• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos16 Stats

Wifi Network Compromised messages

Hi 

Have been receiving Compromised Network Message on my android phones since morning. I saw the thread on this topic that is now closed. Was Norton able to provide a solution? Logging onto the router only shows known clients. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Wifi Network Compromised messages

Came here for having this same issue after new router installation Motorola MR1900.  Android devices showing:

SSL Decrypting

An attacker is attempting to decrypt this
network and may view and alter your
communications.

I hope this gets resolved soon.  It's annoying and worrisome.  

Kudos4 Stats

There are tons of us getting this message. So far it seems that they are working on a fix. It is believed that it is a false positive on mobile devices (ie. Phones and tablets) the lines to call them have over a 2 hr wait time I'm guessing because of this. So there really is no point in calling them. I guess we just wait and see what happens. It's causing alot of people to freak out. I know I did. Went straight to panic mode. Started changing all kinds of things on my router and to no avail. It came back every time no matter what I did.

Kudos2 Stats

This is crazy. I'm getting the same thing. Just on my cell. I started changing stuff on my router and kept coming back every time. I'm glad this forum is here. No wonder there is such a long wait to talk to Norton. Everybody is calling them for the same reason. Hope they get this fixed fast. Had the same settings for almost 4 years and never had a problem until this evening. Ugh
Kudos0

thanks for posting your response!

Kudos0

Add me to the list too.  I have a Galaxy S6 with Norton Mobile Security (ver. 4.1.0.4061), Home wi-fi Netgear AC1900 router with all bands showing "Compromised network" - SSL Decrypting.  Started about 2 hours ago and no alerts on my desktop PC running Norton Security Premium.

Kudos1 Stats

It is great that I found this Thread. The messages just started happening today through the Norton Mobile Security App on my Samsung phone and tablet.

My "router" is the Norton Core which creates my two Wi-Fi Networks (2.4GHs and 5GHs) If these messages are legit, then why isn't the Core firmware detecting the Breach?

Kudos0

I am getting the same notification too. With this happening to other people is this a false positive, or a test to see how people react?
Kudos1 Stats

Hi

I am also getting the same error for last 1 1/2 hours here in India. This is 28th March 2018 Morning around 8:00 AM. The Warning I got on my Moto G4, but not on another phone which is Moto C Plus. Both phones are running Norton Mobile Security version 4.1.0.4061.  I did change my Wifi setting to be on safer side. Hope this is a fixed soon by Norton as this seems False +Ve.

Thank you.

Kudos0

Jerry, these are likely not 'legit' detections.  We have a bead on the problem, just no ETA on a fix.  I can assure everyone that it is being worked on in a rapid fashion.  Our response team is working on it.

I'm very glad everyone is finding this thread, however.  I'll keep on it for another couple hours until I have to crash, but I've asked our team to update this thread as soon as we have something.

-B

Kudos1 Stats

r_nagaanand, I totally did the same thing...a LOT.  Nothing helped, which is why I started calling and looking at the forums to see if there were existing reports.

Thank you all for helping the community!  We'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

-B

Kudos1 Stats

FaustJWVG, definitely not a test.  This is a bug, and is being looked at.  The perception that we're money grabbing is simply untrue.  We'll get it right again.  Apologies for the annoyance and frustration this has caused...count me as one of the annoyed!

-B

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks for your quick response.

Kudos1 Stats

Brian, thanks for the info but if you see my post in another similar thread, the answer I got at 8pm EDT was not quite as reassuring as your responses here that this was a known problem. As a long time Norton customer, I was a little disappointed and reading so many similar stories on the forums makes me sad. Next time, I'll check the forums before calling support, seems the better answers are here. But at least I'm not the only one freaked by the messages coming from Norton Security apps tonight ... I really thought someone had done something bad to my new Norton Core.
Kudos3 Stats

Hi All!

I've been updating the other thread.  We are aware of the issue and are currently working on a fix and updated release.  I'll update the other thread as we progress.  Thanks!

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/wifi-network-compromised-messages

-Brian

Kudos1 Stats

Hi All!

I've been updating the other thread.  We are aware of the issue and are currently working on a fix and updated release.  I'll update the other thread as we progress.  Thanks!

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/wifi-network-compromised-messages

-Brian

Kudos5 Stats

Hi Pinky214!

I'm slightly closer to the team than the other responses, and I assure you we have a fix.  We just need time to test/validate before rushing it out the door.  We'll get there.

You did exactly what I would have done.  In fact, I did lots of the things everyone has posted about, and ended up quite annoyed...before looking for existing reports.  I'm in direct contact with the team and we'll get this right.

I promise your Norton Core is still a-ok. :)

-Brian

Kudos0

Same thing happening on all our phones/tablets.

