• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

"Authentication"

When I open a specific program I am asked for "authentication". If i close the box (using the cross) i can carry on using the program. If i click 'ok' i am taken to my norton account where i am asked to sign in, even though the norton program shows me as already being signed in.  I can the continue to use the program.  Anybody any ideas PLEASE?

I have removed and reinstalled norton several times, to no effect.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: "Authentication"

In what program are you seeing this issue?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

The program is ACDSee. It is a Photography snd picture data base system. I have used it and the various upgrades for several years with no issues.

I should add that if I just click the cross then the box reappears if i try to import images and at other times during the program use. I think this started after one of the norton patch updates a few months ago. Just as an aside i will also mention that when i run Norton Erasor, it nolonger does a computer restart as part of the process. Hope all this helps. ACDSee support haven’t been able to help and neither has Norton, apart from wanting access to my pc. I am reluctant to allow that because the last time left me £80 and many hours out of pocket!
Kudos0

Can you post a screenshot of the authentication request?  

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
https://community.norton.com/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Kudos0

Can do later. Thanks 

Kudos0

Hi Peterweb

screen print attached

cheers

Kudos0

If ACDSee is the only program causing this issue with Norton, it seems that there is something with one or the other program that has gotten mixed up with the other.

Try uninstalling both, restart your computer and then reinstall them both. Obviously be sure any files from ACDSee are backed up before you do this.

Kudos0

Hello

I would recommend disabling Fast Startup if you haven't done so already. Having it on does cause many odd issues with many programs.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Disabling Fast Start has made no difference.

Kudos0

Well this is still happening. According to my Norton home screen i am signed in, and i signed in to this forum, yet i have just opened my ACDSee photo programme and once again Norton asks me for 'Authentication' to continue.

I have just signed out of Norton and signed in again and ACDSEE has opened ok this time. Several times in fact.

A slight pause whilst I restarted the pc, opened Norton, ran Liveupdate (not required) and a smart Scan (nothing found). Opened ACDSE and guess what, "authentication required"! Although according to the Norton home screen I am in fact signed in!

I hope that makes the issue clearer to understand and someone out there can help with it!!!

Thanks

Kudos0

And did you try uninstalling both ACDSee and Norton, restart the computer and then reinstall both?

Kudos0

Thanks

i have run the Norton remove/reinstall tool and it made no difference. I am reluctant to remove/reinstall ACDSEE because I don’t want to lose all my catalogue information.

Kudos0

Then maybe just run the installation program for ACDSee. That may have an option to repair the install.

Kudos0

Hello

Or perhaps just reinstall it on top of the other install. Back up the information first.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I've been having this Authentication Required issue with ACDSee for some time now.  ACDSee is the only thing that triggers this. 

Kudos0

Hi Steve

The saga continues.......Does it make any difference if you sign into Norton?  If so how does ACDSee work correctly and for how long?  Signing in seems to make no difference to mine after a while.  It's a real nuisance!

Have you tried to reinstall either of the programmes?

Miles

Kudos0

It seems to be an intermittent problem. Haven't paid close enough attention to figure out if there is a consistent trigger. I use ACDSee often. Have used it for many years with no issues. Sometime in the last few months when I open ACDSee it sometimes triggers the Norton authentication login.  After I input my Norton Login, everything goes back to normal. 

I have not tried reinstalling anything.  It is a nuisance bug, but nothing I can't live with. Reinstalling might trigger other problems or require reconfiguring things. I'd rather just live with the nuisance login bug.

Kudos0

Hello

Have you tried the Forum from ACDsee?

http://forum.acdsee.com/

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Kudos0

No. I have just been living with the problem. Posting here is all I've done about it.

Kudos0

Hi. It sounds like you might have a Norton subscription that also has an online backup function. To have that permanently fill in the authenticating window, do the following things :

1 ) Open the Norton program

2 ) click on the backup button in the middle

3 ) Click on the restore files button.

4 ) Click on View all under step 1

5 ) Click the renew button, it's listed at the end of the sentence above "Select the Source from which you would like to restore files".

You'll get the same authenticating popup then, fill in your Norton account password there and that could fix this.

Kudos0

At Last!  Thank you so much! Preliminary test shows that your advice has fixed it!!!  If you could offer a bit more of an explanation as to why I would be very grateful because I would like to post it on the ACDSee community site.

Many thanks.

**** Now here is the interesting bit ****

I had opened up ACDSee several times, restarted pc and opened ACDSee, no sing of 'Authentication required'. However as i was typing the above i was importing some images AND low and behold, as so many times before, 'Authentication required' when the import ends and I am asked if I want to view my images.  So it seems Ohfort, your solution doesn't work after all! Sorry!

I had marked it 'solution found' as well!!

Thanks

Kudos0

Didn't work for me. There is no renew button in step #5.

Kudos0

Select the little button after 'Restore Source'.

Kudos0

Did that. It did "refreshing restore locations" nothing more. Nothing else changed.

Kudos0

I figured acdsee and Norton were just doing the same action when running their backup modules, which is why acdsee triggers the Norton one. All I know is doing that action in Norton causes the backup module to stay signed in for longer.

If that doesn't fix it, I guess both manufacturers will have to look into this.

Kudos0

I use ACDSee products for photo processing. The most recent one of their products that I use is ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018. Whenever I open this programme I get a message that I must authenticate my account before I may proceed. The account that has to be authenticated is my Norton account. How is this happening when I am using a non-Norton product. The Photo Studio programme is installed on the computer and use of it does not require access to any website.

Garrett
Kudos0

This is already being discussed here.   https://community.norton.com/en/forums/authentication

Kudos0

We are now in June and no fix or peep from either Norton (no surprise there) or Acdsee! This is happening to many people in different parts of the world and neither of these companies want to get off their asses and fix this.

Kudos0

I have been getting this for some weeks on one PC - not the others.

I do not have ACDSee, no idea what it is.

I will have a look at the other thread.

Kudos0

Well, its still happening!!!!! Every time i open ACDSee Norton ask me to 'Authenticate' and sign in!!!!!!  Why? Why? Why? Why has nobody at Norton looked into this and FIXED it ?????????????????????????????????

Kudos0

As I wrote, I only get this on one PC.  It does not happen every time.  Seems to often happen when I open File Explorer to copy / move a file but not every time.  I will sometimes get one pop-up window about "Authentification" and other times there will half a dozen or more of the pop-ups. 

I now don't bother paying attention to the pop-ups, just close them and usually don't see them again.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.