• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Word 2000 problem with Norton Security under Windows 10

Hi there,

Having jumped from XP straight to Windows 10, I have been using the latter for a few months on a new machine, with Windows Security installed throughout.

For various reasons, I have both Office 2000 and Office 2010 installed on this machine, and all components of both have worked fine until recently.  In particular, .DOC and .RTF files are associated with Word 2000 and, again until recently, double clicking on such a file (e.g. in File Explorer) resulted in it being opened in Word 2000.

I can still open .DOC and .RTF files from within Word 2000.  However, if I double click on them outside of Word, Word 2000 fires up and displays the "requesting virus scan" message in the bottom left of the Word tool bar for a couple of seconds, and then nothing further happens (in particular, the file is not opened!).  I am not experiencing a corresponding problem in relation to the Excel, Access, Powerpoint or Publisher components of Office 2000.

I am, not aware of any even remotely relevant changes which occurred at the time the problem first showed itself.  I'm not certain what version of NS I was using when the problem first arose, but I have now upgraded to 22.16.1.4 and the problem persists.

The impression I get is that NS is probably not responding to the scan requests, or is not responding in a manner that Word 2000 can understand.

With earlier versions of Norton products, it was possible to disable the virus scanning of MS Office documents, but I cannot find a way of doing that with what I now have.  In those days it was said that the Word add-in existed in a .WLL file, but I can find no such animal in my machine.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Kind Regards, John

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Word 2000 problem with Norton Security under Windows 10

Hello John

From what I just saw in Google, Office 2000 is not supposed to be used with Windows 10. This might be causing your issues. You can still use Office 2010 for the time being. I think Office 2007 was just stopped as being compatible with Windows 10. You can find some information in this art. The change might have occurred in Windows and not in the change of Norton versions.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-winpc/will-microsoft-office-2000-work-on-windows-10/381df7b9-2a9d-454a-b74b-8de9cacebbc2?auth=1

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

Thanks for your interest.  Yes, that's all true, and I have considered all that. 

All that MS are saying is that Word 2000 is not "certified as compatible" with Windows 10, and my experience until very recently was that it actually worked fine, in every respect.  Something therefore has changed.  The fact that Word 2000 is no longer supported means that it cannot have received any recent updates and, as far as I can make out, there were no Windows updates installed around the time this problem showed its face, but I don't know about Norton (is there a way to see an 'update history'?).  It also seems surprising that the problem is only affecting one component (Word) of Office 2000, and also that it does not arise when a document is opened from within Word 2000.

As I wrote, in previous Norton products, there was an option to turn off (in Norton) the scanning of Office documents when they were opened - there was a setting called "Microsoft Office Automatic Scan" which one could turn off in Norton's Settings.  However, I can find no equivalent in the current version of Norton Security - am I missing it?

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

Hi John Whittington 1 :

The Microsoft Office Automatic Scan feature was removed from Norton products some time around late 2013 / early 2014 - see SendOfJive's comment in the thread Microsoft Office Automatic Scan - Missing From N360?.

What is your Norton product version at Help | General Information | About?  If you have a current version of Norton it should be v22.16.0.247 (available via LiveUpdate) or v22.16.1 4 (only available via the Norton download portals per the product update announcement <here>).  What Win 10 version and build are you running (see the How-To Geek article How to Find Out Which Build and Version of Windows 10 You Have).

Please see Andre da Costa's A Look at Running Older Versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10 for some background information.  Are you running Word 2000 in Win XP Compatibility Mode when you launch the program from an desktop icon / shortcut?  If you right -click the shortcut / desktop icon and choose Properties do you see something like this on the Compatibility tab?

Does the problem persist if you temporarily disable all of Norton's Exploit Protection (Settings | Exploit Prevention | General | Exploit Prevention | OFF).

Just FYI, I have MS Office 2000 Professional SP3 installed on an old 32-bit Vista SP2 computer that runs Norton Security Premium v22.15.1.8 (i.e., not the latest v22.16.0.247 or v22.16.1 4) and don't' have any problem if I launch Word 2000 SP3 first and open a .DOC file or double-click on a .DOC file in File Explorer to automatically open the MS Word 2000 SP3 program associated with this file extension.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * NS v22.15.1.8 * MS Office 2000 Pro SP3

Kudos0

lmacri:

What is your Norton product version at Help | General Information | About?  If you have a current version of Norton it should be v22.16.0.247 (available via LiveUpdate) or v22.16.1 4 (only available via the Norton download portals per the product update announcement <here>)....

