• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Chrome 65 update: disappeared Norton toolbar

Updated to Chrome 65.0.3325.146 and no more Norton Toolbar!!!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Chrome 65 update: disappeared Norton toolbar

Hi @noghere,

Could you check and confirm your Norton Security Toolbar version number? Is it 2018.13.2.22?

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Updated to Chrome 65.0.3325.146 and no more Norton Toolbar 2018.13.2.22 I re-installed all the extensions and same result ! looking at the extension detail ,support , around 104 people have the same issue.

Kudos3 Stats

Norton!  Are you listening?

Give us back the Norton ID Safe and Tool Bar auto-filling our login combinations which have stopped working since the most recent product update to v 22.2.1.15.  This was a big feature of the product.  WE WANT THIS BACK; to work in Firefox, IE, AND GOOGLE CHROME.

Kudos0

Mohan_G:

Hi @noghere,

Could you check and confirm your Norton Security Toolbar version number? Is it 2018.13.2.22?

Yes, it is 2018.13.2.22

Kudos0

mine is also missing since yesterday afternoon. It was there in the morning, but disappeared later on. The toolbar appeared after opening a second tab, but nothing today.

It still works in Windows Explorer vers. 11.251.16299.0

Kudos0

I'm seeing almost the same problem but the Norton Toolbar has not stopped working completely.  It just doesn't display automatically when opening a web page.  But if I click the Norton icon (top right of Chrome window) the toolbar reappears.

I'm running Chrome 65.0.3325.146, NIS 22.12.0.104, Norton Toolbar 2018.13.2.22, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Kudos0

Hi everyone, 

A latest version of Norton Security Toolbar (2018.13.2.22) for Chrome has been released to address a few bug fixes. With this update, the Norton Security Toolbar will be hidden by default.

For more information: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-toolbar-201813222-chrome-0

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

What a crazy change!!!  Why hide the toolbar?  When I visit a web page I want the reassurance of seeing "This page is safe" or "This page is secure" on the Toolbar immediately, without having to click the icon to display it every time.

Please, please remove the default hiding, or at least introduce an settings option so users can chose between "hidden" and "auto-displayed".

Kudos1 Stats

If you choose to enable/view the Norton Toolbar, that setting will remain for future uses of the browser. You only have to click that button once.

One reason for hiding the toolbar is that some websites were coded in a way that when the toolbar was displayed, the page content did not get moved down. Those web sites had their login link at the very top of the page and the Toolbar would hide the login link. So you would have to close or hide the toolbar to log into that web site.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Sorry, peterweb, but your statements that "the the setting will remain for future uses" and "you only have to click the button once" are simply NOT true.

The icon has to be clicked to re-display the Toolbar on every web page visited.

Kudos0

kencl:

YES, it is so: every time every page... 

And some saved logins no longer work (autofill)  in some sites and you have to fill by manual typing.

Kudos1 Stats

When I click on the icon the toolbar doesn't appear at all - useless!

And still no fill assistant!

Gets worse by the day.

Really getting fed up with Norton and I have been a customer for years!

Kudos0

peterweb:

One reason for hiding the toolbar is that some websites were coded in a way that when the toolbar was displayed, the page content did not get moved down. Those web sites had their login link at the very top of the page and the Toolbar would hide the login link. So you would have to close or hide the toolbar to log into that web site.

A really funny reason... because you have the button  ^  on top-left to hide the Norton Toolbar. 

Kudos1 Stats

OK ... I think im going to uninistall Norton for good . 

This has been a bad week for updates for me, all were awful .  I wish developers would leave stuff alone .  Their so called "improvements" rarely are . 

Now Chrome wont even close properly, there are 8 instances of it running  .  

Screw you Norton and good bye . 

Kudos0

kencl:

Sorry, peterweb, but your statements that "the the setting will remain for future uses" and "you only have to click the button once" are simply NOT true.

I apologize for my incorrect statement above. I made a rookie mistake of assuming it worked the way it had when I first hid my Norton Toolbar with a previous version.

You are correct in that it is hidden unless you click the button. And I have found that even that does not always work.

Kudos0

Mohan_G:

Hi everyone, 

A latest version of Norton Security Toolbar (2018.13.2.22) for Chrome has been released to address a few bug fixes. With this update, the Norton Security Toolbar will be hidden by default.

For more information: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-toolbar-201813222-chrome-0

Nice, but NOT ENOUGH.  When will Norton Identity Safe FILL-IN our username & password combinations when signing into saved logins for sites?  IN GOOGLE CHROME?  (and also in Firefox).

