• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Does Safe Web no longer work with Google, Bing, etc in Chrome?

I recently installed Norton Security on my elderly Dad's new laptop. I have been installing Norton for him for about 9 years now,; one of the reasons is he likes the website ratings in the search engine results. 

Unless something went wrong when installing, or I missed a setting, there are no longer search engine website ratings in Google or Bing - even with the new Norton extensions all installed. Am I doing something wrong, or are website ratings in search engine results now only available when using Norton's proprietary (with Ask.com) search engine? 

Thx

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Does Safe Web no longer work with Google, Bing, etc in Chrome?

Have you installed and enabled the Safe Web  extension in the Chrome browser? It no longer is part of the main Norton Security product installation.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Yes, I installed that and the other extensions offered. Still no website ratings in Google/Bing on Chrome. I also installed Firefox and the Norton extensions to see if it was the same deal, and it's the same as Chrome. Only get the website ratings next to search engine results using the Norton ask.com search engine.

Kudos0

If you still have a Norton Toolbar extension in Chrome, remove that as it is no longer supported by Chrome. It may be interfering with the new Safe Web extensions.

Be sure you have the latest version of the Safe Web extension. I have ver 3.3.0.4 and I see the icons in my Google searches.

Also, as you note Windows 10, be sure you have restarted the computer to ensure everything has been fully updated. Not shutting down and starting up again. If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Windows Fast Startup feature.. See more information here.

Kudos0

Hello

It might help if you made Chrome the default browser.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Chrome is the default browser and it was a new Norton install. I'm going to uninstall, removal tool and reinstall to see if it helps. At least I know someone still has icons in Google/Chrome.

Kudos0

Hi there - Can you confirm if you are on a Windows or a Mac machine? 

Kudos0

It's a Windows 10 PC.

Update, uninstalling/removal tool/ reinstalling fixed it. I have no idea what the deal was but there were definitely no search result ratings in Chrome using Google before, even with Safe Web installed.  All that matters is it works now. 

Kudos0

Thank you for your information. I apologize for the inconvenience. Let me check with the team and have someone reach out to you. 

From our internal testing it looks like annotations are working on Google Chrome Windows. 

Kudos0

I do not get ratings next on web search results either when using WebSafe on Microsoft Edge. 

WebSafe works only to inform me that the current site is safe or not. 

Kudos0

tzon89:

I do not get ratings next on web search results either when using WebSafe on Microsoft Edge. 

WebSafe works only to inform me that the current site is safe or not. 

Those notations now only work with Chrome browser. At this time, what you are seeing in Edge is the way it is designed. Not sure why the icons cannot be displayed in Firefox and Edge. It would seem to be some issue with the way those browsers handle extensions.

Kudos0

Hi sc.country,

It would be helpful, if you can try the below steps and check whether its working for you.

Step 1 - Launch Norton Product UI -> You should see "Online Safety" Pillar in product Main UI, click on the same

Step 2 - If Chrome is your default browser in the machine and both "Norton Safe Web"  or "Norton tool bar" extensions is not installed, you should see a "Set Up Now" button near it, click on the same

If Chrome is not your default browser, then select "Chrome" from the drop down list in the browser section, click on "Set Up Now" button,

Step 3 - If you have Norton tool bar extension alone in Chrome, then you will not see the "Set Up Now" button in product Main UI, so please click on the Norton Tool Bar extension button at the right top corner of the Chrome Window -> Click on "Stay Protected" button from the pop-up which is shown -> From the Portal page which is launched, please install "Norton Safe Web" extension

Now browse to Google.com and perform a search and check whether you see the annotations.

Kudos0

tzon89, I don't get the search result ratings in Edge or Firefox, either. 

asd asd 3, Sorry if you missed my prior comment, I got it working by uninstalling Norton, using removal tool, and reinstalling. I'm seeing the search engine result ratings in Chrome using Google and Bing now. I don't know what the deal was before, but I had followed all the setup steps - they just didn't work.

Kudos0

@ sc.country 

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Its good that you fixed it. Peterweb answered that this feature is not supported in Firefox and Edge, so it's not an error in this case. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.