• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

'Upgrade your IdentitySafe extension' message - workaround

Hi everyone,

If you are facing the issue where Norton IdentitySafe repeatedly pops up up with the message 'Upgrade your IdentitySafe extension' (see below image) when accessing the vault from the Internet Explorer browser or the Norton product User Interface, Please see below FAQ & workaround -

Q: I have updated on Chrome but still can't open my vault on Internet Explorer - why?

A: We had an issue detecting the install status for our Chrome extensions for certain Chrome situations.  This would typically happen when you have used in the past or are currently using more than one user profile in Chrome.

We are working on a fix and will address this problem soon.  If you need to immediately work around it, you can consider the following steps:

1.  If you have bookmarks and extension installs you want to keep, back up your Chrome profile with the following steps:
    1. (Option 1: easiest option, requires a Google account): 
      •  Go to Chrome Settings, choose the Sign into Chrome option under the People section.
      •  Supply your Google Account information, turn on Sync
    2. (Option 2: more manual steps involved):
      • Launch Chrome with the user profile you usually use
      • Type “chrome://version” in the Chrome address bar
      • Find the Profile path shown.  Open Windows Explorer and browse to there – it may be           “C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1”.
      • Go up one directory, copy the Profile dir from the previous step and save it somewhere like Desktop.
  2. Uninstall Chrome with the following steps:
    1. On your computer, close all Chrome windows and tabs.
    2. Click the Start menu Settings item.
    3. Click Apps.  Under "Apps & features," find and click Google Chrome.
    4. Click Uninstall.
    5. Confirm by clicking Uninstall.
    6. Delete your profile information by checking "Also delete your browsing data."
    7. Click Uninstall.
  3. Re-install Chrome.
  4. If you did Step 1, Option 1 to sync your Chrome profile, sign into Chrome with the same Google account used to sync.
  5. If you did Step 1, Option 2 to back up your Chrome profile:
    1. Close all Chrome windows 
    2. Copy the saved Profile directory files saved in Step 1 Option 2 into C:\Users<UserName>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
    3. Launch Chrome – it should have all the browse history / bookmarks from the original profile.
  6. Install the Chrome extension upgrade if needed and try re-opening your vault – it should now detect the proper extension install state on your re-installed Chrome.
Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation

Replies

Kudos4 Stats

Re: 'Upgrade your IdentitySafe extension' message - workaround

Really ! So all your users are completely PC literate instructions to delete App Data well good luck with that one.

How about a fix as this issue has gone on for sometime not that anybody so far acknowledged it until now I'm guessing embarrassment at destroying an App that didn't need fixing, egg on faces, or perhaps head in the sand.

Here is my post after the the fatal Your Chrome extension requires an update you have three days then "Boom No Identitysafe"

Well that's worth bothering with anyway. March 9th 2018 and still no response to my dilemma thanks Norton !

So ...........

How to destroy a product send out an update that renders it nearly useless.

On the 9th of March tried to open Norton Identity Safe from the Norton Control Panel splash screen saying Chrome needs the Identity safe extension updating. Click button says update successful try to open from control panel again same screen, click update again successful. Back to control panel up pops same screen !.

I also use IE as Chrome is buggy on some sites but can no longer use Identity safe in IE as yep you guessed it up pops that update screen again.

Identity Safe in Chrome opens though? does it fill in users name and passwords NO of cause it doesn't ! 

on my machine I have loads of backup sets configured Files and folders backing up to different drives so very important to me and work. Would take hours of work to set up again.

so contact Norton Support on line made the fatal mistake of letting them take control of my machine.

Told him not to do anything that would delete backup set configuration.

That's OK he said they will still be there. I am trying to keep this as short as possible but I am fuming.

So Mr Support runs app that completely removes Norton Internet Security Premium from my machine.

Then re-installs guess what yep all my Backup set configurations have gone. 

he opens Identity Safe In Chrome says fixed just reboot your machine.

So reboot machine and same issues and NO backup sets configured !

I have emailed Norton in Reading with the problems I now have a week later No! reply.

Hey Norton any chance of a fix to the update that doesn't work and rendered Identity Safe almost useless

Have been a customer and used Norton for over 20 years first time that I will really consider if renewing my subscriptions are worth it.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/problem-identity-safe-following-chrome-toolbar-upgrade

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/you-need-change-identity-safe-bac...

Kudos1 Stats

I went through this process and I still can't open my vault in IE.  This is beyond annoying.

Kudos2 Stats

This is BS!  I am not going through all of those hoops for your incompetence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I work for a living!!!!!!!!!!

I pay my bills through IE, not Chrome, get it fixed or I'm leaving Norton!  There are plenty of free id apps out there, and plenty of other internet security options!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos0

Well the question is Who's done what ?

I have had the Identity Safe issue since 9th March have put my comments on the complete and utter sorry story of the downgrade Sorry Upgrade that Norton thought would make my experience so fantastic using Identity Safe. Its been something beginning with the letter F but fantastic is not my first choice of words as since the 9th March haven't been able to use it along with many others it seems and being told to remove Chrome to get it to work was the icing on the cake must admit that the meetings I have attended over this that one did cause a lot of laughter so thanks for that one Norton.

Back to "Well the question is Who's done what ?"

This Morning 25th March after a live update three updates installing. I tried Identity Safe and it opened from the Norton Control Panel tried from IE that opened as well so now for a login to a secure website nope no auto fill blank text fields.

