• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Change in Chrome toolber

I installed Norton Security on a brand new W10 PC yesterday.  The interface to the vault from the toolbar has changed.  There is no longer a "Vault is Open/Closed" button in the toolbar.  Also what you see when clicking on the Norton Identity Safe icon (upper right corner on Chrome pages) has changed,  For example there is now a menu of sites instead of the Norton Identity Safe logins page.  In a chat today with Technical Support, I was told that's the way it works now, and there is no document /site describing how these changes work.  Is anyone else seeing these "navigation" changes? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Change in Chrome toolber

Hello David What version of Chrome do you have? The latest version has changed the UI so what you are seeing I believe is normal. I'd like to check documentation on your version before saying anything definite.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.248 / NSBU 22.12.0.104 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

SoulAsylum - Thanks for your reply.

My Chrome version info is:

Google Chrome is up to date

Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am quite sure the behavoir I described in my initial post has nothing to do with Chrome and everything to do with Norton Security latest download/install software.  I'll appreciate any information you can pass along. 

Kudos0

Hello David

Before you installed Norton, did you check for any free trial security programs which might have come with your new computer? If there are any, you have  to remove the trial using the removal tool from that other company.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.12.0.104 Core 226 I E 11
Kudos0

Norton Fighter - I uninstalled the McAfee package that was pre-installed by Dell before the download/install of Norton Security.

Kudos0

David. Keep in mind that "stable channel" versions are nothing more than a BETA that has been tested but not in the real world environment. IE is now the ONLY browser where the vault will remain open when the browser is closed. That is a default set by the Chrome developers not Norton. Have you performed all the steps in the article below?

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v58055475_EndUserProfile_en_us

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" Windows 10 Professional x 64 Fall Creators Update version 1709 / build 16299.248 / NSBU 22.12.0.104 Traditional / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

David,

Please tell us what the extension version is for Norton identity Safe.  Is it by chance 5.2.0.19?

If so, be on the outlook for a new Product Announcement in the near future.

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs

Kudos0

SoulAsylum - Yes, I performed the steps in the article you mentioned.  I installed the Toolbar in Chrome on my new laptop after the download/install completed.  It's the navigation using the Toolbar and the Norton Identity Safe icon that have changed.  It would have been a lot easier to understand the new features if Norton had written an article or sent an email explaining what was happening.  Norton Identity Safe on my other PCs still shows the "Vault is Open/Closed" button on the toolbar, while the new PC does not have that button.  It was confusing enough that I spent about an hour in a Support Chat trying to understand the toolbar and icon changes.  My other PCs have now changed (apparently through a Live Update) the way the Norton Identify Safe icon dropdown in Chrome displays the list of Vault contents.  I suppose the "Vault is Open/Closed" button will disappear from the toolbar on the older PCs with a future Live Update.

Kudos0

yank/Norton Fighter - Yes, the Chrome extension version for Norton Identity Safe is 5.2.0.19 on the new PC., however the same version number is also installed on an older PC the still shows the "Vault is Open/Closded" button in the toolbar.  So I have different Chrome Toolbars with the same extension version number.  That's more confusion coming from Norton in my view.  It's about time Norton documented these changes.

Kudos0

I believe the change (no toolbar) only occurs after a fresh install of Chrome - still awaiting a Product Announcement.

Kudos0

however the same version number is also installed on an older PC the still shows the "Vault is Open/Closded" button in the toolbar.

On this PC, do you also have an ID Safe version 1.0.5 showing? That is the version that shows up in the Toolbar. Or it used to. 

Yank may be onto something with the comment on new Chrome installations. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

yank - Seems that it would be appropriate for Norton to release the Product Announcement BEFORE they release the product!!  It definately was a fresh install of NS that brought this confusion to my attention.

peteerweb - Where can I find the version  of NIS?

Thanks guys for your participation in this discussion.

Kudos0

Where can I find the version  of NIS? NS? (*)

Correction in the quote is mine.

Click your Norton UI > click Help – On the left hand side of the new window, scroll down to the bottom of GENERAL INFORMATION, click About and your current version will appear.  

Hope it helps.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 64.0.3282.119 | NS 22.11.2.7
Kudos0

To find the Chrome Extension: Icon circled in red will provide the drop down and then select Manage Extensions

Next on Extensions list i shows Norton Identity Safe (version in blue circle), you can then select Details (in red circle) and the bow will pop up and once again show the version.

Kudos0

yank - Thanks for the version navigation tips.  Here are the version numbers I currently see:

Desktop (Norton Security not recently downloaded):

Norton Identity Safe (not enabled) 5.2.0.19

Norton Identity Safe (2) (enabled) 1.0.5

Norton Security Toolbar (enabled) 2017.12.0.5, Toolbar displays "Vault is Closed"

The desktop is not auto-filling at this point.

Laptop (Norton Security recerntly downloaded and installed):

Norton Identity Safe (not enabled) 5.2.0.19

Norton Iderntity Safe (2) (enabled) 1.0.5

Norton Security Toolbar (enabled) 2017.12.0.5, Toolbar displays "Vault is Open"

The Laptop is auto-filling at this point.

Both PCs have the same version of Norton Security - 22.11.2.7.

In summary, both PCs are showiong the same version numbers, and both are showing a "Vault is Open/Closed" button.  The toolbar button was not on the Laptop toolbar yesterday.  i suspect Norton is releasing Live Updates that change the settings.  Both PCs remain live overnight.  Bopth PCs downloaded one Live Update just now. The similarities and dissimilarites are very confusing and dfifficult to explain.  Is this information helpful?

