• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

WIndows Update KB4090913 & NSBU

Cumulative Update KB4090913 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.251 - Mar. 5

I got this update on my Laptop but it is not being offered on my Desktop.

This reg key is missing on my Desktop so it looks like I will have to AGAIN re-install Norton. I have spend more time fixing these Norton update problems then actually doing anything else. Thanks Norton - NOT.

Both systems with NSBU 22.12.1.15.

Unhappy Camper.

Jim

Replies

Kudos0

Re: WIndows Update KB4090913 & NSBU

Krusty13:

Yes, same here.  It seems to be deleted after almost every shutdown on my machines.  If it is only needed for update to Windows it is easy enough to add on the day.

I'm over it!

Yes, this reg key is only needed in order to receive updates from MS.

Quoted from MS:

Note: Customers will not receive the January 2018 Windows security updates (or any subsequent Windows security updates) and will not be protected from security vulnerabilities unless and until their antivirus software vendor sets the following registry key:

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”

Data="0x00000000”

Kudos0

PhoneMan:

Three Windows 10 ver 1709 systems. NSBU 22.12.1.15 on all 3. I checked this morning and all 3 were missing the key. Norton Automatic LiveUpdate does not work on any of them so this is the same status I checked last night. I ran a manual Live Update on each. Now the key is there....

... Sorry but I cleared my LU history but it was mainly just definitions

Hi PhoneMan:

I don't know the mechanism Symantec (or Windows Update) uses to check if the QualityCompat registry key has been created, but I came across a McAfee KB article Meltdown and Spectre – McAfee Product Compatibility Update for their business / enterprise products that states:

"The DAT adds the check for the registry key, and sets it if it is not present. Customers who have already set a registry key should not have any issues."

That suggests to me that McAfee performs an automatic check for the required registry key each time a new virus definition set delivered.  I don't know why your registry key is disappearing on some of your machines, but that might explain how it's re-created if Symantec runs a similar check when the daily SDS definitions (or some other definition set) is updated.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB v3.3.1

Kudos0

All: Below is a screenshot of my installed updates on my personal laptop with NSBU 22.12.1.15 installed. My two AMD machines are similar with windows updates, ALL machines have the required registry setting installed. Live Updates work as advertised on all machines, automatically and manually. No registry cleaning software installed on any machines

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD” Data="0x00000000”

FWIW-On my intel based laptop I originally had 22.12.1.14 because LU downloaded it before it was pulled from the server. The AMD machines had been sitting on 104 with LU disabled as we are investigating issues. I updated the AMD machines last night, multiple reboots since to test for the registry entry disappearing. All machines are good now on 22.12.1.15 NSBU. ALL are x64 machines. One other thing of note is previous version folders were removed on all machines. Wondering if the folder cleanup is the difference between a working install and a bad one at this point. See second screenshot.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.134 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

I have the registry key as of this evening (UK), I manually downloaded the two windows updates.

Am running 22.12.1.1.15 on Win 10 Pro.I did update to the .14 version but restored windows from a system image due to the problem of it deleting tasks.

I also run CCleaner pro.

Virginia/Twilight Princess. Windows 10 Pro 64bit, iPhone X, iPad Pro 9.7".
Kudos0

Sunil_GA:

Hi @Krusty13 & @PhoneMan,

Can you please provide below details? 

- Registry key mentioned here is getting deleted on every system restart with Norton Installed?

- Running Norton LiveUpdate is adding the registry key back?

Hi @Sunil_GA,

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when the key gets deleted.  It could be as you say.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

Krusty. Have a look at the "permissions" set for the registry key if it is present. These are the permissions for my laptop.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.134 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270
Kudos0

PhoneMan:

I used NR&R tool advanced option to un-install Norton. Then went to my Norton account and downloaded and install NSBU 22.12.0.104 and still the Reg key was missing...

Hi PhoneMan:

Further to my previous comment <here> about virus definitions and creation of the required QualityCompat registry key, here's some further speculation.

It's also possible that some manufacturers like Symantec, Malwarebytes, etc. automatically remove the QualityCompat registry key when their product is uninstalled or the user runs their automated removal tool like MB-Clean or the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool.  This would avoid a possible scenario where the user permanently removed Norton (which is compatible with Microsoft's January 2018 Meltdown and Spectre patches) and installed another third-party antivirus that is not compatible with Microsoft's January 2018 Meltdown and Spectre patches, causing their machine to BSOD.

