• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2 Stats

Norton Peek feature enabled in 22.10

We learn something new every day!!  I have never seen this feature before this evening. I was obviously pressing something to make this enable before shutting off my touchpad. Ctrl + Alt + P keys but still wondering how in the world I was doing that.  Handy little feature all the same.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v122270298_ns_retail_en_us

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Creators Update version 1703 build 15063.608 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 Traditional

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Peek feature enabled in 22.10

Folks please read all the posts in this thread from the very beginning. This issue isn't just affecting a few its beginning to become widespread. Norton employees have also become involved and are aware of what is taking place. Time will give us a remedy for this. Of course that will not be posted as far as a date or time but will be announced in the product updates thread on the forums. https://community.norton.com/en/forums/hot-issues-and-fixes

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Creators Update version 1703 build 15063.608 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 Traditional
Kudos0

It's back after an "automatic" Live Update so the 'Search Shortcut Key' disable fix doesn't work either. Just confirming!

Kudos0

Norton Peek made my computer unusable because just pressing the letter P would open Norton Peek.  It turns out you can’t really type much without the letter P.  All my searches to remove or disable were dead ends. 

I finally found the solution on my own. 

Open Norton Security and click on “Settings”.  Next click on “Administrative Settings”.  Next click on “Use Defaults”.  Finally, click the “Apply” button and Peek will then be gone. 

If you previously changed any default settings, you will need to change them again. 

Kudos0

Norton Peek made my computer unusable because just pressing the letter P would open Norton Peek.  It turns out you can’t really type much without the letter P.  All my searches to remove or disable were dead ends. 

I finally found the solution on my own. 

Open Norton Security and click on “Settings”.  Next click on “Administrative Settings”.  Next click on “Use Defaults”.  Finally, click the “Apply” button and Peek will then be gone. 

If you previously changed any default settings, you will need to change them again. 

Kudos0

Windows 7 using Norton 360 V. 22.10.1.10 - Retail Version (My last one perhaps after 15+ years)

Press P - PEEK appears. Press P again, PEEK disappears. This isn't fun.

PEEK has turned itself on & off 13 times while writing this post (14 times now!)

Kudos0

FWIW, (and at least for the time being,) Peek's popups can be thwarted from appearing by selecting a display scaling value (for your video adapter) that's something other than 100%.

Granted, this might not be the case for all makes/models of video adapters (and/or their versions of associated display drivers), but thus far I've found this to work well for the various Intel MB Integrated, ATI, and Nvidia video adapters I've tried it on...

Here's a link to a Paul Thurrott article on where/how to alter your video adapter's display scaling (within Windows-10):

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4597/windows-10-feature-focus-display-scaling

Using the Thurrott supplied info you can achieve a "more subtle" (far less noticeable) deviant display scaling value that still (for now at least) thwarts the Norton Peek popups...

You can also do a quick temporary test (that's much more visually drastic than Paul's more granular scaling deviations,) just to determine if this workaround might be applicable/usable on your particular adapter (and for so long as Norton continues to allow the workaround's existence to remain )...

Just open the Windows Display Settings dialog (using a right-click on your Desktop and select "Display settings":

On the resulting Windows Display properties panel you can select a (more drastic) scaling value:

Cheers!

Kudos0

Can you please disable this **Beep** useless Norton Peek of yours. THANK YOU.
I just got it right now after I live update yesterday! Can't believe I paying for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win 8.1 x64

[Admin edit: Removed offensive content]

Kudos0

It doesn't work for me.

win 8.1 x64

Kudos7 Stats

Thanks for your patience. Our engineering team has released a NORTON PEEK HOTFIX via LiveUpdate, which turns off Norton Peek entirely. This will download via LiveUpdate automatically, or you can run LiveUpdate manually to receive the hotfix. It will appear as "NS Product Update" in LiveUpdate, and will not require a reboot for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 systems. It will require a reboot for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Please let me know if this resolves the problem for you. Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback on this issue.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

OMG!  GET RID OF THIS!!  Ctrl-Alt-P works to turn it off and it stays off for about 2 or 3 minutes then comes back.

The Norton peek help file on the web is wrong.  There is no Norton icon (other than the NIS icon) in my toolbar to right click on.

Inside of NIS, I have NO OPTIONS to get rid of this POS.

PLEASE, someone help me turn this OFF!

Windows 7 64, Norton Internet security version (who knows? since there's no version number anymore and all you can do is check to see if you have the latest version, but even on the web page, there is no version numbering).

BTW, a Norton user for 20?? years and have multiple subscriptions and my 2 biggest peeves?  #1 the NIS interface is AWFUL!

#2, NORTON PEEK.  Keeps popping up all over the place, even while I type this!

Kudos0

Tony_Weiss, thank you for the update and information.

I've successfully updated to the latest patch (which as you described didn't require a reboot) and it's removed the Peek feature.

Thank you for the quick turn around time on providing a workaround, it's much appreciated!

Kudos0

All: Ran live update on all my machines, can now confirm the patch release has indeed killed the peek feature on all. Thanks to @Tony_Weiss , the Symantec team and all who contributed to see this to its end.

Kudos0

Seems to have worked for me.  Thanks!  (I was going crazy with it).  Only noticed it today so I don't know when it hit me, but it was so annoying that it prompted the above rant.  Thanks for removing it!  R-

Kudos0

Thanks Tony. The patch resolved my problem on Window 10.

Jim

Kudos0

Tony_Weiss:

Thanks for your patience. Our engineering team has released a NORTON PEEK HOTFIX via LiveUpdate, which turns off Norton Peek entirely...

Hi Tony:

Thanks for the status update. I've re-booted my machine a few times since I received the bug fix on 13-Sep-2017 and can confirm that the Norton Peek widget has stopped appearing when I use the Ctrl+Alt+P hotkey.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.3.0 * NS Premium v22.10.1.10 * MB Premium v3.2.2

Kudos1 Stats

Please don't bring Norton peek back without a permanent disable feature. Absolute the worst feature forced upon your loyal users. It pops up all over and won't go away and may get stuck and causes programs to crash. Sincerely.