• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security always asking for Restart after Live Update

Using a new Dell XPS 13, Win 10 64 bit, all Windows Updates current. Computer came with McAfee - used McAfee removal tool to remove it and install Norton Security V 22.23.0.104. After every Live Update, it always asks for a Restart. I uninstalled Norton Security with the Norton Uninstall tool and reinstalled Norton Security with the same result - always requiring a Restart after Live Update. Norton Security scans without problems. I have manually updated virus protection from the Norton Security Center with the same result - "Restart Now"

One more odd item - I have Chrome set as my default web browser but Norton would not connect to the server to activate my subscription until I switched the default web browser to Explorer,

Any help would be appreciated as to how to fix the constant "Restart Now" after Live Update.

Labels: LiveUpdate

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security always asking for Restart after Live Update

Additional comments:

I have "Fast Startup" disabled.

When I go to the "?" icon in Live Update, it will not connect to the Norton Server with my default web browser set to Chrome but it will connect to the Norton Server with Explorer set as the default browser.

Kudos0

Hi Gaspasser78,

As a starting point, do you have Fast Start disabled in WIN 10?

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

Kudos0

Yes, Fast Start is disabled.

Clearing Chrome's browser cache took care of the problem with Chrome as the default browser.

Kudos0

Hi all,

Same issue as Gaspasser78. I have a new Dell XPS 8930 that I have been running for several weeks without issue. Fully updated Windows 10, used McAfee removal tool to remove it and immediately installed Norton Internet Security with Backup. No issues for several weeks. Only in the pasat couple of days, when I have update to the latest North Update (22.12.0.104) and the most recent Windows 10 Update (KB4058258) did I start to have Norton Security always ask for a restart after a LiveUpdate. Even if there were not updates installed while running LiveUpdate, it still wants to do a restart. As well, Windows Security Center will say there is an issue with the Firewall and Network Protection.

I have disabled Windows 10 Fast Start. Uninstalled Norton Security, ran Norton Power Eraser, ran Norton Remove and Reinstall. Still the same issue.  When I run Norton Autofix, it says that there are 2 fixes that require a restart - a repair to Installation and a repair to LiveUpdate. Still the issue persists and running Autofix again does not resolve the issue. I feel like I am caught in a Groundhog Day loop.

Not sure what to try next.

Kudos0

And to add to the mystery. I have another computer (Asus KB501UB laptop) that I don't use as often. Updated to Norton Security 22.12.0.104 with no problem and no LiveUpdate restart issue. However, I can't get the Windows Update KB4058258 to install. Even after restarting a number of times and trying to install, there's an error and it won't install. Which leads me to believe there might be some interaction between that Windows 10 Update and the latest NS update that is causing this issue.

Kudos0

Hi Solidac,

Having read about your woes trying to install the latest Microsoft update (KB4058258) I read up on the Windows 10 forums and you might want to read the article I will try and copy paste into this reply. One issue says although you get an alert that the update fails you are in fact updated, if you check the version number of Windows 10 afterwards. This article should explain.

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/103483-cumulative-update-kb405...

Hope this might shed some light on your problem

Regards

Kudos0

Like Solidac, I have a new Dell XPS 8930, one week old today. I’m running Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates and Norton 22.12.0.104. Late last week I too started seeing the repeated requests for a restart as well as the Windows Security Center indication of a problem with the Norton Firewall and Network Protection. Removing and reinstalling Norton did not resolve the problem.

I contacted Norton support and was told that there are problems with 22.12.0.104 and work is underway to fix them. But there was no estimate of when that might be finished. I was told that I’m fully protected, once Live Update shows no more updates to apply.

Since speaking with Norton support, I’ve found that Dell Support Assist System Info shows the Windows Firewall is enabled but the Norton Security Firewall is not. It also shows that On Access virus scanning is enabled for Windows Defender but not for Norton. However, I do see a message from Norton when I download an executable file.

So, I suspect I’m protected one way or the other. But I’ll feel much better once 22.12.0.104 is fixed or replaced with a new version. Hopefully that’s soon. It’s already taken longer than I would have expected.

Kudos0

I had not thought to check the Dell SupportAssist info, like CFH_NOLA did. When I did, I have similar results displayed. While everything looks normal in Norton Security, (all features showing on/green), the Dell SupportAssist shows that not everything is working as it should. Here is a screen shot of what is shown by the Dell tool. Obviously, something is not working right with this install of Norton Security.

