• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

My CPU is being abused by Norton.

For context, these are my computer specs:

Intel i7 7700k - cooled with a Corsair H110i AIO (280mm radiator with 2 maglev fans)

nVidia GTX 1080

Samsung Polaris NVMe - 256GB

WD Black 1TB HDD

Right. I have had and used Norton for about 10 years. I've never had an issue until recently. My PC when left idle for even as little as 2 minutes starts to be abused by Norton. What I mean by this is that Norton decides to do something in the background but there is no indication as to what this is. My CPU usage only goes up to around 30% which isn't the issue. The issue is that when this happens, my computer turns all fans on to cool it down as Norton pushes my CPU temperature above 65C and I've seen it on occasion pass 70C!! I've added a photo for reference. 

When gaming under heavy load on some of the most demanding games, this does not happen. Whatever Norton is doing in the background is driving me mad. I have 30ish days of subscription left as I've turned off my auto-renewal due to this.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, why it's using so many resources and why on earth is it making my CPU go to the temperatures that it is? 

File Attachment: 
Labels: Performance

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos2 Stats

Re: My CPU is being abused by Norton.

Hi C_Swords:

Go to Help | General Information | About and let us know the product name and version (the current version is v22.14.0.54) as well as your Windows OS (with Version and Build if Win 10).

See my posts in m333617's thread Nortonsecurity.exe Running at High CPU for Long Time on how to use the Norton Background Tasks window (Settings | Administrative Settings | Background Tasks | Configure) and Norton's Performance Graph (Performance | Graphs | Usage | CPU tab - activity by nortonsecurity.exe should be shown as yellow peaks) to diagnose if your high CPU is associated with a disk defrag or some other background idletime task scheduled by Norton that you might be able to disable or reconfigure.

If you can't associate your high CPU consumption with a specific Norton background task(s), see Vlad1ki3's thread CPU Usage About 30%.  User mickhardy was able to isolate automated tasks run by the Native Image Generator (NGEN) in the Task Scheduler that seemed to trigger the high CPU consumption by nortonsecurity.exe on his Win 10 machine.  Several Win 10 users following that thread reported that disabling those automated NGEN tasks (which are associated with the MS .NET Framework) also solved their high CPU consumption, but since none of the Norton employees offered their assistance in that thread we still don't know the exact reason why Norton's real-time protection seems to "wake up" and monitor ngen.exe when it's running these scheduled tasks.

You mentioned that "My CPU usage only goes up to around 30%", which makes me wonder if you're having a similar problem with high CPU consumption by nortonsecurity.exe that can't be explained by a background Norton task.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54

Kudos0

Thank you very much for your time replying back to me. I have a sneaky fear that my issue is the same as what would be resolved by disabling those features. Unfortunately as stated by someone much more clever than myself, these features are critical to the system and must be re-enabled as soon as this is fixed by Symantec. As you stated also though, no-one from Symantec have commented to confirm that this is in fact the error, and due to this I am unwilling to disable these. 

The thing with me is not the CPU usage, it's the temperatures. This error is caused by Norton and I cannot afford these temps (constant around 70C while idle with my cooling solution) any longer. My frustration is only amplified after reading that post you linked me to, as that was really really well explained and not one Symantec employee replied to thank anyone for bringing this to their attention.

I have spoken to support via a phone call and all they could tell me was tell me to make sure I'm running the latest version of Norton, which I told them I was doing. I told them I was running a fresh download and install where the issue was still present, and they told me to go back to the website and make sure that I download the most recent version..... Either way after the call, I did what he said even though I only have the 1 link to click on for the download as I said to him at the time too, and you guessed it, the problem is still here.

Now that I have realised the person/company I was spoke to had zero qualifications in computing, and the company I have paid many years to look after my computer cannot even say one word about this issue I have snapped. This kind of customer service is inexcusable and I'm furious after the phone call.

Customers cannot be expected to turn off critical features of their OS to allow an anti-virus to work smoother. The whole idea of an anti-virus is to make a system safer to use, not the opposite. I think that if you have to turn off these features, some of which can be critical for security, you should look for another piece of software to protect from viruses. Either way, I have 30 days left on my subscription, so they have that amount of time to resolve this issue before I move to Bit Defender.

Kudos0

FAO Symantec. Yes I know I'm only a single customer, yes I know I'm not important, but just so you know, you've lost a long time customer in me. Attached you'll see my new anti-virus protection. I'm sure that if all of your customers took a stand like this you would fix your issues in no time at all.

I'm not saving any money, in fact I'm loosing out with this as this is £90 instead of £60, but I'm willing to pay that for better support.

Fix your s**t Symantec, give your customers even a "thanks for letting us know", and please teach your phone support staff what a computer is. If you gave a simple thank you, you would have kept me as a customer.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi C_Swords:

Norton has a 60-day refund policy but that's of no use to you now since your annual subscription has almost expired.

If you're switching to McAfee make sure that all traces of Norton are wiped off your system to prevent any possible conflicts with your new AV.  After uninstalling Norton from the Control Panel (it's best to choose the option to "Please remove all user data" if you haven't uninstalled yet), download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool in advanced Remove Only mode (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) as instructed at https://www.norton.com/nrt.  If you see a pop-up asking if you'd like to reinstall Norton after you run this NRnR tool and restart your system this pop-up can be safely ignored.

Just an FYI that Norton has several features that I personally consider software bloat that can be safely disabled without affecting your real-time protection.  Here are some of the settings I routinely disable:

• Task Scheduling | Automatic Tasks | Internet Explorer Temporary Files
  • Task Scheduling | Automatic Tasks | Windows Temporary Files
  • Task Scheduling | Automatic Tasks | Internet Explorer History (if not disabled by default)
  • Task Scheduling | Automatic Tasks | Disk Optimization
  • Administrative Settings | Idle Time Optimizer
  • Administrative Settings | Monthly Report
  • Administrative Settings | Automatic Download of New Version (only prevents automatic upgrades e.g., v22.x to v23.x; does not affect definition updates and product updates e.g. v22.14.0 to v22.14.1)
  • Administrative Settings | Special Offer Notification

The following Norton Community Watch settings can be also disabled if you find this background task is affecting system performance but the information collected and sent back to Norton helps them identify emerging threats and improves the accuracy of trust (reputation) ratings assigned to executable files being downloaded and run on your system:

• Administrative Settings | Norton Community Watch
  • Administrative Settings | Norton Community Watch | Detailed Data Error Collection

----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54

Kudos0

C_Swords:

..Unfortunately as stated by someone much more clever than myself, these features are critical to the system and must be re-enabled as soon as this is fixed by Symantec. As you stated also though, no-one from Symantec have commented to confirm that this is in fact the error, and due to this I am unwilling to disable these....

... and for other users following this thread, see mickhardy's comment in CPU Usage About 30% about how temporarily disabling the NGEN (Native Image Generator) tasks in Task Scheduler can solve the high / erratic CPU consumption by nortonsecurity.exe on some Win 10 systems:

"...It will make some applications slower to start but most people won't notice the difference. It won't break anything but you should probably enable them again after Norton fixes the issue.

.Net applications need to be compiled into machine language before they will run. This happens automatically when you start the application. The Native Image Generator pre-compiles applications and stores them ready to go in a cache. It saves a little time..."

----------

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.