• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Recent Update Disabled Firewall

receive alert in windows defender action center that NAV is snoozed and device may be unprotected

Labels: Firewall

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Recent Update Disabled Firewall

Try restarting your computer a few times. And it may help if you disable Windows Fast Startup feature. If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi @leachade,

Thanks for reporting in Norton Community Forums. Please let us know if you still see alert message "Norton snoozed and device may be unprotected" in action center. Also, could you please let us know Norton product version installed? 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Same problem here. Previous version was 22.11.2.7

Kudos0

When you see this notice, do you have a green check mark in your Norton icon in the System Tray? If so, Norton is working correctly. 

You need to check the alert to see exactly what is being detected.

Kudos1 Stats

I had the same problem after the latest product update to NAV.  I had a remote session with a support person and he uninstalled and reinstalled the product.  It fixed the error.  However, after the session was over I noticed the reason the error was fixed is because I am back to version 22.11.2.7.  This is bound to occur again.  Does anyone know if Norton is working on a fix and if so, might they temporarily again pull back the latest version update?  

Kudos0

As Leachade said, action center alert is for firewall snoozed. Then an option to open nav panel to solve it. But from NAV there is no firewall options.

This do not happen with previous version.

I unistalled 22.12 and reinstalled 22.11 and alert is gone.

Kudos0

But did you check the Norton icon in the System tray as I suggested above. If there is a green check mark, your Norton firewall is working fine. If it were not, you would see a red X. 

The issue may just be in the way Windows Defender Alerts are picking up the new Norton version.

Kudos0

This is a follow-up to my prior post. I had a chat session with another support person and he stated "this is an on-going issue with the latest update version of Norton Antivirus and our technicians are working day and night to fix this issue."

I mentioned that LiveUpdate has already downloaded version 22.120.104.  He confirmed that as long as I do not reboot my computer the new version will not install. Further, he stated "once the issue is fixed successfully, it will automatically update with LiveUpdate and then you will not face this issue any longer."

Kudos0

I am unaware of Norton Antivirus (NAV) having its own firewall.  The first support person I chatted with confirmed that NAV does not have a firewall. 

Kudos0

I am unaware of Norton Antivirus (NAV) having its own firewall.  The first support person I chatted with confirmed that NAV does not have a firewall. 

My bad. You are correct. No firewall in NAV. But my comments still apply. If you see a green check mark, your Norton is working regardless of what Windows Defender is telling you.

Kudos0

Agreed...Norton is indeed working.  However, users of NAV will have their Windows Firewall disabled if they install version 22.120.104. This is the issue allegedly being addressed by the technicians. 

Kudos1 Stats

Just answering your question peterweb: yes, icon tray was green.

Adding to my previous report, i tried to contact support by the option on nav panel and it said that was a problem with the installation and that 1 correction was made. Rebooted and same problem again. Tried the support option again and it said that was an error that could not be fixed: "install failed".

I observed that the product name changed too. From Norton Antivírus to Norton Security.

Ok, so let's wait for Symantec fixes. Meanwhile, back to 22.11 :)

Kudos0

Mine says "Smart Firewall is Enabled." Like there is a firewall in Norton Security.....

Kudos0

Hello jimburns

Norton Security does have a firewall. If you have Norton Antivirus, then there is no firewall in Norton.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.16.0.247 Core Firmware 267 I E 11
Kudos0

I have the same problem in Norton AntiVirus Online (NAO) 22.12.0.104. Windows Defender Security Center is giving me an error in Firewall & network protection, saying "Actions needed in Norton AntiVirus Online.", and there is a link to open NAO. However, when I click the link and open NAO, it says "You Are Protected" with a very large green checkmark.

I've already tried asking about this in Microsoft Answers, and was told to ask here.

The problem happened with the most recent NAO update.

Thanks,
Shane.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Kudos0

This is a follow-up to my prior posts.  Today I had a chat session with support.  He claimed the technicians had a fix for the latest version of NAV (22.120.104) causing Windows Firewall to disable.  He took control of my computer and I now have version 22.120.104 and the Firewall is enabled.  Then there was a patch available that I applied (but did not require a reboot).  After applying the patch Windows Firewall is still enabled.  However, if I run Get Support in Help Center I am immediately informed an Auto Fix requires a restart of my computer.  I have a feeling if I restart, the Windows Firewall may again be disabled.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Kudos1 Stats

I once again contacted support to ask about the reboot due to the Auto Fix mentioned in my last post.  I was informed to reboot.  I did and the results are good and as follows:

(1) I have NAV version 22.120.104, (2) the Windows Firewall is enabled, (3) LiveUpdates are current and (4) Get Support from the Help Center runs with no issues found. 