Hi John Whittington 1:

Sorry, I just realized you already stated you have v22.16.1.4.

There was a recent issue where some Norton users received an incorrect v22.16.1.4 product update via LiveUpdate that changed the product name from Norton Security to Norton Security Ultra and completely removed the Norton Backup feature for Norton Security Premium users - see Todd D Wauchob's thread Vanished Backup.  Please let us know if you have Norton Security Standard, Deluxe or Premium, and just check to make sure that you didn't get this buggy update that incorrectly downloaded Norton Security Ultra v22.16.1.4.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * NS v22.15.1.8 * MS Office 2000 Pro SP3

Kudos0

Thanks for your interest.

I haven't yet figured out how to manage quoting in this forum, so I'll do without it for now!

Yes, I have  22.16.1.4, but I had some earlier version  when this problem first showed its face.  I downloaded 22.16.1.4 myself from the portal, so I presume I will not have suffered from the bug you mention.  It still seems to be called "Norton Security with Backup" (which was what it was called when I first got it) - am I right in saying that it should now be called 'Premium'?

You say that the Microsoft Office Automatic Scan feature was removed a few years ago, but do I take it that it is nevertheless some sort of Norton add-in which is causing Word 2000 to "request a virus scan"?  If that were the case, and I could find it, I presumably could remove it?

You asked about my Windows (10) version - is it v1803, Build 17134.345.

I do not usually run Word 2000 (from icon/shortcut) in XP Compatibility mode, but I'm not sure that's relevant, since my problem arises when Word 'auto opens' as a result of clicking on a file which is associated with Word 2000.  Even if I already have Word open, double-clicking on a 'DOC or .RTF files causes a new instance of Word to open.

Disabling Exploit Protection makes no difference.

Your experience with Word 2000 under Vista is the same as I was experiencing under Win10 until a week or so ago (i.e. everything was working 'as expected').  Something changed!

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

John Whittington 1:
...I downloaded 22.16.1.4 myself from the portal, so I presume I will not have suffered from the bug you mention.  It still seems to be called "Norton Security with Backup" (which was what it was called when I first got it) - am I right in saying that it should now be called 'Premium'?

Hi John Whittington 1:

Earlier versions of Norton Security Premium used to be called Norton Security with Backup (NSBU). If you ever want to download the latest available offline standalone installer for Norton Security Premium or NSBU the link is https://www.norton.com/latestnsbu for both.  The executable for Norton Security Premium (like all other current products in the Norton Security line) is now named nortonsecurity.exe and is no longer named nsbu.exe.

You say that the Microsoft Office Automatic Scan feature was removed a few years ago, but do I take it that it is nevertheless some sort of Norton add-in which is causing Word 2000 to "request a virus scan"?  If that were the case, and I could find it, I presumably could remove it?

I can't think of anything that would cause Norton Security real-time protection (AutoProtect) to "request a virus scan" for a .DOC or .RFT file unless it was received as an e-mail attachment (E-mail scanning would scan the attachment for malware) or perhaps if the .DOC file included an embedded macro.  It would make more sense if Norton were trying to scan the winword.exe executable on launch.  Guru floplot or someone else might have better insight, but if I double-click a .DOC file in File Explorer I can't see any obvious evidence that my Norton v22.15.1.8 is scanning the file when Word 2000 is launched.

I do not usually run Word 2000 (from icon/shortcut) in XP Compatibility mode, but I'm not sure that's relevant, since my problem arises when Word 'auto opens' as a result of clicking on a file which is associated with Word 2000...

I was hoping the difference in behaviour you were seeing might be due to Compatibility Mode (e.g., no problem if Word 2000 is started first in Compatibility Mode if you launch via shortcut / desktop icon; problem only occurs if you double-click a .DOC file in File Explorer and Word 2000 doesn't launch in Compatibility Mode) but that doesn't appear to be the case.

