• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Core keeps dropping connections

Every since I installed the Norton Core devices are dropping internet connections intermittently.  I have factory reset and reinstalled the unit several times.   I have rebooted every device several times.  Yesterday, I put my ASUS Router back and not a single drop connection.   How do I get this issue resolved?

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Core keeps dropping connections

It just dropped again, twice today. This is getting nuts. I submitted the logs again. I'm going to probably find the RMA link and do the same thing. Just go back to a Netgear. Plenty of decent ones that will last me quite a while. My last Nighthawk 7000 last me years without issue until I burned out the radios streaming. Let me know if you find that link.

Kudos0

Kudos1 Stats

This happened to me multiple times yesterday.

Kudos1 Stats

I'm trying to give them the shadow of doubt, but I may just go back to a high-end Netgear. For everyone looking for the RMA link, here it is.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-core-security/current/solutio...

Kudos0

Hey thanks! I found this on my own too before seeing your response.

Kudos0

Now that v207 has been pushed out I also am loosing my internet connection. Much like during v193.It was stable for many weeks, then just recently started failing again. Most over the past 48 hours it has disconnected at least three times. The only is to power down / reboot.

Kudos1 Stats

Well for the third time I have went back to my ASUS router.  I keep hoping the next version of the firmware will fix the reliability & stability issues of this router but no such luck.   In the past, I have always consider Norton/Symantec to be a good company with reliable products , but the fact they release a product that is so critical to managing both work and home life that has these kind of issues says a lot about what type of company they are becoming.   They either need to put the proper resources and funding to get these issues resolved ASAP or admit that they have an unreliable & unstable product and refund anyone that wants to turn it in regardless of when they bought it.  I have had numerous routers over the year , some cheap, some expensive, some with limited features/functions but NEVER one this unreliable & unstable.   If you call support they will asked you send the log files for the 100+ time but nothing ever get done to resolve the issues.   Frankly, I don't think Symantec is really committed to being in the router business or they would take solving these issues more seriously.  I can't imagine Linksys, D-link, ASUS , Netgear or even Trendnet delivering a product that is so unreliable and unstable to the market place.

Kudos1 Stats

v193 was stable for weeks. v202 and v207 are dropping my internet connection like versions prior to v193. This is again happening multiple times per day. I, too, am about to consider an RMA.

Kudos0

Three unscheduled restarts in the last 12 hours.  As usual, I am sending in a shake the phone log.  I have seen no evidence that anybody looks at these logs.  Also considering RMA.  My previous routers went months without unscheduled restarts.  3-4 hours is typical for the Core these days.  Completely ruins VOIP and Netflix.

Kudos1 Stats

@Mack McDowell:  Well said Mack.  I do think Symantec/Norton rushed this to market.  Even their hardware is behind other 2016/2017 routers (Core only running 2 channels).  My hope is, in a year or so Norton will update from their current Hardware Version 1.0 to newer hardware and that also in a year or so their firmware fix software bugs thus improving performance and speed.  Time will tell.

For those thinking of a return, the process works, but takes a lot of steps.  I filled out the form, faxed it in, and about 3 business days later I had an email from a guy confirming I wanted to return it and that I had all the original packing.  I confirmed and about 3 or 4 business days after that, I had another email with a link to download the shipping label along with return instructions.  I sent the core back and in about two weeks after that I saw the dollar credit on my charge card.

Kudos1 Stats

ChrisInManitou:

v193 was stable for weeks. v202 and v207 are dropping my internet connection like versions prior to v193. This is again happening multiple times per day. I, too, am about to consider an RMA.

Something in this latest firmware has started giving my Core the dropsies.  4 times over the past 48 hours it has dropped internet and required a manual power cycle.  It was great for me up until recent.

Kudos0

Does anyone from Norton read these?

Does anyone at Norton understand how unreliable their Core is?

