• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Core keeps telling me my subscription is expiring. It's not!

The app on my phone keeps telling me that my subscription to "Norton Core Security Plus" expires in a couple of weeks.  The subscription is on an auto renew basis and if I go to the website and look there it tells me that the subscription to the exact same product is active and the next billing date is 10/1/2018 (which of course is a month after it is telling me that it will expire.....).

In addition if I click on the renew button in the app it just keeps trying to load something then eventually gives me a "No server connection" error and tells me to check my network settings.  Every other app on my phone can access the net and while I type (on my computer) this I am streaming from NetFlix (on an Amazon Fire) so I know my network is running fine.....

The app version is 1.67.  I have cleared the app cache and logged out and back in.  It is still giving me the notification.

Am I going to run out of the subscription or is this just a problem with the first round of subscription renews coming in?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Core keeps telling me my subscription is expiring. It's not!

If you open Norton Security on your computer, or Norton Mobile Security on your phone, how many days remaining is shown for your subscription?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Phone just says active and computer says active and enrolled in monthly billing.

I think I get what you were going for though.  I did let my old subscription to Norton Security w/ Backup expire when I got the Core but it expired on 10/5/2017 so it shouldn't be picking up on that.

It's really odd that it seems to be thinking that it's about to expire and yet also will not let me try to renew it (even though I don't need to).

Kudos0

I should point out as well (for further info) that I saw at least two comments over on the Google Play store page for the Core app complaining about exactly the same thing.  

Kudos0

Have you restarted the phone? Maybe that will refresh everything in the Core app, and give the correct information again.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Should have mentioned in original post that I'd tried that but it was a couple of days ago when the message first started popping up.  Tried it again just to be sure and still got the message.

I also just uninstalled the app on my phone and reinstalled it just to really clear out all the data and the first thing that I got after logging in was the message about expiring subscription.

At this point I think it is not picking up on the monthly renewal part or something and just seeing how much time is left in this month.  Although, now that I think about it that doesn't make sense either since the web site is telling me that the next charge will be on 10/1 and the app is telling me it will expire at the end of this month.  The two dates just don't mesh but it is clearly confused about something.

Kudos0

Hello Paul

When did you get your Core installed? The Core first came out in Aug. 2017, so the monthly fees would have just started if you set up the Core last Aug. On your computer go to Help>Subscription Status and check what does that say? You can also try restarting your Core and see if the error still is continuing. If you got your Core last Aug., this would be the first monthly charge. Do not reset the Core, restart the Core. If you want to try Customer Support.   www.norton.com/contactcs 

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.15.1.8 Core Firmware 267 I E 11
Kudos0

floplot,

Rebooting the router didn't fix the issue. 

I pre-pordered the Core and while I don't explicitly recall when it got here I am pretty sure it was in August.  Also, both the website and Norton Security on my computer tell me that I am already in the monthly payment subscription.  The website tells me that my next payment is October 1.  It is only the app that seems to not realize that my subscription is not about to run out.

I don't have a massive amount of time to try and deal with customer support right now but should in a couple of days and intend to contact them at that point.  

I do know, from reading the comments on the Google Play page for the app that I am not the only one dealing with this so I'm guessing it is just a misconfiguration on their end or something.

Kudos0

Exactly the same problem. Subscription Active, Next Billing Date 10/1/2018, get a message in the app that my Subscription expires in 12 days (as of today).

That's about August 30th - looks as if the Core and app want subscription for August 31st and through September.

I received an email from Norton saying "Your subscriptions to Norton Core Security Plus and Norton Security with Backup were renewed on July 31, 2018."

I have restarted the Core, no joy. Norton has a problem with Subscription status.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay (Xerox PARC)
Kudos0

Hello garten

I believe you should only have 1 subscription. When you installed your Core, did you call Customer Support to get your subscription for Norton Security with Backup added to your Core subscription? I had about a month left on my Norton Subscription with Backup, They added my remaining days to the Norton Security Core Plus subscription and destroyed my Norton Security with Backup Subscription. The only difference between the 2 subscriptions is the number of devices allowed.

I would contact Customer Support and ask them to combine your 2 subscriptions. You have already paid for the Core

www.norton.com/contactcs 

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.15.1.8 Core Firmware 267 I E 11
Kudos0

floplot,

Interesting. Chatted with Support and the billing amount was correct, but the the Core vs Security with Backup was corrected (I think). Had nothing to do with the Core Subscription error.

According to the Norton rep:

"The email and my Account say next Next Billing Date 10/1/2018 - looks as if the Core and app think there's no Subscription for September

Chandrasekar:  I need to inform you that it is an ongoing issue and our engraining team working on these alert, do not worry on it.

Chandrasekar:  I will show correct info automatically."

