• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Core blocking Printer/Scanner and IOT equipment discovery

Router is running 180721_260.   I have an Epson WF-3620 Printer/Scanner.  I can print to it, but the scanner software has stopped working because it cannot locate the device on the network.  The printer is on the NCore wifi network.

Also I have an Pentair Screenlogic IOT device, and phone software.  The phone software can no longer locate the equipment on the local network.  The equipment is on the LAN wire off of the NCore router.

Both issues popped up about 2 months ago when the NCore updated it's firmware.  I have verified that both pieces of equipment work as expected on a different network.

Whatever new policies were introduced in this firmware version, it broke other network equipment from communicating.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Core blocking Printer/Scanner and IOT equipment discovery

Hello Brian. The latest Core firmware should be 180820_267, Android app is at version 1.80, iOS app 1.81. There aren't any release notes posted so my info comes from my app, Google Play and Apple Store. Please verify your versions for us.

Power cycle your Core, if you haven't already. See if you get a fresh firmware update in the event you are not on the current release.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.194 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270 on Android
Kudos0

Rebooted Core.  Firmware is now at 180820_267.  Android App version is 1.80.  After the update I still cannot access my scanner with the EEpson Scan app on my PC, and neither the Pentair screen logic Android app, not the Windows PC app see the Screenlogic hardware on the network.

I still believe this is a Norton Core issue since the devices work on a non Norton Core network.

Kudos0

I've had a similar issue with my HP 5660 printer. Never had a problem with the printer on my previous Netgear Nighthawk router, but Core does not play well with the printer. Ended up giving up trying to get the printer on the network.  Since I do not use the printer a lot I just carry the laptop upstairs, and connect to the HP 5660 via USB. It is not aesthetic, and not spouse approved, to plug the printer into the Core USB. I've had quite a few issues with the Core, Some seen here. Some not. Surprises me because I've been using Norton products all the way back since Norton Commander without incident.

Kudos0

Hello

I'm using my Epson ET-2750 wireless printer without any issues that I know of. It suits my needs. I am always checking for driver and firmware updates for Win 7 Pro. In fact, my Core is still seeing my old printer and I'm not sure we still have it. My husband is able to use it also with his Windows 10 laptop.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

Have you just started using the Core, or did the scanner software just stop working?

If it was working before on the Core, it is possible that with a firmware update, something got reset that is affecting the scanner. Have you tried reinstalling the scanner software? I had printer/scanner issues in the past after a change of network router and settings. Reinstalling the software resolved the issue.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Pre-ordered the Core, had it for a long time.  Everything worked and then these 2 items stopped.  I can print.  The printer is on the Core WiFi network and works fine.  The problem with the printer is the SCANNER does not work with any PC on the network.  The scanner software broadcasts for "any" printer, and the scanner/printer (probably with LLDP or similar) answers the broadcast.  The software no longer sees the scanner on the network in this fashion.

Kudos0

All: There are several threads going concerning issues with the current Core firmware. And the list of issues gets bigger every couple of days. I removed Core entirely from my account, then setup from scratch. Hoping that the devices that were long gone from the network AND not on premises wouldn't re-populate. They indeed did leaving the same issues as before. The Core Android app version 1.80 did fix the issue where checking bandwidth usage would populate a subscription renewal screen vice the info asked for. Waiting to hear from the dev team and admin's to figure out what is going on.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/core-firmware-ver-267-bugs

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/core-keeps-telling-me-my-subscription-expiring-its-not

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/error-occurred-while-accessing-your-settings-data

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/managed-blocked-sites

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/guest-network-norton-core-no-longer-working

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1809 / build 17763.194 / NSBU 22.16.2.22 / Norton Core v.270 on Android
Kudos0

Soul these issues you are having seem to be with the Android version.  I didn't have the old device issue or the subscription at all with the firmware upgrade or before the upgrade of the firmware.   

Kudos0

The problem with the printer is the SCANNER does not work with any PC on the network.

That is the same problem I had when I changed some network hardware/settings. I could print, but could no longer scan. Reinstalling the printer's software fixed it for me.  Just my experience.