I love the concept of an integrated firewall/security in the Core, but this is ridiculous 

Kudos1 Stats

I'm not sure. I had to open a ticket manually. After 48 hours I have received no response, so I took it out on an ad on Facebook, which then got a response from the moderator so I gave case # and version. Last I heard someone from engineering should reach out. Silence. I just picked up a Google WiFi router on sale and plan to RMA the Core at this point. Granted the Google product is slower on the WiFi, but that's solved by pulling off my heavy hitters like the Xbox One S and my PC from wireless to wired, which will be possible in our new rental where CAT 5E is actually run to rooms. Really what I liked about the Core was really knowing what the heck was on my network at any given time along with priority assignment, but with Google it appears that is a standard feature as well. And that it's modular and supported by a titan like Google I anticipate will mean more stability and better upgrades. Bye Norton...

Kudos0

If only someone at Norton cared that they were selling something so frustrating

Kudos0

@AM Jayne:  Just for info, almost all (I'd say an easy 90%) of all routers have built-in firewalls.  And all of the big name ones do.  Most are also much more configurable than the Core.

Kudos0

Hi,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. We are actively looking into this disconnection issue. Once we have a fix ready, we will update this thread. I have sent some of you a private message requesting additional information and logs. Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? And if you haven't received a private message and are willing to help, please let me know. Your help in investigating this issue is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Gayathri:

Version 193 was stable for weeks on end. 202 and 207 act much like the versions prior to 193. This issue is extremely annoying. If not permanently solved soon, there will many RMA requests, myself included.

Kudos0

version 207 is no better, still dropping once a day or every other day.  I too am getting very disappointed.  Am getting ready to ask for an RMA to return it.  Three months is long enough to fix this problem.  

Kudos0

I have the same problem.  I have restarted, reset, changed network name and password, changed DNS, sent multiple sets of logs, updated firmware more times than I care to remember, etc....  I did find one issue with my son's computer that I had hoped would solve the problem, but the latest firmware seemed to make it worse again.  I have yet to determine a cause.  This is month three or four with the same problems.  This product has great features, but wasn't ready for release.

Kudos0

same problem here - regularly disconnects.  I have version 207 - very frustrating.  

Kudos0

As of 4:00AM MST on Dec 2nd, I now have version 213. It has NOT solved the dropping internet issue. My internet connection was again dead this morning, Dec 3rd. Yes, very frustrating.

Kudos0

Hi @ChrisInManitou,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information. Could you please check your inbox when you get a chance? Thanks. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I am having fewer dropping problems but the still persist.  I need to pull the plug on the core to get it to reconnect.  

Kudos0

Well, unfortunately Norton/Symantec Support seems to be uninterested in how much pain and negative impact their unstable and unreliable router is causing their customers.   I called Norton Support to get and RMA number but they said since I purchased the product over 30 days ago I couldn't return it.   

I'm informed Norton Support that I have been trying to work out the problem with them since 8/30/2017 with the hopes the issue could be resolved.   However, I could not afford to continue using their product due to negative impact to both home and work life.  Norton Support indicated there is nothing they can do unless I put the product back on the Network and gave their support engineers a chance to see if I had a defective device so they could send a replacement.  I then informed Norton Support that I had already switched between my old router and the Core three times and I can't afford the outages by repeating that process again. 

I asked that the support person put their supervisor on the line which they did.  The supervisor said they would review the case with others and get back to me in 2-3 days and that was over a week ago and NO Emails or Phone call from them.   The things that bothers me to the most is that company that I have used for over a decade and has a fairly good reputation is OKAY with pain & suffering that their unreliable and unstable router is causing some of us.   It appears that customer satisfaction has become a thing of the past with Symantec. 

Finally, it is not the fact that the product is performing poorly that concerns me because stuff happens; it is how Symantec is handling it that is the real issue.   Unfortunately, it is time me to quit whining and go find a router and security products that meet my business and personal needs in a quality manner.  I can chalk the lost of 200.00 up to a learning experience regarding sticking with vendors who core competencies are related to building & selling network products. 

