• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NIS 2009 AntiSpam - Can't retrain

Hi, first time poster. Here's my problem:

1) I too had that NIS 2009 framework error issue whenever I checked my Outlook mail -- I disabled NIS email scanning and dealt with this issue for a month.

2) Three days ago, I found NIS 2009 seemingly unistalled. Its desktop icon was an unknown file icon and clicking it brought me to One Click Support

3) I followed the instructions by running the removal tool twice and reinstalling NIS 2009

NIS 2009's new patch seems to have fixed the framework error, but now my AntiSpam doesn't have a button for "Teaching the filtering engine your email preferences" -- that's what it's called in the Help file. So my "Allowed List" is empty. Yet, the first time I downloaded NIS 2009, it did a training scan (thanks to a button on the toolbar) the first time it ran.

That Training button is nowhere to be found (and I know it exists because of the "teaching the filtering..." topic in Help. The question is... how do I retrain the AntiSpam? It was a very valueable tool (no matter how long it took) because it automatically added my thousands and thousands of saved e-mails senders to my allowed list.

Please help. Thanks.

Message Edited by Dewy2500 on 11-16-2008 03:06 PM

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: NIS 2009 AntiSpam - Can't retrain

Hi Dewy2500,

I'm sure you thought your post was forgotten about, however I have been changing various configuring settings in the Norton Interface hoping to invoke the AntiSpam Training Tool you are now missing.  However, I have had no success.

I will try to flag your message for a Symantec Employee to review.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos3 Stats

For this you have to go into the registry.

Close Outlook if it is open.

Click Run, write regedit and click OK..

Navigate to this key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec\AntiSpam\Client_Plugins\Outlook

Modify  the values FirstRun and Mailbox Training. Their value will be 1, and you have to change it to 0 (zero). Exit Registry editor and open Outlook.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- NIS 21
Kudos1 Stats

Hi TomiRed,

Looks like an interesting fix.

Let's hope it works out for Dewey2500.

Thanks.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."   Edward R. Murrow
Kudos0

Brilliant TomiRed. That fixed it; it's going through the training process now.

Thanks for all of your help and commitment guys. I've had Norton since 2003 and only had a couple of problems with the 2009 version, but all of that seems cleared up with the patch. Marking something as Spam with the "mark as Spam button" goes A LOT faster now.

The only improve I'd suggest? I get random SPAM with all Japanese characters. Marking that as SPAM doesn't seem to have any affect on future character-filled e-mails. I tried entering a common string in Keywords, but it doesn't take; it's just those small boxes in place of the characters. Not something that's as big of a deal as the training was, but maybe an idea to recognize in the future.

Thanks again.

Message Edited by Dewy2500 on 11-17-2008 02:48 PM
Kudos0

TomiRed wrote:

For this you have to go into the registry.

Close Outlook if it is open.

Click Run, write regedit and click OK..

Navigate to this key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec\AntiSpam\Client_Plugins\Outlook

Modify  the values FirstRun and Mailbox Training. Their value will be 1, and you have to change it to 0 (zero). Exit Registry editor and open Outlook.

Hi -

I have NIS2009 and have been having nothing but trouble.

I finally got my other issues solved so now I want to try to solve this Anti spam issue.

I cannot train my Anti spam either and I tried the solution you posted. I have been marking emails as spam, then blocking the address and they are going into the spam folder - but not automatically.

My FirstRun had no number so I set it to zero. My Mailbox training had a series of zeros but I could not remove all or them so I removed a few on the far right hand side but that did not do anything so I put back the zeros I removed.

I had Outlook express closed while I did this and then I re-booted my computer but I still do not have a "Training Button" - unless I am looking in the wrong place.

I know I had one with my previous version of NIS when I used the add-on pack but I don't have it now with the NIS2009.

Any further advice??

sltoo213

Kudos0

I'm very sorry but I can't help you with your issue, because I have Vista and I don't have Outlook Express. The fix above is for Microsoft Office Outlook.

