• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

BUG-Norton Security 22.10 degrades system performance

Ever since I updated to 22.10, I have noticed a severe issue regarding performance.  After installing the update, everything is fine for a few hours but then all hell breaks loose.  Windows becomes very slow to respond and opening IE results in a IE window that is frozen and windows explorer becomes very sluggish to navigate.  The hard drive is thrashing and I have seen the Norton Security process with active disk usage as high as 60%+ with it writing 8 MB/s for 20 mins or longer.  Opening the main Norton UI even takes about 5 or 10 mins and the disk thrashes when it does that as well.  I have to do a hard reboot because Windows takes forever to restart and then everything is fine until Norton Security does its degradation after a few hours and this has happened on both of my desktop systems with Windows 10 Creators Update.

22.10 should be pulled quite honestly with all of these problems going on.  Norton 22.9.4 had been running perfectly for me and I wish I could keep 22.9.4 installed without being auto updated to 22.10

Windows 10 Pro v.1703 64-Bit / IE 11 / Firefox 55.0.3 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 / NU 16.0.2.53 / Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2

Replies

Kudos0

Re: BUG-Norton Security 22.10 degrades system performance

Hi, Pcloverxp. I have the same OS as you, and have not experienced this issue.

I assume you have done a full restart and would suggest disabling Fast Start Up if you haven't already, as this has been known to cause issues.

If that doesn't work, maybe a reinstall using the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool might work, as it will give you a fresh copy.

www.norton.com/nrnr

Keep us posted.

Windows 10 X64 Creators Update
Kudos0

I have done a full restart of Windows, I always disable the Fast Startup feature though I wish Windows would respect the current setting between upgrades of Windows 10.  I have noticed though that even if the system is running fine at the moment opening the main UI still takes a bit longer than before, it would open almost instantly while now on 22.10 it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to open up after clicking on the tray icon.  I believe there are performance issues with this release as this UI lag and the system performance degradation is seen on both machines, one of which is a completely fresh install of Windows 10 that was reimaged from a backup that had no version of Norton Security installed before the image was taken.

Windows 10 Pro v.1703 64-Bit / IE 11 / Firefox 55.0.3 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 / NU 16.0.2.53 / Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2
Kudos0

Hi, again. It's possible that the update may have become/been corrupted, so a reinstall at least will give you a fresh copy.

Might be worth trying. As I said, no issues here.

Kudos0

Its been a few days but i did use the Norton Remove & Reinstall tool to see if the performance problem would come back, and i thought everything would work normally, but just tonight, the disk usage for Norton Security kept my system from actually doing anything useful.  IE would just stop in its tracks and becomes unresponsive when the window opens and opening the Norton Security UI takes several minutes with the hard disk running nonstop.  I dont know if there is a background scan going on at the times im using the machine as the security history doesnt show a scan running at the time of the performance issue.  I did find everything goes back to normal, but it takes about half hour or so.  Quite the mystery I have.

Kudos0

Symantec is aware of the issues with V 22.10, and are investigating.

Kudos0

Pcloverxp

After you reinstalled Norton, did you check your Norton version again? Others here who have reinstalled, were only able to get to ver 22.9.x.x. because the phased release of 22.10 seems to have been paused. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

When I did the initial reinstall, it did update up to 22.10 and once again the issues presented themselves, but when I decided to do a reinstall again this afternoon because I was fed up with the performance and stability issues with Windows related to NS 22.10 it only updated to 22.9.4.8 and since then Windows and NS has been running great.

Kudos0

I've not seen "Veritas System Recovery" in person before, I know Symantec owned Veritas for a while before splitting them back off. I wonder if that has something to do with it? (Also nice on the amount of ram)

Kudos0

I'm seeing this problem too on one of my PCs. The only thing I can see happening different on the affected PC from the others is NS starts "going crazy" when I launch Windows Live Mail and it starts downloading emails. Two days ago when NS started running like crazy it started misidentifying numerous files as having a virus and quarantining them (apparently a definitions update had a defective definition because yesterday it put all the files back in their original locations) so I'm guessing that when the email scanner starts NS is starting a regular full system scan at the same time.

