• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos16 Stats

Wifi Network Compromised messages

Hi 

Have been receiving Compromised Network Message on my android phones since morning. I saw the thread on this topic that is now closed. Was Norton able to provide a solution? Logging onto the router only shows known clients. 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Wifi Network Compromised messages

I'm having the same issue.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and my wife has a Samsung Galaxy S7.  Both phones' Norton Mobile Security installations were LiveUpdated this morning, March 27th.

The attack notification first appeared on my Galaxy S4 at work this afternoon.  Norton Mobile Security informed me that my network Access Point had been compromised with an SSL Decrypting attack.  Every few minutes my phone would vibrate to tell me that my network was under attack.  No way to disable the notifications on my phone so I just unplugged the Access Point.

Then, when my wife got home from work, her Galaxy S7 reported the exact same error (SSL Decrypting) about our home network.  No access points are on the home network - it's just a typical wireless router.  

I got home after she did and, as soon as my Galaxy S4 was in range of the home network, Norton Mobile Security reported the same SSL Decrypting attack notification on my phone.  Now both of our phones are buzzing every few minutes with no way to silence them.  My wife can't sleep with all the buzzing so I'm going to have to disable or uninstall Norton on our phones and check back in the morning.

Norton needs to fix this - and fast - or they're going to lose a lot of customers.

Kudos4 Stats

When Norton discovered the problem, why didn't they send out an email blast to all registered users? It's not as if they don't have our email addresses. I spent all evening searching the Internet for how to fix this scary issue on my tablet and cell. I didn't find the thread until about an hour ago. What a waste of my time. 

Norton, have you gotten so big that you can't do proactive customer service any more? I've used Norton products for 25+ years. I expect the same service as in the beginning.

Kudos4 Stats

On the emails, consider that the amount of emails they will be sending will cost a lot of time since they can't do it all at once without creating some bottleneck (not to mention various spam filters triggering if you do it all at once). However, it may be an idea for Norton to, instead of an email notification, send out a push notification. That could potentially be done a lot faster and uses a lot less data from what I know. 

@Utter Despair - That's interesting what you mention about the VPN. I use a VPN as well on my cell, but still get the message when I manually check the wifi in the Norton app.

Kudos0

I contacted Norton about this issue with my Samsung S7. I was told it was their issue and give it 24-48 hrs to be resolved. He said they were getting other calls. Also said I was still protected. I thought "yeah right"!
Kudos1 Stats

Ich habe auch seit 06:00 Uhr European Time diese Meldung und finde es auch inaktzeptabel, das man erst lange rumsuchen muss und es keine Mail an die registrieten User und ein Banner auf der Homepage gab!!! Das Banner kam erst vor ca. 45 Minuten!!

Danke an Lucky13!!! Aber ich denke die User sind nicht PARANOIA wenn sie diese Informationen verlangen, schließlich zahlt man gutes Geld für den Service.

Kudos0

I am getting the same warning about my network at home being compromised.  I have a Samsung Note 4.  My laptop on the same network has no issues or warnings from Norton Internet Security.  I hope Norton can fix this soon. 

Kudos7 Stats

I agree, we could/should have done more.  In reality, we only saw this escalate in the last couple of hours...but I see very well that it's been reported all day.  I'll discuss with management what can be done going forward.  We can and should improve.  I'm not sure that email blasts are the way, but...Message Center(push) is certainly an intriguing option, and would prompt an alert and I'll certainly bring this up in my discussions.  Ty, savz!

Uwe Heiko Hohmann Danke!  I was paranoid as well, and we'll see a new build soon.  It shouldn't be long now as I've been waiting nearly an hour since replication began....  (google translate FTW!)

reng we have the fix, tested...and will be in-field very soon.  I'll update the thread when I see it available.

Regards,

-B

Kudos1 Stats

Lucky13:

[...] but...Message Center(push) is certainly an intriguing option, and would prompt an alert and I'll certainly bring this up in my discussions.  Ty, savz!

[...]

No problem :) 

Also, because you can never please everyone, it may be an idea to have them (if the push notifications are going to be implemented) on an opt-in/opt-out base (probably a setting). Not everyone is always happy with push notifications, so that way they at least have the choice :)

Kudos1 Stats

I am also getting the message Network is Compromised ( checked network no issues )this is happening over all the Samsung phones but not the IPhone or Laptop or pc so believe its an Norton issue with Android  devices which is now driving me mad so come on Norton fix this issue asap.  

Kudos0

STEVE2018 we have a fix, just waiting on Google Play to replicate it to everyone.  Very soon™.  Apologies for this mess...we're almost there.

