• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

What does online/offline mean?

I have Norton Security that includes five devices, any combination of computers and smartphone, up to five.

I go to https://my.norton.com/devices/home/list to manage my devices and I see an indicator whether or not the device is online or offline for each device.

I see that my computer is online and my smartphone is offline. So, I go to my smartphone and login using the Chrome App to the same place (https://my.norton.com/devices/home/list). I am thinking, my phone must certainly be online now, But I see that my phone is still offline. So, I am thinking of online as meaning turned on, connected to the Internet, browsing, and the Norton Mobile Security App active. In this sense, if my smartphone is still offline, I don't know what online could mean.

I try Norton's locate feature for my phone. Works instantly. How could it work if my phone is offline?

So, I am thinking either online/offline indicator does not work properly (i.e. has a bug), or online/offline means something else.

What does online/offline mean on https://my.norton.com/devices/home/list ?

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: What does online/offline mean?

Your idea of what online/offline is correct. If the device is turned on and connected to the internet, it is online.

The web site has has issues over some time now with the online/offline indications not updating as quickly as it should.

As you found, you were still able to locate the device.

I would not worry too much about this particular indication. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

I see what you are saying, not to worry about the online/offline indication. I think you explained well what I was wondering about.

Kudos0

That is all because of loc settings, yes? 

Kudos1 Stats

JordanCollins:

That is all because of loc settings, yes? 

If you are referring to the devices not showing the online/offline correctly on the Norton Account website, not necessarily. If a device never shows online, it could be the Remote Management setting in your Norton product on that device. It it works sometimes, it is a problem of communication between the device and the web page. It could be anywhere from your computer, to any of the internet servers between your computer and the Norton Servers. Or it could be an issue with the Norton Account web page.

Kudos0

Wow....

This really pinpoints the issue...leads to a quick and i might add Easy solution ;>  _- ' stack of Bool S.

"If you are referring to the devices not showing the online/offline correctly on the Norton Account website, not necessarily. If a device never shows online, it could be the Remote Management setting in your Norton product on that device. It it works sometimes, it is a problem of communication between the device and the web page. It could be anywhere from your computer, to any of the internet servers between your computer and the Norton Servers. Or it could be an issue with the Norton Account web page."

Basically what  your saying is that it doesn't work and is unreliable !

Kudos1 Stats

Basically what  your saying is that it doesn't work and is unreliable !

Most times it does work. But for reasons only Norton can figure out, there are some times where it can take some time to sync with your device.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.