• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Can easily bypass App Lock

I'm on the hunt for an app locking program that does not have this bug that my child discovered. Unfortunately, your free app App Lock has this glitch, too. I chatted with support, and they said to post here (case 35495871). You can lock apps, then go out and attempt to open the app. It will bring up the lock screen. Then if you repeatedly click the recent apps button, eventually the locked app will open without the lock screen, giving full access to the app. I've tested this on a Motorola Droid Maxx and a Samsung Tab4, and it works on both.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can easily bypass App Lock

How often do you have to tap the recent apps button for this to work? I just tried opening a locked app and tapped the recent apps button at least 30 times and the app was still locked.

What Android version do you have on your devices? I tried with an older HTC phone on Android 4.4.2, and a Samsung Tab A on Android 7.1

Are your devices rooted?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

My devices are not rooted, no.  I'm trying a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 right now, running Android 5.1.1.  (The Motorola I have is running Android 4.4.4, also not rooted.)  I only have to press the recent tabs button a few times for the browser screen to pop up unblocked.  I just tried it again, and I'm pressing it in bursts of 3-5 presses each, then waiting to see if it allows access.

I attempted to open chrome, and got the lock screen.  Then I pressed the home button to get back to the home screen.  Then, I pressed the recent apps button once so it showed me the small box of the app.  I clicked that box again and it brought me to the lock screen.  I then pressed the recent apps button in bursts of 3-5 taps each, paused, and tried again.  I probably did that 4 or 5 times until it popped the screen up with Chrome open and unblocked.

I could probably try to take a video of the process if it helps.

Kudos0

Is it just Chrome you are seeing this on, or all protected apps? 

I tried your process, using Chrome, on both my devices and still could not duplicate what you are seeing. 

You mention you have been looking for app lock type apps. Have you installed any other apps to try them. Did you fully remove them by clearing app data before uninstalling them, before you installed Norton's App Lock?

Have you restarted your device since installing App Lock?

A video might help, but you cannot post videos directly to the forums. You will need some kind of file service, Dropbox or the like to share the video.

Kudos0

I have been running AppLock by DoMobile for a few years now.  When my son discovered this glitch, and their customer support team offered no solution that worked, I decided to try a few others.  So, I uninstalled it from the tablet, and installed Norton's AppLock instead.  I tried to see if the glitch worked with Norton's, and it did.  I suppose I didn't clear the cache before uninstalling DoMobile's product, but I can try clearing cache now to see if it helps?

I definitely have restarted the device several times, both before and after installing App Lock.

I believe the glitch works on any locked app.  I've tried Chrome, Gmail, the preinstalled basic internet browser, and Google Play, and got it to work on all of them.

I'll try cleaning the cache and restarting.  If it still glitches, I'd like to take a video.  So a youtube link won't work?  I can put a file in dropbox if youtube won't work.

Kudos0

The cache for the old app would no longer be accessible to be removed. You would have to remove Norton's App Lock, restart the device and reinstall the old DoMobile App Lock. Then go in and delete the app data for that app and uninstall it. Restart the device and install Norton App Lock again.   Not really  sure that would be worth the time, but if you have some spare time......

A youtube link would be fine. 

Kudos0

Definitely worth my time if it solves the problem, heh!  I'll try that.

Kudos0

Ok, I cleared the data from Norton App Lock and uninstalled it, then restarted the tablet.  I then downloaded and installed DoMobile AppLock.  Just for good measure, I restarted again.  Then I set up the app with permissions and locked apps, and restarted again.  I tested it to make sure the glitch still worked, and found that it does.  I cleared the cache and data, and uninstalled it, then restarted again.  Then I downloaded Norton App Lock again and installed it.  I restarted, then set up all the permissions and locks.  I restarted again, and tested to see if it is working.  The glitch is still there, and I can still bypass it by rapid pressing of the recent apps button.

Video here: https://youtu.be/nxZu2UR-Gng

Kudos0

Oh, hallelujah!  I'm not sure if this button was there on the first version of Norton's that I installed, or not.  But this version I just installed has a "lock recent apps" toggle.  With that toggle on, I can no longer bypass the lock using that glitch.  If this is a new feature, THANK YOU!  If not, I apologize for missing that and wasting everyone's time.

Have a wonderful day.

Kudos0

Interesting video. But I still cannot duplicate on my devices. 

I'll pass this on to my Norton Contacts. Maybe they have ways to get logs to see what is happening.

Kudos0

Looks like our posts crossed.

Good news that that seems to fix it for you. But I do not have that setting checked and was still not able to reproduce your bypass.

But either way, it may still be a bug that needs squashing.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Kudos0

Yes, it certainly would be ideal if I didn't have to check that setting.  I appreciate you guys looking into it, and am happy to share any further feedback or help in any way I can.  Thanks for making a great product, and for great customer service.  :)

Kudos0

@Nemmer

I have heard back from my contacts.

What you are seeing has been reproduced on a few devices in the past. It does seem to be device specific, which is why I was not able to reproduce it. The work around that you found is what Norton has been suggesting for users that run across this bug. Unfortunately, the support reps you contacted were not able to find this information. The 'bad news' is, that as this affects very few specific devices, the powers that be feel it is better to just offer the work around, rather than create a fix that might have negative effects on the rest of the installed base. It has something to do with the fact that the recent apps button can be programmed to do different things on different devices. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.