Kudos0

Jaylato119,

- Do you know what support tech did in the remote session ?

- The patch you mentioned is available where ? LiveUpdate ?

- The Get Support in help was fixed ? No more errors detected ?

Will be great if someone from Symantec clarify if the problem was solved. With the same program version

number i am not sure it was.

Kudos0

I'm keen to know if this has been fixed yet. I've uninstalled NAV and I'm just running Windows Defender until I know it's been resolved.

Kudos1 Stats

Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the support person and did not write down the case number. 

The patch appeared after he got me back to version 22.120.104 without the Windows Firewall error.  After applying the patch the Get Support in Help was prompting me to reboot due to an Autofix.  After I rebooted Get Support ran without incident and Windows Firewall is still enabled. 

The support person knew of the problem and stated the technicians had a fix which he could apply.  I gave him control of my computer and he did whatever was necessary.  Until that time I don't believe there was anything coming through LiveUpdates to correct the issue.  

Sorry I can't be of further help.  

Kudos0

Had this same issue when i made a thread about it basically started after installing 22.120.104 update from norton antivirus. i had to remove and reinstall norton to fix it but it still shows the error but the windows firewall works.

Kudos0

Jaylato119:

I am unaware of Norton Antivirus (NAV) having its own firewall. The first support person I chatted with confirmed that NAV does not have a firewall.

My NAO says that it has a firewall, but it calls it "Intrusion and Browser Protection".

Jaylato119:

Today I had a chat session with support. He claimed the technicians had a fix for the latest version of NAV (22.120.104) causing Windows Firewall to disable.  He took control of my computer and I now have version 22.120.104 and the Firewall is enabled. Then there was a patch available that I applied (but did not require a reboot).  After applying the patch Windows Firewall is still enabled.

Does Security History show the name of the patch that was applied?

Thanks,
Shane.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Kudos0

Shane,

NAV does not have a firewall.  I am unfamiliar with NAO.

Regarding the Patch, I can't find anything in History that specifically says Patch.  The only item around the time that I believe I applied the Patch is an NGC Product Update.  No further description is available nor can I state with certainly this pertains to the Patch.  

Kudos0

So interestingly, before I uninstalled NAV, when I went into Search on the system’s main panel and typed “Firewall” one of the options was “Smart Firewall”, which was turned off (red) but there was no way to switch it on. I suspect the latest version of NAV has activated some shared code and it makes Windows Defender think there’s a third-party firewall available, but it’s turned off.

Kudos0

Jaylato119:

I am unfamiliar with NAO.

NAO is provided by my Internet Service Provider, Telus.

Shane.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Kudos0

Any news from Symantec ???

I have time only the next weekend to try to update again. Will be great to hear that problem was solved and avoid new headaches.

Kudos0

Hi @marbp,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Team still working on this issue and will update this forum post once we get more details on the fix. Thanks 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

When I boot up the Windows firewall becomes disabled. When I click on the Windows Firewall icon it says that "These settings are being managed by vendor application Norton antivirus. I have version 22.12.0.104 which I think is the latest. When I investigate how to turn off the Norton Firewall I do not find in my settings of the Antivirus anywhere where it says firewall as described in the support solution. After rebooting several times some times the Norton Antivirus Firewall  is no longer and the usual Windows Firewall is back on. What can I do to solve this problem. This has been happening just in the past few weeks. 

Kudos0

Norton Anti Virus does not have a firewall, so no need to look for the settings. This issue is caused by a recent Norton update, and has been reported in this thread.   https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recent-update-disabled-firewall

I would suggest posting to that thread.

Kudos0

The work-around is to do a re-install of stable version before the poison patch -- save the installer instead of "run". That will get the current  protection updates without the patch. Then the Windows on/off controls for Firewall will function, they were also disabled by the bug.

Turn off auto-live update, just do it interactively when there is the time to re-install from that saved installer.

After five days without updates the green check changes to red.