If you have not already done so, I'd suggest that you disable your Win 10 Fast Startup power option as described in peterweb's thread Windows 8/8.1 or 10 and Fast Start Feature and then re-boot your system a few times after this setting is disabled.  This Fast Startup feature can interfere with product updates and loading of Norton services at boot-up and result in all sorts of odd glitches and unexpected behaviour on Win 8.x and Win 10 computers.  Run a few Norton LiveUpdates after Fast Startup is disabled and see if this solves your problem.

You could also try creating scan exclusions in Norton for your winword.exe executable and see if that helps.  See my post in Jimmy1204's thread I Need Help With a Game for general instructions. The executable for Word 2000 on my 32-bit Vista machine is located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe.

Most users in this forum have little experience with v22.16.1.4 (released 25-Oct-2018) since this version can only be downloaded via the download portals; most Win 7 SP1 and higher users were updated from v22.15.1.8 to v22.16.0.247 via the "normal" Automatic LiveUpdate channel around 10-Oct-2016.  I'll post instructions for a clean reinstall in my next reply - if I understand correctly this will only update you to v22.16.0.247 and you can see if that version behaves any differently than v22.16.1.4.  I haven't even seen the release notes for v22.16.1.4 so I'm not exactly sure what changes were made in this version.

Another possibility is that your Windows Update recently delivered a patch for your Win 10 Version 1803 OS or MS Office 2010 that has somehow changed the behaviour of your MS Office 2000 (e.g., a shared .dll file that is used by both Office 2000 and 2010 has been updated) or your "requesting antivirus scan" message actually refers to Windows Defender or some other security software on your Win 10 machine and not Norton.  The last Patch Tuesday was 09-Oct-2018 so if you're certain your problem only started about a week ago, my best guess at the moment is that the Norton v22.16.1.4 update is the likely cause.  It's difficult to tell since I've never tried running two different versions of MS Office (in your case, Office 2000 and Office 2010) on the same machine, and Andre da Costa's A Look at Running Older Versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10 notes that "older versions of Office such as Office 2007, Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work with or without compatibility mode."

One other thing you could do is to contact Norton Customer Support directly via Live Chat at https://www.norton.com/chat and ask them if there is any change in the way that v22.16.1.4 scans older .DOC (and perhaps .DOCX) files when they are opened.

...I haven't yet figured out how to manage quoting in this forum, so I'll do without it for now!

There are two quote buttons in the editor toolbar.  The first Quote Thread button (highlighted below in red) quotes the text of post you are replying to and automatically adds the username of author; the second Block Quote button (highlighted below in green) creates a blank quote where you can type or copy/paste any text you wish.

Instructions for inserting images (e.g. .jpg, .png, etc.) in replies are posted in Andmike's thread How to Post an Image in the Forums.
-----------

Kudos0

lmacri:...
I'll post instructions for a clean reinstall in my next reply - if I understand correctly this will only update you to v22.16.0.247 and you can see if that version behaves any differently than v22.16.1.4...

Hi John Whittington 1:

As promised, here are the instructions if you're interested in trying a clean reinstall of Norton v22.16.0.247.  Post back before starting if you have any other Norton products installed like Norton Utilities, Norton Ghost, etc. and I'll provide revised instructions.  If this doesn't work, the worst case scenario is that you should still be able to launch MS Word 2000 first and your .DOC and .RTF files should open correctly from File | Open.

1.  Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool (NRnR.exe) from https://www.norton.com/nrt and save to your desktop.  Read the warnings and instruction on that download page.
  2. Download the latest offline installer for Norton Security Premium / Norton Security with Backup at https://www.norton.com/latestnsbu and save to your desktop (see note below).
  3. Uninstall Norton from the Control Panel and choose the option to "Please remove all user data" as shown below. [Warning: This option will remove the old-style Norton Identity Safe local vault (a .dat file stored on the local hard drive and last offered with Norton v19.x) as well as additional static data files (e.g., .txt, .dat, .log, etc.) like your security history logs and personalized configuration settings].
  4. Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool in advanced "Remove Only" mode as instructed at https://www.norton.com/nrt (Advanced Options | Remove Only | Remove) to wipe most of the orphaned files and registry entries left behind during the Control Panel uninstall.  [Warning: The advanced "Remove Only" mode of the NRnR tool will also remove other Norton products like Norton Utilities, Norton Family, Norton Ghost,etc.].
  5. After your system has restarted you should see a pop-up with instructions on how to re-install Norton by downloading the installer from your Norton Account. Instead, close that pop-up and double-click the full offline installer on your desktop to reinstall Norton.
  6. Once Norton is reinstalled run multiple LiveUpdates until no further updates are available and you are patched to the latest Norton version.
  7. Re-boot a few extra times to complete the installation.