Kudos0

I've got 3 PCs on this latest version of Norton plus latest updates to Win 10, no such issues at all. In fact I've found Norton lesss sluggish than even Windows Defender! From time to time I get various issues on my PCs which ultimately you can end up so much time troubleshooting that the best remedy is to re-install the OS from fresh and build up again the various apps, then at the end install Norton or whichever AV solution. Invariably it resovles most if not all issues. That's not a Norton issue, it's the quality problems and complexity of Windows.

Kudos0

sewing1243:

....The only thing I can see happening different on the affected PC from the others is NS starts "going crazy" when I launch Windows Live Mail and it starts downloading emails. Two days ago when NS started running like crazy it started misidentifying numerous files as having a virus and quarantining them (apparently a definitions update had a defective definition because yesterday it put all the files back in their original locations) so I'm guessing that when the email scanner starts NS is starting a regular full system scan at the same time.

Hi sewing1243:

I don't know if this is relevant, but my Windows Mail e-mail client started timing out after 60 seconds, throwing connections errors and causing high CPU consumption by nsbu.exe yesterday when I tried to download/sync e-mails from Microsoft's Outlook.com (Live.com) server.  Today I'm seeing intermittent  0x800CCC0F errors retrieving messages from both Outlook.com and my ISP (Shaw.ca).

I've seen the same errors on occasion in the past and disabling Norton AntiSpam (Settings | AntiSpam | Filter) seems to solve the problem.  See the Sept 2016 thread Norton Security causing high CPU Usage where users Mark my mate and KBPrez also solved their high CPU usage by disabling AntiSpam.

My post <here> in that thread noted that my high CPU and connections errors to my ISP e-mail server seemed to be related to whether I was using their standard TCP ports [Port 25 for SMTP (outgoing) and Port 110 for POP3 (incoming)] versus their secure SSL servers [Port 587 for SMTP-S and Port 995 for POP3-S].
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS Premium v22.10.0.85 * MBAM v3.1.2

Kudos0

I'm finding that this recent update seems to be slowing down Win 10 in general but Chrome browser especially, with sites spinning for over a minute before loading. Other browsers are OK. Done various troubleshooting and only removing Norton completely resolves this. Now wondering how to proceed. Might re-install but without browser components but not sure how much that really impacts security / risk ?

Kudos0

Cavehomme1:

I'm finding that this recent update seems to be slowing down Win 10 in general but Chrome browser especially, with sites spinning for over a minute before loading. Other browsers are OK...

Hi Cavehomme1:

Have you tried disabling Exploit Prevention (Settings | Firewall | Intrusion and Browser Protection | Exploit Prevention) to see if this improves performance?

Do you have any other security programs that run in real-time protection mode [e.g., Malwarebytes Premium, Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), etc.]?
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.2.1 * NS v22.10.0.85 * MB Premium v3.1.2

Kudos0

I re-installed with a fresh download from my Norton Account, seems to be OK for the past few hours, nothing disabled other than the usual toolbar rubbish.

Kudos0

I just got done with a complete reinstall of Windows 10 and reinstalled NS 22.10 and so far everything is smooth.  Most likely I ended up with Windows getting corrupted somehow as I was starting to have problems with other programs not running correctly.

Kudos0

I spoke too soon.  This evening NS started doing it's disk thrashing routine and once that starts up, my system becomes useless until its done or I do a hard reboot.  I cant get the Norton UI to open or the right-click menu on the tray icon to respond while the drive is running nonstop.  The only way to get it stop without rebooting is to kill the Norton Security process in Task Manager, but doing so requires the Tamper Protection to be disabled and trying to open the UI to do it takes about 5 or 6 mins.  Once the Norton Security process is killed and restarted the system becomes normal until the whole cycle begins again, which could be anywhere from 20 mins to an hour or so after I get the system normalized.  Will this be dealt with anytime soon?  I think Im going to uninstall Norton and keep it off my system until it gets fixed.  I have 39 days left on this subscription going to waste because of this.

