Kudos3 Stats

Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement

Today we have released the beta of our next-generation product, Malwarebytes 3.0! This product is built to provide comprehensive protection against today’s threat landscape so that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus.

Our engineers have spent the last year building this product from the ground up and have combined our Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies all into a single product which we simply call “Malwarebytes.” And it scans your computer 3-4 times faster!

When we launch Malwarebytes 3.0, we are confident that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus, thanks to our innovative and layered approach to preventing malware infections using a healthy combination of proactive and signature-less technologies. While signatures are still effective against threats like potentially unwanted programs, the majority of our malware detection events already come from our signature-less technologies like our Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware; that trend will only continue to grow. For many of you, this is something you already know, since over 50% of our customers already run Malwarebytes as their sole security software, without any third-party antivirus. But rest assured, we will continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.

With the combination of our Anti-Malware ($24.95), Anti-Exploit ($24.95) and Anti-Ransomware (free, beta) technologies, we will be selling Malwarebytes 3.0 at $39.99 per computer per year, 20% less than our previous products combined and 33% less than an average traditional antivirus. As we did with our change from perpetual to subscription, we will grandfather in existing customers at their current price. We are still working out the details, but I assure you we will take care of all existing customers. As always, we will be keeping malware remediation absolutely free.

If you have any questions, please read the short FAQ below first and then ask away in this forum! Remember, this is beta software and should be used with caution.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/190369-announcing-beta-of-malwarebytes-30-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/ 

Windows 10 x64 21H2 | Mint Cinnamon 20.2 | Solus Plasma 4.3 | Kubuntu 20.04 LTS

Replies

Kudos3 Stats

Re: Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement

New Component Package Available: v. 1.0.262 (and they actually posted a change log! )

Here's the list of items addressed:

• Fixed issue where “Updates not current” notification would display when PC wakes from sleep
  • Fixed a compatibility issue between exploit protection and Office applications
  • Fixed issue where Web Protection could fail to start in 3.3.1
  • Fixed issue where mbamtray app would show in Alt+Tab list with Windows Classic theme
  • Fixed issue where killing mbam or mbamtray from Task Manager would cause CPU to spike
  • Numerous improvements for Chrome remediation and synching
  • Added new Quick Tour for Premiums users
  • Lots of other miscellaneous defect fixes

You can also grab this latest component package manually by clicking Install Application Updates in Settings > Application if you are running Malwarebytes 3.3.1.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CU v1.0.262)

Kudos0

Re: Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement

Mysteriously to me, something has happened with the junk email in my Outlook.com account that has turned a daily inflow traffic of about 20 to 30 or more spam and fishing messages to 0... Zippo. Well, actually, I did receive one single message in the junk mail folder in these last 8 to 10 days and I keep my fingers crossed for the current status to remain as such, whatever it may have been triggered by.

I am bringing this issue here because, in my mind, I cannot help it but think that it might be somehow related to this last Malwarebytes updates. I may be wrong, of course, but one thing is for sure: It has to have been triggered by something. So my question is, has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone know or suspect that this is more likely to be due to something else?

Whatever happened, I would love to believe that this bonanza is bound to last and not just a lull in the activity of a bunch of professional spammers, perhaps enjoying already the fruits of their past catches in kind of an early Christmas sunny recess...  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2:

Mysteriously to me, something has happened with the junk email in my Outlook.com account that has turned a daily inflow traffic of about 20 to 30 or more spam and fishing messages to 0....I am bringing this issue here because, in my mind, I cannot help it but think that it might be somehow related to this last Malwarebytes updates... 

Hi LinYu2:

Unlike Norton, I don't think MB Premium has any kind of anti-spam or e-mail scanning features, although it would probably protect you if you opened a malicious e-mail attachment that was missed by Norton and it tried to execute malware on your system.

If the number of spam messages from your Outlook e-mail account has gone down dramatically in recent days then my best guess it that Microsoft got enough complaints about the sender(s) that they tweaked the anti-spam filters on their back end mail servers.  I only get about one or two spam / phishing e-mails a week that get past their filters, and when I do I always log into Outlook.com and report them to Microsoft.  At some point Microsoft will receive enough complaints that they adjust their spam filters to automatically block the sender's e-mail address and/or domain name so that the spam never reaches your Inbox.

