• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Thanks to....

....Dieselman743, huwyngr, Phil_D, Snowbunnie, Floating_Red,  Stu and TechOutsider for the help and advice they gave me on this thread

I finally installed NIS 2009 a couple of days ago and it seems to be working well. I used the NRT to uninstall my previous version of NIS first. No doubt I'll be back both to solve any problems that may occur and learn more about the program.

Thanks again to all of you, have a great weekend!

2 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64bit, 1 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 32bit, NIS v22.7.0.76

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....

....Dieselman743, huwyngr, Phil_D, Snowbunnie, Floating_Red,  Stu and TechOutsider for the help and advice they gave me on this thread

I finally installed NIS 2009 a couple of days ago and it seems to be working well. I used the NRT to uninstall my previous version of NIS first. No doubt I'll be back both to solve any problems that may occur and learn more about the program.

Thanks again to all of you, have a great weekend!

2 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64bit, 1 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 32bit, NIS v22.7.0.76
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....

And a word to the rest of you.

If you ever encounter problems, running the NRT is your best bet. 

=\
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....


Tech0utsider wrote:

And a word to the rest of you.

If you ever encounter problems, running the NRT is your best bet. 


I have to disagree here because I have seen may problems get Solved without using the Norton Removal Tool.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....


Madeline wrote:

....Dieselman743, huwyngr, Phil_D, Snowbunnie, Floating_Red,  Stu and TechOutsider for the help and advice they gave me on this thread

I finally installed NIS 2009 a couple of days ago and it seems to be working well. I used the NRT to uninstall my previous version of NIS first. No doubt I'll be back both to solve any problems that may occur and learn more about the program.

Thanks again to all of you, have a great weekend!


You're welcome.

Glad I could have helped!

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....

Many thanks for letting us know -- that is good news.
Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Thanks to....


Tech0utsider wrote:

And a word to the rest of you.

If you ever encounter problems, running the NRT is your best bet. 


What you are saying is "If you ever run into a problem don't try to solve it, just start over again"

I would disagree with this bald statement.

Firstly, because the Norton Removal Tool removes all Norton applications so your statement needs to be qualified by "provided you know that it will remove any other Norton applications you have installed -- you have no choice"

Secondly, because uninstalling whether using that tool or not does not always work

Thirdly, because here in these forums we try to help people solve problems and to do this we, and Symantec, need to know what is causing them. So having someone pose a problem and when we need answers to questions the problem is no longer there does not optimize help, even if it solves that particular problem .... until it crops up again.

So personally I would very much appreciate it if you would qualify your statements and in particular first help determine what the cause of the problem is.

Hugh
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....


huwyngr wrote:

Tech0utsider wrote:

And a word to the rest of you.

If you ever encounter problems, running the NRT is your best bet. 


What you are saying is "If you ever run into a problem don't try to solve it, just start over again"

I would disagree with this bald statement.

Firstly, because the Norton Removal Tool removes all Norton applications so your statement needs to be qualified by "provided you know that it will remove any other Norton applications you have installed -- you have no choice"

Secondly, because uninstalling whether using that tool or not does not always work

Thirdly, because here in these forums we try to help people solve problems and to do this we, and Symantec, need to know what is causing them. So having someone pose a problem and when we need answers to questions the problem is no longer there does not optimize help, even if it solves that particular problem .... until it crops up again.

So personally I would very much appreciate it if you would qualify your statements and in particular first help determine what the cause of the problem is.


I couldn't have said it better. You don't always need it.

But thanx for your feedback

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought"
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....

I agree with what you say. I used the Norton Removal Tool because I had no other Norton product installed; I would use 'Add or Remove Programs' in that case. If I had any problems I would then come here for help!

2 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64bit, 1 x Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 32bit, NIS v22.7.0.76
Kudos0

Re: Thanks to....


Madeline wrote:

I agree with what you say. I used the Norton Removal Tool because I had no other Norton product installed; I would use 'Add or Remove Programs' in that case. If I had any problems I would then come here for help!


That will be the last resort..... But I personnally would use, NRT NOT Add & Remove.  That is what most experts users would recommand.

Thank you

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Thanks to....

It's open to debate -- expert or not!

Nevertheless Norton's recommendation is to use Remove Programs and only use Norton Removal Tool if there is a problem.

IMO It's better to use the normal method first especially when there is a specialized tool available if needed.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.