-B

Kudos2 Stats

Thank you  :-)

I think a banner on the homepage and at forum startsite is a easy and great information board

Thank's

Kudos2 Stats

@savz  I tried my VPN on my Home WiFi after the Network Compromised Message (thought it was worth a shot when I saw the "WiFi Privacy" advertisement), and the WiFi Security scan (after swiping down to refresh) turned green with "This network is password protected and has strong encryption." *shrug*

Kudos1 Stats

Thank goodness we have this thread. I'm in a rural location so a SSL attack over Wi-Fi seems somewhat unlikely. Started about 7 hours ago around 1-00AM and am completely irritated by the repeated notifications. Fingers crossed Norton can figure out a speedy fix.

Kudos1 Stats

Of course, replication is taking longer than typical...  I promise the fix is in queue.  You should see it pretty darn soon.

-B

Kudos4 Stats

This has been reported by many people on other threads (that have been closed without resolution) since DECEMBER!!!. It's not new. Norton needs to provide a much better method to report real problems than forums that get ignored for 3 months! I've been checking back since January for a solution. Clearly, Lucky13 is the first Norton employee to bring this to the attention of anyone who was capable of initiating real action, and thanks for that, but this has really been awful customer support for a scary, annoying, and time-consuming problem that no one at Norton seemed to be paying any attention to.

I just have to insist on the dire need for Norton to provide a professional system for reporting problems.

Kudos3 Stats

WillCool, this is not the same as the December problem.  I'll bring it up when I discuss later today w/ the boss, but I honestly haven't looked into the ARP spoofing problem from before.  Today's defect was specific to a bug with SSL decrypting detection.

I'll discuss w/ the team about the other issue and get you a response.  I appreciate you taking the time and reporting things...it really does make a difference and I apologize for the long-standing issue.  Give me a day and I'll look into getting a better reply for you on that.

Regards,

-B

Kudos4 Stats

Still replicating...and the slow timing couldn't be worse.  I may have to hand things off to @Gayathri_R soon as I'm falling asleep here.  Hopefully you see a post from me here really soon.  If not, you'll see Gayathri jump in to update you as we go.

To be continued...

-B

Kudos6 Stats

Handing off now to @Gayathri_R...

Be good to one another.  I'll check in in a few hours.

-B

Kudos1 Stats

Thanks for all the updates @Lucky13, it's appreciated! Have a great night!

Kudos1 Stats

So a Symantec employee is posting it's an error & Nortons is working on fixing it as we post (thank you Lucky 13 for those updated postings).  Before I knew this I signed up to say 'me too' and then suddenly I was no longer able to view the same posting ABT THIS, received an "access denied" & "page not found" when I clicked on the SAME LINK and another.  This same link does NOT show any 'we are aware of this problem and Nortons is working on it' - making me freak out, thinking I was being blocked from whatever intruder thats (not) trying to gain assess.  NORTONS: PLS DONT CLOSE A POST or BLOCK IT OR WHATEVER was done W/OUT INCLUDING A RESPONSE POST saying YOUR AWARE OF THE SITUATION and WORKING ON THIS FALSE POSTIVE  B E F O R E CLOSING SAID POST!! It only makes this worse! I shut everything off for hours not knowing what to do but thankfully I have a Mac I felt safe enough to use and found other postings to learn about this false postive.  Not helpful either that upon receiving this msg there was no direction on what to do.

-------------------------------------------

Scarey msg recvd first on a Samsung tablet, then on a Samsung cell - but NOT ON MY macOS High Sierra while in use at the same time.

"Compromised network"

[network name]

"This network is comprimised by an unknown 3rd party that may view and alter your communications."

"An Attacker is attempting to decrypt this network and may view and alter your communications."

Kudos1 Stats

I too have this problem and it only started late last night.  I tried clicking on the 3 little dots on the right of the message and marked the network as Home but that has made no difference.

Accepted Solution
Kudos13 Stats

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. NMS build 4.1.0.4063 ​has been released that fixes this issue. Visit Norton Mobile Security on Google Play to download the latest build. Please let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks,
Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos3 Stats

Awesome! Thanks for the update Gayathri :)

Kudos6 Stats

Thank's to Lucky13 for the support in the last hour's  and thank's to Gayathri for the information :-)

The problem is fixed on the devices in my W-LAN Network!

Kudos4 Stats

Hi all,

On similar thread https://community.norton.com/en/forums/nms-wifi-security-network-comprom... there is a post:

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Build number 4.1.0.4063 ​has been released that fixes the issue where Norton Mobile Security reports the WiFi network is compromised. Please visit Norton Mobile Security on Google Play (link is external) to download the latest build.

Kudos2 Stats

Norton, this has been a shameful tactic to divert users to purchase the VPN app. In the error the option 'Use wifi privacy' leads people to the Norton VPN app and to create account/buy/use it.

This has been the last point (besides lack of VPN licenses management, CONSTANT plugin installation reminders on browsers, and annoying pup ups from the app during our conferences), convincing us to switch to another antivirus on the market.

Just 2 more months till the licenses expire.

- a frustrated admin

Kudos2 Stats

Glad I am not alone - both mine and my wifes Android phones have been reporting the same - some 3 hours after an update.