I hope someone with XP will see what the keys look like for OE.

In addition, don't forget to tick the box for Outlook Express in the user interface of NIS.

Kudos0

TomiRed wrote:

I'm very sorry but I can't help you with your issue, because I have Vista and I don't have Outlook Express. The fix above is for Microsoft Office Outlook.

Okay -TomiRed

Thanks for your reply - I hope somebody else may have a solution.

I appreciate you reply.

Kudos0

I have a computer with OE and NIS 2009, but I won't be able to physically get to it until Friday. So, if noone helps you by that time, be patient - I'll keep this in mind and see what the OE solution could look like.
Kudos0

Awesome - Thanks so much.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

sltoo213

Kudos0

TomiRed wrote:
I have a computer with OE and NIS 2009, but I won't be able to physically get to it until Friday. So, if noone helps you by that time, be patient - I'll keep this in mind and see what the OE solution could look like.

Hi TomiRed -

I am writing to let you know that I have somehow solved this issue myself by trying a lot of different things out of frustration but it is finally working and I would like to post what I did so maybe it will help someone else.

First I contacted tech support but after remote access the only thing they found wrong was that i had both Outlook & Outlook Express checked off in Client Integration so they corrected that and then totally reset my IE7 which really aggravated me as I had my tool bars and add-ons set up and I had to redo it all and then it still did not work after they were done.

The I was reading all of the different discussions where there was any info on re-training the Anti-Spam and I decided to experiment and here is what I did.

I use Outlook Express and I went into Tools>Message Rules>Mail.

There was an exsisting rule that said: Auto Generated Norton Anti-Spam Rule which had No Check Mark in the box before it and the description of the rule was as follows:

This rule is currently turned off.

Where the subject line contains "[Norton Anti-Spam]" move it to the Norton Anti-Spam folder.

I was supposed to be able to click on the underlined words to edit them but that did not work either and it really was not "grayed out" but I could not do anything.

Unfortunately for whatever reason I was unable to put a check mark in the box to choose this rule and I have no idea why.

What I did was to try to re-create this exact rule by "copying" it exactly and then I was able to check it off as the rule to use. Now it says: Copy Of Auto Generated Norton Anti-Spam Rule and I put a check mark in the box.

The new description says

Apply this rule after the message arrives.

Where the subject line contains "[Norton Anti-Spam]" move it to the Norton Anti-Spam folder.

I then closed this window and closed Outlook Express and re-opened it but it still did not work but I remembered reading something about when you first start it up after installing the NIS2009 that there should be a window popping up asking if you want it to train the anti-spam but I never got that pop-up.

I decided to experiment again and I created a New Identity in Outlook Express and once I did that window popped up asking about training. I then logged off that identity and logged into my identity, shut down Outlook Express and re-started the computer.

When I re-opened my Outlook Express this time - I was amazed that it suddenly started to work!!!

It sorted the spam into the correct folder Norton Anti-Spam folder (which were all email address that are in my Blocked list in NIS) and the In box had just the emails from my Allowed List.

I am really not sure if I just needed to do the second step or both steps but all I know is it is finally working properly. I wish I could describe all this better or use the proper terminology but maybe this still might help someone else who is suffering like I was.

sltoo213
Windows XP - SP3
NIS2009

Kudos0

Sorry I didn't check in, but I wouldn't be of much use anyway because I didn't find the soultion during the weekend. I'm glad you found one, although it seems it was very dangerous.
Kudos0

TomiRed wrote:
I'm glad you found one, although it seems it was very dangerous.

Hi -

I am curious as to why you feel the solution was dangerous.

I want to learn as much as I can, and I can see from reading the Norton boards that you are much more knowledgeable than I about computers and software, so I would love it if you could elaborate.

Thanks -

sltoo213
Windows XP - SP3
NIS2009

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.