• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton toolbar in firefox

Have just installed Norton on my PC and can't see a way to enable the Norton toolbar in Firefox. I followed the instruction Open menu>add-ons> extentions> but there is no sign of Norton add-ons or extentions?

How do I get the Norton toolbar to show in Firefoxs?

Thanks

Labels: Windows 7

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton toolbar in firefox

Hi AI 69:

The Norton Security Toolbar for Firefox was discontinued in Norton v22.11.2.7 (released November 2017) because of Mozilla's requirement that all browser extensions in Firefox v57 and higher (i.e., the new multiprocess Firefox Quantum) must be developed with the WebExtensions API.  See the Feature Changes section of the product update announcement Norton 22.11.2 Product Update Available Now as well as well as the Norton support article Cannot Find the Norton Security Toolbar in Mozilla Firefox.

The new Norton browser extensions for Firefox are now available on the official the Mozilla AMO store (addons.mozilla.org) at:
     Identity Safe:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-identity-safe/
     Safe Search:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-search/  
     Safe Web:      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/ (includes Norton Safe Search)

If you install the new Norton Safe Web v2.6.1.8 please note that site rating icons are no longer displayed in Google and Bing search results.  If you want to see see Norton's site rating icons in your search results you must now use the bundled Norton Safe Search as your search engine.  See the thread Norton Security Toolbar as Legacy Extension in Firefox for further feedback.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104

Kudos0

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Much appreciated. Am I correct in thinking that Firefox is still protected by Norton even if there is little evidence to show that on the Firefox pages. I see a Norton Safe Search box in the top right of the screen which at present is showing a ? with the message 'page not analysed'

I tried the links above and when I try to download I see a red symbol with a bar across it in Firefox and the message that I must download Firefox to install it. I have the latest Firefox Quantum installed and see the message that Norton Safe search is not compatible with Quantum.

Thanks again.

Kudos1 Stats

Al 69:
...I have the latest Firefox Quantum installed and see the message that Norton Safe search is not compatible with Quantum.

Hi Al 69:

Sorry, you're correct.  The Norton Safe Search v1.0.1.5 (rel. 16-Jan-2017) extension at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-search/ says it's not compatible with Quantum, and the change log confirms it's only compatible with FF38 - FF56.  I use the latest Firefox ESR v52.6.0 (extended support release) which hasn't been upgraded to the Quantum engine yet and didn't notice that caveat when I tested it in my own browser.

As far as I know the Norton Safe Search built in to Norton Safe Web v2.6.1.8 should work correctly with Firefox v58.0.2.  Click on the Norton Safe Web icon in your browser and that should give you access to a working Safe Search.  If you want to use Safe Search as your default search engine you should also be able to configure that in your Firefox settings at Options | Search.

Al 69:
I see a Norton Safe Search box in the top right of the screen which at present is showing a ? with the message 'page not analysed'

From the support article Norton Safe Web:

Untested (gray question mark [?] icon next to search results or in Norton toolbar)
Norton Safe Web does not have enough data to analyze the site; it is recommended that you do not visit this site.

There is also a known bug where the home page / landing page always displays this grey "?" when Firefox is first launched.  See Bug in Norton Safe Web v2.3.0.24 for Firefox - Grey Icon on Landing Page.

Al 69:

...Am I correct in thinking that Firefox is still protected by Norton even if there is little evidence to show that on the Firefox pages.

The main Norton v22.x product provides real-time browser protection (Settings | Firewall | Intrusion and Browser Protection) to protect you from drive-by downloads of malware if you visit a malicious website that tries to exploit a vulnerability in your browser, even if you don't have the Norton Safe Web extension installed in your browser.  See the support articles Browser Protection and Intrusion and Browser Protection Settings.

According to the support article Cannot Find the Norton Security Toolbar in Mozilla Firefox, the Norton Safe Web extension will display a page block notification if you browse to a phishing site or site infected with malware, but I'm not certain how much that differs from the built-in phishing and malware protection in Firefox (see the Mozilla Firefox support article How Does Built-in Phishing and Malware Protection Work?).

The new Norton Safe Web for Firefox extension is of little use to me now that site safety icons are no longer display in my Google search results - see my comment in CurrentR's thread Bring Back Safeweb Icons for Google Search in Firefox - Please Reply.  None of the Symantec / Norton employees had the courtesy to responds in that thread so I've disabled Norton Safe Web and am currently testing some of the other alternate extensions mentioned in that thread like Bitdefender TrafficLight, WOT- Web of Trust and McAfee WebAdvisor (previously known as McAfee SiteAdvisor, Win 7 and higher only).
------------

Kudos0

Again many thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Very much appreciated. I too have seen no response to questions put to Symantec. I have just installed Norton and removed F Secure which was nearly three times the price but did not cause too many issues other than the occasional false alarm.

Kudos0

Hello

Did you use the Removal Tool from F Secure before installing Norton?

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

floplot:

Did you use the Removal Tool from F Secure before installing Norton?

Hi floplot:

F 4 E already provided a link to the F-Secure removal tool in Al 69's thread Changing to Norton from Another Product.
------------

Kudos0

Hello lmacri.

I was asking Al 69  who is a new Forum user as well as a new Norton user. It isn't known if Al 69 had looked through the Forum and had used the Search function to find the link for the Removal Tool. Since he was a former F Secure user, he probably knew the link for the Removal Tool, however I was trying to find out if he had used it before installing Norton. Many new customers to Norton have not known to use the Removal Tool of their previous security program.

Thanks, though, for providing the link for the Removal Tool for F Secure.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

Yes I used the removal tool when Norton told me another AV was found. I had already stopped F Secure Safe in order to download and install Norton in as short a time as possible. I read in a computer mag some time ago that a new PC they had set up to check for on-line viruses became infected within 10 minutes!

After using the removal tool I had a message from F Secure to say thanks for using F Secure Safe.

Thanks to all again.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.