Kudos0

So I now know what component is causing my high disk usage problem.  I used the Windows Resource Monitor and found the file distrptr.dat is causing the problem.  I found a thread about the same problem from a few years ago.  The solutions mentioned in that thread has not helped me in this instance, as this is happening right after I install NS on a completely fresh Windows install and not just a reimaged install and running the NRnR doesn't prevent this from occurring again as it will start disk thrashing a day or two after NS is reinstalled.  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/distrptrdat-stands-disruptor

Someone from Symantec should be looking into getting this fixed as apparently this has been known for some time.

Kudos0

How did you figure out that the Disruptor was causing the problem?  I had high disk usage problems, but I ended up slicking my hard drive and reinstalling.  I'm waiting now to see if I have any issues.

Kudos0

I opened the Task Manager to the Performance tab and then clicked on the Open Resource Monitor link on the bottom of the window.  In Resource Monitor on the Disk tab, I looked for any processes with the highest Read or Write activity at the time of the disk thrashing and in all cases of it occurring it was listed as NSBU.exe and with the file as C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NSBU_22.10.0.85\diStRptr\distrptr.dat.  After I reinstalled Windows myself, I had thought that I had the problem resolved but after a few days of reinstalling NS 22.10 it came back even with the 22.10.1.10 update that was just released.  Also notice when you have to open the main NSBU interface that the disk has to run hard just to open it and the time it takes to actually open which is usually around 1 or 2 seconds after clicking the tray icon but since this problem has shown up, it takes 6 or 7 seconds.

Kudos1 Stats

Pcloverxp:

So I now know what component is causing my high disk usage problem.  I used the Windows Resource Monitor and found the file distrptr.dat is causing the problem..

Hi Pcloverxp:

Do you have Norton Community Watch (NCW) enabled at Settings | Administrative Settings?

The diStRptr.dll dynamic link library located on my machine at C:\Program Files\Norton Security with Backup\Engine\22.10.1.10\diStrRptr is called the Stat Reporter Job Worker.  I'm not certain, but I believe diStRptr is associated with the reporting functions of NCW and/or the background product maintenance tasks - see ondrejholas' 2014 thread diStRptr.dat, Product Maintenance and stats.qalabs.symantec.com.  I disabled NCW (Settings | Administrative Settings | Detailed Error Data Collection is set to Never and Norton Community Watch is OFF) because I found that NCW submissions to Symantec were consuming excessive resources on my system.

First, confirm that Windows Fast Startup has not been re-enabled since you reinstalled your OS.  Some Windows updates can also re-enable this setting.  Instructions for disabling Fast Startup in Win 8.1x and Win 10 are available in the support article Message: "You Are At Risk. Your computer and network protections are at risk".  It's possible that Fast Startup is interfering with data submissions back to the Symantec servers.

Go to Security | History | Submissions and Errors and see if you have any warning or errors under Norton Error Reporting or Norton Community Watch. There are no logs in either of those sections of my security history because error reporting and NCW both are disabled on my machine.

Go to Norton Tasks at Settings | Administrative Settings | Background Tasks | Configure and see how many seconds the NCW and greyed-out maintenance tasks require to run to completion.  My NCW task still runs daily even though NCW is disabled in my settings but it always finishes in 1 sec.  Greyed-out maintenance tasks for AntiSpam / Licensing / Insight / Product Maintenance tasks should also finish in about 1 sec.  Just FYI, my machine was booted up around 6:10 AM today.