So maybe this is nothing to worry about. I now show 11 days until my subscription theoretically runs out...we'll see what happens...

Kudos0

Same thing.  Countdown continues on the phone "Subscription expires in 11 days", even though my CC was charged $10.64 on August 4th "Norton Antivirus Renewal"    Waiting to see what happens in 11 days, myself.

Edit:  Account shows Norton Core Security Plus subscription is active and next billing date is 10/3/2018  (not sure what happened to September if August was billed?)

It shows the August 4th was for Norton Core Security Subscription renewal ($6.67) and Norton Security Premium Subscription renewal ($3.32)

Kudos0

I am having a similar issue.  On the app, when I open the broadband consumption section, all I get is a renewal page instead of broadband usage by device and the last 30 days etc.....   Not much help from Norton Chat other than the engineers are aware of the problem and will be fixing soon.  No time frame as to how long "soon" will be.  My subscription doesn't run out until 6/2019.

Kudos0

Hello Joyce5133

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

What version of the Core are you presently using?  I believe version 267 might still be given out in a phased out manner. Have you just started using the Core recently? Are you using Android or iOS?

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos0

I started using core in June. Firmware version is 267. I am using Android. I was able to get all the broadband data when I first started using core but not now. Seems to be the only thing that is not working.
Kudos0

Hello Joyce

Please try this. On the main page of the program, Help>Account Information>Subscription Status. See if that fixes your issue Please use a Window Administrative Account to do this. Please let us know how you made out.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos0

I went into Norton on my windows computer, went to subscription status as instructed, it communicated with norton server and came back with You are protected and expires in 297 days.  I then went back to android Norton Core App, Internet speed, Broadband consumption, and the screen still comes up that says renew now instead of displaying all the devices usages, last 3 days, last month etc.......

Thanks for your knowledge in assisting to attempt to fix this.

Kudos0

Concurring with Joyce, please see screenshot. I will be reporting this as a bug to the dev team. Everyone can sign out from their account info page within the app and reboot their phone. Sign in again and report if anything changes in the meantime. I did so without anything having changed when done. I might add I am NOT on automatic billing and have 35 days left on my Core Security Plus subscription.

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.285 / NSBU 22.15.1.8 / Norton Core v.267
Kudos0

I had the same result after signing out of app and rebooting my android.
Kudos0

All: Core Admin has been notified and is passing these issues along to the dev team for action.

Cheers

Retired military (Navy 1980-2002) "From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1803 / build 17134.285 / NSBU 22.15.1.8 / Norton Core v.267
Kudos0

So, I get the message that my "Subscription has expired" even though in the "Settings" page in the app (and on My Account on my PC) it's "Active".

How hard can this be? Fix it Norton!

I've been a Norton user since the Peter Norton days of DOS, but I'm going to seriously look at the D-Link AC2600 Wi-Fi Router Powered by McAfee DIR-2680 if it ever comes out.

I tried filing as false advertising complaint with the FTC about the DNS issue, but it went nowhere.

Now that I'm paying for this nonsense, it's getting way too old way too fast.

Kudos0

There's also the F-Secure Sense available now. https://www.f-secure.com/en_US/web/home_us/sense

Norton, get your act together and pay attention to your users - you have competition.

Kudos0

Kudos0

BTW, I received this email from "betabound".

Assuming it's real, you've got to be kidding me..."the next Norton Core Whole Home WiFi System"? So this one we have now that doesn't work right and never has (and that we've been Beta testers for anyway) is already close to obsolete? Well, if you can't fix it, replace it and for all of you users who trusted Norton to provide a great product with adequate support in the original Core, have a nice day...

"Norton Core Whole Home WiFi System Beta

Hi there,

We're reaching out to you because your email was provided to us by the Norton Core team. As a potential candidate for their upcoming test, they've partnered with us (Betabound) to offer you a chance to try out the next Norton Core Whole Home WiFi System.

As you may know, this router is designed to protect both your home's network and network-connected devices (such as computers, smartphones, and tablets) whilst giving you whole home WiFi coverage.

To learn more about Betabound and how you can apply for a chance to be a part of this test, click the link below.

Thanks and best of luck!
The Betabound Team"

Kudos0

After the update last night, my problem has been solved. I can now see all bandwidth consumption and not the renewal form.
Kudos0

Hello Joyce

Glad to hear that your issue has been solved with the 1.80 Android App. Since there are no release notes posted yet, we don't really know what the App did.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello, I'm following up to see if the last app update cleared your issue @Paul D

Kudos0

Not Paul D, but I'm still getting the message on my Android that Norton Core has now expired.  Can't make it go away without rebooting the phone, until the next time I launch the Core app and the process repeats itself.