Kudos0

Mack, have you noticed any improvement with firmware 213?  I have been dealing with this problem for about the same amount of time you have, but my experience has been different.  Perhaps because I refuse to give permission to close my case, somebody from Core tech support calls me pretty much every week.  My Core does seem to be doing a bit better on the most recent firmware, and I expect to see another firmware update within the next week, so I haven't thrown in the towel quite yet.  The issue isn't fixed, it just occurs less frequently so I have left my case open. 

I have wondered whether the inspection mechanism is causing some of the problems.  Perhaps it strains the hardware too much.  I noticed that the Norton Core blocks many sites that Norton SafeWeb and Norton SafeSearch give a stamp of approval.  It turns out the Core is using the Blue Coat algorithm, not the same thing as the other products.  Note, I believe Symantec acquired Blue Coat last year so now they would need to make it generate a return.  I have yet to turn off the network inspection, but I am interested whether anyone else has tried that.  Sort of defeats the purpose of the Core, I know.

Maybe I will give them until Christmas, then gift myself a new router if they haven't solved the problem. Ho Ho Ho.

Kudos0

Version 213 just dropped my internet connection again today at 14:02 MST. It was stable for about 5 days. I repeat: version 193 was stable for many weeks. Now it is “broken” again, though perhaps not quite as badly. I agree with the comments above: having the users debug this problem given how critical the internet has become to both home and home-office functions is simply unacceptable.

Kudos0

Emace, unfortunately firmware 213 seem to make the problem worse which is why I decided to throw in the towel so to speak.  Time is priceless and we can make better use of it then chasing bugs/flaws in a vendors product when so many alternatives are available.

Kudos0

I think we all are very disappointed in Norton's handling of Core. Updates and NO explanations.  When Apple used to send out updates with no explanations, users started to howl.  Things changed.

While I can appreciate new firmware updates, I am beginning to think the problem is hardware.  Why why why can't CORE simply reboot itself when it drops internet.  This manual restart is ridiculous.

I love the concept of CORE!!!  I DETEST the vast silence of Norton and its engineers for not explaining the challenge.  It's almost FOUR months since this situation started.  I would stick with it if I heard more.  But silence is TERRIBLE customer service.  I've heard from two of my colleagues that have Core routers and both dumped the product and are starting a social media campaign.

Norton: it is time you listened and responded.  The last time this customer service debacle happened was when you people tried to double talk and bilk customer subscriptions for anti-virus.  I stopped using Norton then.  Vowed never to use Norton software again.  I thought possibly you came up with something better.  HELLO.  Nothing appears to have changed.  

WHERE'S THE BEEF?  $200 DOWN THE DRAIN.

Kudos0

Mack, jayarr, I agree completely.  I hope nobody read my last post as an acceptance of the current situation.  I was just less irate about the whole thing than usual.  I'm just happy, so to speak, to hear that others have had the same frustration.  Until I found this forum, I was being led to believe that "most" users had solved the dropped connections with DNS changes and firmware updates.  Now I know that not to be true.  I like some of the features and protections of the Core but I hate how much time I waste trying to troubleshoot it for Norton.  That should be done BEFORE you roll out the product. 

Kudos0

I see I am not alone in this.  I have had my core for about a week.  My kids have reported drops every other night. Thankfully I do not work from home any longer but my wife DOES...

I called the help line and git straight "read the script" support.  Quite disappointing.  A lot of double speak.  I was even told the people who have experienced this issue have all had "slower internet connections, not high speed."

I asked about a verbose debug log I could look at.  They have "no such thing" ???  I have been a network engineer for 19 years.  I know BS when I hear it.

Listen up, Norton...  Product is a GOOD IDEA.  That's why I bought it.  Iron out this issue, please. Otherwise I am returning it for a refund.  

Kudos0

My core has yet again dropped the internet connection - 23:00 MST on Dec 10th. So it stayed up for perhaps 48 hours. I, too, am a software engineer. Norton's performance of fixing this issue by using the general public as testers is very unprofessional. I do hope this is resolved soon. I'm losing confidence.