Try submitting your e-mail address(es) to the Have I Been Pwned? site at https://haveibeenpwned.com/.  When I enter the "junk" Outlook e-mail address I normally use for registering in public forums I can see that this e-mail address was stolen in at least four separate data breaches, including past hacks of user accounts on the Adobe and Malwarebytes forums - see my screenshot <here>.  If you're receiving a large number of spam e-mails it might be worth creating an alias e-mail address in your Microsoft account (e.g. myfakeusername@outlook.com - see Manage Aliases on Your Microsoft Account) that you can use in the future for registering in user forums or signing up for freebies that you can discard (i.e., delete from your Microsoft account) if it's ever stolen.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CU v1.0.262)

Kudos0

Yeah... 1.4 billion, and mine was one of them! And isn't it sadly ironic that it had to be a humongous spammer to let go of the stolen information!?!... Thinking about it, the date indicated seems to make sense, as the "avalanche" started around that same time...

Many thanks, Imacri, for the many hints provided.

Edited to ask one question: How do I go about to report junk messages to Microsoft?

Kudos2 Stats

LinYu2:

...How do I go about to report junk messages to Microsoft?

Hi LinYu2:

Log in to the Outlook.com web mail site from your browser, select the message in your Inbox and click the Junk menu item to see your options.  Choose Phishing Scam if the message tries to get you to enter information like account logins and passwords since blocking these messages is a higher priority for Microsoft.  Nuisance spam that you flag as Junk will be moved to your junk folder, but if you click the Settings gear near your sign in name and go to Options | Junk Email | Filters and Report | Share Reports, the first option to share information with Microsoft and automatically block spammers should be selected by default.  The MS TechNet tutorial at Report Junk Email and Phishing Scams in Outlook on the Web has more information.

Yeah... 1.4 billion, and mine was one of them!

The 11-Dec-2017 SecurityWeek article Database of 1.4 Billion Credentials Found on Dark Web has some interesting info about that "master list" of stolen credentials.  Kudos to bjm_ for posting the link <here> in his Security News thread.

...and apologies to Krusty13 for going off topic.
------------

Kudos0

...and apologies to Krusty13 for going off topic.

Certainly. But it was for a good cause, so I'm sure Krusty13 will understand and forgive us...

Just one last word to finish: Awesome!

Thanks.

Kudos0

LinYu2:
Certainly. But it was for a good cause, so I'm sure Krusty13 will understand and forgive us...

Yeah, you're forgiven... this time.  

Kudos0

I'm not sure what specific update triggered the problem, but if you have MB Premium v3.3.1 installed and Web Protection is enabled you might want to monitor CEO Marcin Kleczynski's thread IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage Issue that was posted this morning in the Malwarebytes 3 board.

EDIT:

Additional details were just posted by Marcin in the Malwarebytes News board <here>.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CU v1.0.262)

Kudos0

@Imacri  re Permalink

It may sound a silly question but where does one go in MWB (Free) to get the

Update package version 1.0.3803 or higher contains the fix

specific?

I can see mine is 3.3.1 but I can't see any active link eg Help / About that would take me to that information!

I did run Check for Updates and it did download some so I hope that is it but strange not to find a link in any of the usual places!

Hugh
Kudos0

This is what I got in my MB (free) Settings > About:

I did not notice any abnormal or strange behavior on any of my three machines. Am I up-to-date or are there any newer versions that I should be looking for?

I humbly confess that I haven't the foggiest idea what the heck those lines "Component package version" and "Update package version" really mean... 

Kudos0

Thanks -- I looked again and see that I had missed those invisible TABs across the top of the display.

I do have the stated update.

It's a while since I ran MWB since I've not had a reason to be concerned.

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2:

This is what I got in my MB (free) Settings > About:

Hi LinYu2:

It appears this bug only affected MB v3.x Premium users if their real-time Web Protection module was enabled.  You wouldn't have been affected if you were using MB v3.x Free unless you were using the 14-day Trial version that temporarily enables the Premium (real-time protection) features.