This is a big important now missing feature for many Norton Security users. 

Norton, are you listening? 

Kudos0

Hello

Is it possible to find Feedback? If so, then you could fill in your complaints in that and the Team would see the complaints. I can't tell you that they would do anything about the complaints.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

wonder what happened to my post from yesterday...

Did have a link at one stage that someone gave me, but can't find it unfortunately

Kudos1 Stats

I had to unistall Norton as Identity safe was making Chrome launch 11 times and it would not close when quit, plus it began crashing every extension .   Disable Identity safe and its ok but enough was enough . 

Please test your **** before dishing it out . I dont think this release could of had any testing .  Below is what happens when Chrome is closed .  Identity safe does this . 

Kudos0

Is it possible to downgrade Norton Identity Safe from 5.2.1.2 version to  1.0.5 version?

Kudos0

If you no longer have version 1.0.5 in your Chrome extensions, then no. It is no longer available for download.

Kudos0

peterweb:

If you no longer have version 1.0.5 in your Chrome extensions, then no. It is no longer available for download.

If you want to "utilize" (laughably stated) the Norton Vault feature with your Chrome browser then it's a forced upgrade which by design is unavoidable...

Essentially you are given 3-days warning about the pending forced upgrade replacement. During that 3-day period you can sidestep the count-down warning notification and continue to use the "functional" Vault interface extension. After the 3 days your only choice is to allow the forced upgrade.

At that point you're relegated to using the poorly functioning replacement extension and the prospect of having Chrome always running the background (so long as you wan't to avoid having to re-log into your Vault constantly).

One would have thought/hoped that the Norton programming team responsible for the new supplant would have (at the least) tested/verified that the previously implemented (by the Norton support team) v1.05 website interfacings would still work under the updated extension replacement - but alas, that is obviously not the case...

Kudos0

At that point you're relegated to using the poorly functioning replacement extension and the prospect of having Chrome always running the background (so long as you wan't to avoid having to re-log into your Vault constantly).

Not totally sure of what the results I see mean when allowing the background tasks to run in Chrome. Just using Task Manager, I do see a reduction in Chrome processes, and resource use, when I close the browser with the background tasks running. These images show my Chrome processes while the browser is running, and with the browser closed. BTW I have 15 browser tabs open for this information.

And yes, the ID Safe vault remained open through the close and reopen of the browser.

Chrome browser open

Chrome browser closed with background apps enabled.

Kudos0

The re-log is one problem, the other one is the autofill not working...

Kudos0

the autofill hasn't worked for me on some sites for months. No action, although reported. Have resorted to using Windows Explorer for all my log-ins. This works perfectly and the toolbar is also visible - at the moment anyway

Kudos0

vienna10:

the autofill hasn't worked for me on some sites for months. No action, although reported. Have resorted to using Windows Explorer for all my log-ins. This works perfectly and the toolbar is also visible - at the moment anyway

Yes, but here we are talking about Chrome 65...

Kudos0

As of this morning local time things are even worse for me as the Norton Security Toolbar doesn't appear anymore, in no page.
The Norton icon at the right of the address bar doesn't show anymore the thin green line at the bottom which when clicked would make the toolbar appear. Boring since this had to be done on each page but it was better than nothing....  Now nothing at all  

Anyone else facing the same?

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

For me it is working. Clicking the Norton icon at the top right the toolbar appears (Chrome 65).

Kudos0

same here - only works very occasionally

Kudos0

In my case it looks as a different issue. As said in my previous post, the toolbar always used to appear following  the above instructions by Mohan_G but it doesn't anymore since this morning local time (now it is 2:49 PM here).

I cleared the cache, rebooted a few times but to no avail.

Kudos0

Rainbow_2:
The Norton icon at the right of the address bar doesn't show anymore the thin green line at the bottom which when clicked would make the toolbar appear.

I've seen this effect occasionally when first starting Chrome - no green underline on the Norton icon.  I've found if I open a new tab in Chrome the green line appears in that tab and the icon functions correctly.  Then just close the original tab.

Kudos0

kencl:

I've seen this effect occasionally when first starting Chrome - no green underline on the Norton icon.  I've found if I open a new tab in Chrome the green line appears in that tab and the icon functions correctly.  Then just close the original tab.

It is not exactly the same in my case since it always appeared following the instructions by Mohan_G as per my previous post.  However when it did not appear at all this morning, besides the attempts mentioned in my previous post I also tried what you are suggesting, again unsuccessfully though.