One thing I am anxiously awaiting is the same NS/NIS behavior on all 3 of my PCs.  Thanks for your continued interest.

Kudos0

Maybe a restart helped  show the vault open/closed  on the toolbar. 

As you have Win 10 on the new system, I would suggest turning off the Fast Startup feature. It may be causing some of your trouble.  If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

Kudos0

peterweb - I turned off Fast Restart in my desktop and my laptop that has the recent Norton Security download/install.  I doubt I will see a difference with Fast Start off, since I rarely power down my PCs.  I almost always leave my laptops charging overnight so updates will occur in off hours.

Right now I am using my new laptop with the recent Norton Security download/install.  I cannot open the vault.  The NIS Toolbar has reverted back to the "Vault is closed" icon.  Clicking on "Vault is Closed" brings up the NIS Logins list I am used to seeing for a long time.  Oops, suddenly the "Vault Closed" page appeared in place of the NIS Logins list,  I did nothing to make the vault login page appear - it  just popped up from nowhere.  I have been experiencing this erratic behavior of the "Vault is Closed" button since I installed Norton Security on Tuesday (today is Thursday).  Right now when I click on the Norton icon in the upper right of the Chrome screen, I see a "Norton Rating Secure" display.  Yesterday, clicking on the Norton icon displayed a new format of the contents of the vault.  I cannot explain these strange behaviors, but it sure would be nice to see Norton finalize this new vault behavior, and document it first so we at least have a chance of understanding the new vault screens behavior.  I am very frustrated with the way Norton Security has behaved on the new Laptop over the last 3 days.  I have used Norton Security and its predecessors for many years, and never before have I experienced such an unpredictable mess.  Yo Norton, let's get this software working consistently again.

Kudos0

Daviddubya:

peterweb - I turned off Fast Restart in my desktop and my laptop that has the recent Norton Security download/install.  I doubt I will see a difference with Fast Start off, since I rarely power down my PCs.  I almost always leave my laptops charging overnight so updates will occur in off hours.

From the link peterweb provided in regards to Fast Start on WIN 10:

"Windows programs often require a complete shut down and restart to update running system files. With the Fast Start feature enabled, this may not get done properly."

The same is true for antivirus programs - they need a complete shut down in some cases to complete updates. We have seen Fast Start cause problems in the past, as well.

@peterweb  FWIW, I just uninstalled Chrome and then reinstalled it and I still have the NTB.

Kudos0

peterweb - What is NTB???  Thx.

Kudos0

Hello

Norton Toolbar

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.12.0.104 Core 226 I E 11
Kudos0

folplot - Thanks.  I saw that spelling error after the Edit time had laspsed.  Oh well.

Kudos1 Stats

Has anyone heard when the revised Norton Toolbar and vault will stop changing in the way we use it?  I have seen several versions in the past few days.  Any word on a How To article for the changes that have already been implemented in NIS?

ps - I do not like the new vault password behavoir at all.  I'm being asked to input my vault password way to often.  Bring back the day when I could open my vault and simply use the auto-fill feature.  I'll close my vault when I decide to close my vault.

Kudos0

ps - I do not like the new vault password behavoir at all.  I'm being asked to input my vault password way to often.  Bring back the day when I could open my vault and simply use the auto-fill feature.  I'll close my vault when I decide to close my vault.

Norton is aware of users requests for more control over the time out of the vault logins.  Changes have been suggested for future versions.

Kudos0

An update - Today I had a phone conversation with a member of the Norton Escalation Team.  The rep agreed that Norton Security on my new laptop is behaving abnormally when viewing the Norton icons in Chrome in the upper right corner.  Chrome displays 2 Norton Identity Safe icons where there should be only one.  I also experience abnormal behavior at times when opening the vault in my Chrome browser.  The rep took some screen images and is referring my case to engineering.  I'm not imagining the weird issues I have seen.

Kudos0

Is this what you are seeing? If so, click on each and you will see they offer different options. Not sure why they would not just combine the two.

Kudos0

peterweb - Yes, your screenshot is what I see.  The display of two NIS icons makes no sense to me and to the Norton Elevation Team rep. If "Vault is Open" button displays in the Chrome Norton toolbar, the left icon winds up on a NIS page in the Chrome Store, and the right icon displays a list of the Vault contents.  I think Norton should remove the left icon since there are other less confusing ways to get to the Chrome Store.  

Kudos0

This might be a good suggestion for the Product Suggestions board https://community.norton.com/forums/product-suggestions

But as of this time, there is nothing wrong with your installation.

Kudos0

I use Chrome, but there is no Toolbar ever.  Also, have Norton WiFi Privacy but now it won't let me view websites in the U.S.  Seems like Norton is not working well.  Can't find Chat or a phone number for help.  I'm so tired of it.  I probably won't find this forum again.

Kudos0

I just found Chat.  But too sleepy now.  

Kudos0

Hope Norton emails me when and if they respond.

Kudos0

iammaxtwo

If you are asking if Norton Chat will email you, no they won't. Norton no longer does support via email.

Have you checked that you have a Norton Toolbar extension installed in Chrome, and enabled. If you do, look for a little black Norton icon at the right of the Chrome address bar. Click on that to display the Toolbar. If you have recently installed Norton and or Chrome, you may no longer be able to install the toolbar extension. Browser manufacturers are moving away from toolbars and Norton is follow that with Chrome.