• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Database.sqlite3 in trash Mac

What is Database.sqlite3 Norton Internet Security for the Mac.

This file is in the trash bin and you can delete it but will be back within 30 mins.

The database files folders have names like Database 17-37-09-074 but always have two files in them database.sqlite3 and database.sqlite3.journal in them.

Nortons puts one of these databases in the trash every 30mins.

You can have heaps of them if you don't empty the trash.

If you uninstall Norton then this file goes.

Is this file dangerous or not.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Database.sqlite3 in trash Mac

Hi, 

My name is Jerry Lingserius currently living Sweden and I am having the same experience as you and I can confirm from a [Norton Virus Removable Support) both from phone and remote support session from early morning 27 May 2017 that this file is of no dangerous since I was able to send the created files where they could scan the files and confirm it and I shall also mention that Apple Support has appointed me in this direction also confirming that this is not related to macOS Sierra 10.12.5 but instead related to the security software installed on the Mac. 

But I agree that this issue is a problem that needs to be addressed because this is a new behaviour and I am a long time user of Norton Security for Mac and has not encounter any issues like this before and I can also confirm that this issue also happen on my wife computer as well and both are a iMac running the latest version of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 where every thing that is installed is up to date including [Norton Security 7.4].

As for references I am including this a zip.file so this issue can be solved once and for all within reasonable timeframes of course since this is currently related to the Norton Security version [7.4].

Many thank's in advance both for your time and support regarding my errand as such,

Sincerely // Jerry Lingserius

[Admin Edit: File attachment removed as per Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

I have formatted the computer put the version 10.12.5 on only and this problem does not happen.

I have tried another virus protector with only the version 10.12.5  on and had no problem at all.

Reformatted the computer and put version 10.12.5  on and then install Norton Internet Security and this problem happen again.

This problem is a Norton Internet Security problem as it also did it with version 10.12.4 of sierra.

Kudos0

What is norton going to do with this problem.

I can fix this just put another Security program on.

Fixes it straight away.

Kudos0

The update does nothing for this problem.

Kudos0

i agree with superarchiehome. this update fixed the redline issue in application blocking and stopped my office apps from hanging when closing. but these annoying files in the trash can are still appearing...

Kudos0

The people who programmed Norton Internet Security for the mac must know what theses files are.

Three mac computers in our house and all have the same problem.

Its not a apple problem as all computer work well if you take nortons off.

Kudos0

I was using another security program years ago before going to Norton and it was very good until they took the firewall out of the program.

It was hard to believe why they took it out.

Its like a messenger program that was good once and then they took out all the good things in it.

Hard to believe also.

One thing good about norton is they don't do this.

They have a firewall still in there program.

Other security programs have faults also and one is very slow at downloading updates where norton is very fast.

Kudos0

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting this.

We are investigating this and we'll get back to you when we have more information.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I have tried other security programs but i still think norton is better overall then other security programs.

I will put up with this problem because of this.

I want to thank norton's for looking into this problem.

Kudos0

Please update us as soon as you have a fix.  This is a problem that could result in users just removing Norton.  

Kudos0

Joining thread.  I too am experiencing the same issue.

Kudos0

New Mac Air replacing a 6 year old one and am too having the same issue since I loaded Norton on it.

Kudos0

is MOD contacting anyone else requesting remote access?

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem. When will Norton address this problem and our concerns?

Kudos0

If you put sierra back on and as soon as you click on Safari the files show up in trash bin right away.

I don't use Safari as my browser  i use firefox but the files do not show up if you click on firefox right away.

They show up about 30 mins later.

If you empty the trash and click on Safari again the files do not show up right away its only the first time you click it on when you put sierra back on but the files will show up again 30 mins later.

Kudos0

If you click on Safari without having nortons on then you have no problem.

Kudos0

Folks!! This is a Safari issue. Please have a look at this article.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1201041?tstart=0

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Creators Update version 1703 build 15063.608 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 Traditional
Kudos0

I have tried everything and nothing has worked when you have nortons on.

I have been trying for to long now to fix this.

I have nearly given up.

Only one thing left i can now.

Be good if norton told you whats is going on.

Kudos0

superarchiehome Did you follow the link and read the article in my previous post? This NOT a Norton issue..disable your RSS feeds in Safari whether you are using Safari or not. Post your results if you would be so kind.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Creators Update version 1703 build 15063.608 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 Traditional
Kudos0

The thread you mention is a 10 year old thread.  It mentions panes that dont exist...at least on my macbook.

Kudos0

I dont have any RSS feeds enabled and never have but yet I have the problem.

Kudos0

So, it is safe for me too say that the Mod has not contacted anyone else wanting remote access to their computer?  Has been 11 days since I posted this question.  well my Norton subscription is up in November, they dont seem to be able to fix the problem, will live with it until then and then uninstall it.

Kudos0

SoulAsylum if you read this forum thread you would know its a Norton problem.

Take Nortons off you have no problem.

Put Norton on you have a big problem.