Note:  As of 31-Oct-2018 the generic https://www.norton.com/latestnsbu link is offering the full v22.15.0.18 offline installer (e.g., NSBU-ESD-Def-22.15.0.88-EN.exe) so it might take several consecutive LiveUpdates, and a few re-boots, to get patched back to v22.16.0.247.  The v22.16.1.4 product update has not been released to the LiveUpdate channel yet so you should have v22.16.0.247 when you're finished.

Other users who are following this thread and have Norton Security Standard or Deluxe (i.e., no Norton Backup feature) should download their offline installer from https://www.norton.com/latestns in Step # 2 if they want to perform a clean reinstall.
-----------

Kudos0

I can't think of anything that would cause Norton Security real-time protection (AutoProtect) to "request a virus scan" for a .DOC or .RFT file unless it was received as an e-mail attachment (E-mail scanning would scan the attachment for malware) or perhaps if the .DOC file included an embedded macro...

Well, something is certainly "requesting a virus scan" when I try to open any .DOC or RTF file - the great majority of which will be ones I have created myself, on the same machine, and without any macros.

It would make more sense if Norton were trying to scan the winword.exe executable on launch. ...

It would, but I'm not getting the "requesting a virus scan" message when I open Word by clicking on an icon/shortcut. or by running winword.exe directly.  I only get that message if I double click on a file of an associated type.

......if I double-click a .DOC file in File Explorer I can't see any obvious evidence that my Norton v22.15.1.8 is scanning the file when Word 2000 is launched.

I don't think anything (winword.exe or any documents I try to open) is actually getting scanned by Norton - I think that's the problem (a virus scan is requested by there is no response - or, at least, not a response which Word 2000 understands).  Norton is so obsessive about it logs that I would expect to find evidence of any such scans if they had happened - and I see no such evidence in the logs.

If you have not already done so, I'd suggest that you disable your Win 10 Fast Startup power option ... 

If no better ideas are forthcoming, I'll give that a try.

Another possibility is that your Windows Update recently delivered a patch for your Win 10 Version 1803 OS or MS Office 2010 that has somehow changed the behaviour of your MS Office 2000 (e.g., a shared .dll file that is used by both Office 2000 and 2010 has been updated)... 

There are Win10 updates all the time, the most recent having been installed on 18-Oct-2018 (which may have been when the problem started), following the previous 'Cumulative' one of 10-Oct-2018.  There was also a Security Update to Word 2010 installed on 10-Oct-=2018.

... so if you're certain your problem only started about a week ago, my best guess at the moment is that the Norton v22.16.1.4 update is the likely cause.

It was certainly not much more than a week ago that the problem came to my attention, and it can't have started much before that, since I double-click on .DOC files 'all the time'.  However, the Norton v22.16.1.4 update cannot be the cause, since the problem pre-dated that.  It was only when I was looking at Norton for any 'clues' in relation to this r ecent problem (and to see if there was anything I could turn off!) that I stumbled across 'check for updates' and clicked on it 'just to see' and it took me to a web page which invited me to download v22.16.1.4 - so I did.  However, that was only two or three days ago.

Thanks for your continuing interest.

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

As promised, here are the instructions if you're interested in trying a clean reinstall of Norton v22.16.0.247.  

Thanks - that's very kind.  However, since I've seen exactly the same behaviour ('problem') with the version (I'm not sure which) I had until two or three days ago and also now with 22.16.1.4, I'm not sure that a reinstall would necessarily be helpful, would it?

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the circumstantial evidence is pointing towards the Windows and/or Word 2010 updates - and there's probably no point in my 'asking Microsoft', since they'll presumably just tell me that Word 2000 is 'unsupported' and is not 'certified compatible' with Windows 10!

By the way, I forgot to thank you for your advice about quoting in this forum - thanks!!

Kind Regards,  John.

Kudos0

John Whittington 1:

...However, since I've seen exactly the same behaviour ('problem') with the version (I'm not sure which) I had until two or three days ago and also now with 22.16.1.4, I'm not sure that a reinstall would necessarily be helpful, would it?