Kudos0

Mack McDowell:

I called Norton Support to get and RMA number but they said since I purchased the product over 30 days ago I couldn't return it.   

So am I to take from this that someone like me who pre-ordered the Core is going to be ineligible for a RMA if they can't fix this soon?  I had honestly been loving the Core until v207 came out and flat out broke it.  It was fine for me (occasional hiccup here & there but nothing catastrophic, bugs were fixed by the support team, etc) until that (207) happened. I was going to say just roll it back, and then do your troubleshooting & testing on the back end in a controlled environment not out in the field, but it seems like others had this issue before v207? It's ridiculous in this day & age to expect anyone with smart homes to deal with this for this long, and not even be able to reboot the Core w/out a physical power cycle. My ISP has a 99.99% up history for a reason. I picked up a competitive router w/mesh capability via Cyber Monday and have not had a single internet drop since. So.......

While I certainly don't mind supporting a company like Norton w/software bugs, a router is different. While I support the new endeavor (thus the pre-order), being a volunteer beta tester with something as critical as a router running your entire network/home is not going to happen.  So for now, the Core is offline, my network is running flawlessly w/its replacement, and I wait and watch. Thing needs to just work.  Or RMAs need to be accepted, for now, in order to save your future accounts and subscriptions (which, by the way, very impressed with new Norton software).

Kudos0

I have been experiencing disconnects from day 1 of my Core usage. My providers is FIOS and after 2 months of random reboots, I have now completely removed the Quantum Gateway from my network to avoid the entire "bridge" configuration and use the Core directly connected via Ethernet to my ONT. After 5 days in this configuration, I am still averaging 2 disconnects a day. If Netgear, Linksys or Cisco put out a router with this level of malfunctions, they would be roasted on every reputable tech website out there.

Kudos0

Same lousy experience with customer service and their outright refusal to RMA this router. I’m tired of this and simply want a working product. I honestly want answers soon, as it’s aggravating me enough that I’m tempted to just cancel my Norton product renewal too. Ridiculous and pathetic.
Kudos0

Hi,

I'm sorry about the inconvenience caused. We are actively working on a fix. In the meantime, if you'd like to help us in investigating this issue, please send us logs, and send me a private message with your Norton Core Serial number. Thank you. 

-Gayathri

Kudos0

This morning I received an email from Norton's marketing praising the Core and that Norton has listened to it's customers and rolling out new features for Core.  Well that set me off big time.  Obviously Customer Service is not talking to Marketing and our concerns and complaints are not being heard by Corporate.  

It's time to complain loudly to Norton Corporate and on Norton's social media.   Norton Customer communication is wholly inadequate.  Am sending the following to Norton's press, investor relations, Norton Facebook and Messenger.  

Norton Press Relations:

I am writing to alert you to some potentially very negative press and social media commentary about the Norton Core product and how Norton is mis-handling a serious public relations issue. 

A very large number of users are experiencing numerous "dropped internet connections" while using the Core.  

The complaints on the Norton Core Forum are not isolated nor insignificant, and have been piling up since early September with many people reporting no significant solutions.  

Many of the users, including me, are expressing extreme frustration with Norton’s handling by not adequately communicating with its customers about what’s being done to fix the issue.  Engineers are collecting feedback but there has been no official communication with customers other than firmware updates and no other explanations.  

Users who have stood by waiting for improvements to the product are now trying to return their Core product, only to be told their return periods are expired.  

Norton Customer Service is not adequately handling the situation.

Complaints are becoming louder and likely to reach an organized level of social media and to tech news.  

I suggest Norton issue a statement to users about what’s being done to fix the issue and restore customer confidence that the issue will be resolved, soon.

Kudos0

My core again dropped the internet connection today at about 12:00PM MST. It was up yet again for only about 48 hours.

