• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

hacker or bug Disk Utility

I notice my MacBook Air acting strange so I went to MacOS Utilities Disk Utility and see this new user FFFFEEEE-DDDD-CCCC-BBBB-AAAA000000C9 and has password too.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: hacker or bug Disk Utility

Hello Scott. This Apple forums thread discusses what you are seeing.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.529 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

Is there way I can put pic here so you know what I'm talking about?

Kudos0

Scott follow this article to post a photo: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.529 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.1.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 1.98
Kudos0

Kudos0

did it work?

Kudos0

Indeed so!! Looking at it now. From viewing the screenshot there doesn't appear to be a password auto filled. Can you rename the account to Guest? Please follow this article as it appears your root permissions have somehow become corrupted or there is an infection on the system. The latter would be a not so likely scenario based on this article. I would also download and install MBAM for MAC just to be safe.

Cheers

Kudos0

It's a new virus, it came from my network what apple tech say.I have to send that MacBook Air back to them and they will give me free one. Somehow it bypass all the security in Mac OS 10.13.5 . and apple tech got affected with virus to when they did remote connect. I appreciate your trying to help me thanks

Kudos0

Sad hearing the bad news but at least Apple is owning up to their coding vulnerability and replacing the unit for you. Glad we could assist.

Cheers

Kudos1 Stats

Have you guys ever heard anyone else having this problem yet? And how do you get a virus just being on a network and did not download or open a website or email.I'm wondering if Apple is going to warn people about this?

Kudos0

What OSX version are you on?

Kudos0

MacOS High Sierra version:10.13.5

Kudos0

Then your system should be patched against the root user vulnerability discovered in November 2017. The account you are seeing is an attempt to "unlocked" your locked MAC. Have you installed MBAM for MAC and ran a system scan? I cannot find any references where the account you are seeing is a virus nor having been discovered as coming through your network. Did you computer come with this version installed? 10.13.5 was just released June 1st therefore I believe you upgraded from a previous version. What was the version you upgraded from? 10.13.1 or 10.13.2? Did you speak with authentic Apple Care personnel? Any recent app installed NOT from the Apple Store?

Cheers

Kudos0

macOS Sierra was it when I got it from store.  The problem is there was 2 my and that one in the pic u see. And there was only 3 things I download from outside the App Store  it was Norton Quichen and Malwarebytes I pay for . Yes it was apple care but I call them apple tech . I had to go to the apple store too. My other computer was not affected just that one and the tech people say it was a virus.

Kudos0

Wondering what this is " Norton Quichen ", is that a typo or two separate apps? I cannot find a reference for it as its written. Did you get your Norton product here? Or from another vendor? That could be an issue. And was your support from here? Just touching all the bases.

Cheers

Kudos0

Hello, I have the same problem, it stared a week ago. My primary disk is unmounted, when I try to monte it it wont accept my password on my user, and also appear that other user that I don t know the password. My disk is encrypted so I cant get my info out. Can someone help me?

Kudos0

All: This is beginning to sound like ransomware or an bogus download from the Apple Store. Apple support will be your best asset with unmounted hard drives not taking the appropriate credentials and being encrypted.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.