• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Disabling Intrusion attempt notifications

My Norton 360 product has suddenly insisted on notifying me of every intrusion attempt.  REALLY annoying.  I have gone into settings and turned off every notification option I could find.  Nothing works.  I changed nothing to start this problem.  I could really use some advice.

Labels: Auto-Protect

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Disabling Intrusion attempt notifications

Kudos0

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  What you suggested is something I have already turned off, but the notifications continue, even after my rebooting.  Hence my frustration!

Kudos0

Yank's solution should have worked.  Did you click "Apply" after setting the option?

Kudos0

Yes, I checked apply.  And yes, I realize it SHOULD have worked.  But it didn't.  I'm a very experienced user, having built my first Heathkit computer in 1975, then an Apple II, PC XT etc.  My frustration is that there appears to be something "deeper" going on that is causing my instructions to be ignored.  I'm stumped.

Kudos0

What is the attack you are being warned about?
Kudos0

PUAJScoinminer.  I just finished an extended "chat" with Support who exercised Remote Management on my system. I knew before we "spoke" that the underlying problem had nothing to do with Norton 360.  All I wanted (and still want) is a way to get Norton Auto-Protect to shut up about it.  It turns out, the only way to do that is to disable it, which is obviously not an option.  The offending file(s) are in user\owner\appdata\etc.etc.etc.  When I attempt to delete them, Windows won't allow it, saying they are open in Microsoft/C Reg Server, which I can't find anywhere either as a process or a file.  I will eventually figure out how to sort out this problem, but in the meantime I was just trying to find a way to turn off Auto-protect notifications, but that is not an option, apparently.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in.  It is appreciated.

Kudos0

Here is what Symantec has to say about PUAJScoinminer:

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2017-091515-5134-99

Hopefully that info will assist you.

Kudos0

John X Francis:

PUAJScoinminer.  I just finished an extended "chat" with Support who exercised Remote Management on my system. I knew before we "spoke" that the underlying problem had nothing to do with Norton 360.  All I wanted (and still want) is a way to get Norton Auto-Protect to shut up about it.  It turns out, the only way to do that is to disable it, which is obviously not an option.  The offending file(s) are in user\owner\appdata\etc.etc.etc....

Hi John X Francis:

I don't know if this is related, but franx recently reported a JSCoinminer Download 6 detection by Norton's real-time Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) at Fluege.de Not Useable Due to Norton-Blocking, and the security write-up for Web Attack: JSCoinminer Download 6 states "This signature detects suspicious activities associated with PUA.JScoinminer".  No one has responded in franx's thread so I don't know if Symantec recent tweaked their IPS definitions to do a better job of detecting Bitcoin miners or if this could be a false positive detection.

Is there a specific website (or websites) you are visiting or some action you are performing on your computer that triggers this PUA.JScoinminer detection?  You might find some useful details in your security history at Security | History | Show | Intrusion Prevention or one of the other sections in your security history listed under Protection and Performance.

If a Norton Full System Scan doesn't detect any suspicious files on your system you might want to run a second-opinion scan for malware/spyware with the free Malwarebytes (see instructions <here>) to see if it finds any PUPs (potentially unwanted programs, which Norton calls PUAs or potentially unwanted applications) or PUMs (potentially unwanted modifications of the registry).
---------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.2 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1

Kudos2 Stats

Auto-Protect and Intrusion Protection are two entirely different things.  Disabling alerts for Intrusion Protection will not stop Auto-Protect from notifying you about detections.  You can exclude PUAJScoinminer from detections by following the instructions here (it may take several minutes for the Security Risks List to load, so be patient):

Norton detects a file or program as a threat even after you exclude it from scan

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.