Kudos1 Stats

I guess I was a bit paranoid.lol. I believe you guys. Thanks for the quick response and reassurance.
Kudos0

FaustJWVG, you have every right to be paranoid about your home network!  I am, as well.  :)

Love you all for hanging with us through this.  We'll get there!

-B

Kudos0

I see this is a common issue today.I can t help but wonder if it s on 2 samsungs and a tablet today because we renewed yesterday.Almost seems as if Norton is trying to increase it sales of VPN and router.My devices are updated and we recieved no warnings until we actually clicked on the wifi security bar which went from 100% protected and green to 0% and red.Suspicious and not what I expect when i believe Norton is protecting us.Also,I have a VPN on my devices Norton so why keep telling me I need one for this issue!
Kudos0

I have tried connecting to 15 different wifi and get this error on my phone. My phone is blowing up over this alert and I have a Moto X Pure. I almost think either Norton is getting kickback from telcos to force us to use data instead of wifi since this issue has been going on with the compromised wifi for 4 months. this time with ssl decryption... 

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks again, Brian. I just wish the support folks had been informed, sort of puts them in a bad spot when they're answering the calls from us paranoid users freaking out when our home network gives us scary messages. Glad my pretty Core is okay... I love that little orb! :)
Kudos0

I'm glad I found this thread!  I guess I can just ignore it for now.

Kudos1 Stats

We have a fix and a build.  You'll see 4062 when we finish up certifying it (unless certifying finds something else...).  I'll keep you posted!

-B

Kudos1 Stats

Hello fellow miserable friends!

FWIW: I've had Norton Mobile on the same SGS5 Active phone- on the same Cox Cable Modem (with extender router) since 2014; and only just got the messages on my my phone - tonight!! 

I do believe the app is seeing something (like my repeater) with the update that's been there. With the hundreds of threads I've read tonight, I'm not going to worry about it. Thank you in advance for your update Norton!! 

Cheers! -R

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

So I just got this message a few minutes ago too and got freaked out so I changed my network password and name and just did a lot of random stuff. Unfortunately before I checked the forums I bought this Norton Wi-Fi privacy thing and now I have to call them to get a refund... My tablet still shows compromised Wi-Fi network too. I hope I am able to get the refund considering that this is a problem which they have not fixed or even sent a message telling their customers not to worry about it. 

Kudos1 Stats

I've also tested the fix and it works on my device.  You'll have to re-scan (pull-to-scan on the WiFi Security page), but it'll re-scan and update to green properly.

Almost there...

-B

Kudos0

Keep pulling and refreshing!! I've gotten several green "positive false positives" that way LOL. 

Kudos0

Wow I'm glad I checked here lol, several mobile devices at my place got the above message as well, triggering me to believe it may be real and acting upon it. Glad to see that likely this isn't the case after all.
Kudos1 Stats

Build will be 4063 (there was already a 4062 in the channel, so we had to update it)...only fix is the false positive for the network.  I'll let you all know when it's live.  Google Play replication sometimes takes a little while (~1 hour) so we are very close now...

-B

Kudos1 Stats

Same issue here. Given that this doesn't appear to be an isolated case, within a very short time period, and seems to be very closely associated with the install of new Norton updates it would seem like a Norton update is buggy or issuing false security alerts. This better not be a Norton marketing effort to promote Norton Mobile Privacy products as this is what scam artists do. (scare and bait). Norton has a brand image to maintain! Norton Mobile Security was alerting of an attacker, SSL Decryption as of March 27th. Mobile Security updated itself this morning also. I also manually ran Norton Live Update March 27th on windows desktop version and this software is also playing games after a new patch it wants to update. The Norton live updates, patch ends up disabling the "Smart Firewall" then after a computer restart Norton Security no longer functions correctly and needs to be re-installed. I've had to re-install the desktop software 3 times now. All good until norton desktop live updates asks to apply a patch, dated for release on March 27th. Something is definitely out of tune with Norton's March 27th updates.

Kudos0

So now...do I stay up until the build is live or try to get 4 hours of sleep before the alarm goes off, lol. As much as I want to wait, sleep beckons.... Thanks, again, Brian!

Kudos0

This was on my phone and on my wife's phone, but I could not detect any unusual activity on the network. To be safe, I shut down the modem for a few hours. I went to our church and got the same message there. So there's bug in the software. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

LG phone here.

Kudos1 Stats

Get some sleep!  It'll be there in the morning.  :)

You're very welcome!  Hopefully there's no more "wrinkles" in the posting process, but we do need to certify everything before we send it out to everyone.  It'll be live soon™. 

-B

(Yes, that was a Blizzard joke if anyone gets it...  soon™)

Kudos1 Stats

My phone is reading as version 4.1.0.4061

I've run live update and that is apparently the latest version.

Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android version 7.0

Kudos1 Stats

I have trusted Norton for many years now, which is why I have spent the last few hours reconfiguring, everything. I thought I would check the forums before banging on my neighbors door. Lucky for me and him that I did. Haha Please test your updates! Thank you

Kudos1 Stats

Do I just restart the phone once you complete the "fix" or will I need to do something else to clear the compromised network warning??