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\<NSxx_22.x.x.x>\diStRptr folder and check the size of your diStRptr.dat and diStRptr.dat.log files.  User ondrejholas noted that the diStRptr.dat file grew to over 50 MB when his NCW and maintenance tasks started failing to connect to the Symantec backend servers and submit status reports.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.1.10 * MB v3.2.2

Kudos0

I have confirmed that the Windows Fast Startup is not enabled and that the distrptr.dat file is almost at 65 MB in size.  It was 3 weeks ago when I reinstalled Windows and NS and the distrptr.dat file has grown in size since then.  I did see today in the Security History in the Error Reporting category that an error condition did occur in Module:  DistRptr and that was recorded in the history twice.  My background tasks seem to run normally though as Norton Community Watch completes with a duration of 25 seconds and the other tasks also complete with durations of 1 min to 4 mins.

Kudos0

Pcloverxp:

I have confirmed that the Windows Fast Startup is not enabled and that the distrptr.dat file is almost at 65 MB in size.  It was 3 weeks ago when I reinstalled Windows and NS and the distrptr.dat file has grown in size since then...

Hi Pcloverxp:

A 65 MB diStRptr.dat file in the C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\<NSxx_22.x.x.x>\diStRptr folder sounds a bit large to me, but that might normal for Win 10 computers with error reporting and Norton Community Watch enabled.  Some of the Win 10 users following this thread might have to jump in and let you know the size of their own diStRptr.dat file.

Your signature says you're still on NSBU v22.10.0.85.  Is that a typo, or are you still waiting for LiveUpdate to deliver the latest v22.10.1.10 product update that started rolling out on 28-Aug-2017?

On 13-Jul-2017 Guru F 4 E posted <here> in this thread that "Symantec is aware of the issues with V 22.10, and are investigating".  I don't know if that means that Symantec has told the Gurus that there is (or was) a known bug causing high CPU consumption on some systems, but according to Tony Weiss' Hot Issues and Fixes post there are no "hot issues" being reported in the current v22.10.1.10.  He does say, however, that "Since the release of Norton 22.10.1.10, some issues have been discovered that our engineering team is working to resolve."

Under normal circumstances I would recommend you do a perform a clean reinstall of Norton (let me know if you need instructions) since this does a much better job of removing out-of-date and/or corrupted files than a simple refresh of your installation with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool, but if you reinstalled your entire Win 10 OS and reinstalled Norton in mid-August I'm not sure wiping your current Norton installation would help you at this point.

Just another quick question for other users following this thread in case a clean reinstall is required.  I know that running the NRnR tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode as instructed at www.norton.com/nrt will remove Norton Family, but does anyone know if this would also remove Pcloverxp's Norton Utilities as well?
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.1.10 * MB v3.2.2

Kudos0

I have NS 22.10.1.10, I just updated my sig.  I have found that only one other PC besides my primary one has this problem, but my dad's laptop and desktop both with 22.10.1.10 don't have it and I haven't had performance issues with those at all.  The systems with no issues have the distrptr.dat file size of just 30 or 40 KB and both Error reporting and Norton Community Watch are enabled.  As far as the NRnR tool in Advanced Remove Only, I'm not sure if it will do anything to Norton Utilities, although its possible, but I do remember it will do some damage to my install of Veritas System Recovery 16 ( or Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2).  After running NRnR in advanced remove only,  VSR 16 seems to be unable to connect to the backup & recovery service and displays an error on the main UI and it requires either an Installation repair or a complete uninstall / reinstall to fix the error.

Kudos0

Pcloverxp:

...As far as the NRnR tool in Advanced Remove Only, I'm not sure if it will do anything to Norton Utilities, although its possible, but I do remember it will do some damage to my install of Veritas System Recovery 16 ( or Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2).  After running NRnR in advanced remove only,  VSR 16 seems to be unable to connect to the backup & recovery service and displays an error on the main UI..

Hi Pcloverxp

I'm more familiar with the old Norton Removal Tool (NRT) and knew it could damage other Norton products like Norton Ghost and Norton Utilities so I wouldn't be surprised if your Veritas System Recovery backup software was damaged when you ran the new Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode.