Thanks for trying to help.

EDIT to add the image of what I am seeing since this morning:

Kudos0

kencl:

Exactly the same here. 

Kudos0

Hello Rainbow

Check to make sure you have the correct extension enabled. If that doesn't help, you could try uninstalling Chrome, then reinstall it and get the extensions if need be. Perhaps back up your Chrome profile first and bookmarks.

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

Hi floplot,

Actually I do have the correct extension enabled although I did not mention it explicitly, as per my above posts:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7852531#comment-7852531 & 

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7852381#comment-7852381 &

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7852321#comment-7852321

which refer to Mohan_G post https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7848581#comment-7848581 

Thanks for trying to help.

Kudos0

Hello

Perhaps this will help.

Please see if this will help.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v125566167_EndUserProfile_en_us

I think this might have more information. I don't use Chrome, but I am trying.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

I'm so glad I uninstalled  Norton  .   It came off cleanly so kudos to them for that .  

As for the recent change  to having to re enter the password 100 times a day or leave your chrome history open to everyone and all ..   I am glad I  took   another security provider up on their offer  of 2 years for 1  ,  and plus their wallet works on every site I use .  Loving it . 

Kudos0

Good news! When I switched on my machine this morning  the toolbar re-appeared!   I have no idea what did the trick, anyway I am glad it did and hope it will continue like that.

@floplot  Thanks for your continued offers to help but I do not use Norton Identity Safe and never used it.

Thanks again to all who tried to help. 

Kudos0

I have all the extensions installed in Chrome 65, but every time I open Identity Safe in Norton Security I get a pop-up saying to update the extension even though it is the lastest version already. I have uninstalled both using the Remove and Reinstall tool and just a remove and reinstall from scratch but the issue does not stop. After three "remind me later", it creates a continuous loop. This is the biggest disaster Norton has created since my days with DOS.

Kudos0

Rooster66

When you see the prompt again, click through as if you were going to set up the extensions. That will bring you to a page where the extensions are listed. Just going to that page will not change any settings. Then just close that page, and hopefully Norton will not as you again.

Kudos0

Hi Rooster66,

Because the Chromium browser extensions now work (somewhat) independently of the main Norton installation, you may find it useful to address them separately from the main product.

Try using the following actions...

1) Open/start your Chrome web-browser and navigate to the Extensions Manager...

2) On the Installed Extensions page, locate the listed Norton Extensions (enabled or not) and select the Remove option on each.

3) Close and reopen/restart your Chrome web-browser.

4) Use your Chrome web-browser to navigate to the Norton Browser Protection website:

https://identitysafe.norton.com/client?&flowType=hardened&lang=

5) One by one, select each desired Norton Chrome extension (of the 4 offered) that you want installed in Chrome - being sure to follow the Chromium extension activation prompts/instructions for each when presented.

Please let us know if taking these actions resolves your "...but every time I open Identity Safe in Norton Security I get a pop-up saying to update the extension..." quandary.

Best Regards

Kudos0

Same Norton Identity Safe Extension version (5.2.1.2), but different icons in Toolbar in Chrome (you have to click to know if the page is safe) and in Firefox (you can see the green icon). I really don't understand....

CHROMEFIREFOX

Kudos0

Sorry avjohnnie, went 5hrough all your steps but the problem is still there and in the main Norton Security under Identity Safe it says "configure" Chrome which opens Chrome and says it upgraded the extension but stays in the loop forever.

Kudos0

Sorry avjohnnie, went 5hrough all your steps but the problem is still there and in the main Norton Security under Identity Safe it says "configure" Chrome which opens Chrome and says it upgraded the extension but stays in the loop forever.

You can ignore the 'configure' notation beside Chrome in the main Norton Security screen. When Norton went to the newer extensions, they seem to have forgotten update the interconnect between NS and the Chrome extension.

Kudos0

Rooster66:

Sorry to hear that...

There seems to be a number of different factors at play regarding the recent updates as to how well they work / integrate with various user installations and system configurations. I guess I'm fortunate in that the Chromium browser extension transition went well for me; though I am very disappointed in how poorly the new extension handles what were previously working website logins - about 60% of my previously working logins no longer work under the new extension - and then there's the added misfortune in knowing too that Norton has a long-established history of slow response to these login/fill problems; sometimes taking several months before delivering a remediation.

The only other suggestion I can offer you at this point would be for you to consider contacting the Norton product support team for assistance in getting the updated extension working properly with your Chromium / Norton Security product installation.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/contact

Best of luck!

