• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Device Installed blocked by Firewall

I switched over to Norton Security this week on Windows 10 I am running with a LAN connected printer from Ricoh. When I installed your product the Printer was getting an undefined error. There was no indication as to why.  After much struggling and digging a round. I MANUALLY added the printer to the list list of devices trusted so it would print.. I was able to send messages to the printer, to see it, to change settings, all the usual stuff. When I went to print it would have the Data-In Light on or flashing and after a few minutes the printer would go into error mode and not abort the print but just keep trying to talk.  It appears there is a bug in your firewall. Simply stated, If I install a device driver and the driver begins to talk to a device, that should be a clue to your firewall that the device is friendly.  When a message is sent out to the device, that should be a clue to expect a message back from the device for more interchange. The firewall should not kick any response back just because it doesn't have the device on an exceptions list.  The printer is connected through a dynamically created TCP/IP port that is found in the registry when the device is installed. That should be a sufficient clue for the firewall to know that it  can accept traffic from the external device. I should not have to MANUALLY enter each device when I install a driver for it.  I had a similar issue with Remote Desktop Protocol sessions that I had to get help from your support people. In that case the first level support person did not know what he was doing  

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Device Installed blocked by Firewall

I switched over to Norton Security this week

What security product did you have before installing Norton? Did you fully remove it using the removal tool for that product?

If you temporarily disable the Smart Firewall are you able to print correctly?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello

After using the Removal Tool, did you restart your computer? Do you have Fast Startup disabled in Power Management? After installing Norton Security, did you run Live Update several times, restarting as necessary and then running Live Update until it says every thing is installed?

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

What Network Trust Level do you have set in Norton Firewall settings?

Kudos0

I didn't have any entries for the printer. I never had to do so before. There is a registry entry made for the port created during the printer installation. Because the person installing the printer MUST be an administrator I would think the firewall programme would check for the printer in the ports list for the machine and grant it access automatically. The same is true for RDP sessions. Once I have provided a validated network ID and Microsoft ID  it should allow my session from the RDP side to connect through. NORTONS has just recently started exhibiting this behaviour and all these features were working a few weeks ago without all the nonsensical manual setups.

Kudos0

I did not have a package to remove. I used the McAfee uninstall to remove all traces of their product. It asks if I want to leave any licensing information in support of a reinstall   I did reboot the computer after removing the McAfee package just to make sure. SOP for someone who has been using these products for 30 years 

Kudos0

NORTONS has just recently started exhibiting this behaviour and all these features were working a few weeks ago without all the nonsensical manual setups.

Did you have Norton installed and have all your features working, and then things stopped working correctly?

Did you test the printing functions by temporarily disabling the Norton Firewall?  Right click on the Norton icon in the system tray and then Disable Smart Firewall. If you are still unable to print, there would seem to be something else blocking the printer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.