Kudos0

Tried to update my Printer/Scanner firmware but the update software needed to find the device on the network through some broadcast, and it could not find it.  I just ran a network cable to my printer, and disabled WiFi so it is directly connected to the same switch that my PC is connected to.  My PC can now see my Epson WS-3620 Printer/Scanner so I can update the firmware, and will probably leave it in this configuration.  So again, removing the Norton Core from the equation fixed this one issue.   I can now also see the Scanner in the Scanner application (before updating the Printer Firmware)

I still cannot find see the IOT Pentair equipment, as it is on the other side of the Norton Core network switch.

Norton Core still broken when it comes to allowing certain packets through, and is not configurable.  

Does not work with LLDP broadcasts:
[PC]-------[Norton Core][Wifi/Ethernet]-------[Printer]
                   |______[Internet]

Works to Access printer through broadcast, but cannot access IOT equipment:
[PC]------[Unmanaged switch]------[Printer]
                 |_____[Norton Core][Wifi/Ethernet]---[IOT Pentair] 
                                 |____[Internet]

Summary:

1. Moving my printer/scanner from WiFi to the same network segment as my PC, not routed through the Norton Core, fixed this issue

2.  Norton Core sitll seems to block LLDP and similar traffic ( I am going to ruin a network sniff to verify)

Kudos0

Tried to update my Printer/Scanner firmware

Just to clarify. I was suggesting reinstalling the printer/scanner Software. I did nothing with the printer's firmware.

Kudos0

Brian, have you connected your printer directly to the Core USB 3.0 port, allowed Core to ID it on the LAN side. Then setup the wireless portion afterwards? My cannon AIO is setup USB to my main computer via USB and works when the computer that its directly connected to via USB is shut down through wireless. I don't have it set under managed group, nor QOS. The wireless portion prints from every device in the home AND they have the appropriate WS drivers installed on each system.

You can also disable the Core DPI (deep packet inspection) temporarily to see if that is causing the issue. Reset the firewall within your Norton product as well may help.

Cheers

Kudos0

Thanks for the input.  The printing part of the printer always worked.  The "scanner detection" now works because I have taken the printer/scanner off of the Core network and it is connected to the same non-Core switch as my PC.  However any laptop on the WiFi network cannot see the scanner part of the printer/scanner combo, because Norton Core is blocking the traffic that detects the scanner.

Disabling Core DPI (deep packet inspection), which would be useless because it re-enables itself in 15 mins, does not help.  Still cannot access the scanner through the scanner PC app, or the IOT equipment on the other side of the Norton Core WiFi.

I must say, from day 1, the Norton Core has been a disappointment with it's lack of configure options, and not being reliable the first 6 months I had it, and I left it as a separate device to auto-update firmware as it could.  It eventually became semi-stable but still lacks functionality and configuration that has been in WiFi devices for the past 10+ years.

Welcome back to 2008.  On a scale of 1-10, it gets a 4.

Kudos0

I understand Peterweb.  I already had latest software, I figure I would try the printer PC firmware also.

Kudos0

I understand Peterweb.  I already had latest software, I figure I would try the printer PC firmware also.

I understand that you had the latest software and it was working. That was the same situation I was in with my scanner problem. But it seems it did not automatically pick up the network changes I had made. I had to reinstall to get it to detect the new network setup.

You have not confirmed whether you tried reinstalling that software? 

Kudos0

Sorry, yes I had reinstalled it about a month ago, no change to scanner detection.

Kudos0

I finally managed to get my printer on my network; however, neither Windows nor the HP setup software could locate it . Tweaked the firewall on Norton Sec, but printer could still not be located. Uninstalls/Reinstalls, firmware updates, Restarts, and all that done. Going back to connecting laptop to printer USB. Will try wireless once again when some of the Core bugs are worked out.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update. I'm seeing a number of issues. That said, I'm not seeing any evidence that they are affecting Core's ability to perform it's primary, and most important function of keeping bad actors off the network. So, I'm okay. I think the firmware and/or app updates to address issues will come as soon as possible.

Kudos0

Micky just curious have you tried making a wired connection to the Core with your printer if possible?

Kudos1 Stats

I've not wired the printer directly to the Core yet. We are having renovations in the house at present. And it's an obstacle course even without a printer in hand. I rarely print out anything anyway. From time to time I take a hard copy of something to my safe deposit box, but that's it. Plus, if I keep the printer off the network it's one less device sitting out there doing nothing while it is subject to attack.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.