• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Android 8 issue?

Anyone having the same issue with Android 8?

Symptom: While running Norton Mobile Security (version 4.0.1.4039) for a period of time (can be few seconds - few hours) it stopped, when re-launch the NMS app, Web Protection resetted to disable.

Device: Huawei Mate 9 Android 8

NMS App setting:

Power-intensive prompt: off

Launch: Manage manually (Auto-launch: Allowed,  Secondary launch: Allowed,  Run in background: Allowed)

Data Usage: Mobile data: Allowed,  WiFi: Allowed,  Background data: Allowed,  Roaming data: Allowed

App Permissions: Camera: Allowed,  Phone: Allowed,  SMS: Allowed,  Storage: Allowed,  Your location: Allowed)

Draw over other apps: Yes

Write System settings: Yes

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Android 8 issue?

Check your Android settings to make sure Norton's Device Administrator setting is ON, and Norton Security service is turned on in Accessibility Settings.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Device Administrator: Norton Security Service Active.

When I ENABLE the Web Protection, Norton Security Service (under Accessibility) was ON, when NMS stopped, somehow Norton Security Service (under Accessibility) resetted to OFF.

Kudos0

Try going into the Norton Mobile Security, NMS app settings. Tap on the 3 bars at the top left of the NMS screen and tap on Settings. Scroll down to the Anti Theft section and turn off the Device Administrator setting.  Now go to Android Settings - Apps. Scroll to the NMS app and clear the app cache and app Data. Restart the device and turn the Device Administrator setting back on. This will reset your NMS to a trial version. To get the full version back, open the NMS app, tap on the 3 bars at the top left, then tap Sign In. Enter your Norton Account information and you should have the full version again.

Check that the Accessibility Service is on, and then test to see if things work properly.

Kudos0

I have done that, and also reinstall NMS, it also happen to my other phone (same model and same Android version -- Huawei Mate 9 Android 8), still having the same issue as well, so don't know why is it just happen to Huawei phone or will happen to other Android 8 device too.

Kudos0

There is another user having issues with a Huawei Honor phone on Android 8.

I'll pass this on to my Norton contacts to see if it is related to the the device, or the OS version.

Kudos0

Here is some information that may help with your issue with the Accessibility Service.

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/137195/accessibility-service...

It seems it may be related to the battery saving settings on the device.

Kudos0

Why is only happen to NMS (even updated to version 4.1.0.4053), all other "always on" app worked fine so far, such as WhatsApp, OpenVPN........  at least they won't stopped, used OpenVPN for over 10 hours still connected.

Kudos0

N.

Did you check your battery saving settings as noted in the link I gave above? 

Why does it only affect Norton? From what my contacts note, it appears to be related to the new OS. And it may be that only Norton is affected on your device, but there may also be other apps out there affected by this.

From that link...

all apps requiring accessibility services are having the same problem.

Do the other apps you mention use an Accessibility Service setting in Android? As an example, my Norton Wifi Privacy, a VPN, does not use the Accessibility Service. OpenVPN and WhatsApp may be the same.

Kudos0

Seem don't have those setting as noted in the link, I have checked my phone Power saving mode: off, Ultra power saving mode: off, Device administrators NMS: Active

Kudos0

I think EMUI 8.0 with Android 8.0 is not compatible with Norton Mobile Security.

Kudos0

What makes you say that? Does NMS work if you disable EMUI 8?

Kudos0

NMS works fine on EMUI 5 with Android 7, but not fine on EMUI 8 with Android 8, those issues came up.

And I don't think is Android 8 issue, because NMS works fine on Samsung S9+ Android 8 without those issues.

Kudos0

Even I put NMS on Ignore battery optimization (settings > Apps & notifications > Apps > Settings > Special access > Ignore battery optimization > All apps > NMS > Allow), NMS (version 4.1.0.4070) still stopped suddenly on EMUI 8 with Android 8.

Kudos0

I have no experience with EMUI. I understand from searching that it cannot be disabled. But it can be replaced with another Launcher app. 

Would you be able to try installing an alternative launcher to test?

Kudos0

Tried 3 difference launchers, those issues still same.

Suggest NMS team have a Huawei device on hand that at least EMUI 8 with Android 8 to test it out.

Kudos0

Looking at the battery settings again. 

N.:

Even I put NMS on Ignore battery optimization (settings > Apps & notifications > Apps > Settings > Special access > Ignore battery optimization > All apps > NMS > Allow), NMS (version 4.1.0.4070) still stopped suddenly on EMUI 8 with Android 8.

Try disallowing NMS. The issue in the thread linked above was resolved by turning off any battery optimizations, or battery saving settings for the affected apps.

EDIT

One other question I forgot to ask. Have you rooted your devices?

Kudos0

I think all related to battery optimizations setting for NMS are off/disabled.

Allow -- May drain your battery more quickly

I have not rooted my devices. 

Suggest NMS team have a Huawei device on hand that at least EMUI 8 with Android 8 to test it out.

Kudos0

I've added your suggestion about the EMUI being involved to the information I passed on. 

Kudos0

As the EMUI seems to be proprietary to Huawei devices, this could be device specific.

It will help if you can send logs to Norton.

Open NMS then tap the three bars at the top left and tap on App Settings. Scroll down near the bottom and Enable Debug Log setting.  Now close the NMS app. Then try to recreate your issue. Once the issue has happened again, go back to the debug setting and tap on Send Error Report with Log Files. In the description of the issue section, include your forum username and a link to this thread.

Kudos0

Sent it.  I fully charged the phone then unplugged it from the charger, turn the phone on, Enable Debug Log on NMS (version 4.1.0.4070), run LiveUpdate, Pull To Scan (Scan Anti-Malware and Privacy), browsing on Facebook app (version 167.0.0.42.94), after a while browsing on Facebook app, NMS stopped and Web Protection resetted to disable.

Kudos0

Thanks. I'll let you know if I hear anything from the logs. And if you hear anything, it would be appreciated if you could post back.

Kudos0

athman8

These forums are for problems with Norton products. You need to search Android forums for answer to your question about Android build information in your phone.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.