But hey I can access my vault a start a least so my Norton Friends have you sent a sort of a fix out or have I just been lucky ?

If you have great if not how lucky am I :) but for how long is the million dollar question.

Kudos0

I think you are very lucky.  My Norton updated yesterday but I still can't open the vault in IE. Restarted the computer, still get the pop-up.  At least I can work in Chrome, but this is still a mess as far as I'm concerned.  Sometimes IE just works better.

Kudos0

Sorry to hear the workaround is not working for some customers - we had confirmed it resolving a number of other customers facing the same problem.  The key is to make sure that the active Chrome profile is the one in the "Default" folder.  We will have an update coming that more broadly identifies that Chrome Identity Safe extension upgrade has been done.

Regards,

Matt

Kudos1 Stats

what is wrong with you company ! was this some early April fools joke ! or in some room somewhere Norton though it had to many customers so this was a way to lose people ! I left trend micro for your company years ago for the identity safe , I'm very  discouraged your aware of the issues and seem to want to keep justifying what's happening . no one cares why you did something we all bought your product to simply one time sign in and not worry about it. if we all wanted to worry about what ever bs is going on in the back ground we would not pay Norton to protect us! hello your the internet protectors stop making excuses

resolve the issues or turn off the update , who thought up have your customers jump through hoops and it worst your work around does not work  

Kudos0

So that's the issue. Finally have time to come back to this.  When I reinstalled Chrome per the instructions, there was no Default folder created.  The new profile was created directly under User Data.

I have the previous Default folder I can copy back under User Data, but I'm not sure how to move the new profile under Default so that Chrome can find it.

Kudos1 Stats

This is ridiculous and the final straw for this product.  It hasn't worked reliably in any device for ages and now you want people to jump through hoops so they can continue using your damaged product.  No, thanks, you're not worth it.  

Kudos0

OK, I'm late to the game on this one.  Has the Chrome extension changed to the "web" interface and not the old add-on?  I pay for my Identity Safe as part of my Norton Security.  I know the "free" Identity Safe is all "web" but thought that the part of the purchased product wasn't changing.  Not a fan of the "web".  I do see that my IE browser still has the add-on.  Why not Chrome?

Kudos0

Hello ZbigniewG

Do you mean Identity Safe and not Norton Safe Web?

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Yes. I am very upset about this problem. Why they broke the good product. I used them to many websites. I had to reinstall Norton Security. The message disappear. I exported all my passwords. The message appear again and after ~3 days I cannot use Norton IdentifySave again. I will not recommend this program to anyone anymore!!! The people who work there are unreliable and unpredictable.
Kudos0

I am very angry! 4 years ago I bought the best antivirus - I thought - and every year I extend the licence for the next year. I received also good program to manage my web passwords. I started use them on IE11. Now I can not use them and easy login to many websites. With properly settings the IE11 can be very good web browser and I do not plane to change my habits. Rather I will remove your program. Of course, I have also Chrome with few profiles, but this extension I use in IE11. I am ready to not to extend the license for another year if you do not repair Norton IdentitySafe in next few days! The Microsoft Essential Security is also good. I will not plan to change anything(!) in Chrome settings. I do not need NIS for Chrome. I should have possibility to choose in which browsers I want to use NIS.
Kudos0

14 days since this "fix" was posted, is there any update on a proper fix for this?
Kudos0

Kudos0

Norton Identify Safe is included in commercial Norton products, but it was also available as free extension. Now it is not available:
https://safeweb.norton.com/
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v122745738_EndUserProfile_en_us
I downloaded it few years ago and still have had the install file.
Today I installed this stand alone Norton Identify Safe (without uninstalling Norton Security of course).
After that in IE11 second toolbar Norton Identify Safe appeared (one from Norton Security and second from this free stand alone product). On IE11 toolbar I switched off the first (from Norton Security) and now it works!

P.S. I also found the install file on the web:

[Admin Edit: Removed download link for older version of Norton Identity safe from third party website]

Kudos0

Hello

Safe Web and Identity Safe are 2 different things.

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I used option #1 to backup data, did the uninstall/reinstall, same results!

I tried again and this time I DID NOT log in to the Google account until after IS had installed with the latest version. After that I could access the IS console. I then logged in to my Google account (all settings were restored) and I could still open the IS console.

Hope that helps...

-Pete

Kudos0

This is ridiculous. I've been a long time customer and this situation is simply not acceptable. You have put out an update that has now made your product unusable to your customers. Roll it back and take another try when you know actually what you're doing. To break your product and then make your customers search to find out why suddenly their software isn't working is the poorest customer relations I've seen. And now to make those same customers jump through hoops and spend our valuable time to try and make what your company broke is again not acceptable.

My software has not been functioning now for a month. I can't log into my Vault now and it looks like all Norton is doing is giving us some vague promise of a solution in the future. How long? What date? When do I start getting what I've paid a lot of money for back. Because for the last month I haven't received what I paid my subscription for. It's not my job to fix the issues that you have now broken. I'm not going to spend my time trying to back up and delete my user profiles. I have two questions... When do I start getting what I paid for again? And how are you going to compensate me for making my Vault useless for a month and what looks likes a lot longer?

If we don't get compensated for this fiasco then i'll be taking my business elsewhere. You're not the only password protection out there now.

Kudos0

It has been patched, run live update. 

Kudos1 Stats

Coming back in to say that I did apply the update and now I can open my vault in IE.  Thanks!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.