Hi John Whittington 1:

Be sure to disable Fast Startup and re-boot a few times as a first troubleshooting step.  It's surprising how many Win 8.x and Win 10 users in this forum have fixed a Norton problem by disabling this power setting.

A clean reinstall might not help, but it's always possible the update from v22.15.1.8 to v22.16.0.247 after 10-Oct-2018 corrupted your Norton installation.   I've had a few of these inexplicable glitches appear immediately after a Norton product update over the years - see my comments in bcrown's thread Solved! Norton Causing Explorer.exe to Freeze in Win XP for one example where a clean reinstall fixed one of these glitches on my Vista SP2 machine.  If your problem is actually caused by a bug in a recent v22.6.x update that has to be fixed by the software developers the first thing Norton Customer Service will do is ask you reinstall Norton just to confirm your installation isn't corrupted.

I'm actually surprised Word 2000 was running so well on your Win 10 Version 1803 machine.  I don't know why you're suddenly seeing these "requesting antivirus scan" messages, but since you already have MS Office 2010 installed on the same machine it might be less of a headache to just uninstall MS Office 2000.  You should be able to open your older .doc, .xls, etc. files in MS Office 2010 and save them in the newer newer Open XML formats like .docx, .xlsx etc. so you don't have to constantly switch between old and new file formats. I don't know if that's a practical option for you, though.
-----------

Kudos0

Be sure to disable Fast Startup and re-boot a few times as a first troubleshooting step.  It's surprising how many Win 8.x and Win 10 users in this forum have fixed a Norton problem by disabling this power setting.

It does sound a little surprising but, given that it's a pretty painless thing to do, I'll certainly give it a try!

clean reinstall might not help, but it's always possible the update from v22.15.1.8 to v22.16.0.247 after 10-Oct-2018 corrupted your Norton installation. 

Fair enough, but that would presumably only be an explanation if any such corruption persisted despite subsequent updating to 22.16.1.4

I'm actually surprised Word 2000 was running so well on your Win 10 Version 1803 machine.  I don't know why you're suddenly seeing these "requesting antivirus scan" messages, but since you already have MS Office 2010 installed on the same machine it might be less of a headache to just uninstall MS Office 2000. 

It's seemingly been running 'faultlessly', until this recent issue arose.  Yes, in a technological sense, what you say is the answer - and I wouldn't necessarily have to even uninstall Office 2000; I could merely 'stop using it' and change the file associations.  However, to put it mildly, I do not like (find it inefficient using) post-2003 Office versions, even with third-party add-ins to get rid of the wretched 'ribbons'. Word is, I admit, the least of the problems - Excel is worse and, for me, Access is far worse (I struggle to use Access 2010 at all!).

It's obviously not seeing the "requesting virus scan" message which worries me - apart from anything else, it only pops up for a second or two.  The problem is that the file does not open.

Mechanistically what I'm experiencing seems to be down to differences between different ways of opening a document in Word 2000.  There are at least 3 ways ....

1...Open Word 2000 and then open the file from within Word, using the "Open" dialogue

2...Double click on the file - e.g. in Explorer (with the file type associated with Word 2000)

3...Open it with a command line invocation of Word - e.g. "winword c:\file.doc"

(1) and (3) work normally, as they have done for many years (under XP) - it's only (2) that results in 'the problem'.  As I've said before, the same does not happen with any other components of Office 2000 (Excel, Access, Powerpoint) all of which still work perfectly normally, in the manner that they always have.

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

John Whittington 1:

I can still open .DOC and .RTF files from within Word 2000.  However, if I double click on them outside of Word, Word 2000 fires up and displays the "requesting virus scan" message in the bottom left of the Word tool bar for a couple of seconds, and then nothing further happens (in particular, the file is not opened!)....

With earlier versions of Norton products, it was possible to disable the virus scanning of MS Office documents, but I cannot find a way of doing that with what I now have.  In those days it was said that the Word add-in existed in a .WLL file, but I can find no such animal in my machine.

Hi John Whittington 1:

Further to your comment about .WLL files being one possible cause of this behaviour, I read the MS support article Message Appears on the Status Bar When You Start Word: "Running virus scan".  I searched my entire MS Office 2000 Professional SP3 folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office) as well as my hidden AppData folder (C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData) and I can't find any evidence that my Norton Security Premium v22.15.1.8 update of 13-Sep-2018 added a .WLL file to my computer.

