• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security 7.5 update breaks Mac OS 10.12.6

Norton pushed out Norton Security 7.5 tonight.  Unfortunately, it completely freezes Mac OS 10.12.6.  The update prompts a restart and afterwards, all internet activity is blocked by Norton - can't access email or load browsers.  Norton itself is caught in an endless updating process that never completes.  Guess what fixed it?  Uninstalling Norton! The only way to "fix" this problem is to uninstall Norton or restore to an earlier backup.   Afterwards, computer works fine.

Another A+ job by the Mac team at Symantec, pushing out an update that completely freezes the computer.  Well done!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 7.5 update breaks Mac OS 10.12.6

Hi @ddarko,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I've passed it on to the engineering team for investigation.
Also I've sent you a Private Message requesting logs, Please check it when you get a chance.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Mohan_G,

I can still send the logs tonight but after I uninstalled Norton Security, I re-installed it to see what would happen and it seems to be working now, Norton Security is no longer blocking internet access.  At this point, problem is solved, however, it is still frustrating that what is suppose to be an in-place update ends up borking the system.  This is the second or third time an update pushed to my computer has paralyzed it  - I think the last time was April earlier this year - and I think the fix the last time was also to un- and then re-install.  It almost seems like the notes accompanying these major point releases should be to uninstall first and then re-install.  Surely that's not what you want yet the in-place updates continue to be troublesome.  At some point, after uninstalling Norton Security for the umpteeth time, I am not going to re-install it.

Kudos0

Yep.  Does exactly the same on 10.13 too.  Another untested piece of c*** from Symantec.  Uninstalling and going elsewhere.

Kudos0

ddarko:

Hi Mohan_G,

I can still send the logs tonight but after I uninstalled Norton Security, I re-installed it to see what would happen and it seems to be working now, Norton Security is no longer blocking internet access.  At this point, problem is solved, however, it is still frustrating that what is suppose to be an in-place update ends up borking the system.  This is the second or third time an update pushed to my computer has paralyzed it  - I think the last time was April earlier this year - and I think the fix the last time was also to un- and then re-install.  It almost seems like the notes accompanying these major point releases should be to uninstall first and then re-install.  Surely that's not what you want yet the in-place updates continue to be troublesome.  At some point, after uninstalling Norton Security for the umpteeth time, I am not going to re-install it.

Hi @ddarko,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused 

I'm glad you got it sorted by reinstalling but please let us know if the issue occurs again.

Kudos0

Sorry for the inconvenience, @Geoff B

I've sent you a Private Message requesting logs, Please check it when you get a chance.