According to Marcin's updated post <here> "Update package version 1.0.3803 (Malwarebytes 3) or v2018.01.27.12 (Malwarebytes 2.x) or higher contains the fix".  Your image shows you still have update package v1.0.3789 so if you open the Malwarebytes Dashboard and click the Check for Updates icon under Scan Status (or click the blue link next to Updates) again I assume you will download a newer update package version (a.k.a. the latest malware definition set).  I just ran a Check for Updates and the updater downloaded v1.0.3808.

In MB v3.x the three version numbers at Settings | About are:

• the Malwarebytes version (i.e, the main scan engine, currently v3.3.1.x)
  • the Component package version (i.e., a bundle of real-time protection modules including Web, Exploit and Ransomware Protection, currently v1.0.262).  That way if there's a bug in the Exploit Protection module, for example, they can push out a revised component package version for Premium (and Trial) users without changing the version of the main scan engine.  I'm not certain, but I think the Self-Protection module for MB v3.x Free is also part of the component package.
  • The Update package version (i.e., the malware definition set, currently v1.0.3808 as of 28-Jan-2018 @ 4:40 PM CST on my computer).

In the old MBAM v2.x the update package version was simply called the "malware database version" and the numbering scheme indicated the date the new definition set was released (e.g., v2017.03.22.4 was the fourth definition set released on 22-Mar-2017).  I think it's stupid that Malwarebytes v3.x now uses the term "update package version" and a meaningless numbering scheme - having update package v1.0.3789, for example, doesn't tell you anything about the date your malware definition set was released.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.262

Kudos2 Stats

Here's some interesting reading about the recent update bug.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/WebProtectionFP.pdf

Kudos0

Imacri:

Your image shows you still have update package v1.0.3789 so if you open the Malwarebytes Dashboard and click the Check for Updates icon under Scan Status (or click the blue link next to Updates) again I assume you will download a newer update package version (a.k.a. the latest malware definition set).  I just ran a Check for Updates and the updater downloaded v1.0.3808.

First, let me thank you for the detailed information provided about those cryptic descriptions I had some trouble understanding. I now have a better idea about their meaning and I agree that they were much more informative under the old format.

About the updates, after running the Check for Updates icon I now have the update package v1.0.3810. It seems I'm all set...

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Kudos0

Krusty13:

Here's some interesting reading about the recent update bug.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pdf/WebProtectionFP.pdf

Very interesting, indeed. Even though it didn't apply to me, I couldn't help but think how nice it would be if this open and prompt information to their users was emulated by others...   

Thanks, Krusty13, for sharing making it available to all of us.

Cheers!

Kudos1 Stats

Hi there—

We just posted the beta for our upcoming Malwarebytes 3.4 release to the Malwarebytes 3 Beta channel.  If you are opted in to this channel in Settings > Application then you should see a notification that a new version is available.  If you’d like to try it out, simply install the upgrade as you normally would.

You may also download the 3.4 Beta directly from this link and then install (or over-install, if you have an earlier version) to test it out.

We are particularly interested in your feedback around Web Protection and associated exclusions for Web Protection, but of course, we're happy for any comments and feedback you have!

Here’s the list of changes / improvements:

Performance/protective capability
•   Improved Web Protection for better targeting of specific URLs
•   Improved remediation for shortcuts and tasks
•   Added better handling for heavily infected systems to streamline detection & remediation
•   Continued improvements to overall protection, detection and remediation 

Usability
•   Added Notification Center for easy access to most recent real-time block notifications
•   Added category to website blocked notification to show the reason why site was blocked
•   Improved report design for better usability
•   Added device name to My Account screen in preparation to sync with My Account portal
•   Updated the API used to interact with Windows Action/Security Center
•   Changed the 'Recover if missed by' setting for Scheduled Scans to be enabled by default for new scans 
•   Numerous other user interface and copy improvements  

Stability/issues fixed
•   Fixed issue where files did not save properly with anti-ransomware enabled
•   Fixed issue where notifications could stack so you might see multiple versions of same message
•   Fixed issue where Beta opt in setting would not honor Restore Defaults
•   Updated the 7-Zip library to the latest version, v.18.01
•   Improved upgrade process from earlier versions of Malwarebytes
•   Continued improvements to driver operation and management 
•   Fixed several crashes, including a blue screen related to Web Protection
•   Addressed other miscellaneous defects

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Please start a new topic in this forum with your feedback.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/222165-malwarebytes-34-beta/ 

Kudos1 Stats

Malwarebytes 3.4 Beta 2 - NEW

2/23 Update:  Malwarebytes 3.4.2 was released today as our Beta 2. The primary change in Beta 2 is that the BSODs related to Web Protection have been addressed and should be fixed. Please help us confirm this!