That doesn't exclude the possibility that Norton v22.16.x added some sort of new MS Office plugin or Office document scanning feature, that a recent update to Win 10 Version 1803 or MS Office 2010 changed a registry entry that now automatically activates this type of AV scanning for older Office documents, or that you have some other new/updated security application on your system that triggered the change.

I don't know if this is relevant, but if I start Word 2000 and run a Norton Insight scan (Security | Scans | Norton Insight | Go) I can see my old 32-bit winword.exe executable only has a Good trust rating (likely because MS Office 2000 support ended several years ago).  This is a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if there's a new scan rule that triggers Norton v22.16.x to scan .DOC files if they are opened from File Explorer and associated with 32-bit winword.exe?

If someone reading this thread with Win 10, MS Office 2010 and Norton v22.16.x can't provide further insight it might be time to contact Norton Customer Support at https://www.norton.com/chat and see what they have to say.  Perhaps Guru floplot could bring this thread to the attention of one of the Norton employees to see if they know what might be triggering your "Requesting virus scan" problem when you try to open a .DOC or .RTF file from File Explorer.
-----------

Kudos0

Curiouser and curiouser! ...

I thought I would try temporarily getting rid of Word 2000's normal.dot and normal.dotm template files.  Getting rid of the latter made no difference.  However, getting rid of normal.dot resulted in the "requesting virus scan" message (when I double-click on an associated file) not happening - however, although Word opened, it still did not load the file.

However, when one opens word without a normal.dot, it uses the default template file which exists within Word.  It therefore seems that if Word opens (as a result of a double-click on a file) using this this default template, the virus scan message does not appear, but it does not open the file.  That was obviously not the original Word 2000 behaviour (nor the behaviour I was seeing until recently) and, since there have been no updates for ages, it's not clear what could have 'changed' recently!

If I 'manually' open Word 2000 with its default normal.dot, it behaves normally in all respects (including opening files from within Word).

... so, it continues to be the case that it is all a 'double clicking on a file' issue.

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

Further to your comment about .WLL files being one possible cause of this behaviour, I read the MS support article Message Appears on the Status Bar When You Start Word: "Running virus scan"(link is external).  I searched my entire MS Office 2000 Professional SP3 folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office) as well as my hidden(link is external) AppData folder (C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData) and I can't find any evidence that my Norton Security Premium v22.15.1.8 update of 13-Sep-2018 added a .WLL file to my computer.

As I said, I also cannot find any .WLL files anywhere in my machine.  Nor can I find any conceivably relevant files anywhere which contain "word" or "office" in the filename.  The Word/Office Start-up folxder contains nothing relevant, and Word itself reports no add-ins.

That doesn't exclude the possibility that Norton v22.16.x added some sort of new MS Office plugin or Office document scanning feature, that a recent update to Win 10 Version 1803 or MS Office 2010 changed a registry entry that now automatically activates this type of AV scanning for older Office documents, or that you have some other new/updated security application on your system that triggered the change.

Well, I've certainly installed no other security software.  Does Defender come automatically with Win10 and, if so, could it 'turn itself on'? As for ".... automatically activates this type of AV scanning for older Office documents", not only would that be a bit silly (see below) but it wouldn't explain why the requested scan doesn't seem to happen, and  the document doesn't open.

This is a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if there's a new scan rule that triggers Norton v22.16.x to scan .DOC files if they are opened from File Explorer and associated with 32-bit winword.exe?

Well, for a start, it's not only when I open a .DOC or .RTF file from File Explorer - it happens if I double-click on one of those files anywhere (e.g. if it is an attachment to an e-mail).  However, a 'new rule' such as you describe would surely be a bit 'silly'.  As I recently wrote, there are at least three ways in which I can open a .DOC file in Word 2000 (only one of which is 'misbehaving') - and if they felt that this was a situation which deserved/required a scan, they surely would not have restricted the new rule to files opened by one of those three methods, would they?

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

John Whittington 1:

Well, I've certainly installed no other security software.  Does Defender come automatically with Win10 and, if so, could it 'turn itself on'? As for ".... automatically activates this type of AV scanning for older Office documents", not only would that be a bit silly (see below) but it wouldn't explain why the requested scan doesn't seem to happen, and  the document doesn't open.