Kudos2 Stats

I would like to know why Norton have not sent out email notification to customers to let us know that this could be a possible problem for mobile devices- I have been waiting for the chat for two hours and was given no answer other then it will be resolved within two hours but as i can see from these forums the issue has been going on since at least December,  I think this is very poor and that there is no response to these forums by Norton and obviously no fix.  Has anyones error messages gone away at all

Kudos1 Stats

MattSaudio, 4061 is the current version in-field.  We're certifying 4063 now, and will take a little bit to finish up.  It's coming soon...but an exact time is still coming.

John A Williams 17, I did the exact same thing, thinking this was a legit detection.  I was worried/paranoid about my network. So far, I've tested the one that was recently built and it looks good.  The team just needs a little time to get through the process.

D wayne.  Once it's there, you'll be able to hit the google play page and update directly.  You won't have to restart, but you will have to re-scan (pull-to-scan on the WiFi Security page).  That should clear it.

dianne patterson01, we usually don't do mass emailers, as they aren't that effective.  I apologize that you waited so long...I would have done the same!  This problem is unique, and unrelated to the December problem, which I'm not sure of the details on.  I also saw no "Norton" responses, which is why I jumped in and am still here.  We've fixed it and are releasing soon...but the team just needs a bit of time to get through re-certification.

We're almost there folks.  I'll update as soon as I have more info.

-Brian

Kudos1 Stats

Just a suggestion to Norton's.  When you KNOW there is a problem being experienced by many users such as this, send out an email so we don't waste hours trying to secure our routers and devices because we are afraid to get on the internet to search for blogs like this.

Kudos1 Stats

@Dianne - I'm not sure if the two are related. The one earlier that you mention was related to ARP Spoofing, this one has a message regarding SSL Decrypting. 

Edit: and now I notice this was mentioned before, forget I said anything... lol 

Kudos1 Stats

savz, this is why the community is great.  We all jump in and try to help!  Keep it up, I love it!

-B

Kudos1 Stats

Where in the hell was the QA on this?! I've had pop-ups on closed and secured networks all day at home and at work. Obviously from the number of posts on this thread it shouldn't have been hard to replicate, and once known, why wasn't there an immediate response from Symantec/Norton? It seems like that if you are going to have a critical message that your network is compromised with a third party actively trying to hack in, you ought to be sure that is the case. Not your best day Norton!

Kudos3 Stats

We're replicating the build to Google Play right now.  You should see 4063 within an hour, and be able to update.  Please re-scan with WiFi Security after the update to clear the message.

Regards,

-Brian

Kudos1 Stats

Lucky 13 thanks for your reassurances...I hope your optimism is confirmed with a quick fix.  These messages are very disturbing!

Kudos0

Norton Mobile Security

"Your data and communications are exposed to an attacker on this network"

My daughter who is living in ANOTHER COUNTRY she texted me on Whats-app(on my mobile phone Samsung S7) saying that her mobile phone(Samsung Note 4) receiving this warning "Your data and communications are exposed to an attacker on this network....." while she was connected at home wifi.

After googling it I assured her that this is an error of this app.

THE STRANGE THING: immediately after that I started to receive this warning on my mobile phone(Samsung S7) TOO!!

What is going on Norton??

Kudos1 Stats

sanitycheck, I was disturbed as well with a dash of paranoia!  The fix is in the queue...and we should see the updated build within an hour.  I'll be here until it's available...or I fall asleep on my keyboard.  One way or another, I'll post!

-B

Kudos0

Today I started receiving text messages that my network is compromised. My wife is now also receiving them. We both have different brands of phones but both are Androids. We get a new message about every 30 mins.  We have 3 laptop computers and two cellphones connected to the same network. No messages are coming to the laptops.  Following the instructions in the messages results in being advised to install another Norton product to set up VPNs. This is a pay app - I think about $30 US

WHat is going on> I have found numerous threads about this problem on the web dating back to June 2017.

How do I stop them

Kudos0

Getting same on my Samsung Galaxy S4. No other issues with network.
Kudos2 Stats

I have to agree with dianne patterson01 and MALaffoon about the email notifications when such a potentially critical error is found. It reflects very poorly on a business when it fails to do everything it can, in an expedited manner, to assuage customers' worries and even possibly prevent them from purchasing unnecessary protection (ie: VPN's). The damage to customer relations can be somewhat mitigated if the company at least makes every effort to keep the customer informed.

For the record, I've been receiving the same SSL Decrypting message on my LG Stylo 3 for the last several hours, except when using a third party VPN that I already had on the phone.

@Lucky13  Thank you kindly for your assistance, Brian. Your input has been reassuring to many of us, I'm sure.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.