• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Lose Identity Safe after every reboot

Every time I reboot I lose Identity Safe. Main page says IS is OFF. I select ON, go into Settings, Identity Safety and Identity Safe is OFF. Select ON and APPLY but cannot get to my password vault signon screen. Check Identity Safety settings and Identity Safe is OFF.

Have to use NRnR after every reboot. This is getting tiresome. Norton version is 22.12.1.15 and am running Win 10 Pro 64bit version 1709 build 16299.309.

Please help fix permanently.

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Lose Identity Safe after every reboot

Hi,

Sorry for the issue you are facing.

It would be helpful, if you can please let me know the answers for below queries so I can help 

1) On which browser you are using Identity Safe ?

2) Are you using Local Identity Safe vault or Online Identity Safe vault ?

Kudos0

I'm using it on Firefox Quantum v 59.0.2 and IE 11 v 11.309.16299.0.

Kudos0

rzn6jw111 When you restart from an overnight shutdown or restart your system IDS will close as by design. No matter the browser being used. However for Chrome another user has a workaround that may be of some use for you here: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7848511#comment-7848511

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.167 / NSBU 22.14.2.13 / Norton Core v.237 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

That may be all well and said but is should be ON after a reboot or you should be able reactivate IS by going into settings and turning it on after a reboot and then signing in. This doesn't work. This is what needs to be corrected so I don't have to use NRnR every time I reboot.

Kudos0

I think the user is seeing that the ID Safe features in NS are turned off after restarting. Not just the vault getting closed.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Exactly. During reboot, the vault closes as it should. Coming back to the desktop, IS is OFF on the splash screen. If you select SETTINGS, Identity Safety, Identity Safe is OFF. If you select ON, APPLY, then exit, upon return to the splash, IS is OFF. I have to use NRnR every time to be able to set IS ON and I shouldn't.

Does anyone know what's wrong with the NIS application and how to fix it?

Kudos0

Silly questions perhaps:

• which Norton Product are you using - a retail Norton Security Product or perhaps an ISP offered modified Norton Product such as Comcast's Norton Security Suite?  We know you re on the current version.
  • as vivesku asked above - are you using a local or a cloud vault?
  • Have you tired to remove the current install of your Norton Product via Control Panel > Programs and Features and then start the NRnR and select the Advanced Options button that appears after the User Agreement.  After running the  REMOVE ONLY,  go to the URL that corresponds to your Norton product for a fresh download. We can supply the correct URL once you tell us your Norton Product.
Kudos0

Yes, I understood the source of the problem the OP is having. From his statements it appeared he was "browser focused" rather than a system issue. Two questions come to mind. 1- Is the OP logging into Windows 10 under an admin account. 2- Do they have fast boot enabled. For the sake of asking does the OP allow hybrid sleep on the system? Additionally, his OS is not current as well. He should be on build 16299.334 and have KB4089848 installed.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.167 / NSBU 22.14.2.13 / Norton Core v.237 / Norton BETA tester
Kudos0

Yank: Using the downloaded version of NIS Deluxe. Have owned NIS since 2003 and always used 'update' and 'renew'. As fas as I know, I'm using a 'local' vault. I've only used NRnR to re-install NIS per instructions from a previous issue with the product. If you want to send the URL, I can try your fix the next time I lose IS.

SoulAsylum: I sign on Win 10 as an Administrator. I do not have 'Fast Boot' enabled in the BIOS. I don't use any 'sleep', only 'Shutdown' or 'Restart'. For some reason, I don't think I'm getting all the updates I should so I'm manually installing the update now.

Kudos1 Stats

SoulAsylum does sometimes refer to Fast Boot and as you note that is a BIOS feature on newer motherboards. What he is referring to is the Windows Fast Startup Feature. If that is turned on and you use Shutdown, you are not getting a complete system shutdown required to fully update running system files. If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

Kudos0

Thanks for the clarification Peter. Fast Startup is the term I should have used. Apologies to the OP. I would check that setting in power settings though the BIOS may be disabled for it. Windows update DO re-enable the setting as I have had to disable it numerous times after updates from Microsoft.

Cheers

Kudos0

I'm running a High Performance power setting but no Fast Boot.

Kudos0

rzn6jw111:

Yank: Using the downloaded version of NIS Deluxe. Have owned NIS since 2003 and always used 'update' and 'renew'. As fas as I know, I'm using a 'local' vault. I've only used NRnR to re-install NIS per instructions from a previous issue with the product. If you want to send the URL, I can try your fix the next time I lose IS.

SoulAsylum: I sign on Win 10 as an Administrator. I do not have 'Fast Boot' enabled in the BIOS. I don't use any 'sleep', only 'Shutdown' or 'Restart'. For some reason, I don't think I'm getting all the updates I should so I'm manually installing the update now.

I do not believe there is a NIS Deluxe, there is a Norton  Security Deluxe, but Norton Internet Security (NIS) I do not recall ever having a "Deluxe" version.   The NIS download is http://norton.com/latestnis

The  Norton Security Deluxe download is http://Norton.com/latestNS

Kudos0

Yank: see attached.

Kudos0

Yank:

Try this:

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

Hello rzn6jw111

Your first screenshot shows up ok. It takes a while before they show up because screenshots have to be approved by the admins. first.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos1 Stats

rzn6jw111:

Yank:

Try this:

Not necessary. Your image is visible in your other post, and it shows you do have Norton Security Deluxe. Those of us that have been helping for years look on NIS as the older Norton Internet Security product. Thus the confusion when you are referring to your product. We now refer to the newer Norton Security as NS. 

Kudos0

As peterweb explained, the download you would want to use is the http://Norton.com/latestNS  

Sorry for the confusion, but we need to make positive of the product when not using the install portion of the NRnR Tool and as usual with any install, run LiveUpdate until responds "No Updates Found."

Kudos0

After running Update many times with 'No update found' ran the above link and came up with a Security Alert about removing or keeping my protection. Chose 'Keep my protection' and program ended.

So what does that tell us?

Kudos0

If you are referring to the norton.com/latestns link, the installer routine checks to see if you have Norton installed already. If so, it is looking to see if you are trying to uninstall the product.

If you are just looking to refresh the current installation, the best thing is to use the NRNR that you used before.

Kudos0

From my previous post above - regarding a work around without using the full NRnR Tool:

Have you tired to remove the current install of your Norton Product via Control Panel > Programs and Features and then start the NRnR and select the Advanced Options button that appears after the User AgreementAfter running the  REMOVE ONLY,  go to the URL that corresponds to your Norton product for a fresh download. We can supply the correct URL once you tell us your Norton Product.

Basically, remove current installation via Control Panel, run Remove Only, then download and install from http://Norton.com/latestNS   After install run LiveUpdate until it responds "no Updates Found".

Sorry if what I posted before was not clear.

Kudos0

Did all the above. It installed 50 some updates and two patches. Still at v 22.12.1.15.

Now?

Kudos0

And have you tested to see if you are still seeing the same problem?

Kudos0

Just got my internet back (#&&^%$$%#$& Comcast!!). Will reboot a couple of time and let it run overnight to see what happens. Back tomorrow.

Kudos0

Hello

Check to see if Run Update worked automatically worked on it's own.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.14.2.13 Core Firmware 237 I E 11
Kudos0

rzn6jw111:

Just got my internet back (#&&^%$$%#$& Comcast!!). Will reboot a couple of time and let it run overnight to see what happens. Back tomorrow.

#&&^%$$%#$& Comcast - I know it well, and just to verify, did you at any time download and install the free Norton Security Suite from Comcast?  If so is it listed in your Control Panel > Programs and Features? 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.