• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Clean Storage Issue Resurfaces

I am experiencing an issue with the Norton Clean and Junk Removal app. I have been using this app for quite some time. Today when opening the app, I noticed the issue on the main screen. My internal storage is currently 57% full. 9.23GB of 16.00GB is occupied. However, the screen on my Norton app is showing 32% full, with 3.2GB of 10.0GB occupied. Until today, the screen was reporting the figures correctly, at 57%, 9.23GB, and 16.00GB. I am unsure what has changed since yesterday to cause the figures to report incorrectly. I tried rebooting the phone, but this did not correct the figures. Any assistance and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Clean Storage Issue Resurfaces

I have had a discussion with my Norton contacts on this question.

Apparently in your case, Norton is reporting total user memory, without including memory reserved for the OS. On your device it would seem that 6GB are reserved for the system.

The explanation is that Norton uses a programming API to access the information from a devices system. Different device manufacturers return different values, possibly due to proprietary changes made to the Android OS. So Norton can only report what the device reports. The difference between what Norton Clean reports and what the device reports in Android settings is attributed to the device's OS has better access to the system resources to report the correct amounts.

As it is really only the user accessible memory that is of any use, what you are seeing is actually of more use than seeing memory shown that is not available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Thank you, peterweb, for your response. That, however, would not explain why prior until today, the figures matched up exactly with those on my phone. Why would those numbers suddenly change in the last 24 hours? I have not changed anything on my phone.

Kudos0

Peterweb-- I think I may have found the answer to my issue. The Norton Clean & Junk app I use offered an update yesterday and I ran the update. Now that I have the updated version, the numbers on Norton no longer match those on my phone. Is there a way to correct this so it is accurate as it was before?
Kudos0

No way to go back a version. As you noted the new version uses the newer API to gather the information, and changed the behavior.

As long as you know that you have 10GB available to you, that is really all you need to know. The other 6 GB is for system use only, so nothing you can use there.

Because of my discussion with Norton, they are aware of this. Maybe in the next version they might be able to find a way to go back to the old method. Although that method was not perfect either. Many users reported that Norton Clean was showing double the installed memory. 

What device are you using? As I noted, this is somewhat device dependent. I have 2 phones, One shows the total installed memory, and the other shows only the user accessible memory. They are from different manufacturers.

Kudos0

This is confusing to me, for I don't understand technology well. However, I do understand the principle in your explanation. When I found the original posts from June of 2017, the same issue was reported. Today during my experience, I wondered if the same issue had returned. It wasn't until later that I remembered the update yesterday. I have an LG Aristo MS210 phone, but none of the other updates to this app have caused this issue. I wish to thank you very much for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Kudos0

Hallo together from Austria, yesterday it`s coming an update with the versionsno: 1.4.0.59, before the update i had  37% used space, after the update i have 22% used space. I will send you two screenshot. Ok ! Hello Peter i have understood !! The update was coming from the Google Play Store !!

LG

reini_1, Salzburg, Austria

Friday, 9th of February 2018 4:46PM  (  UTC+1  );

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (32), Browser: IE11 (mit allen aktuellen Updates); Office 2010, System tagesaktuell gewartet ; Norton Security ( 22.15.0.88), Norton Mobile Security ( 4.2.1.4181 ), Norton Clean ( 1.4.1.61 ) - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge ( 7.0 ) Android ; You`ll never walk alone !!
Kudos0

Hello together, the new version will kill my photos, so i have the photos saved in the device.

Now  Norton Clean cannot access to my photo.  I hope that a new update repaired this bug.

Cheers and have a nice Weekend !!

reini_1 from Salzburg,Austria

Friday, 9th of February 2018  8.47PM  (  UTC+1  );

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (32), Browser: IE11 (mit allen aktuellen Updates); Office 2010, System tagesaktuell gewartet ; Norton Security ( 22.15.0.88), Norton Mobile Security ( 4.2.1.4181 ), Norton Clean ( 1.4.1.61 ) - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge ( 7.0 ) Android ; You`ll never walk alone !!
Kudos0

reini_1 

Were you storing your photos in a non standard location? If so, where were you saving them?