Kudos1 Stats

On my Dell XPS 8930, I ran the Norton Remove and Reinstall and and it is at version 22.11.2.7. Everything is running as it should and no issues. I am going to avoid running a manual update that might bring me back up to 22.12.0.104. I am too afraid that if it does, I will have the same issues again.

Kudos0

OMG thank goodness I have found this thread. I have a brand new HP Omen received today that is doing the exact same thing as OP. I have tried everything to resolve this. OP pics look familiar? I hope we get a fix ASAP!

Kudos0

Solidac:

On my Dell XPS 8930, I ran the Norton Remove and Reinstall and and it is at version 22.11.2.7. Everything is running as it should and no issues. I am going to avoid running a manual update that might bring me back up to 22.12.0.104. I am too afraid that if it does, I will have the same issues again.

I just did this and its working perfect again. You are a saint! I was absolutely going insane over this. Until Norton can fix it. Do what Solidac suggest. Norton also needs to pull this update because of the problem. 

Kudos1 Stats

Hi brummie,

When I checked the version number of Windows 10, it did not apply the update and was still at the old version number. After several other attempts, I finally came across a suggestion to do an in-place upgrade of Windows 10, as there seems to be a corrupt file sitting around somewhere. When I did this, the issue was resolved and the update worked.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Solidac,

That's great you managed to fix it and thanks very much for letting us know.

I have earlier today disabled my Windows update because I am reading from a few sources that the latest one has caused some problems. Happy days eh!

Regards 

Kudos0

Anyone from Norton comment on this? Others? Because once this update is pushed and the masses receive it. Going to be a lot of upset people including me. I don't want to run into this problem again when its eventually pushed to everyone. 

Kudos0

Norton admin staff are aware of the problem. The thread Hot Issues and Fixes (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/hot-issues-and-fixes) lists the repeated restart issue as the second item under Hot Issues and has a link to this thread. The first item under Hot Issues is also related to discussion in this thread as it deals with Windows Firewall showing Norton disabled. The second of the two threads linked there (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/recent-update-disabled-firewall) is particularly relevant. In it, a Norton admin indicates that an announcement will be posted there when a fix becomes available. So, I’d suggest monitoring that thread and the Hot Issues and Fixes thread for progress reports.

I’ve been concerned that in reverting back to 22.11.2.7 I’d be missing some important fix or new feature implemented in 22.12.0.104. I found a description of the changes in https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2212-product-update-available-now. Having seen that, I feel much better about staying with 22.11 until 22.12 is fixed. 

But I am concerned about the length of time it’s taking to get it all straightened out. The 22.12 Available Now thread was first posted on December 27. That’s 46 days ago. And 22.12 was first pulled back due to problems on January 19, which is 23 days ago. Even if what’s at stake is relatively minor, taking that long to fix problems in security software is not encouraging.

Kudos0

Wow is this a rare problem or something?!?! 

Kudos0

After installing on a new computer running the latest Windows 10 Pro version,  I get through all the live updates till I get to after 22.12.0.104 is on and it looks like maybe another update trying to apply, it gets the restart button. Over and Over and over.  I tried to uninstall and do a clean install, even tried the Norton uninstall tool.  As soon as you get back up to this update you are stuck in the restart hell of Norton.  it also displays" A previously installed update is awaiting restart" How to fix this?

Kudos0

Just checked my other device (all Windows 10 Pro 1709) and all have this same issue, now on restart 22 since this occurred.  

Kudos1 Stats

Me and others have reported this to Norton. I even advised them to pull the update because of this. THEY ARE NOT LISTENING! Luckily someone posted a band aid fix for now. Run the Norton remove/reinstall tool it has the previous version. DO NOT run live update manually after install or it will pull down that faulty version AGAIN. 

See here on me reporting the same issue.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-always-asking-res...

Kudos0

All: Disable "fast boot" on your Windows 10 devices and reboot. Also make sure you are logging into the system under an administrator account. Here is how to disable fast boot: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.248 / NSBU 22.12.0.104 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Mine is disabled, has no affect on this issue.

Kudos0

Fast boot is disabled for me as well under Windows 10. No change in what it does with this bug. 

Kudos0

I get this warning repeatedly on all my NS 22.12.0.104 systems..  It's annoying, but I just close the warning windows and get on with business.  I presume they'll get this bug stamped out in the not-too-distant future.

