• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Renew subscribtion problem

On Dec 23rd 2017 I was renewing my Norton security when a Norton warning came up saying there was a problem with installing the product and to call 1-844-461-8952 so I called talked to someone who said he was from Norton and he said he would look into the problem then asked me a couple of questions and asked for permission to go into my computer I agreed. So he goes into my computer looks around for 10 minutes tells me it is a very good computer and should have no problem running Norton so he put me on hold for a couple of minutes then comes back and said he wanted to check a couple of more things which he does he comes back and says I have 195 driver warnings and issues,and he well get a level 7 technician to fix all the issues on my computer for one time price of $89.95. So I told him no and to now get out of my computer which I had to ask him more than once to get out my computer. Then he phoned me twice to offer me a better deal told him not interested and never call me again or I would report the issue. Six weeks ago I had my hard drive replaced and a new copy of Windows installed also the computer shop that did the work went through the computer and checked everything there were no problems.I decided just to be on the safe side I had our work technician stop by and take a look he did not find one problem. What kind of a scam are you running Norton this at the very least  illegal someone should be held accountable this scam stopped immediately.        

JJ58   

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Renew subscribtion problem

This was some kind of scam. Norton does not charge for help with renewals, and does not check for driver warnings.

How were you trying to renew your Norton? What web site did you visit?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

was renewing through Norton internet security on my desktop which had 4 days left on it as I said the alert came up with the Norton logo and the phone number I posted.

Kudos0

JWJ58 Is this how you were renewing? No browser open and using the Norton dashboard?

https://us.norton.com/renewal

Or you could have simple opened the dashboard and looked under HELP then selected My Norton....that should have taken you to the Norton accounts login page where you could log in and manage your subscriptions from there.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.228 / NSBU 22.15.0.88 / Norton Core v.260 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Yes that is correct no browser

Kudos0

peterweb is correct. Your computer was more than likely compromised and suffered a man-in-the-middle hijack and you were directed with a fake popup. This number is NOT a support number for Norton in any fashion. 1-844-461-8952. Since you had your hard drive replaced there is no evidence of the scam however. I have personally encountered this with several of my customers. Always after the fact but never the less they were taken for big bucks and were tutored many times on the issues of popups.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v105274822_EndUserProfile_en_us

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.228 / NSBU 22.15.0.88 / Norton Core v.260 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

I had my hard drive replaced six weeks before this happened also if Norton claims to be the most secure internet security on the market  why does this problem still exist. Why is it that the Norton customer is being ripped off and scammed by a fake pop up or hijacked  are we not paying Norton to stop these intrusions and if as you state you have had several customers with the same problem why are you not doing something about this

Kudos0

JWJ58 The things that any A/V product doesn't have control of are user interactions and browsers. You weren't hijacked by Norton, you were hit with a man in the middle exploit which took advantage of something not being updated on your system unfortunately. This usually happens at the router level, although. Administrative system privileges more than likely, coupled with software not being updated are the most common avenues for exploits. Websites are just waiting for the drive by and walla. Having an always connected internet connection with most operating systems and being exposed due to improper system settings is another factor.  https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-wifi-what-is-a-man-in-the-middle-attack.html

The "customers" I had aforementioned were my customers as I run a PC repair business locally. Their issues were, surfing. Answering up to a fake popup and not asking about it before allowing things to happen. All were elderly and as we all know they frighten rather easily when confronting these sort of things. Its very unfortunate but does happen.

Happy Holidays!!!

Kudos0

I purchased a five user Norton internet security deluxe this year but will not renew this subscription again I feel the security is not what is advertised and reading the forums here all problems are blamed on the user we buy the product for protection, I really don't see how clicking on renewal on my Norton dashboard and being redirected and or in this case have someone try to scam money from me is a the customers fault. Not once has anyone from Norton said we will look into this problem we take this security breach seriously so for me after being a customer for over 20 years I will not be renewing again bye bye Norton   

Kudos1 Stats

I purchased a five user Norton internet security deluxe this year but will not renew this subscription again I feel the security is not what is advertised and reading the forums here all problems are blamed on the user we buy the product for protection, I really don't see how clicking on renewal on my Norton dashboard and being redirected and or in this case have someone try to scam money from me is a the customers fault. Not once has anyone from Norton said we will look into this problem we take this security breach seriously so for me after being a customer for over 20 years I will not be renewing again bye bye Norton   

As Soul says,  You weren't hijacked by Norton, you were hit with a man in the middle exploit which took advantage of something not being updated on your system unfortunately.

Not Norton's fault, and a case of user/buyer beware.

Norton cannot protect from commonsense not being used.

Windows 10 Home X64 Norton Security Premium---Current

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.