• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Core and Comcast Internet

I'm going to have to switch back to getting my internet service from Comcast.  Is there any problem with connecting the Norton Core to Comcast's equipment?  Anything special I will need to do?

Thanks

Ron

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Core and Comcast Internet

Hello Ron. So that we are both on the same page. You will not be renewing your Norton Core Security Plus subscription, removing Norton Core Security Plus, then installing Comcast version? Please read this article , under the topic "What happens if I don't renew my subscription". Certain functions of the Core router will not be available without the renewal.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.285 / NSBU 22.15.1.8 / Norton Core v.267
Kudos0

SoulAsylum  Thanks for the reply.   - No, I have no plans to remove my Norton Core Security Plus subscription, I will not be using the Comcast version of Norton.

I guess I should have been more specific.  I was only looking for info and connecting the Norton Core to the Comcast hardware. I was told that their modems include a built in router, so I was not sure how that connects to the Norton Core.  With my current provider I connect directly to a ethernet cable without a modem.

Ron

Kudos0

Understood. As you are direct ethernet connect to your current provider. To have the same scenario with Comcast/Xfinity you would have to talk to their sales department about them setting that same scenario up with them. Otherwise you would use their modem/router in either a "bridged" setup where their device has its wireless and DHCP disabled so that Core is the only device distributing your DHCP addresses on your network. Or your setup would be in NAT-NAT in the event you also have TV and VOIP voice services which depend on the Comcast devices to run its DHCP for those services to function. I have NAT-NAT setup with FIOS with Triple-Play, my FIOS combo modem router is setup with its wireless disabled, its DHCP remaining ENABLED so TV/Voice function. I have Core connected to LAN port 1 on the FIOS device then to a LAN port on Core. Works flawlessly.

Talk to Comcast about your current setup and whether they can accommodate that with their services since direct ethernet is the optimum setup for Core in my view.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.285 / NSBU 22.15.1.8 / Norton Core v.267
Kudos0

Thanks for the new response.  I will talk to them.

Ron

Kudos1 Stats

I have my internet with Comcast/Xfinity.  I don't have any VOIP services just straight internet so I don't need to use their modem.  I have had my own modem for years so I didn't have to pay rent.  I just hooked up the Core to the modem with no problems.

Kudos1 Stats

I didnt have any problems connecting up to a Comcast modem/router. Just put it in bridge mode  ( there were directions from comcast on how to use your own router, follow those!) and be sure to connect the Core to #1 ethernet port. Doesnt work in any of the other ports.

Kudos0

Thanks.

Kudos0

Norton Core is totally different from Comcast’s Norton Security Suite. For a better understanding of what Norton Core is, and to know the pricing detail, go to the following link.https://us.norton.com/core.  Charter Spectrum services have many advantages over other providers when it comes to affordability and security. BTW get the one you are comfortable with, be it Comcast or Verizon.

Kudos0

ashleyrosa The OP is concerned with using Comcast hardware, IE modem/router and connectivity to that.

Cheers

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.