-- Jim

Kudos1 Stats

i been on the phone with several different Norton tech experts???? for over three weeks now, the tech staff level 1 and tech staff level 2 are completely clueless - it is software bug that Norton that they can not find let along fix. it my be months before any thing happens - i am moving on to 'real' av software that works.

Kudos1 Stats

sit back and join the ever larger group of Norton uses that do not understand WHY Norton does not fix this bug. i have been waiting over 4 weeks now - had 7 Norton tech staff remembers on my p/c to TRY to fix it - but not one of these highly paid tech knows what they are doing - no fix - if i was you move to a different AV product(one that works).

Kudos2 Stats

It appears this problem has been resolved. I saw on the Hot Issues and Fixes thread (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/hot-issues-and-fixes) that the problem with Windows Firewall showing Norton disabled had been fixed. It still lists this thread as one still outstanding. But I decided to take a chance and see what happened. If it didn't work, I was ready to install a different security suite.

To make a completely clean start, I uninstalled Norton and then installed it once again. The newly installed version was 22.12.0.104. I then manually ran Live Update. It installed a number of items as well as a patch, but did not require a reboot. I then ran Live Update a second time. It showed nothing new to install and again did not ask for a reboot. 

I then did the same thing on my laptop with the same results - other than the first Live Update there didn't require the patch step.

I should note that I installed the latest Windows updates this past Tuesday on both my desktop and laptop. I can't say that those updates and/or the complete uninstall and reinstall is required to fix this. But I'm good now having done those two things.

Kudos0

It's been pushed to everyone. At least, I assume it has because it's been pushed to me and I've had 3 support staff take over my PC over the last week or two to try and "fix" the problem by repeatedly removing and then re-installing the software. All goes well until LiveUpdate downloads the dodgy upstate that makes a mess.

I even asked the last one not to simply repeat the steps of the previous one, but their lack of manners and listening ability apparently knows no bounds. When the bleeping bleep are Norton going to actually fix the bug? Norton? Helllooooo?

PS Oh yeah - I'm also using a Dell machine, AlienWare brand Mini Desktop gaming PC (Aurora R7). I find it disturbing how little the support chaps know, and how long it is taking for a security company to fix flaws in its own software.

Kudos0

I would echo CFH_NOLA's findings. The problem seems to have been resolved for me. I was away for the weekend and found that Norton had updated to 22.12.0.104 in my absence and was giving me the dreaded restart issues after every LiveUpdate, along with a red X in Windows Defender Security Center. So seeing this post, I decided to once again run Norton Remove and Reinstall tool. This time it indicated that it was going to reinstall 22.12.0.104, not 22.11.2.7 as before. Holding my breath, I ran it all and when the computer restarted, I ran the LiveUpdate manually and had a patch to apply, which I did. Rebooted the computer again for good measure. Have now been running like this for 24 hours and no issues. Everything is showing up green checkmarks in NS and Windows Defender Security Center. I can run manual LiveUpdates and it won't ask for a restart for every update like it did before. Whatever patch was applied, seems to have done the trick.

Kudos0

Since the start of this thread, there have been many comments.

Today, I removed Norton Security (again) and ran the Norton Removal & Reinstall Tool (again).

At this time, Norton Security is not asking for an update after every Live Update so I consider this problem solved.

Whatever problem that has been plaguing Live Update seems to have been fixed.

Kudos0

That sounds very encouraging - but I'm a little bit cautious because:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/hot-issues-and-fixes

is still listing 2 problems as outstanding, and one of them is the LiveUpdate Restart issue.

I don't doubt it's now working for you, but if Symantec has FIXED the problem entirely, and tested it, why have they not updated the thread about it?

I've been told they will contact me when there's a fix, and that hasn't happened either. Just... I guess I don't want to go through their hoops AGAIN only to find out that it's not fixed for ME :(

Kudos0

I don't doubt it's now working for you, but if Symantec has FIXED the problem entirely, and tested it, why have they not updated the thread about it?

It is possible that they are still monitoring the telemetry to ensure the issue has been fixed before they update the hot  issues thread.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Extremely plausible - though generally I'd prefer they were cautious before (instead of) causing problems, rather than with the fix.

Anyone else willing to weigh in that the problem is fixed for them now? (I'd rather use YOU as guinea pigs than myself, obviously).