If my line of thinking is correct I don't know if a Norton uninstall would need to remove the QualityCompat registry key on a Win 8.x or Win 10 machine when the built-in Windows Defender AV should be automatically re-activated, but anything's possible.  I also wonder if a Norton product update from v22.12.0.104 to v22.12.1.x includes some clean-up routine that removes the QualityCompat registry key.  That could create a serious problem if your Automatic LiveUpdates aren't working after a product update and you need to update your virus definitions to trigger the creation of the required registry key.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1

Kudos0

Hi @PhoneMan,

Please let us know if registry key is still missing with Norton Security latest version 22.12.1.15 installed with current LiveUpdates applied. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

SoulAsylum:
Krusty. Have a look at the "permissions" set for the registry key if it is present.

Unfortunately the key is AWOL again on this machine but I'll check it next time.

On a brighter note, Auto-Protect is no longer grey on this machine.

Kudos1 Stats

Yes I have NSBU 22.12.1.15 and system was off overnight. On my 1st boot today the key was missing. After a Manual LU (Automatic LU does not work) I got the following updates and the key was back. This has happened in the past also but only on the 1st boot of the day.

How does Norton set the key. Is it the SDS Definitions as I always get that one on the 1st boot of the day.  Sometimes when I shutdown the system during the day the key is gone and LU does not find any updates. I will have to keep a closer look at the events to see what affects the key.

Key came back after this LU.

Does not always work. On my other system the 1st LU did not restore the key but a later LU did.

Kudos0

Sunil_GA,

Here is my log filed you requested.

Key was present before Shutdown last night and gone on boot today.

Jim

Kudos0

End of last week I opened a ticket with Norton Chat. I asked about the key and they did not know anything about it but wanted access to my system anyway. Not going to happen.

They sent the case to the next level.

Got a call last night from Norton Support and when I asked about the key they did not know anything about it but also wanted access to my system.

How are they going to check a problem they know nothing about. I told them to forget about it.

It seems that the missing key gets restored when I get a SDS update.

That would be fine if Automatic LiveUpdate was working but it is not on any of my systems.

Norton has my logs so I will leave it in their hands.

Jim

Accepted Solution
Kudos3 Stats

Looks like this key is a non-issue with the latest MS cumulative update KB4088776.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088776/windows-10-update-kb4088776

More research to see the affects going forward.

The key was set on one system and after the update the key is gone.

On another system the key was missing and I got the update so it did not require the key.

Jim

Kudos0

Getting those updates now.

Cheers

Update: KB4088776 is installed on my Intel machine. The QualityCompat registry entry remains.

Kudos2 Stats

As of March 13, 2018 Microsoft is lifting the AV compatibility check for the March 2018 Windows security updates for supported Windows 10 devices via Windows Update. We continue to require that AV software is compatible and in cases where there are known issues of AV driver compatibility, we will block those devices from receiving Windows updates to avoid any issues. Microsoft will continue to enforce this requirement for older versions of Windows until there is high confidence that the majority of customers will not encounter device crashes after installing the Windows security updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software

Jim

Kudos0

deleted by me.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

Not directly connected to this thread but also have had issues with WUDs. Running Windows 8.1 so update numbers slightly different but March updates include KB4088776. Have WUDs set to download & manual install. February included an net.framework 4.7 upgrade, postponed this till later, installed Feb main updates. Towards end of month went to install, it had gone, manually ran update, back again & installed. Few days late notification a couple of add-ons for 4.7 available. Next day went to install, gone again. March WUD's received Wednesday morning (UK), notification that pm, next morning & Thursday pm. Went in to install nothing there, previous Optional & Hidden had gone. Manual download & Install OK. Mentioned reg. entry stays put.

Booted laptop Wednesday pm so should have picked up WUD's. Booted next morning, no notification, WUD's had run on boot that morning but nothing available. Ran manual, 4 updates available, 2 had been downloaded, the other 2 not. Installed OK. Checked in history, Thursday pm showed a failure to install one of the those updates (other 3 not mentioned) although settings are for manual install. Does this perhaps infer February's Microsoft Updates are the cause of the issue. It appears, in my instance, WUD's check runs each day, if there are available updates, next run discards them. Hopefully MS KB4088776 has solved - will see next month.

