• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Google Chrome Critical Error

I opened up Google Chrome today and was presented with a red screen with the text below:

==========================================================

Machine generated alternative text:
Google Chrome Critical ERROR
There was a dangerous try to get an access to your personal logins & bank information.
Luckily, your Firewall managed to block this suspicious connection.
We recommend you to freeze your accounts until some measures will be taken.
There is a great threat of leaking of your personal data.
So, you need to respond swiftly!
Trojan Virus may have already hurt your hard disk and its data.
That is why we are checking and verifying your current system security
Do not waste your time and consult one of our service centers or call us.
Contact Number: +1 (888) 563-5234 (TOLL-FREE)
Your urgent response is needed.
To deal with this problem, contact our network administration.
Call Help Desk
+1 (888) 563-5234

====================================================================

There is no indication where this is message is from or where the "Help Desk" is.  Has anyone else seen this?  Without more information, I'm not inclined to call the number.  I performed a Norton Power Eraser scan which completed with errors, but seems to have stopped the Help Desk screen from coming up.  I'd appreciate any information you might have!

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Google Chrome Critical Error

I am fairly certain that is a scam. Google would not give you a phone number to call because of some infection on your computer.

This sounds like you ran across a malformed ad or some bad code on a site you were visiting. You can help avoid this kind of scam by restricting JavaScript in your browser(s), and or installing an ad blocker extension in the browsers.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I am getting the exact same message; red screen, white text, toll free number to call. This only started after I updated Norton last night. I have received this error on two different online discussion forums. I must say it seems pretty coincidental that I upgrade my security software and then almost immediately my browser starts getting hijacked.

The link can be seen in my attachment.

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/google-chrome-critical-error-browser-hijack 09 Mar 2018

Google Chrome Critical Error Red Screen Scam 

Kudos1 Stats

See my post above yours. It is a scam that gets delivered to your browser from some malicious JavaScript code on a web site you are visiting.

Disable JavaScript in your browser, or install an ad blocker.

Kudos1 Stats

A bit more information about my experience may be helpful.  The screen appeared immediately upon opening Google Chrome.  Firefox is my primary web browser.  I only use Chrome in places where I must use cookies.  I use MSN.com as my home page in both Firefox and Chrome.  Comments that the issue is with a JavaScript code on a site being visited don't seem to apply to me.  I hadn't been any place yet with Chrome and Firefox did not have the same issue moments later when going to MSN.com.  It may have been as long as a week since I had used Chrome when this happened.  I didn't think to include the URL in my screen grab....DUH!  Sorry.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello All

A Google search of the given telephone number shows many different listings reporting that this is a scam and not to call that number. Each listing seems to have had many posts according to what was shown in Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1+%28888%29+563-5234&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos1 Stats

I use MSN.com as my home page in both Firefox and Chrome.  Comments that the issue is with a JavaScript code on a site being visited don't seem to apply to me.

Not necessarily. The loading of the MSN.com for your home page can trigger the JavaScript on some ad on the MSN site, triggering the immediate redirect. 

Kudos0

I don't come here often enough to know how it works, but I did have this red screen problem this morning.  Has anyone figured how to eliminate it?  Any idea if Norton has addressed it as a problem?  Any idea how it got through my Norton firewall?

thanks,

nick

Kudos0

nickva0517

Did you try the suggestions I posted twice already in this thread?

Norton is not detecting this because it is just a browser redirect caused by some JavaScript on a web page you are visiting. JavaScript and redirects are common on many websites. Norton sites use redirects for many pages. Nothing is getting downloaded to your computer, so scans have nothing to detect.

Kudos0

Hello, Peterweb.  Thanks for the reply and means of correction.  I will give it a try. 

I did read your replies to the others posted before mine, but since none were showing as a Solution, I wasn't sure what was up.  The initial posting still shows a solution is needed, so ...

Glad there are folks like you that will take the time to help the rest of us.

nick 

Kudos0

Sometimes a user will post a question, we make suggestions and we never hear back. We do not know if the suggestions worked, or they gave up.

Then other users may post in the same thread, as you did. But only the original poster can mark the thread solved. We still try to help all that come here.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.