Kudos1 Stats

Malwarebytes 3.4 Beta 3 - NEW

3/2 Update:  Malwarebytes 3.4.3 was released today as our Beta 3. We believe the Web Protection- related BSODs have finally been resolved. Please help us confirm this!   (NOTE:  There are known issues with web notifications on Windows XP so this beta is not recommended on XP.)

Kudos3 Stats

Hello

I just received the new Free Version of Malwarebytes

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004 N 360 22.20.5.39 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Thanks Flo.  I hadn't seen that it was out of beta yet.

Kudos2 Stats

Malwarebytes 3.4 - now available

Hello!

We just released a new upgrade for Malwarebytes for Windows--Malwarebytes 3.4.4.

Initially this version will only be available via in-app upgrades. If you don't want to wait to be notified by the program that your upgrade is available you can always grab the upgrade manually by clicking Install Application Updates in Settings > Application (if you're running MB 3.2 or later).  The updated installer will be also available for download from main Malwarebytes website starting March 6th or 7th.

Here’s the list of changes / improvements in 3.4:

•   Improved remediation for shortcuts and tasks
•   Added better handling for heavily infected systems to streamline detection & remediation
•   Continued improvements to overall protection, detection and remediation 

Usability
•   Added Notification Center for easy access to most recent real-time block notifications
•   Added category to website blocked notification to show the reason why site was blocked
•   Improved report design for better usability
•   Added device name to My Account screen in preparation to sync with My Account portal
•   Updated the API used to interact with Windows Action/Security Center
•   Changed the 'Recover if missed by' setting for Scheduled Scans to be enabled by default for new scans 
•   Numerous other user interface and copy improvements  

Stability/issues fixed
•   Fixed issue where files did not save properly with anti-ransomware enabled
•   Fixed issue where notifications could stack so you might see multiple versions of same message
•   Fixed issue where Beta opt in setting would not honor Restore Defaults
•   Updated the 7-Zip library to the latest version, v.18.01
•   Improved upgrade process from earlier versions of Malwarebytes
•   Continued improvements to driver operation and management 
•   Fixed several crashes, including a blue screen related to Web Protection
•   Addressed other miscellaneous defects

Thanks!

Kudos0

Thanks, floplot, fot your announcement. I just got it also.

Krusty13, out of curiosity, I clicked on the button "Go to My Account" (under Settings > Account Details) and this orange colored label appears over the upper side of the box with these words: "OOps! Something went wrong. Please contact our support." Then, after a few seconds, the label disappears, leaving the box intact with its request for my credentials. I wonder what may be causing this warning message or if it it's caused by the fact that I don't have an account (I have been using the free version).

Do you know why that warning appears?

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi LinYu2,

I don't have an account so haven't tried clicking on that button.  I suspect you using the free version could have something to do with it.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello LinYu2

That link you clicked on was from the old version? If it was, it is possible that it led to a page which was changed with the new version. It might have had to redirect you to the new site. The notice might have disappeared when you got to the correct location..

You are welcome also.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004 N 360 22.20.5.39 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Krusty13:

I don't have an account so haven't tried clicking on that button.  I suspect you using the free version could have something to do with it.

Hi LinYu2:

I believe Krusty13 is correct that My Account is only applicable for users who purchase a Premium license - see the Malwarebytes support article Set Up My Account.  Malwarebytes introduced My Account last year after they switched from a "pay once" lifetime license to a renewable "pay-as-you-go" annual subscription for MB Premium so that new subscribers can manage their product keys, set up automatic renewal of their annual subscription, etc.