"All the formatting controls are on vacation to Firewall-Island"

Kudos0

My GENUINE WINDOWS 7 PRO, that came pre-installed on HP/COMPAQ, no longer genuine.

I notice when doing a repeat live update to get to the buggy patch, the version to stop at before getting the bad patch is 22.10.0.85. After that the 100 mb LU starts DL of poison patch.

I don't know the order of the update files, stopping before completion may get protection files and leave the patch incomplete.

Anybody else have insight on that??

Kudos0

Where are you getting the installer that is getting you to 22.10? If you just run the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool, that should get you to 22.11.x.x.. 

If you  turn off LiveUpdate to stop getting the new version, you also stop getting the protection definition updates. 

Kudos0

I was the installer from spring 2017, which I had saved, then ran when I had subscription Norton service. I no longer need a separate subscription because it's include in my ISP monthly cost.

It installs a stable version or two before  the 22.10.0.85 version followed by Updates and Restarts until the version just before the bad build 22.12.0.104.

The protection updates files are discrete from the build/patch files. So I have the last stable build, before the build 104, that kills the firewall. I use the INTERACTIVE, on demand LiveUpdate, so I don't come back from getting coffee, or letting the dog outside and find that AUTOMATIC LiveUpdate has done a Live-it's-broken-now.

The branded installer from my ISP installs a version from summer 2015. The subscribed to one I saved is from 2017. I can't get a more recent one because the 30 trial one is blocked from double or triple dipping of 30 day trials or if you had a subscription.

The formatting controls

are

back                     

from

vacation.

Kudos0

The protection updates files are discrete from the build/patch files

Yes the files are separate, but they come down with the same LiveUpdate runs. Whether manual or automatic. If LiveUpdate is run, you will get the new troublesome version.

Another note. If you are using your ISPs version of Norton, and now have installed a regular Norton version, to avoid possible conflicts, you are going to have to do some serious cleaning of the Norton installations when you finally go back to a good version.

Kudos1 Stats

Another note. If you are using your ISPs version of Norton, and now have installed a regular Norton version, to avoid possible conflicts, you are going to have to do some serious cleaning of the Norton installations when you finally go back to a good version.

The only edition installed is the one from the ISP.

Shane.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Kudos0

If LiveUpdate is run, you will get the new troublesome version.

That's what the STOP BUTTON IS FOR. If not stopped in time then back to re-install. Even though I used that previous version installer from a subscription, the BRANDING information and my setting tagged along on the re-install. The Norton installers, branded or not, clean out/un-install existing Nortons and save or not save setting prior to installation, those messages before, during, after, or between the running dots, dashes, underlines, or spinning circles and pop dialogue boxes when SW installs/un-installs.

I contacted my ISP -- CenturyLink -- to put a more recent stable version branded installer on their server. Customer service lines were backed up because of the un-friendly-fire from Norton.

The ISP adds their brand, and sells the other parts/features, that Norton markets/packages together, the ISP offers a la carte.

Kudos0

Shane:

The only edition installed is the one from the ISP.

Shane.

Sorry. I should have specifically mentioned that my comment was aimed at Fbgnarm

Kudos0

Jaylato119:

...The patch appeared after he got me back to version 22.120.104 without the Windows Firewall error.  After applying the patch the Get Support in Help was prompting me to reboot due to an Autofix.  After I rebooted Get Support ran without incident and Windows Firewall is still enabled. 

The support person knew of the problem and stated the technicians had a fix which he could apply.  I gave him control of my computer and he did whatever was necessary.  Until that time I don't believe there was anything coming through LiveUpdates to correct the issue.... 

Perhaps I misunderstood Jaylato 119's 05-Feb-2018 post <here> but it sounds like Symantec already has a bug fix that is being beta tested before the patch is pushed out via LiveUpdate.  If affected NAV v22.12.0.104 users contact Norton Customer Support via Live Chat at https://www.norton.com/chat shouldn't they be able to ask the service rep to access their computer via remote access and replace the buggy file (perhaps a .sys driver, .dll library or .exe executable?) with the updated file as a temporary fix until the patch goes into wide release?
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104

Kudos1 Stats

Hi lmacri:

This is Jaylato119.  Yes, the Live Chat support session did the trick.  My Windows Firewall is enabled, I have the most current version of NAV (that is, v22.12.0.104), my Live Updates are current and there are no errors reported when I run Get Support from the Help Center.  Unfortunately I did not keep the case number or the name of the support person who assisted me.  However, he understood my problem, I granted him remote access to my computer and he fixed it.  I don't know the details of the fix. 