Kudos0

Jayarr, I received that email as well. While the message was obviously self-promoting, and they managed to find a positive quote from another thread in the forums, the star rating at the bottom was my, “favorite” part. Why would clicking the left give five stars and the right give one star? Are they expecting lots of attempted single-star ratings?
Kudos0

All: Take the time to read this post and apply the settings: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7747521#comment-7747521

Please let us know whether things changed.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) AO1 (AW) Aviation Warfare Specialist "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.379 / NCSP 22.17.0.183 / Norton Core v.270 on Android 1.93
Kudos0

OK.  Big piece of information here.. if it is correct.  I just got off the phone with support.  In the Home.. (alarm bell icon) activity feed....  I discovered that each time one of the nodes on my network encountered a malicious site (com-walmart.com, playgendary.com, juicyads.com, etc...), it REBOOTS THE CORE!!!  I was told it's designed that way.  Odd it would not just quarantine the node with the issue.  I was working on my laptop late at night on a critical issue and it rebooted because my son was on Mine Craft and got a redirect?  Really, Norton?  The ENTIRE network goes offline?  All 18 nodes went off line.  Understanding the need for security is one thing.  I have to decide if that's just overkill.  I believe it is.

Check your notifications and see if the reboots correspond to the malicious activity.

Kudos0

Weird!! The only issue I have is with a Pyle IP camera. When its connected Ethernet to my ISP router I get notifications Core blocks malnet connections to 3322 dot org. Core will NOT allow it to even connect to the Core network wired or wireless no matter what. Its by design. I no longer have it on my network and have trashed it due to it transmitting info to Chinese servers. That being said I have never had that device being blocked cause my entire network to disconnect. Obie have you checked your "category" settings under people for restrictions? All my devices are under People as one entity named "Shared". Devices are named so we can identify each device without having to assign a device to a specific person as we do not have children in the home. Just a thought.

Another thought is I changed IPv4 to automatically acquire DNS addresses and turned off IPv6 on my ISP device when I initially setup Core, disabled its wifi and removed ALL connections seen except those that are my TV and VOIP still being routed since its required.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) AO1 (AW) Aviation Warfare Specialist "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.379 / NCSP 22.17.0.183 / Norton Core v.270 on Android 1.93
Kudos0

I have, reluctantly, decided to return my Core.  I spoke to support a few time in the past few days.  The support folks first told me that the Core reloads upon seeing malicious activity affecting ALL users and nodes. This is BY DESIGN.  Today, I was told that is not the case.  It should only quarantine the node.

I sincerely hope Norton gets its act together on this one and learns a lesson.  The idea of the core IS a sound one.  Customer support is poorly trained. The product is either faulty OR not designed well (depending on who was correct from support.)

I am still very interested if it ever improves.

Kudos0

All: The latest firmware released was version 223 addressing a "memory corruption" issue where it would cause the Core to restart. Can anyone validate their dropping issues have been corrected? Thanks in advance. Here are the release notes: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7752251#comment-7752251

Cheers

Kudos0

Did we all just graduate from temporary dropped connections to one giant outage?
Kudos0

EMace, I sure did! Ended up putting my old router back in. Nothing would bring the Core back to life.

Kudos0

My core firmware was updated to 223 on Dec 19th and it has remained fully functional since then. No loss of internet so far. But it's only been a little over 48 hours.

Kudos0

I finally just gave up. After all the random network drops, terrible performance issues and abyssmal customer service, I bought a Netgear Nighthawk X4S. Works fine without any of the annoying, months-long, unresolved quirks of the Core. The whole thing, including the refusal to accept returns, is a farce.
Kudos0

Chris, mine had been better with the new firmware until today's unrelated disaster.

Kudos0

Understood, EMace. I don't hold out much hope for yet another firmware upgrade. But at least my Core has not completely crashed and burned, as I take yours has. One more dropped internet connection and I'm out-a-here.

Kudos0

Hi folks, The “unable to connect to cloud” error should be resolved for you now. If you're still seeing this error with your Norton Core, I recommend that you try this potential workaround:

1. Reboot your cable modem
  2. Then reboot your Core

Please let me know if this resolves the issue for you. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.