I have one of the old "pay once" lifetime licenses so I haven't bothered to register since my ID # and product key never change and I don't have to worry about annual subscription renewals.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.262

Kudos0

floplot said:

That link you clicked on was from the old version?

It was in the new version. The explanation for what I got must be, I believe, what Krusty13 wrote and Imacri corroborated. It makes all the sense to me now.

Krusty13 said:

I suspect you using the free version could have something to do with it.

Imacri said:

I believe Krusty13 is correct that My Account is only applicable for users who purchase a Premium license.

At this point, I have no doubts that you're both correct. I do not have an account (and yes, I am using the free version) and the meaning of the popup message cannot be more clear now... "Oops! Something went wrong. Please contact our support." Of course!... As I now see it, it's like the system's reaction -- and an extremely polite reaction at that -- to a strange-o-gingle intruder trying to enter through a nonexistent doorway...

Thanks to all of you for your patient and continued help.

Cheers!

Kudos0

Hello

I found the Update by clicking on Install Application Updates under Application. I also have the Free Version. I click on that button every time I use the product. That downloads and installs the new version. It did have the changes but I was lazy to copy them.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2:

Krusty13, out of curiosity, I clicked on the button "Go to My Account" (under Settings > Account Details) and this orange colored label appears over the upper side of the box with these words: "OOps! Something went wrong. Please contact our support." Then, after a few seconds, the label disappears, leaving the box intact with its request for my credentials. I wonder what may be causing this warning message or if it it's caused by the fact that I don't have an account (I have been using the free version).

Do you know why that warning appears?

Thanks.

Hi LinYu2,

I've just created an account and from what I can figure you actually need to be invited to create one.  So you using a free version won't have a need to manage subscriptions so probably won't be invited to create one.  Clicking on the Account link may well throw an error.

Cheers!

Kudos0

Hi Krusty13,

Yeah, I guess we had more or less arrived at that conclusion. Your further addition confirms what I had meant to say when I wrote the following in my previous post:

"As I now see it, it's like the system's reaction -- and an extremely polite reaction at that -- to a strange-o-gingle intruder trying to enter through a nonexistent doorway... "

It's all fine with me. I think I can live with my free version, as long as Malwarebytes allows it.

Cheers!

Kudos2 Stats

Krusty13:
Malwarebytes 3.4 - now available

For MB Premium v3.4.4 users with real-time Ransomware Protection enabled:

Malwarebytes employee bdubrow edited the product update announcement Malwarebytes 3.4 - now available on 13-Mar-2018 to state:

KNOWN ISSUES with Malwarebytes 3.4.4 with Anti-Ransomware enabled:

When running Malwarebytes 3.4.4 with anti-ransomware enabled, you may see issues cutting and pasting files.  Copy / paste will work just fine, but cutting / pasting may give you an “access denied” error.  The work-around is to either temporarily disable anti-ransomware or instead try copy / pasting.  A similar issue can occur when renaming a file, though usually if you wait a short while and then try renaming again it'll work.

Additionally, you may not be able to eject a USB stick with anti-ransomware enabled. The work-around is to temporarily disable anti-ransomware, eject the USB and then re-enabled anti-ransomware. 

We are testing a fix for both these issues and should have that released shortly in our next Malwarebytes 3.x update.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.12.1.15 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183-1.0.262

Kudos0

Yep... Got my 3.4.4.2398 free version today.

Cheers!

Kudos1 Stats

Malwarebytes 3.4.5 - patch release

Hello!

We have a new patch upgrade for Malwarebytes for Windows—v. 3.4.5.

We’ve started rolling out upgrades for this version via in-app upgrades. If you don't want to wait to be notified by the program that your upgrade is available you can always grab the upgrade manually by clicking Install Application Updates in Settings > Application (if you're running MB 3.2 or later).  The updated installer is also available for download now from the main Malwarebytes website.