Kudos2 Stats

Thanks to both Lucky 13 and Gayathri for the information and for all those behind the scenes at Symantec.  It took me a little bit of time after updating Norton Mobile Security and several security scans before my Samsung phone said I was "safe", but ulimately I did get the "green light" on this issue. Hopefully I can now go to sleep.

Kudos2 Stats

About 10 hours ago this SSL nightmare began. After failing to secure my network, i.e. factory reset router, changed passwords, I had to unplug it. After careful consideration, I have decided to off my subscription auto renewal. I never thought Norton would allow this kind of false-positive to happen...

Kudos5 Stats

Just received an update to Norton Mobile Security.

It appears that messages are now gone (hopefully for good!!!)

Kudos1 Stats

Woke up this morning with same message as other users in this forum, SSL Decrypting message says "An attacker is attempting to decrypt this network and may view and alter your communications". I work in IT, simple diagnostics indicate no foreign devices on my network using IP & MAC scanning tools plus cmd prompt (arp -a). Checked only access point (my router) and network switches in my building for any flaws, non found, firmware all up to date on all devices also. I have Norton on 4 computers and 2 mobile devices, and it is ONLY the mobile devices giving the above message. Very strange, changed my WiFi password on my router just to be extra cautious and even stepped down from 5ghz to 2.4ghz and same message appeared after a few mins of connection. Agree with other users that some users will be scared to death with big red warnings like this, if they are a false positive. Not good. Cant believe so many Norton users are having the same issue....disappointed. Awaiting reply from Norton!

Kudos1 Stats

Did you have to push this through yourself through the app/play store, or through the norton mobile app?

Kudos1 Stats

Google Play shows the date of release as 27/03/2018. I have updated the definitions. The issue still persists. Please update.

Kudos3 Stats

updated to version 4.1.0.4063 and no longer getting the 'network compromised' messages - Thanks for all the updates Lucky 13 and Gayathri 

Kudos4 Stats

Update was through Google Play Store.

Kudos2 Stats

I got 4063 build.

thanks a lot.

Windows 10 pro 64bit / Firefox / NIS v.22
Kudos1 Stats

I stopped the security warning on my mobile ( GooglePixel 2) by logging to My Norton account and switching off Automatic Renewal. After this, I checked the App and WI-FI security went green and shows 100%. Hope this will work for everyone else.

Kudos4 Stats

Can confirm update through Play Store for Android devices has fixed this issue. If you cannot see the update on the Play Store, search for the Norton Mobile app instead and then simply click "Update". You can also find your app in the Play Store under "My apps & games" depending on your Android OS Version. Hope this helps!

Kudos1 Stats

@MrNash

Yes, you are 100% right,

Today I installed Norton wifi security trial as they requested and I was charged $1 by google play, then after the trial expires the will let you pay 29..$ automatically!! 

1st I am going to disable Norton automatic renewal to avoid surprises.

2nd I will delete my credit card details from google play since they are partners in this too!

Kudos7 Stats

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7871211#comment-7871211

If this issue persists, despite updating to the latest build NMS v.4.1.0.4063 through Google Play Store, please let us know. Thank you.

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos3 Stats

Thank Gayathri and Lucky for supporting and providing the required update without much delay. Appreciate  your care.

Kudos2 Stats

Thank you. I got my phone updated and check the network , its Green now.

Kudos0

FYI, out of all the gizmos in the house (in Massachusetts, U.S.), my Motorola Droid Turbo is the ONLY device squawking at me. WHERE IS THE BLANKET E-MAIL/TEXT FROM NORTON REASSURING ITS CUSTOMERS?? I find it disgraceful that the only posted update is from a liaison who got patched into a Norton dev chat. This is some serious cabal bullsh*t.
Kudos0

My parents have had this as a reoccurring "problem" over several month now, coming and going... Last time, the issue disappeared before I managed to get any wiser, wasting half a day... I'm glad it's a false positive, but I'm also incredibly annoyed that this keeps happening. My parents pay you for increased sense of security... In return you keep terrorising my mother, for no good reason. It is not OK!

Kudos1 Stats

Same problem here, How many people will ignore this in the future even if it's real? LOOK IT'S A WOLF!

Kudos0

I have received the same info last night. new to all this scared me as well. 

Kudos3 Stats

New version downloaded (Wed 28th @ 13:15 GMT) to both Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and HTC M9 and neither now consider my network has an issue.

I think it's solved.

Kudos2 Stats

Thank you for the app update. Problem corrected on my Galaxy S5.

Kudos2 Stats

thank you,my phone is now fixed.

go to google play store and update nms.

Kudos1 Stats

woke up phone still blowing up then suddenly the update downloaded it now says my network is safe..

my friends at work for ISP were getting thousands of calls about the unsecure network. so not only was Norton bombarded but most every ISP (through no fault of their own) was as well.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.