Kudos0

My machines (now running Windows Defender) did not find KB4089848 until I manually added the QualityCompat registry key.  It seems this key is still needed after all.

Kudos0

Same on my systems

It won't hurt to add it and it will probably disappear on restart anyway. I am glad I saved that reg file.

Jim 

Kudos0

Yes, it did disappear on restart.  I see you posted about it on the MB forum.  I suspect MB somehow being involved here as I too have it set to NOT register in Windows Action Centre.

Kudos0

My Windows 8.1 retains the registry key. First boot of the day apparently runs WUD from WUD GUI. Variable results. Couple of times all Optional & Hidden are there, sometimes nothing there, sometimes some of them, same results on Desktop & Laptop. Task scheduler history gives 'Next Time Run' at set time pm with variable time early hours of morning history does not record am run but does pm run. Issue first noticed couple of days after installing February WUDs, installed Feb WUDs, deferred on one item that had moved from Hidden. Couple of days went to install, it had gone. Came back after manual run. Seems auto run of WUD check very iffy, manual normally brings them back until next am run, All this noticed prior to latest Norton Update (22.12.1.15), registry entry first appeared January so worked for Jan & Feb WUD downloads, went awry from then.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

Yes, it did disappear on restart.  I see you posted about it on the MB forum.  I suspect MB somehow being involved here as I too have it set to NOT register in Windows Action Centre.

Hi PhoneMan / Krusty13:

I ran a test today with my Vista SP2 machine and wasn't able to reproduce the deletion of the QualityCompat registry key so this issue might be unique to Win 10 Version 1709.

I've noticed a few glitches and apparent conflicts between MB Premium v3.x and Norton Security v22.x in recent months so I normally have MB Premium configured so that it doesn't automatically load at boot-up, but to try and reproduce your problem I tried the following:

• Changed Protection | Startup Options | Start Malwarebytes at Windows Startup from OFF to ON
  • Changed Application | Windows Security Center from the default "Let Malwarebytes Apply the Best Windows Security Center Settings" to "Never Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center"
  • Turned on Norton Security's Silent Mode and chose a 1 Day duration (i.e, to prevent Norton's Automatic LiveUpdate from delivering a SDS Definition update after boot-up and re-creating the registry key if missing)

I powered off and re-started my machine a few times and immediately checked my registry after each re-boot, and the required QualityCompat key was always present. My MB update package (virus definition set) was v1.0.4472 throughout testing so it doesn't appear that MB (or Norton) installed a definition update during my testing that could have re-created the key.

Please note that my Vista SP2 machine comes with the old anti-malware/anti-spyware version of Windows Defender (which does not load at boot-up) and not the full antivirus version that comes with Win 8.x / Win 10. The real-time ransomware protection in my MB Premium v3 is also "unavailable" (i.e., automatically disabled by default) since this MB feature is not compatible with Win XP and Vista.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * NS Premium v22.12.1.15 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CP v1.0.262)

Kudos0

Been keeping eye on WUD's in conjunction with Task Scheduler. Scheduler appears to run 2ce a day, once am & once pm, the am run appears the important one. Task scheduler will pm give a 'Next Time Run' early the following morning. although this to be random with a few hours spread. If I log in after that time, more likely than not, 'Optionals' & 'Hidden' will have disappeared. On the other hand, logging on before that time, WUD's works and pulls these up. Tested on Desktop & Laptop, both worked today at appointed time. Laptop worked 12:50 am today, desktop 7:50 am today, both as scheduled. Don't think I will be getting up in early hours of morning though, manual general works.

Did email my computer man (now ex as he has moved to Germany), I believe he is Windows 10 with no Norton, quote "Have had similar issues, and patience is the only thing that I have found to work". Issue started mid February after updating WUD's but before 22.12.1.15 update so I am pointing finger at Microsoft.

Kudos0

Another finger pointing towards Microsoft.(pointing perhaps wrong word now). Have Office Click To Run which up to and including November last year used to auto update in the background a few days after issue of WUD's. Since then had to manually update as auto not working. Checked in Scheduled Tasks, both items running OK with no errors. Found target .exe files, both were modified on 12th December, same date as December WUDs and Office update. More or less same effects as we have here with Windows Updates themselves, looks as though M/S up to their tricks again.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.