Here’s the list of changes / improvements in 3.4.5:

• Improved remediation for hijacked shortcuts
  • Continued improvements to overall protection, detection and remediation

Usability

• Device Name now syncs to the Malwarebytes My Account portal for users on the paid version
  • Improved accessibility features for the Notification Center
  • Added custom messages designed to highlight the value of Malwarebytes protection and help it remain free

Stability/issues fixed

• Fixed problem when cutting / pasting files with anti-ransomware enabled
  • Fixed problem where USB stick would not eject properly with anti-ransomware enabled
  • Fixed a service crash related to self-protection
  • Fixed a blue screen crash related to Web Protection
  • Addressed other miscellaneous defects

Thanks!

Kudos0

Hello

I just got the 3.4.5.2457. I think that was the version number for the free version. However, after the install, the 14 day free trial started. I had clicked that I didn't want the trial. I had to deactivate the trial period.. First I tried to close up the real time features and for each one I got the UAC which I had to ok. After doing that for a while, I found the place to deactivate the trial. I came here to post about it, but I see it is already announced.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Kudos0

It seems that my free version didn't get to my neck of the woods yet, but I'll wait...

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi all,

Just got today my free copy of the last update version.

Cheers!

Kudos0

Malwarebytes 3.5 Beta

Greetings!

We have a new Beta available through our in-app Beta channel 3.5.0

We’ve started rolling out upgrades for this version. If you are signed into the Beta setting and don't want to wait to be notified by the program that your upgrade is available you can always grab the upgrade manually by clicking Install Application Updates in Settings > Application (if you're running MB 3.2 or later). 

Here’s the list of changes / improvements in 3.5.0:

• Added support for Hypervisor Code Integrity (HVCI) and Device Guard to meet Microsoft compliance requirements
  • Improved the remediation process so fewer reboots are required
  • Improved the accuracy of the Web Protection module  
  • Improved driver management for increased stability

Usability

• Updated the dashboard design to better showcase Malwarebytes real-time protection features
  • Updated Notification Center behavior to make it easier to dismiss
  • Numerous other user interface and copy enhancements

Stability/issues fixed

• Fixed issue where anti-ransomware module could cause high CPU and memory use
  • Fixed an issue where Malwarebytes would open to the scan tab instead of the dashboard
  • Fixed reported crashes related to Web Protection
  • Fixed several translation issues

Thanks!

Kudos1 Stats

We have just moments ago released MB3.5 for Windows

Thank you so much to our 3.5.0 Beta users for all the useful and on point feedback relating to the interface, performance and stability, we have taken the time to address all this accordingly and as a result, it is now time to release 3.5.1. 

• Added support for Hypervisor Code Integrity (HVCI) and Device Guard to meet Microsoft compliance requirements
  • Improved the remediation process so fewer reboots are required
  • Improved the accuracy of the Web Protection module  
  • Improved driver management for increased stability

Usability

• Updated the dashboard design to better showcase Malwarebytes real-time protection features
  • Updated Notification Center behavior to make it easier to dismiss
  • Numerous other user interface and copy enhancements

Stability/issues fixed

• Fixed issue where anti-ransomware module could cause high CPU and memory use
  • Fixed an issue where Malwarebytes would open to the scan tab instead of the dashboard
  • Fixed reported crashes related to Web Protection
  • Fixed several translation issues

Thanks so very much again to our Malwarebytes community!

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

I just received 3.5.1.2522 version which I assume is what Krusty's post above is about.

This is the free version

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi floplot,

As usually, you seem to be one of the first in line, at least when it comes to Malwarebytes updates... As for me, it seems I'm not one of the first "chosen few"...

Just kidding, of course. I know it will come my way in due course, when the time comes. No complaints of any kind. 

Thanks for your kind announcement to the gang of the free users... Or, perhaps more correctly said, the users of the free version, generously made available by Malwarebytes Corporation. ("We believe everyone has a fundamental right to a malware-free existence.")  

Cheers for Malwarebytes too!

Kudos1 Stats

Hello LinYu2

You can be among the first also. It's easy. Settings>Application>Application Updates. Turn the 2nd one to on. I never get the notice, but every time I use the product, click on the bar Install Application Updates. I try clicking. If there is a new Application in the server, it will install. If there aren't any, then nothing happens.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos0

You're right... I just got my free MWB 3.5 update following the simple steps you provided.

Many thanks once again.