Where did you move the photos to protect them?

Kudos0

I noticed the same thing on my LG phone. I even uninstalled & reinstalled the app to see if that would change back to the old display. Now I found this thread. At least I know that it isn't an issue with my phone, just a change in the way the available storage is calculated since the latest update for Norton Clean.

Kudos0

Hello Peter,  I have saved my photos in internal memory, i send you a screenshot to see this !!

Is it ok for you ? Thanks ! Here are my photos sure from "Norton Clean". Norton Clean cannot kill  my photos now !!

Cheers

reini_1

Sunday, 11th of February 2018 3:50AM  ( UTC+1  );

Kudos0

reini_1

Norton Clean should not remove any photos from your devices. Did you lose any photos? Were they from the camera, or screenshots, or downloads. I have all three and just ran Clean and did not lose anything. I have not move my photos from the default location.

Kudos0

@Peter, i have my photos in the gallery and the new version of Norton Clean have killed it. So i have my photos saved in a cloud ( dropbox ) so i can get back my photos to my computer and then to my device. I lose no photos, because the photos was save in the cloud dropbox !

And now it is ok ?

LG

reini_1

Sunday, 11th of February 2018  4:55AM  (  UTC+1  );

Kudos1 Stats

reini_1

To confirm the info in your forum signature. This is on a Samsung Gallaxy S6 Edge with Android 7? 

I'll pass this on to the team.

In the mean time, can you take some more photos for testing that will be saved to the gallery, then run Norton Clean again to see if they are removed? Before you tap on the removal button, tap on the Junk files list to see if the photo gallery is listed as an item to be cleaned. If it is, you can uncheck that  item and they should not be removed.

Kudos0

Hello @Peter, the photos are in the gallery now , and when Norton Clean ist working all is OK !! Yes my device is Samsung Galaxy S6 edge  with the OS 7.0 Android !

Norton Clean is working, but my photos in the gallery stay alive. Not killing now it`s good.

I thank very much you for your work.

Kindly regards

reini_1 Salzburg, Austria

Sunday, 11th of February 2018 5:44PM  (  UTC+1  );

Kudos0

reini_1

Just keep an eye on things and if it does remove photos again, let me know and I'll get the team on it.

Kudos0

@Peter, I do it !! Many thanks !

reini_1

Sunday, 11th of February 2018 8:20PM  (  UTC+1  );

Kudos0

@Peter, today no problems with the "Norton Clean" !! Everything is ok ! All my photos are in the gallery !

Cheers

reini_1

Monday, 12th of February 2018 11:38AM  (  UTC+1  );

Kudos0

All: Storage issue with latest version Norton Clean on my Galaxy Note 4 as of today as well. Please refer to screenshots of Clean and my device storage assessment. Numbers aren't even close to being correct.

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.228 / NSBU 22.15.0.88 / Norton Core v.260 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

SoulAsylum

From your devices information. Total Storage is 32 GB. If you take off the 23.5 GB shown in Norton Clean that give the 8.5 GB for your devices system use. OS, system files and apps, etc. 

If you add the 8.5 to the 6.8 shown as used in Clean gives 15.3 which is what your device shows as used.

My first post in this thread explains that this is due to the programming API Norton is using to get the memory information. Different manufacturers apparently report memory differently. Some include the system memory, some do not. 

The main take away is that Clean is showing you information on the memory you actually have access to, whichever method is used. In your case, both ways show about 17 GB available.

Kudos0

peterweb. Forgive the harshness, but I can also put numbers together. API or not the numbers do not reflect  accurate accounts of actual internal space used nor the amount of space free. Android reflects accurate numbers per my screenshots ,Clean should report the same. Simply put from my view.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.228 / NSBU 22.15.0.88 / Norton Core v.260 / Norton BETA tester

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.