• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Windows 10 and Norton WiFi Privacy

I own an Asus laptop running Windows 10, which has Norton Internet Security on it.  The laptop connects to the internet using a wireless connection.  I also have a subscription to Norton WiFi Privacy which is installed on my Android phone.

My question: is the firewall as provided by Norton Internet Security sufficient to protect my laptop?

I am interested to get any comments or responses. 

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 and Norton WiFi Privacy

A VPN and a firewall are two different features that offer different protections. A firewall checks/controls access for incoming and outgoing data from your computer. A VPN encrypts your data as it leaves the computer and decrypts it as it returns to your computer. 

If you are using your laptop at any public wifi access points, a firewall will ensure your data is safe from any hackers also connected to that wifi access point.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

@StuartLord

If you are using your laptop at any public wifi access points, a firewall will ensure your data is safe from any hackers also connected to that wifi access point.

Correction to the above. It should read "a VPN will ensure your data is safe..." 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Peter

Thanks for your reply and explanation, which confirms what I half suspected.

The Android phone (Samsung S3 mini) also has Norton Mobile installed, but I put WiFi Privacy on it as well, following an incident where it 'developed' an irregular knocking noise.  N.B. this sound is one of the many that you can set on the phone, but I am certain that I did not so do and besides, it sounded at random intervals..

I ended up having to do a Factory Data Reset, preceded, of course, by saving all my data, files, etc using Smart Switch and then restoring them, when the reset was completed.  This process got rid of the knocking noise, which I very much suspect was caused by some malware attacking the phone, when it was connected to an insecure wifi hotspot.

Finally, it's worthwhile noting that both Norton Mobile and WiFi Privacy cannot be installed on an IPod.  I own an IPod Touch and have Onavo Protect on it instead.  Its not bad, considering its a freebie; it starts up automatically, when you connect to a hotspot (unlike WiFi Privacy), but apparently it does share your data with Facebook.