• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

My Core Stopped Working

My Core stopped working. It shows a strong signal but "No internet, secured".

Labels: Connectivity

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: My Core Stopped Working

One of their poorly maintained servers went down so the Core is a brick until they figure out how to fix their own server.

Kudos1 Stats

So everyone with a Core is down?

Kudos1 Stats

It may be regional but a good number of us are down.  I had to switch back to an old router to access the web.

Kudos0

Wow, I've been chasing my tail on this one. It would be nice to be notified. Text, email, or even post this problem on there website.

Kudos0

They must be having some DNS outage. I bypassed Core and Internet back up on the older router. They should have notified Customers via Web, Blog, Twitter, whatever. Bad customer service.

Kudos0

Mine down too, spent time on phone with provider to prove ok then on hold forever with Norton.  Even an automated announcement on the support number would have been helpful.  

Kudos0

All: There are several threads going about Core outage. When one of we Guru's or Admins have something we can post related to what is causing this we will post here. What I DO see is the "My Norton" service has been down most of the day making it impossible to log into your accounts for Core as well as other products. If you try to factory reset the Core it will NOT activate so please pass along. Try to power cycle the Core ONLY. Use your mobile data if your phone wifi has issue connecting via the Core app. When we know more we will post here for everyone. Thanks for the patience. I suffered the same issue earlier this morning as well. You can check the status of ALL Norton services here: https://status.norton.com/

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.228 / NSBU 22.15.0.88 / Norton Core v.260 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Why does this render the Core useless?  This is why I don't like that the Norton Core is only managed via an app that MUST have an internet connection to work!  First, Norton should have redundant DNS servers in place (if they do, then they don't have enough), and if that still doesn't work, there should be a way to access the router to direct it to another DNS server.  I seem to recall they did have alternatives in the app (when I could access the settings).  They need to fix these two issues asap.

I am also accessing the net via a backup router, which is a pain, as I know have cables running all over my living room!

Kudos0

Piss me off - have just spent the day troubleshooting and trying to figure out why my Norton Core quit working/

Kudos0

Thanks for the late and opposite of active approach on this. Already factory reset since that's what your troubleshooting guide advises to do and your support did not do any reach out to let me know not to do what you advise. How bad of shape will I be in supposing you can fix this DNS issue?
Kudos0

Hello SoulAsylum

Everyone in these Core threads about this widespread failure needs to thank you. You are the closest one to Norton Support so far as I am reading these threads. So thank you SoulAsylum for passing along any information you can come across. Everything happens on a holiday weekend.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.15.0.88 Core Firmware 260 I E 11
Kudos0

Thanks to everyone for contributing.....very frustrating to have a strong signal but no internet ! Reverted to my old router but sure don’t want to re-direct all my devices , hope they get it fixed soon.
Kudos0

worse design ever that a DNS outage can affect the core.  I found out too late about resetting the core and followed the directions they provided.  Oh well.  I hope Norton learns from this and hardens their network.  Otherwise, I am going elsewhere

Kudos0

Issue has been resolved according to https://mobile.twitter.com/nortonsupport

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. This issue has been fixed. Should the issue recur, please let us know. Thank you. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

This issue is beyond acceptable, especially for a SECURITY COMPANY!  To not think through (and thoroughly test) possible impacts of a security hack, such as the DNS attack that you apparently had yesterday, and how you keep your customers from being affected is beyond me.  It makes me think you guys did not properly consider redundancies, backup plans and how to route your customers around any issues with a fallback plan (such as routing your customers to another VPN provider).  

I loved the concept of the Core, which is why I paid a premium and pre-ordered this.  But, since then I've learned more about private VPNs, which is the route I think I'm going now - just going to a modern router and point it to a private VPN, which I can manually re-route if they have a security attack like you had.

This router has been problematic from day one, constantly dropping wifi, rebooting to update firmware without warning (despite the fact that some of us may have been doing something terribly important that required internet access at the time), etc.  The worse is the complete lack of communication of this issue.  You very well could have broadcast an email to all of your users, but instead, you left it to all of us to figure out the problem ourselves.  I almost reset my core, but thankfully, I checked here first.  But, it's apparent many of the rest of your customers weren't so lucky and reset their Cores, adding insult to injury.

You need to apologize very publicly, and I expect you to offer a full refund for any of us who want off of your failed experiment, because that's exactly how this feels to me now.

Kudos0

DillyDilly IF you had attempted to factory reset your Core when the outage took place you MUST setup Core as if it were new out of the box. When you do this instruct the app to REMOVE the Core from your account OR login as an existing customer and allow your stored settings to download from the cloud to the Core. You MUST use Bluetooth as the first step in the setup AND have cellular data available to complete.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.228 / NSBU 22.15.0.88 / Norton Core v.260 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

As I had mentioned in my original note (edited now), I had NOT reset my Core.  I just turned off my entire network for 10 minutes and systematically rebooted everything.  Back up and running, but this whole experience is inexcusable, per my original note.

Kudos0

DillyDilly if you are up and running that is GREAT news, and, what we are looking to assist with. The instructions in my last post also included:

When you do this instruct the app to REMOVE the Core from your account OR login as an existing customer and allow your stored settings to download from the cloud to the Core

Two specific choices for those who didn't reset prior or attempt a factory reset. I'm sorry if there was confusion about that.

Cheers

Kudos0

Hello Stuart. As the original poster what is your current status with Core? Firmware version 266 was released a short time ago. Please let us know what if anything it helps with and if we can assist further.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.