Also note that running the NRnR tool in "Remove Only" mode is just one step in the clean reinstall process and might not solve your current problem if you have a corrupted file in your C:\ProgramData\Norton\... folder.  The NRnR tool does a decent job of removing executables in the C:\Program Files\<Norton product name> installation folder but many static data files (.txt, .log, .dat, etc.) in the C:\ProgramData\Norton\... folder and other locations will not be removed by a "Remove Only" wipe with the NRnR tool.  When performing a clean reinstall you must uninstall from the Control Panel and choose "Please remove all user data" to remove additional static data files before wiping with the NRnR tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode, but even that can step be problematic for Norton Identity Safe users who still have an old-style "local" password vault (i.e., .dat file) created with Norton v19.x (2012) and older.

I'm on my way out the door and will be gone most of the day but if you still want me to post instructions for performing a clean reinstall the first thing we need to do is find out if any Norton products other than Norton Family could be damaged by running the new NRnR tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode.  We might have to contact Norton Customer Service at www.norton.com/chat if someone else following this thread doesn't have the answer.
------------

Kudos1 Stats

Hi @Pcloverxp,

I've passed on this performance issue to the team for investigation. I'll update this thread when I have more information and I'll reach out to you when I need logs or other information.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Mohan_G:

Hi @Pcloverxp,

I've passed on this performance issue to the team for investigation. I'll update this thread when I have more information and I'll reach out to you when I need logs or other information.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quite a long time ago I had a custom program (don't even remember what it was now), but it made (and received) numerous http connections all of which had unique URLs. Every single request was noted by NCW. In a few months the Norton logs stopped working, then Norton stopped working altogether. I ended up finding and clearing something to do with submitting these infopoints to Norton and turning NCW of for that PC. If NCW collects so much info that it can't even send it in (due to pure benign volume) chances are the Symantec analysts at the other end don't need it either.

If you are collecting water samples at random locations and find yourself in the ocean don't take a small 64 billion gallon sample of it -- You'll never use it

Kudos0

I have had this problem on multiple computers and with several versions of Norton Security (i.e. well before 22.10). I've done everything: remove, reinstall, nothing works.

The workaround is to go into safe mode, delete or rename diStRptr.dat, then restart. I have to do that every two months or so. Totally unacceptable.

Kudos0

user1200:

The workaround is to go into safe mode, delete or rename diStRptr.dat, then restart.

Hi user1200:

Another typical symptom that I believe is related to this problem is that users who have Detailed Error Data Collection and Norton Community Watch (NCW) enabled in Settings | Administrative Settings sometimes see a backlog of unsubmitted error data reports accumulate in their C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NSxx_22.x.x.x\ErrMgmt\Queue\Incoming folder.

See the screenshot in tridentcore's in the old thread My NAV using too much disk space, safe to delete files..? as well as comments in Ronnie Pincus' recent thread Why Is My ProgramData\Norton Folder So Big?.

As I noted <here> I've had to permanently disable NCW in my settings to avoid these types of problems.

------------

Kudos0

user1200:  The workaround is to go into safe mode, delete or rename diStRptr.dat, then restart. I have to do that every two months or so.

what's diStRptr.dat ?

Kudos0

All my reported problems above are now all OK, Norton running very smoothly. My default setup has anti-spam and Identity Safe disabled, perhaps that may have some influence.  From time to time I have used Malwarebytes Premium simultaneously but not noticed any issues after mutually excluding processes and folders. I've just checked my diStRptr.dat file and it's a tiny 37kb therefore definitely not an issue for me. On Windows 10 Pro 1703.

Kudos0

So, as a test, I have turned NCW off. diStRptr.dat is at 23 kb (was 22 a minute ago), now we wait.

Kudos0

bjm_: what's diStRptr.dat ?

Please see above post from Imacri.

Kudos0

user1200:

diStrRptr is called the Stat Reporter Job Worker.  I'm not certain, but I believe diStRptr is associated with the reporting functions of NCW and/or the background product maintenance tasks

Stat Reporter Job Worker is associated with the reporting functions of NCW and/or the background product maintenance tasks ??
Does BUG-Norton Security 22.10 degrade system performance for all that have NCW enabled ??