Kudos0

After last Sunday windows seems to be reporting Norton Antivirus has a firewall, which I understand is incorrect.  The problem seems to have started last Sunday (2/4/18) after a patch was installed.  Running 24.12.0.104 and Windows 7 home, up to date on windows patches..

Problem could be older as normally I do not so closely watch windows firewall.

Widows action center reports I have two firewalls, windows and norton which is off.  Though odd, guess that is ok.  However infrequently  Windows determines that the norton firewall is active so does not start the windows firewall.  A reboot clears the issue up.  I've added control panel/ windows firewall to my system startup so I always remember to check.

After the patch I've also noted that norton takes more time to start.  Only a minute or two, but noticeable.  It does always come up with green check mark.

Any ideas?

Kudos0

This issue already reported here.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recent-update-disabled-firewall

Norton is aware and working on it.

Kudos0

I did see that post, but do not know what was meant by snoozed, so did not take it as my issue.  I see no "snoozed" message.  Still not sure it is.

Kudos0

That was a little unclear, but as you read through the entire thread, you will see it is the same issue you are seeing.

Kudos0

Thanks.  I am surprised norton doesn't push out a fallback patch.  Luckily I am seeing the failure rarely.

Kudos0

I opened a topic

LiveUpdate is missing "Forward to the Past" Feature", join in at:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/liveupdate-missing-forward-past-feature

Every time

"As is our standard practice, we are deploying the patch in a phased manner. We have released the patch to randomly selected customers, and will then monitor our telemetry, as well as this forum, for any problems or issues.  Once we have confirmed the effectiveness of the patch, we will make it available to all customers. We will post an update on the Norton Community Forums when we make the patch available to all customers."

goes South as in:

Those randomly selected (drafted) customers faced with the "FITZALL" solution, uninstall/re-install, cross your fingers that they are not randomly selected over and over when updating from the broken patch (of program/engine) or defective definition file. Norton already has

the

"Purloined Letter" LU pause/resume,

and

the "Purloined Letter" "Proprietary" turn off AutoFix from fixing definition files/folders that are NOT corrupted that were user restored from back-up or Windows Recovery.

Give U$, the u$ers, an interactive LU choice to ROLL BACK an update of definition files or program patch AND set a BTDT "randomly selected" OPT OUT of the PUPpy.

Consider this in the spirit of the NETWORK COST AWARENESS feature.

"Forward to the Past" is my anti-paraphrase of the "Back to the Future" franchise.

Kudos0

Now I've been "randomly selected" 3 times

What are the odds? Norton Marketing claims 175 million Users/Installed-on-systems/devices

The Century link installer updates through 4 stable builds

install: 22.5.2.15

1st update: 22.6.0.142

2nd update: 22.7.0.76 -- just after the .75 build disaster

3rd update: 22.8.0.50

4th update: 22.11.0.41

Then the Current 22.12.0.104 that hasn't been pulled again.

Now I'll try the Subscription installer I have archived and note how much more recent it is than the Branded installer. It may take longer than the one hour edit-the-comment/post-allowance.

The classical composer trio will just be a duet - Brahms & Beethoven until I will be Bach

Made it with a few minutes to spare

The archived Subscription-installer starts with 22.9.0.71 a build between the 3rd and 4th update from the CenturyLink installer

It will probably save 8+ LiveUpdates and 3 or 4 restarts and quite a bit of network cost awareness. Only 2 minutes to spare.

Bye

Kudos0

We have released the patch to randomly selected customers, and will then monitor our telemetry,

Now I've been "randomly selected" 3 times

Just an FYI. This random selection does not mean that specific customers are selected. The patch is placed on the update servers, and when a specific % of total number of Norton users has received the patch, the patch is put on hold while Norton looks for problems. If that first wave has no problems, more updates are allowed until another threshold is reached. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The timing of when a specific user might get the update depends on whether they are online at the time the patch is live.

Kudos0

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/liveupdate-22120104-sucks#comment-7820311

" Hi PhoneMan

The problem "be Flawed Update delivered by LiveUpdate"(FUddLed).