Kudos0

Yeah, the issue with the notification has not gone away.  However.  I think the Core is working as it is supposed to.  A couple of days ago (after the app started claiming my subscription had expired) the Core did block an "unsafe" site.  I'm guessing that if the Core really thought the subscription has expired it wouldn't have blocked the "unsafe" site.

When I talked to support (prior to the expiration notice) they said everything was "fine" and not to worry so I was kind of waiting for something like the blocked site to hit before believing everything really was "fine".  It does seem to be though. 

Of course given that they updated the app recently I'm really surprised that I'm still getting the expiration notification.  Seems like it should have been an easy fix (although without knowing what the exact issue is it may not be so easy to fix.....).

At this point I'm willing to trust that everything is "fine", but if I'm still getting those messages in a month or so I'm going to start raising a fuss simply because I shouldn't be getting them at that point....

Kudos0

Same here. The message has not gone away and pops up regularly. I also agree the Core seems to be working correctly.

Kudos0

The latest version of the Android app resolved an issue where the Bandwidth Consumption screen was incorrectly prompting you to renew.

But if you are still seeing the prompt to renew in the latest mobile app (iOS or Android), please shake your phone and submit the logs to us.  Please include your forum name and reference this thread in the feedback box when you submit the issue and we'll take a look.

Kudos0

@steve_dang

The issue you addressed has never been my issue.  My issue is that I keep getting notices that my subscription has expired despite the fact that the account website clearly shows that I have an active monthly subscription and that I have paid and it renews on 10/1, so clearly not expired!

As requested though I did send in logs.

Kudos0

Paul. Just a bit ago I reset my Core to factory to correct some issues similar to yours. I selected NOT to restore the previous settings, devices and names stored in the cloud during onboarding then completed the setup. Core is now clear of the junk that was stored in the cloud. My subscription is correct, device listings are as they should be and accurate. Write down your current passcodes and give this a shot if feasible.

Cheers

Kudos1 Stats

SoulAsylum,

I was hoping to avoid doing that.  I generally need an internet connection at most times and I don't look forward to the hassle going around and making sure that every device is still connected to the internet after the reset.  I tend towards the workaholic and don't like taking time away from work to deal with issues like this.

If I can find some time in which I don't need an internet connection I will see if that works.

However, to be honest, I shouldn't need to do that for this issue.  The app should be able to check the subscription server and determine that I have a valid subscription.  I never want to state unequivocally that it should be an "easy" given that I don't know the root cause of the issue.  I'm having hard time with this however, as I really don't know how hard it can be for the app to correctly check for that status and just overwrite any data that is stored in the cloud.  A factory reset just shouldn't be needed to get the correct subscription status. 

Norton Mobile (on the same phone) is able to correctly determine the subscription status so clearly their apps are able to this properly.  Just not the Core app for some reason.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here I'm just getting a little frustrated.  Not with you, just with the situation.  A factory reset just shouldn't be required here, in my opinion.  They should  be able to fix this without that.  Factory resets should always be a measure of last resort to fix catastrophic problems, not something like this.  Again, simply in my opinion. 

Kudos0

I agree!! Just offering an alternative solution which isn't always something everyone has the time for. Hope support gets it straightened out for you.

Cheers

Kudos0

All good! Just needed to blow off a little steam about his. :)

I'm going to not do a factory reset until (if) I hear back from support so they can maybe diagnose this.  If I haven't heard back and it's not been fixed in a couple of weeks I will just take the time to do a factory reset to clear up the problem.

It would be nice if they gave us the option of just clearing the cloud data without having to resort to a factory reset.  That seems like it would fix quite a few of the problems I've seen here (orphaned entries for devices long since disconnected etc...).

Kudos0

@Paul I think I got your logs.  I think we have an idea of what's going on and why you're seeing it in your case.  If anyone else is having this issue, please submit the logs for me to review to ensure we cover all the cases.  Please reference this thread and mention your forum name.

Also, the subscription issues are not related to the firmware.  This is likely due to mobile app issues incorrectly prompting for renewal.  Will keep this thread posted.

Kudos0

steve_dang, 

Thank you fpr the update.  I also probably used my full last name in the report.  Forgot that I'd shortened it to just first letter here. 

Hope they will be enough to get it diagnosed! 

Kudos0

@steve_dang - Log sent. 

p.s.  ...and Thank you!!!

Kudos1 Stats

@X_Code_X Got your logs.  You appear to be facing the same issue.  Mobile app is incorrectly prompting you.

Kudos0

Just got the error and sent my logs. Hope it helps.

Kudos0

@steve_dang

Thank you for stepping into the issues for a resolution.

Kudos0

@garlen Thanks for the logs.  Looks like you also have the same issue with the Android app incorrectly prompting for renewal.