• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos3 Stats

Norton Safe Web v3.1.0.2 - What is the Yahoo Vendor Feature?

The change log for Norton Safe Web v3.1.0.2 (released 03-Oct-2018) on the Firefox AMO store states:

-Yahoo vendor feature added
-Minor bug fixes

What is the purpose / function of the Yahoo vendor feature?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Safe Web v3.1.0.2 - What is the Yahoo Vendor Feature?

Although i haven't been able to find definitive information on this, i want to venture a guess and say that this addon is designed to prevent fraud?  I have attempted to e-mail Mozilla on this, however, not sure i really e-mailed a formal support e-mail (laughs)  To be honest, i'm really sick and tired of these companies that don't provide users a formal support e-mail OR 1-800 to reach out.  Just as bad as STEAM "support" and makes me all the happier that i do not use FireFox.  Another aggravating thing is when you're in an infinite loop of pages trying to get to the support page, and, in the end, they just direct you to post a question and you have to hope that someone will have a qualitative answer. 

Regards,

H.B. 

Kudos1 Stats

The Yahoo Vendor feature was added to Norton Safe Web extension, not the Firefox browser (I assume Chrome users will be offered the same v3.1.0.2 update after it's been "beta-tested" by Firefox users), so it's Symantec/Norton who should be providing answers.

There is a program called Norton Shopping Guarantee where merchants pay a substantial fee to Symantec have their site endorsed by Symantec. Shoppers enrolled in the plan receive a free certificate that gives them Identity Theft Protection, Purchase Guarantee and Lowest Price Guarantee for 30 days if they make a purchase on the website.  In October 2016, Symantec added a feature to Norton Safe Search (powered by the Ask.com search engine) that would highlight these participating merchants in the search results to drive traffic to these online stores.  See Rainbow_2's image in How to Get Rid of Shopping Guarantee from Chrome and user complaints about how this Norton Shopping Guarantee feature could not be disabled in their Norton Toolbar extension. Symantec eventually released a fix in Norton v22.8.1.14 that allowed users to hide the Norton Shopping Guarantee icon in their Norton Toolbar.

I found a bit of information on a similar program called Yahoo!Stores where online vendors pay Yahoo! a monthly fee plus a percentage of their sales to list their company on a searchable database at http://shopping.yahoo.com. I'm guessing that Symantec has partnered with Yahoo! and agreed to show some sort of "Yahoo! approved" icon on the Norton Safe Web extension or Norton Safe Search search results to try and drive traffic to the online shopping sites of these participating vendors.

Kudos2 Stats

...and further to my previous post, what really concerns me (besides the fact that Symantec appears to have partnered with Yahoo!, the same company that waited 3 years to inform 3 billion customers that their Yahoo! Account had been hacked in 2013 - see the NYT article <here>) is that Question # 6 of the current Norton Safe Web Extension survey seems to imply that Symantec is thinking about forcing Norton users to install and activate the Norton Safe Web extension if they don't want to see a red "x" in the Norton system tray icon of their main Norton antivirus product.  Am I interpreting that question incorrectly? Here's a few leading questions from that survey:

Q4: Not having this extension active means you are not protected from Phishing and other web based attacks.  Knowing this, I plan to:
       a) Install and activate the extension
       b) Leave it turned off

Q6: If Norton set my product state to red when the extension is not active, I would feel:
       a) Glad to have the warning
       b) Indifferent
       c) Annoyed
(Hint: I answered "c - Annoyed")

The Norton Safe Web and Safe Search browser extension are free, so Symantec has the right to partner with Ask.com, Yahoo! or any other company they choose and generate revenue by tracking user browsing habits or earning pay-by-click fees by driving traffic to certain websites. As a paying Norton AV customer I should also have the right not to install and activate browser extensions if I'm uncomfortable with the way Symantec is using the data they scrape off my system and share with partner companies.

Kudos0

Hello again lmacri,

Yeah, when i saw that you had mentioned FireFox, i immediately started researching down that path; the funny thing is, i was thinking it might have something to do with the Norton Shopping Guarantee (and why i mentioned about preventing fraud) however, because that has been in existence for a while now, i wasn't necessarily inclined to post a full disclosure on that.  That said, i agree with you about being wary of a partnership between Norton and Yahoo.  In my experience, Yahoo is a garbage company.  I remember having their e-mail at one point, and it just got spammed to oblivion which is pretty amazing considering that i don't typically give my e-mail out.  Further, at one point (years ago) i thought i heard that they were supposedly bringing someone in as the CEO to clean up the company, then, (in more recent years) i heard that that person really did not do a good job, on and on.  What i also found interesting (when i was on the Yahoo homepage) i see a heading for tumblr.  I guess they assumed ownership of that platform?  Good luck with that, in run-ins i've had with t., it was either malicious attacks or highly inappropriate content. 

Regards,

H.B.   

Kudos0

Yes today I was stopped from accessing my Portfolio in Yahoo which has worked fine for donkey years.

I was able to get around the problem by disabling Norton Web Safe the add on in Firefox.

Kudos0

kiwipaul:

Yes today I was stopped from accessing my Portfolio in Yahoo which has worked fine for donkey years. I was able to get around the problem by disabling Norton Web Safe the add on in Firefox.

Hi kiwipaul:

K Quail is posting about a similar problem in Norton suddenly started calling my Yahoo Portfolio site a malicious site.  I don't know if this is a false positive detection or if the site is being legitimately blocked because of adware or some other threat on the finance.yahoo.com site. It's always possible that Yahoo! recently changed the URL for the My Profile login and Norton Safe Web is now detecting the new login page as a phishing site that is trying to steal your login credentials.  If you have a bookmark in your browser that takes you directly to the My Profile page go to https://finance.yahoo.com/ and click the My Portfolio link there just in case the URL in your bookmark is out-of-date.

I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound like your problem is related to the new Yahoo Vendor feature that was added to Norton Safe Web v3.1.0.2.

Kudos1 Stats

I have asked for some explanation of this new Yahoo Vendor feature.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

If you have a bookmark in your browser that takes you directly to the My Profile page

I used the bookmark initially but then tried from the main Yahoo page and same result. It does go to the correct location because I can see my portfolio for about 2 secs before I get the Safe Web warning page. Ignoring the warning just gets me to another screen with tech details and no where else to go.

Disabling safe web works fine and I will leave it disabled until my next Norton update.

Kudos0

peterweb:

Um, any explanation?

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_:
peterweb:

Um, any explanation?

Well, I'm a little embarrassed.     It seems I forgot to actually ask, or something happened where my post did not get published. 

I have now asked and verified that the post is there. Let's see if we get an answer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Hello

I will see if I can get some information from the Safe Web Team about the Yahoo Feature. I'll see what I can find out.

Have a Nice Day and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.