttons & clicking to do same thing.........you think norton test this stuff before making it public, or is this beta?..............the only reason i will continue to use the new google chrome norton identity safe extension/ cloud is because that it works with ebay/gmail......the local id safe and old google chrome norton identity safe extension does not.............norton needs revamped and improved, it cant be that hard to get all the lil duckies in a row

Kudos0

peterweb:

You can only get the ID Safe extension for Edge if you have the Win 10 Creators UPdate installed. If you do have CU, click on the 3 dots at the right of the address bar in Edge. Then click on Extensions, and then on Get extensions from Store. Then find the Norton ID Safe extension and install it.

Thanks a lot, via the autoupdates, eventually my Window 10 version 1607, Build 14393.1593 got updated to the  "Version: 1703, Build: 15063.632" is called with the Win 10 Creators UPdate.

However, when searching for  "Norton ID Safe extension" in Store, I was faced with 'no results were found for Norton ID Safe extension'

However, When searching for "Norton ID Safe", I found "Norton Studio" by Symantec Corporation. Is it this required to be installed?  

If yes, then it would be for both architecture, x84 or x64. I have Windows 10 Home Premium- 64-bit-based-system.

Kudos0

It is not the Windows 10 Store you search. Follow my instructions about accessing the Extensions settings in the Edge browser. That takes you to a separate Extensions section of the Store. ID Safe should be there. Should not be hard to find. I just checked, and there are only 69 extensions available for Edge.

Kudos0

peterweb:

It is not the Windows 10 Store you search. Follow my instructions about accessing the Extensions settings in the Edge browser. That takes you to a separate Extensions section of the Store. ID Safe should be there. Should not be hard to find. I just checked, and there are only 69 extensions available for Edge.

Thanks a lot,

I was NOT intending to post the screenshot of the 'Extensions section of the Store'. However, I've now posted it to let you see with yourself. I now found it listed, but when only search for "Norton Identity Safe". Do you think it should be installed.

However, searing for  "Norton ID Safe" , it only brought Norton Studio, which is not the required one.

Kudos0

Do you think it should be installed.

Only you can answer that. If you want to use ID Safe in the Edge browser, then yes. You need to install it.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.