• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Protection email for that new threat by Core mailed by Norton.

Hello

Has any one else received by email against VPNFilter malware from Norton? It says

You are protected. Because you have Norton Core, your network is protected against this threat. Norton Core secure WiFi router is designed to help defend against a variety of possible cyber threats, including the VPNFilter attack

This is the first time I have received an email directed to just Core users even though I have Norton emails turned off. Please let me know if you have received this email from Symantec

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Protection email for that new threat by Core mailed by Norton.

I do not have a Core, (yet). But I have received targeted emails about being covered for against a particular security  issue.

This is the first time I have received an email directed to just Core users even though I have Norton emails turned off

From the personal information section of the Norton Account. 

Email me product updates, offers, and security newsletters
We will continue to send you information relating to your orders, account updates, Automatic Renewal service and important security alerts regardless of this setting.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I received it Friday.

Kudos0

All: I have received 3 separate e-mailings, all 3 were nailed as being spam. I have asked for someone Norton to look at the headers to verify whether these were in fact legit and if so we can determine why the false flagging as spam.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.175 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.2.47 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Yes I received that email
Kudos0

One of the Admins is having a look at the entire message I received presently. My concern is e-mail credentials harvesting. Hoping I get some news from them soon and all is clear.

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.175 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.2.47 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Hello Peter

This is the first email from Norton that I have received. I have not received any for product updates or any other targeted malware since I turned that setting off a long time ago. As others have received 1 copy of the email, then I shall start to consider that email as OK.

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Others are welcome to contribute. If necessary, I can change my mind. I'm a female after all.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

I have not received any for product updates or any other targeted malware since I turned that setting off a long time ago.

This may be a result of a somewhat recent incident with the Norton Mobile Security product. There was an issue that blew up the mobile board with Norton working overnight to get a fix out at 2 am. There were lots of suggestions that Norton should have notified the users of the problem by email. And I had a discussion with my Mobile contacts on this topic. It was noted that Norton has the ability to target users of a specific product and that it was possible to get this kind of notice out. The other notice I received about protection from a specific malware was some time after that discussion. So maybe that issue made a push in the need to get information to users sooner rather than later.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi,

The email is legit. However, I've let the concerned teams know that it was marked spam.

@floplot was it marked spam for you, as well?

Thanks,
Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hello Gayathri The email was not marked as spam and it was not put into my junk folder in Outlook 2013. I don't use Norton spam detector. Have a Nice Day and Thanks.
Kudos0

Thanks for clarifying, Flo. Much appreciated.

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.