(perhaps combine this with: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recent-update-disabled-firewall)

Thanks, PhoneMan, your insight that AUTOMATIC LU seems to be on hiatus but interactive LU works may be what is meant by "randomly selected customers"--those are the ones chosen! I've been se-ee-elected three times this past week.

The workaround I've used for this FUddLed is:

Un-install save settings, but my ISP, CenturyLink, installs version 22.5.2.15 from summer 2015, my saved Subscribed/30days free install gets version 22.9.0.71 from summer 2017. I have AutoLU disabled from my habit on narrow band that my TIME was measured and it would waste my network cost and I had gotten a previous FUddLed that took 2+ week to resolve, on Dial-up.

I'll give AutoLU a chance to run and see if it moves me through 2017 versions that were stable and stops at the penultimate version before this Winter 2018 Firewall Freezing FUddLed. Lets call it the Manual (deliberately idle) Automatic LiveUpdate. I'm at 22.9.0.71. I'll see what happens. It will take longer than the one hour that Edit This Post allows.

This describes the incompleteness of LU feature:

Quoted from: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/liveupdate-missing-forward-past-feature

Every time

As is our standard practice, we are deploying the patch in a phased manner. We have released the patch to randomly selected customers, and will then monitor our telemetry, as well as this forum, for any problems or issues.  Once we have confirmed the effectiveness of the patch, we will make it available to all customers. We will post an update on the Norton Community Forums when we make the patch available to all customers.

goes South as in:

Those randomly selected (drafted) customers faced with the "FITZALL" solution, uninstall/re-install, cross your fingers that they are not randomly selected over and over when updating from the broken patch (of program/engine) or defective definition file. Norton already has

the

"Purloined Letter" LU pause/resume,

and

the "Purloined Letter" "Proprietary" turn off AutoFix from fixing definition files/folders that are NOT corrupted that were user restored from back-up or Windows Recovery.

Give U$, the u$ers, an interactive LU choice to ROLL BACK an update of definition files or program patch AND set a BTDT "randomly selected" OPT OUT of the PUPpy.

Consider this in the spirit of the NETWORK COST AWARENESS feature.

"Forward to the Past" is my anti-paraphrase of the "Back to the Future" franchise "

and the next post:

"I set LiveUpdate to Automatic with Idle time set for one minute and automatic task delay set for four minutes. The Win 7 desktop did nothing for over an hour. The Win 8.1 laptop did nothing for over two hours, I hadn't powered it on since mid October.

The laptop had the red check mark that definitions were out of date. It remained that way while I did over an hour of interactive LU and restarts on the desktop, therefore the update server was on and working.

I surmise that "random" works this way.

New subscribers or re-install for existing subscribers DL & install the stable release before the Work-in-Progress Build. Those installations get the most current protection updates. When those are 5 days old the red check mark appears because automatic is turned off at the server, unless the WiPB  is pulled before the 5 days are up.  (Also credit the insight from Peterweb in this post:  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recent-update-disabled-firewall, about the phased timing protocol of released [escaped] and pulled [captured] WiPB)

Here's how I figure this out:

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2291-product-update-available-now --The usual:

" 3. How can I manually install these patches? "

" This patch is only available via LiveUpdate, and is being released in a phased manner. You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version. "

"...only...You may need to run LiveUpdate"

That means interactive not automatic.

If it doesn't come by automatic LU, that implies that automatic is OFF for delivering the WiPB and PROTECTION files. Subscribers can un-install and re-install the stable version and may be able to restore by the Purloined Letter method. Partner Subscribers, who get Norton included in an ISP service, my case with CenturyLink, as stuck with installing a Release-Build that is much older and the Purloined Letter method will not work.

I shall call 800-471-2658 to request that CenturyLink At Ease provide me with the 25 character product key from CLAE technical support to get Norton Subscriber Installer while the one on their server is so way out of date so that I get what is advertised."

I think the moderator should combine the topics

J

Recent is 6+ weeks ago, and counting?

Kudos0

I notice on Action Center Windows Firewall & Norton Antivirus both report that they are turned off. My Antivirus is OK as i have the green tick. I use Windows 7. Some times the Action Center say everything is OK, then when i next go onto my computer it's turned off again. I been down to my local computer shop and they say everything is OK as long as the Antivirus is working. 

I done many full scans and everything is good, but I'm still concerned about security on my computer. Any help Thanks

Kudos0

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.