• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Protection update

I would like to know if it is normal that even if I checked Live Update to be activated automatically and that the status of my protection is shown to be Actual  if I use  Live Update 9 times out of 10 it does find updates? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Protection update

Automatic LiveUpdate runs about every hour. But new updates are posted to the update servers as they are ready. So If you are manually running LiveUpdate 30 minutes after the last auto run, there is often some new update(s) available. If you had not run the manual update, the automatic update would have downloaded them on the next auto update.

Totally normal.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thank you for your response. I understand the 1 hour interval updates but expected that it would be at least automatically activited upon Windows boot up. Today for example even 10 minutes after boot up it did not update and a manual update found a major update?

Kudos0

As part of Norton's attempt to not bog down a user's system, I believe there is about a 10 minute delay at bootup before Norton starts running background tasks like LiveUpdate. Users used to complain that Norton slowed the boot process too much.

Kudos0

I agree that at boot up it did slow up the process but today I waited more than 30 minutes and when I used Live Update it found an update. And I can sometimes find 2 or even 3 updates whithin a 4 5 hour period??? Although my main concern is the status says that the protection is up to date and that in fact it is not! This is annoying to say the least!

Kudos0

today I waited more than 30 minutes and when I used Live Update it found an update. And I can sometimes find 2 or even 3 updates whithin a 4 5 hour period???

This observation can be explained by my post above, about updates posted to the servers as they are available. If you run LiveUpdate now and find an update, you could run it again in 10 minutes and find 1,2 3 or more updates. It all has to do with the timing  of Norton posting the updates and your running LiveUpdate.

You are still protected. Unless Norton was checking for and running LiveUpdate constantly, you could always be behind 1 or two updates. That is why Norton uses multiple layers of protection to cover our computers.

The Up to Date status is as of the last automatic run of LiveUpdate.

Kudos0

Yes thank you! I did understand your previous post I guess what I can't come to terms with is the fact that there are so many updates on a per hour and/or per day basis. Do you think they are all concerning new virus definitions? If so how are we protected from the new ones if we do not constantly use Live Update in a manual fashion?

Kudos0

It is not surprising that there could be that many updates in a day. There are tens of thousands of different variants of malware released every day. It is a game of Wack-a-Mole for the anti virus developers to detect then create definitions to detect all this new malware.

As I noted, the multiple layers of protection in Norton provide the necessary protection for your device. Heuristic and behavior based detections help protect against these zero day infections.

And as long as you are staying on the lighter side of the internet, and not clicking on links in emails, you should not need to worry.

Kudos0

Hello AptivaMan,

Could you please let us know, which version of product you are using?

Thanks, A J

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.