• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Scanning android apk files with Norton Security for Windows 10

I have from time to time downloaded android apk files that I intended to side load on my android tablet. I have scanned the apk files with the Windows version of Norton Security and it seems to work. Norton Security reports the number of files scanned and provides a results summary. I occurs to me that the scan may not be valid since I am using the Windows version of Norton Security to check the files before I load them on my tablet.

The question then is, does the Windows version of Norton Security have the capability to successfully scan android apk files? Are the results meaningful?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Scanning android apk files with Norton Security for Windows 10

I would suggest your feeling is correct. Norton Security can only scan for Windows malware if you are scanning files on a Windows PC. 

You will have to rely on an Android malware scanner like Norton Mobile Security to scan APKs as they are brought into your Android devices.

You are wise to want to scan files that will be side loaded, as you are bypassing the protections built into the Google App Store. Any app not distributed through Google could have malicious code, and it is up to you to take the risk. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thank you for your insight. I have occasionally used www . apkmirror . com and have had no issues, yet. I have relied on Norton Mobile Security to scan the APKs, but I am a belt and suspenders kind of person when it comes to security and more is better.

Kudos0

Is there some reason you want to use that mirror site? All the apps I checked there were available on the Play Store. Using the mirror site takes away any protection offered by the Play store, plus you have to allow installation from unknown sources in your Android Security settings. Both reduce your protection. 

Sort of defeats your wish for belt and suspenders.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.