Kudos0

bjm_:
user1200:

diStrRptr is called the Stat Reporter Job Worker.  I'm not certain, but I believe diStRptr is associated with the reporting functions of NCW and/or the background product maintenance tasks

Stat Reporter Job Worker is associated with the reporting functions of NCW and/or the background product maintenance tasks ??
Does BUG-Norton Security 22.10 degrade system performance for all that have NCW enabled ??

I don't have degraded performance and I have it enabled. Then again I don't have many NCW items which triggered to submit (2 pages tops at the moment). Someone with 70 pages waiting to submit may have a different experience.

Kudos2 Stats

I just got an update through LiveUpdate on wed afternoon labeled "Product Update" and no version number was noticed but after the update was applied, I restarted Windows and left the PC on all day and now so far the issue with the disk thrashing has went away, the main UI opens instantly and IE opens quicker and is more stable now.  I looked into the distRptr folder and noticed that the large 65 MB distrptr.dat file was renamed as a .bak and the new .dat file is only 24 KB in size.  Hopefully this update fixed the problem.

Kudos1 Stats

Pcloverxp:

Hopefully this update fixed the problem.

You can find a description of that Update in the Hot Links at the top right side of the Norton Security Board > Hot Issues and Fixes > linked Threads (at the bottom of the page).

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 61.0.3163.79 | NS 22.10.1.10
Kudos1 Stats

Rainbow_2:

You can find a description of that Update in the Hot Links at the top right side of the Norton Security Board > Hot Issues and Fixes > linked Threads (at the bottom of the page).

Please see also  Norton 22.10.1 Product Update available now​  -  Edited 14-9-2017 at 9.40 AM

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 61.0.3163.79 | NS 22.10.1.10
Kudos1 Stats

Pcloverxp:

I just got an update through LiveUpdate on wed afternoon labeled "Product Update" and no version number was noticed but after the update was applied, I restarted Windows and left the PC on all day and now so far the issue with the disk thrashing has went away, the main UI opens instantly and IE opens quicker and is more stable now.

Hi Pcloverxp:

I was one of the users affected by the Norton Peek bug fixed yesterday via LiveUpdate by the Norton product update. This is bug first appeared in v22.10.0.83 (rel. ~ 06-Jul-217), was temporarily fixed a few weeks later in v22.10.0.85 (rel. ~ 17-Jul-2017), and then reappeared in v22.10.1.10 (rel. ~ 28-Aug-2017).  It could be a coincidence but this Norton Peek bug was first identified around the same time your high disk usage started.

Unlike some of the other users affected by this bug, I could enable / disable the Norton Peek widget with the Ctrl+Alt+P keys, but see the image in my 29-Aug-2017 post in the thread Norton Peek Feature Enabled in 22.10 which includes the following comment:

When I activated Norton Peek today with the Ctrl+Alt+P keys my Norton Product Tamper Protection history was flooded every few seconds with similar Unauthorized Access Blocked messages, except that the actor was my Firefox ESR browser. Those messages stopped as soon as I disabled Norton Peek with another Ctrl+Alt+P.

Many people who were affected by this bug would see the Norton Peek widget randomly appearing on their desktop, but if your Norton security history was "silently" logging Unauthorized Access Blocked messages related to fldghost.exe (the host process that launches Norton Peek) and/or accumulating a backlog of Peek-related Detailed Error Data Collection reports for Norton Community Watch (NCW) submissions then that could have been the cause of your high disk usage and large 65 MB distrptr.dat file.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.1.10 * MB Premium v3.2.2

Kudos0

Hi @Pcloverxp,

I just got an update through LiveUpdate on wed afternoon labeled "Product Update" and no version number was noticed but after the update was applied, I restarted Windows and left the PC on all day and now so far the issue with the disk thrashing has went away, the main UI opens instantly and IE opens quicker and is more stable now.  I looked into the distRptr folder and noticed that the large 65 MB distrptr.dat file was renamed as a .bak and the new .dat file is only 24 KB in size.  Hopefully this update fixed the problem.

Thank you for the update.

Please keep us posted on the status.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Mohan_G:

Hi @Pcloverxp,

Thank you for the update.

Please keep us posted on the status.

Were changes made regarding this, or are you just keeping up with the user?

If changes were already made (which you hope help) please let us know more details.

If changes have not yet been deployed, please let us know when you do something.

Kudos0

If changes were already made (which you hope help) please let us know more details

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7625291#comment-7625291

Product announcement blog updated.

Kudos0

peterweb:

If changes were already made (which you hope help) please let us know more details

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7625291#comment-7625291

Product announcement blog updated.

The only performance related update I see there is "minor performance improvements" from 25th of August. The user already had that update but was still reporting the problem.

If an update was released to fix this problem, where/what are the details?

If an update for this problem was not released then this user's issue went away spontaneously?

Kudos0

I can only pass on what we are told. That blog announcement update is what I have. 

Did it go away 'on its own'?  Only the programmers know exactly how the features work in the background. Maybe the pending NCW submissions were sent and the system has stabilized again.

Kudos0

peterweb:

I can only pass on what we are told. That blog announcement update is what I have. 

Did it go away 'on its own'?  Only the programmers know exactly how the features work in the background. Maybe the pending NCW submissions were sent and the system has stabilized again.

Well, that's why I was asking Mohan_G, it's unclear what if anything has been done.

Kudos0

The product update downloaded via LiveUpdate is to address the Norton Peek issue. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Tony_Weiss:

The product update downloaded via LiveUpdate is to address the Norton Peek issue. Thanks.

In that case it's seems that this user's issue resolved spontaneously this time. There was no attempted fix released at this time? (I guess)

Last I checked NCW doesn't seem to have limits on it as to how many samples to collect for submission.

If you are collecting water[malware/non-malware data points] samples at random locations and find yourself in the ocean[computer with tens of thousands of times more potential samples than you expected to ever see] don't take a "small" 64 billion gallon[enough to bog a computer down] sample of it.

Kudos2 Stats

Well, so then it appears that my disk usage problem and the Norton Peek issue were caused by the same bug and the patch fixed both issues, killing two birds with one stone so to speak.  I checked the distrptr.dat file and its only now 27 KB and have NCW and Error Reporting set to ON.  During this whole issue I never had enabled or played with Norton Peek and it never showed up at all for me.

Kudos0

Pcloverxp:

Well, so then it appears that my disk usage problem and the Norton Peek issue were caused by the same bug and the patch fixed both issues, killing two birds with one stone so to speak.  I checked the distrptr.dat file and its only now 27 KB and have NCW and Error Reporting set to ON.  During this whole issue I never had enabled or played with Norton Peek and it never showed up at all for me.

From the sound of it you NCW submission cache got cleared somehow. Successful submission, relaunching the product (update did that), or coincidence? As far as documented/discussed fixes released to fix the issue, there were none as far as I know.

Kudos0

Well, guess what?  After that update, the system was fine for a few days then BAM it started using the disk hard once again and my distrptr.dat grew from 28 KB to 11 MB in 2 days.  I completely uninstalled NS and deleted everything in the Norton folder in C:/ProgramData folder.  I reinstalled with a 22.10.1.10 installer and ran LiveUpdate to install all the updates.  Once again It was fine for 2 days and then today the disk is running hard.  The distrptr.dat file is now 28 MB and the disk is still running hard after 30 mins and I can't open the Norton UI to turn off Tamper Protection so I can terminate the Norton process and now have to do a hard reboot to get my system back.  I never had any issues like this with 22.9 and I think 22.10 is a bad release all around (for me anyway) and they should go to the next release like 22.11 or something.

Kudos0

I've had this issue for well over a year. This computer was new in January, and I have had to do my workaround in March, May, and September. I turned NCW off for a week and had no issues. Turned it on last Friday, and am not having issues. Yet.