Hi John Whittington 1:

Yes, the Windows Defender antivirus is built in to every version of Win 10. I'm not the best person to ask on this subject, though, since my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine is the only computer I own that has Norton installed.

If Norton is running correctly it should automatically disable the real-time protection of your Windows Defender antivirus and Windows Firewall program.  However, I believe the Windows Firewall service is still loaded at boot-up (the Norton Smart Firewall uses certain functions of the Windows Firewall API) and Windows Defender's Limited Periodic Scanning can still be enabled if Norton is installed - see the comments about Limited Periodic Scanning in PsiBrQ's May 2018 thread Windows Defender Flagging Norton Files as Severe about a bug that was observed with a past Insider's preview (beta) build of Win 10 Version 1809.  I don't know if there are any new issues that have been reported when Norton v22.16.1.4 is running on Win 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.345 since most Win 7 SP1 and higher users in this forum are still on Norton v22.16.0.247.

Hopefully one of the Win 10 users will jump in to this thread and correct me if my information about Limited Periodic Scanning is out-of-date or if one of the newer Win 10 security features like Exploit Guard, Application Guard, etc. could be causing this type of problem with MS Word 2000.
-----------

Kudos0

Yes, the Windows Defender antivirus is built in to every version of Win 10. I'm not the best person to ask on this subject,, since my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine is the only computer I own that has Norton installed. .... If Norton is running correctly it should automatically disable the real-time protection of your Windows Defender antivirus and Windows Firewall program.  However, I believe the Windows Firewall service is still loaded at boot-up (the Norton Smart Firewall uses certain functions of the Windows Firewall API) and Windows Defender's Limited Periodic Scanning can still be enabled if Norton is installed

Right.  Yes, Defender is there.  In its settings it acknowledges that it has been disabled because Norton Security is installed - and the "Limited Period Scanning" to which you refer (which, as you said, is available as on option even with Norton running) is 'OFF'.

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

Be sure to disable Fast Startup and re-boot a few times as a first troubleshooting step.  It's surprising how many Win 8.x and Win 10 users in this forum have fixed a Norton problem by disabling this power setting.

I've just discovered that I didn't really need to do this (see ** below), but I have, anyway - and it makes no difference.

[ ** I discovered that Fast Startup does not apply to 'Restarts', even when it is enabled.  During the early stages of trying to troubleshoot this problem, I did many 'Restarts', plus at least a couple of 'hard' re-boots (power and battery removed) - with no effect on 'the problem']

Kind Regards, John

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Eureka!

Having run out of other ideas, I did a 'Detect and Repair' on Word 2000 - and 'the problem' vanished!

Of course, if whatever happened was the work of  a Windows 10 update (or even, maybe, a Norton update), it's far from impossible that the next update will repeat whatever it did to mess up Word 2000 - but it at least looks as if I will now know how to cure it if it arises again!

Thank you very much for your interest, advice and support!

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

Thanks for posting back with your solution. It can help others that might run across this.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for posting back with your solution. It can help others that might run across this.

You're welcome.  Of course, I still don't know what caused it (if not 'spontaneous corruption' of some file, but I rather doubt that).  However, on 'circumstantial' grounds, I still tend to suspect a Windows 10 update and/or a Norton update - in which case, of course, it might recur when further updates arrive!

Kind Regards,  John

Kudos0

With a Windows system, anything is possible. Especially when you are using an 18 year old software package that is no longer supported, on the "latest and greatest" OS version.

Good luck going forward

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

With a Windows system, anything is possible. Especially when you are using an 18 year old software package that is no longer supported, on the "latest and greatest" OS version.

Very true.  Given that the repair solved the problem, I can but presume that whatever did it actually changed something in Word 2000 (rather than just changing the OS in a manner that frustrated the execution of Word).  One might have hoped that, given that "it is no longer supported", Windows (10) updates would not 'tamper with' something that MS were not 'supporting'!

Good luck going forward

Thanks.  As you may have noticed, I also have Office 2010 on this machine - so, if the worst ever comes to the worst, I will not be without a means of doing things - although, as I have said, I much prefer to use the Office 2000 applications when I can!

Kind Regards, John