Kudos0

I've just "upgraded" to the new version of Identity Safe, having got to the "One day remaining" point on the Upgrade prompt when logging in to the old version.  The upgrade process did not go well.

After following the process through, I had the new version installed, with the Vault icon showing beside the Toolbar icon.   I clicked on the icon and logged in to the vault OK.  But I then found that the Toolbar icon no longer revealed the Toolbar (even though the icon was supposedly "active" with the green underscore).

I then closed Chrome and re-opened it.  The Toolbar icon now worked but the Vault icon had disappeared.  However, the Toolbar still contained the button for the old version of Identity Safe.  I clicked that and the old version opened.  I then checked the extensions in Chrome and found that the upgrade process had not removed version 1.0.5 and I had both old and new extensions installed.

I manually removed the old version.  The Toolbar Vault button disappeared but the new version icon did not reappear, even after trying disabling and re-enabling the new extension, restarting Chrome  and even rebooting the PC.

So I removed the new Identity Safe extension, went here:

https://identitysafe.norton.com/client?&flowType=hardened&lang=

and manually re-installed it.

Finally, I seem to have both the Toolbar and Identity Safe icons displayed and they both appear to work.

Along the way, I noticed (as others have) that the so-called Upgrade process had enabled Chrome to run in the background, with a Chrome icon appearing in the systray area.  I clicked that and turned off the background option.  I don't see the point of letting Chrome continue to run just so that the Vault remains open.   To me, leaving the Vault open is a security risk  - I always close it after use.

As per my earlier post, all this with Chrome 65.0.3325.146, NIS 22.12.0.104, Norton Toolbar 2018.13.2.22, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Kudos0

Although this thread has gone quiet, I thought I would update my last post having now had a couple of weeks experience of using the new Vault. On the plus side, the new version of Identity Safe does seem to be more successful than the old in identifying the login fields on login pages where the username and password prompts are soft-coded in the user input boxes rather than hard-coded alongside them. An example is the current eBay login page - the old version would not auto-fill that page but the new version handles it OK. That's the end of the good news Otherwise, I find the new version to be an ergonomic mess. It's real pain in the butt, requiring many more mouse-clicks to use. Opening the old version required just one mouse-click to get to the vault password prompt, the new version requires two and now, rather than throwing up a password window and then conducting the login dialogue with the vault server in the background, the process now requires a new tab to be opened in Chrome so the user can enter the password directly into the vault. That just wastes time. Similarly, closing the old version took two mouse-clicks, the new version requires four. The new version does not auto-fill login pages, instead it offers the login details in a pop-up over the login fields, so the user has to accept the offered login before logging in. So, yet again, that's an extra mouse-click compared to the old version. But the real pain comes with launching a login from the displayed logins in the vault drop-down. With the old version, just one click would open the selected login page, auto-fill the username and password and then trigger the login process. With the new version, the first click does no more than open the chosen page - the user then has to click again to accept the offered login details and yet again to manually trigger the login process. Three mouse-clicks instead of one - that is not an improvement. This so-called upgrade puts the Identity Safe in the same bracket as the Google log-in. That used to take just one click to stop the login process remembering the login details. Now they are always remembered and it takes four mouse-clicks to "forget" the details when logging out. What is it with the modern generation of developers? Do they never sit at a PC and try using the mess that they have inflicted on users? Or are they in league with mouse manufacturers and doing all they can to accelerate mouse wear rate? Why is it that every supposed "improvement" to software makes me fell less like a User and more like a Victim?
Kudos0

A query re my previous post: why have all the paragraph breaks on my post been removed? As typed and saved, it was ten separate paragraphs - now it's compressed into a single paragraph. Is this another "improvement"? Edit: the same has happened to this one! Why?
Kudos0

kencl

Occasionally the forum editor can have a mind of its own. What browser are you using? Maybe restarting the browser will correct things.

Kudos0

No, I don't think it's a browser problem. (I use Chrome - hence the interest in this thread). When I saw what happened to the first of the two posts I made yesterday, I selected the "Edit" option and that re-displayed my post in it's original format with 10 separate paragraphs. I saved it again and once more it was compressed back to a single paragraph. So I think it's an issue with the forum. The other thing I've just realized is that all I'm seeing as I enter a post is a basic Comment box - there are none of usual option buttons displayed above it. To check I will follow this post with one using IE. (Note: as entered, this post has three paragraphs.)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.