Cheers

Kudos0

Hello LinYu2

You are very welcome.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

LinYu2:

...As usually, you seem to be one of the first in line, at least when it comes to Malwarebytes updates... As for me, it seems I'm not one of the first "chosen few"...

Hi LinYu2:

You might want to read my thread No Update to 3.4 Offered in the Malwarebytes forum.  According to MB employee dcollins post # 9 today in that thread, right-clicking the MB icon in the system tray and choosing Check for Updates from the pop-up menu (or checking for updates from the MB dashboard) looks for updates for the malware definition database but doesn't look for available application updates (e.g., from v3.4.5 to v3.5.1).

...The only time application updates are checked for is every hour, and when you click the Check for Application updates button

Unless I'm mistaken, MB Free does not have the ability to automatically check for updates (in my MB Premium, scheduled updates can be configured at Settings | Protection | Updates | Automatically Check for Updates), so I assume that clicking the Check for Application Updates button in your settings (or performing an over-the-top update with the latest installer) is the only way MB Free users can receive application updates.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54 * MB Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Kudos1 Stats

" Imacry says:

Unless I'm mistaken, MB Free does not have the ability to automatically check for updates

I don't think you're mistaken; you are right. That feature for automatic application updates is greyed out in the free version. But since Malwarebytes still gives you -- quite generously, actually -- the ability to manually check for and install application updates, I can only express my appreciation for that.

Their motto "We believe everyone has a fundamental right to a malware-free existence" turns out to be much more than a beautiful but hollow bunch of words, just for looking good. And this is why, as I said, they deserve my great appreciation.

Many thanks for your attention.

Kudos0

lmacri:
.. I assume that clicking the Check for Application Updates button in your settings (or performing an over-the-top update with the latest installer) is the only way MB Free users can receive application updates.

Further to my previous post, I was wrong about my assumption that MB Premium v3 will check for application updates during scheduled updates.  See Malwarebytes employee dcollins' explanation <here> about an hourly background check on both Premium and Free versions that uses a metered "lottery" for delivering application updates. From dcollins' post # 2 of that thread:

"Malwarebytes checks with the servers every hour and checks to see if an upgrade is available. The server chooses people in a lottery based on our metering (which is pretty high right now) and determines if they get the upgrade at that time. If your computer is off, that means it's not checking in, and not eligible for the lottery that time around."

If you are using MB Free as an on-demand scanner and only have MB running a few hours each week then chances are very low that you would be connected to the MB servers and eligible for one of these update "lotteries".  That's probably why most MB Free users find that they eventually have to click the Check for Application Updates button at Settings | Application | Application Updates to get their application updates.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.14.0.54 * MB Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Kudos0

Kudos1 Stats

We are aware that users are getting messages that their database is out of date. We are performing maintenance on our database servers and these should be resolved in the next few hours. This error message should resolve itself once the maintenance is complete.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/231004-database-out-date-issues/ 

Kudos0

Hello

My free version always shows itself as current even when there are updates. I can click on current and it will update. I know when I come to the site, it can't be up to date. After a few times, I noticed that the current wasn't always current.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

New Component Package v1.0.374 Released 04-June-2018

Malwarebytes has released a new component package v1.0.374 for MB v3.5.1 that "includes more advanced core protections that fix the system slowdown excessive memory use issue" - see yesterday's addendum to the product update announcement Ladies and Gentlemen, Malwarebytes 3.5.  Go to Settings | Application | Application Updates and click the Install Application Updates button if you would like to apply this update immediately.

Note that component package v1.0.374 does not include a fix for a second bug in MB Premium's real-time protection described <here> where the Ransomware Protection module can block updates to third-party programs like Skype, Visual Studio 2017, KeePass, etc.  

Malwarebytes employee bdubrow also confirmed <here> that the new v1.0.374 component package will not be delivered to Win XP and Vista users now that  Malwarebytes has discontinued program upgrades for MB v3.5 on these older platforms.  See the the 17-May-2018 announcement in Malwarebytes 3 - Frequently Asked Questions for further information.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.14.2.13 * MB Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Kudos0

[Admin Edit: Comment moved to its own thread]

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.