Kudos0

superarchiehome Indeed I DO read all articles before posting. Dated or not the thread is still relevant. Have a look at this thread directly from SQLite. At no point am I trying to argue with anyone but rather find the answer to the question if you will. This issue is well documented having been around for years. Norton MAY be seeing something within the OS trying to escape its sandbox environment.

https://www.sqlite.org/famous.html

Nowhere is Norton mentioned as a program dependent on this database query subsystem. They DO say MAC OS uses it EXTENSIVELY within all their native apps. Here are some discussions on this issue with MAC. Dated as they are they are still not corrected.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207797

https://www.macissues.com/2015/03/17/safari-bug-saves-web-page-urls-in-private-mode/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1436903?start=0&tstart=0

https://www.fastcompany.com/3044018/safari-private-browsing-history-is-not-forgotten-after-all

Cheers

Kudos0

Thanks for trying to help and am not arguing with you but have had Norton on mac books since 2011, never had the problem until now (new mac book) using 10.12.6.  Uninstall Norton and problem goes away, comes back as soon as Norton is re-installed.  So it is a Norton issue.  I have checked your 'solutions' but I can not disable any RSS feeds when none are enabled, I have never used the private browsing in Safari, I dont even use safari, first time I opened it up was to check the RSS feeds.  I an not here to get an education on what sqlite is, I am here to find out how I can get norton to quit filling my trash with the folders, 30 or more per day.

Kudos0

I am in agreement with AQUADUDEKEN.. The article from 2008 doesn't apply to this issue in 2017.

Kudos0

Gents!! MAC OS is just as vulnerable an OS as any and does have its issues. Forgive me if you though I came here to lecture, that was not and is not the case. However, I have learned that a person with an open mind is far easier to assist than one who is the opposite. 2008 or 2017 this OS issue does still apply. @Mohan_G has stated the engineering team is investigating. He will have a definitive answer for you about this issue as soon as possible. Please keep in mind it will take time.

Cheers

Kudos0

Just adding another report on this issue. I am experiencing the same behavior on my iMac (2017) using 10.12.6 with a clean install of Norton Internet Security. Looking forward to a software update from Symantec to fix the issue. 

Kudos0

I have tried something and so far so good.

I will see how its goes first before getting excited.

We got 3 mac's here and when I tried  I another security program on one Mac and I looked at what files is there but not there with Nortons on.

I think Norton is stopping a certain file from being created on the computer and I have created this file first before putting Norton's back on and still no problems so far.

Kudos0

No problems yet.

the files are in PubSub folder and the file name is Clients.plist

Get rid of everything and put Sierra back on and click on safari.

Then close safari without doing anything.

The file Clients.plist is created with other files in the PubSub folder.

Then install Norton's.

If you don't do this before installing Norton then this file is not created.

Kudos0

Victory the problem is gone.

Its is a Norton problem of blocking theses files from being created.

Kudos0

I have told them how to fix it.

I hope you can fix your computer up now Soul  as it was a norton problem.

Kudos0

still having the problem here... has not been fixed... would love to see a fix from Symantec/Norton given to us end users.... any time would be good....

Kudos0

Ken the files never came back with the way i did it but it took a bit of time,

I don't know much about programming and i found the problem myself and it wasn't hard to find so norton should be able to fix this us to make it easy for people to install instead of having to go the long way around.

Kudos0

I am looking into SPYWARE.

Kudos0

why spyware?  i have wiped a spare Mac, just installed the OS, then installed Norton and right after the Norton install the files start to show up in the trash....  the system hasn't even been on the internet long enough to even been at risk for spyware in anyway... unless we want to say that Norton itself is spyware.... remove Norton and the files stop showing up...

Kudos0

Hello again. Have any of you disabled SIP before installing Norton software? BTW nice workaround superarchiehome. I don't have this problem with my systems and am attempting to assist those who do.

Cheers

Kudos0

superarchiehome This thread mentions .plist files you had mentioned earlier. This is regarding a Vsearch malware variant. Have a look at this thread:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v103225891_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

Kudos0

I am running a new security program now with no problems.

I fixed the problem with nortons and then when i used my backup it came back.

This new security program has had no problems unlike the many problems nortons have.

Just read this forum and you can see the problems nortons have.

I sent these files away to a expert and he told me to change my security program right away.

So i did.

Kudos0

Best of luck!!

Cheers

Kudos0

Kudos0

Any info on a fix for this?  It's been a few months since the admin commented and the problem is still there.

Kudos0

My Norton was just updated to version 7.5 from 7.4.1, I am hoping to see if this problem goes away now... too soon to tell, just rebooted now after the update...

UPDATE...... well, glad i didn't hold my breath.....  after about 30 minutes the files start to appear again...

Kudos0

I logged on to tell you it hasnt gone away but see you already discovered that.

Is Norton even working on this?

Kudos0

All: I flagged the thread for the Symantec team to get involved again.

Cheers

Kudos0

All: This issue has not shown up in the new release thread as of yet. You can monitor that here at your leisure - https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-security-75-mac-now-available

Kudos1 Stats

AQUADUDEKEN:

is MOD contacting anyone else requesting remote access?

Sorry for late confirmation on this. From @SoulAsylum 's escalation, we can see that an admin did reach out to you, and some other posters. It is legitimate and if you are able to help, please reply to the PM from the admin.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

This ANOYING problem has crept up on my brand new Mac mini running OS Sierra version 10.12.6.   Trash is filled with database files.

NORTON -- PLEASE SEND OUT A FIX!!!!

File Attachment: